Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Strawberry Panda posted:

A decade later Dustin Rhodes is still playing Goldust after a failed run as some retard named Black Reign.

Goldust is the best thing Russo has ever come up with, isn't it? Well, you know.. aside from the Attitude Era.. Oh and having Tank Abbott join 3 Count.

JavyOO7 posted:

g) Always calling out the competition. Why? Maybe there'd be a point if TNA was highly regarded as a legit competitor to WWE but it isn't. Even if it WAS I see that there's no point but upsetting me because why the gently caress would I want to hear about your competition when I am tuned into your channel? It makes no sense. There's this awesome collection of videos at youtube with Scott Steiner ranting and raving on TNA... and there's a video where it seems like where its his debut where he screams three WWE main eventers and says WWE like a million times. ITS ANNOYING.

This happens to even the greatest of promotions. WWF did this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d6JgyXycXI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP6UP081pys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TL posted:

I love how vicious Cornette attacks Sean Waltman in that video, yet he was back in the WWF less than a year later.

If this video is any indication, Cornette may have just cut the same promo if Sean Waltman was in the WWF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieX_Pd1b9A

Could you ever imagine the WWE today allowing someone to go on a 3 minute tirade about how WWE stinks and "Sports Entertainment" is garbage?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

It was so disappointing considering Russo had been out for a couple of months with a concussion or something, and left the booking to more level-headed people who gave Lance Storm the greatest push of his life. Russo came back and buried him in one match in his home country.

The reason there was a US title tournament for Storm to win is because of Russo coming back and stripping all the titles. Russo most likely gave Storm that push. What Russo giveth, Russo can taketh away.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

No, that was a different US title tournament. Storm signed about 2 months after that tournament.

There were two US title tournaments back to back? I didn't remember that.

Upon looking, Storm won the title one week after Bash at the Beach 2000. Hogan and Bischoff left but Russo had to be still in charge at the time.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

LordPants posted:

Halloween Havok 98 - Jericho v. Raven. Man those themes are horrible, it's like they just reversed the intervals for Even Flow and Come As You Are. Infact, I'm sure that's just what they did. Doesn't make it any less horrible.

Wow, what is wrong with your ears? Jericho and Raven certainly had two of the best themes in not only WCW but in anywhere in wrestling no matter if they were ripoffs or not. The same goes for DDP's theme.

The best part of Raven's theme wasn't even in the original song, (:42 to 1:00) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVUzz3M_D8s, so I would actually say the remix improved it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

El Duke posted:

hahaha you think the soundalike is a better song than Come As You Are and you just asked someone what was wrong with their ears WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?

It's not like we're talking about some great band. We're just talking about Nirvana. Come as You Are is very boring as is every Nirvana song.

The badass guitar solo in the second half of Raven's theme that has nothing to do with Nirvana is what makes the song awesome.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Astro7x posted:

How was Jericho even allowed to go out there any do that stuff if there wasn't going to be a payoff to it? I know, WCW, but still...

This is actually one case where WCW was unquestionably awesome. Wrestlers got free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. If Jericho wanted to just wrestle and never talk, that was cool. If he wanted to talk for 5 minutes before every match and call out the WCW champion on every show, that was cool too. It seemed to be completely up to the wrestler to do what he wanted. It wasn't so tightly scripted and planned out. Because of that, it didn't come off like a soap opera the way WWE does. It came off like a real sports show. If you look at old WCW crowds, honest to god, a lot of the fans seem to believe it was real. Maybe they did or maybe the format just made it easier for them to suspend disbelief.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

When did the show actually start declining drastically in quality? As I've always heard Nitro didn't actually start getting awful for a while after the finger-poke but it's where it can all be traced back to.

About the end of 1998. Everything in 1999 is pretty god awful. I'd even prefer to watch the Russo stuff late in the year over 1999 WCW before he arrived. The Russo era is so crazy, so stupid, and so hosed up that it's fascinating. The first of half of 99 WCW is just bad in the sense that it's boring. It's like WWE today. It's bad but it's not so bad that you can laugh at it. It's not watchable for any reason.

1999 from Jan to about July is the worst product WCW ever put on TV.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

1st AD posted:

The only Jeff Jarrett theme that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7xS3uPwlM

God bless Jimmy Hart and his lovely ripoffs of real songs.

I think your link messed up and you meant to give this one instead.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9axmq_jeff-jarrett-wwe-nwa-theme-1997-199_sport

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Where is Meng and Glacier on that list?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Suben posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbiXtLrXaas

How did Roadblock of all people have such an awesome entrance theme? They couldn't have given the "not quite puro" entrance music to someone better? :psyduck:

It was completely random who got awesome music and who didn't in WCW.

This theme sounds like it should be used on a 15+ year main eventer, but no it was used and wasted on jobber Brad Armstrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thJz9DG8xuMt

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I'd bet he got chewed out in the back which made him go ahead and ditch with Benoit/Eddie/Saturn. Perhaps it was Russo who was crying about his beautiful artistic vision of the Catch as Catch Can match and how Dean ruined this revolutionary match type forever. I can definitely see that leading to a "...Yeah, I'm done here."

Russo was already sent home at the time. And Russo being demoted and replaced with Sullivan is exactly what caused Malenko, Eddie, Saturn, and Benoit to say "Yeah I'm done" and demand their releases.

I know, normally you might think probably think WCW firing Russo would be a good thing for wrestling. It's kind of odd and ironic that WCW ended up losing the 4 best workers in the company over management balking at the idea to put the title on Tank Abbott.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Hirams Bitch posted:

Also the thing about Scotty 2 Hotty is listen to the pops that Too Cool used to get, and then remember that nobody ever gave a gently caress about Brian Christopher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7vkKi6Obk

Attitude Era, please come back.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Oatgan posted:

I think Benoit proved you really don't need to be a huge guy to be dangerous

What time is Souled Out 2000 tonight? :)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Keep in mind that Foley wrote was telling people at that same time that the Rock didn't have it and they should just cut their losses and get rid of him, according to his book.

At the time it didn't look like the Rock had it. And he was in a feud with HHH and won it beating him for his IC title. Can't really blame HHH and HBK for thinking Rocky's push should be stopped. Remember, that push bombed.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

ColeM posted:

I'm amazed that Luger had any reaction at all throughout his career. Speaking of which, has Luger every been interesting???

When he came out to this theme music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1qmItatQDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Russo is a bad booker for sure, but Summer 1999 and then January-April 2000 were so loving boring.

As was TNA"s "good period" before Russo arrived and TNA now without Russo.