Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Lone Rogue posted:

Well you see, it's like a human game of chess...

These robotized sheep of the New World Odor... (Yes, he really said that)

PlasticSpoon posted:

The WCW announce team was the best. Easily the best team in professional wrestling history. Zbyszko-Heenan-Schiavone was the best.

This is absolutely the correct anwser. You had Play-by-Play, face color, and heel color. Even when they had to talk over the lower-card matches, they didn't really detract from them. I dunno, it just worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Am I the only one that remembers the WWF doing the same thing for a while? Re-running Raw immediately after it finished.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

If memory serves, and correct me if I wrong, Taker couldn't work for poo poo in 95.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Still would have been better than Mabel.

Well, I definitely can't argue with that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

I was out dana-nanaing. They made the No Limit Soldiers and Master P faces and the West Texas Rednecks heels. Baffling decision given WCW's fanbase. Not baffling considering WCW.

My favorite part of this is that, in response, the crowd basically turned heel.

:wcw:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

But two heads are still more than one even if they're also better than one, WCW breaks my brain.

All it's saying is that those two guys are dumb. How loving hard is it to wrap your head around that?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'd agree if "random tag team" wasn't WWE S.O.P. already.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That segment always came across to me like Heenan was making fun of Dusty more than Schiavone.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, if Tony was arguing not to mention Gorilla at all, then fed the audience a line of bullshit about wanting to say goodbye to Gorilla. I could see that upsetting Heenan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

It's actually "Come as As You Are", which is actually ludicrously fitting given the flock. Jericho had an "Even Flow" rip off and that's the extent of my Jimmy Hart rip off WCW knowledge.

Well, there's DDPs 'Teen Spirit' rip off theme, too.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean in his entire career. He refused to feud with him due to the Summerslam accident.

And even then, it wasn't really because of the injury, but how Owen handled it. He never apologized, or even called to check on Austin when he was on the shelf. Right?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, but he's not dating her anymore, so all he gets to feel now are Self High-Fives.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Don't ask him a bunch of questions

Do this, but just because you don't want to be that guy. Seriously, you're meeting the dude, not conducting an interview.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

They're really rather different situations, but I kind of agree with you, it's way too 'Superman-booking'.

The right way to do that, is to have the nWo pull some of their usual bullshit, and Sting keeps fighting it off until it's just too much for him. Then you have Bret Hart run out and make the save, the entire nWo pours out to help Hogan. All looks lost until WCW (Luger, DDP, Giant and a few others) rally around Sting. Patrick ends up getting accidentally knocked out after he's made it clear that he's in Hogans pocket. The nWo and WCW fight each other to the back, clearing ringside, and a legit ref comes out to call a clean 1-on-1 finish where Sting goes over cleanly and decisively.

I'm so sorry for doing that...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

How does this make Hogan look good and everyone else bad?

Well, in theory you do give Hogan some ammo to make heelish claims that "Stinger stole that title, brother! He didn't earn it!"

But, yeah, I get your point. It's why 'Creative Control' is such a completely retarded idea.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jeff Jarrett was always a solid, mid-card heel. The problem was only when he was put anywhere in the general vicinity of the main event.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The one thing I desperately want WWE to do, is bring Ric Flair back as a manager. Have him come back and form a new 4 Horsemen with 4 young guys. Without getting into fantasy booking, Ziggler seems like a natural fit. Of course, they'd never do it right, mostly because they seem to be incapable of running more than one stable at time these days.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

Schiavone was fantastic at making Wrestling sound like it was a sport

This is probably the biggest thing I miss about WCW.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

Disco Inferno had absolutely nothing in common with Steve Austin and he started using a finishing move which is just a seated three-quarter facelock jawbreaker and totally common (in Japan or something), only an idiot would think that he did it because he worked for a petty small-minded company who were obsessed with everything their opposition said and did.

What this had to do with Goldberg is a complete mystery to the rest of us. But I supposed you're right. Bald white guy with a goatee in the mid 90s? Plain black trunks? Those looks are so unique and unheard of outside of the Austin character at the time that it had to be a ripoff!

Saul Goode posted:

only an idiot
Yeah, I'd say you just hit the nail on the head.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That was the one with Stifler and Christopher Walken.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Just once, I want Michael Cole to randomly say that a match is like a human game of chess

Only if Lawler refers to The Shield as 'robotized sheep'.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Tenay was very good at calling moves and generally being a fount of trivia. Dude absolutely knew/knows his poo poo (at least by Wrestling Announcer standards) but is pretty much devoid of anything resembling charisma.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I always liked that Tony was sort of a dweeb, so long as he had someone there to play off it like Heenan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'm pretty sure that call gets brought up on the Bobby Heenan DVD. Heenan even says he hosed up.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

fatherdog posted:

I actually watched ECW on a local cable network that eventually became PAX or something.

I remember watching ECW on PASS Sports at like 2 am on the weekend with Joey Styles and Rick Rude on commentary.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah, GAB 96 was what we watched tonight.

So, how many weeks until we get to Bash at the Beach?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

Wasn't Mongo McMichael a Horseman? If so, there's no contest at all.

You go to hell, Mongo was a treasure. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Chris Gaines posted:

I forgot how terrible Meltzer was at structuring sentences. This hurt my head to read.

The fact that someone who gets paid to write was responsible for that is a goddamn travesty.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

Why? What was Hogan's beef with Scott Steiner?

Ah, I think I see your confusion. What he meant to say was, "Probably not good since we wouldn't get to see the largest arms in the world, brother."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Tony, I just got to heaven and did you know God said Genesis is wrong? It wasn't a snake that told Eve to eat the apple.

It was a weasel!

:smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Bischoff's entire post-WWE existence has been pulling whatever he can out of his rear end to justify why it wasn't his fault WCW went down in flames. Problem being, it was, even more so than Russo.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Pastamania running wild, brother...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Arbite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A

"If you don't like it, tough poo poo!"

Psycho Sid: "I don't know poo poo!" :shobon:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The problem was, Bischoff became buddies with guys like Hogan and Nash so he could pretend to be super cool. So his decision making got wrapped up in making sure his buddies were happy so he could continue to "be cool". At least that's my take on all the things I've read over the years.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's a pretty perfect summation. They only managed what they did by lucking into the hottest angle in history, and they couldn't even turn that into long-term success.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, there's always an uneasy undercurrent to watching Benoit matches now, but there's no denying the guy was just incredible in the ring.

That's a definite understatement, on both counts. I used to watch him do the diving headbutt and writhe around on the mat afterwards and convince myself he was just selling. Now... :smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

To be fair, that mistake gets made a lot (and I think he's right, I believe Tenay did call it Voodoo Chile once) because Hendrix had a song called Voodoo Chile as well. Though it's a very different song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9m2h_O9LY

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

This is such a Vince McMahon thing to do. Sign wrestlers out of spite just to embarrass them under contract.

This thread inspired me to go and check out some of their ECW stuff and man I never need to see them again.

The scary thing is, Public Enemy wasn't half as good in WCW as they were in ECW.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

"Was never a big draw" is such a lovely, disingenuous argument. Nobody's ever a big draw unless the Booker/Promoter puts them in a position to be the big draw.

All you have to do is look at Jericho, Austin, Foley, Eddie Guerrero. All of them were completely wasted in WCW and were never "big draws" there, and never would have been for reasons that have literally nothing to do with their talent or ability.

The draw argument is just a lazy justification for politicking shitheads like Hogan, Nash and HHH to pretend they got away with their more egregious bullshit due to merit. Hogan's a bit of a special case because he likely (almost certainly) would have been just as big of a deal if he wasn't a gaping rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Randaconda posted:

and people aren't Hall of Famers in legit sports unless they are on the right team. It is what it is.

This is so objectively loving false that I'm kind of at a loss as to what to even say to it. Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, Karl Malone, Ted Williams, Ernie Banks...

I mean come the gently caress on.

Low Desert Punk posted:

okay but guerrero and jericho were put into a position to be big draws and failed (Guerrero more so than Jericho, Jericho was just mediocre). Austin and Foley were put into a position to be big draws and succeeded. That's how it has worked for the entire history of professional wrestling, it doesn't take anything away from the performers. I don't value drawing power as much as other people when looking at "the GOAT" but there's a reason why it's a metric used and valued by journalists and the workers themselves.

I'll grant you Guerrero, though my point was more that he'd have never even sniffed the Main Event in WCW, but fair enough. Jericho though? They cut his legs out from underneath him immediately, made their champion the third wheel in a HHH/Stephanie storyline and completely chumped him out. The fact that he managed to remain over at all is a testament to how good he is.

edit: To further my point, look at the current WWE roster where absolutely loving nobody is over for more than 5 minutes unless they wrestled during the Attitude Era. Drawing power has got to be the least important factor in being the GOAT because it's the one that the wrestler has the least direct control of.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 30, 2019