Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Kammat posted:

Jesus, Russo really did believe that fans did nothing but follow wrestling on the internet 24/7. Been picking over Death of WCW recently, and reminded me of Heenan's story on Goldberg meeting Mark McGwire, and WCW not doing a drat thing for free publicity.

If this was in 1999, wouldn't that make it pre-Russo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Seven. WCW's attempt at Golddust 2.0.

I believe his name was Se7en. And it was really more like Dustin Runnels as Undertaker 2.0

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Ready to Rumble is now on Netflix Watch Instantly in case anyone is just dying to see it again.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Nobody has asked the real important question about the Hulk Hogan raft:

Does it have a meat drawer?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

BlueArmyMan posted:

If it wasn't Mortis, Wrath, or Glacier I will be very disappointed.

I'm pretty sure it was Wrath.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

haljordan posted:

I like how he said "That's gonna put some butts in the seat!" as if the event had yet to be taped. Oh WCW :swoon:

I think the "butts in seats" is more in reference to Mick Foley as champion.

haljordan posted:

Holy gently caress, Ted Turner turned down $500 million?!

I hope that's not true because that is a ton of money.

Billionaire Ted needed to keep his rasslin' company.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Mystery Opponent posted:

I still can't believe that this is real. For years I thought that it was another case of Meltzer's bad writing, but nope, there it is. This is the Raft before there was a Raft

My favorite part, that I never really noticed before, is that there's absolutely no indication that it's related to either WCW or Nitro.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

haljordan posted:

Please tell me Buffer's salary is in there somewhere

Did he have a salary? I assumed he was paid per appearance.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dario the Wop posted:

It should be noted that it is actually Arli$$ the character, not Robert Wuhl the actor.

The way I remember it, the announcers continually hyped up "Robert Wuhl from Arli$$" throughout the show, but then he joined the announce team in character and did some kind of promo thing in the ring in character, too.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Tried clicking on it and was VERY disappointed

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

So uh, I decided to celebrate the penultimate night of 2016 by getting drunk and watching NWO Souled Out.

jesus christ

I was not drunk enough for the Miss NWO pagent

Miss Cedar Rapids Trailer Trash '97 making out with Eric Bischoff in the grossest way possible

this is my end of 2016

wtf

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

oatgan posted:

what did you think of the concert

Was there an actual concert? I know there was like a lovely buttrock band playing throughout the show while they awkwardly interviewed the Miss NWO contestants, but I don't remember seeing them actually play any songs

exploded mummy posted:

Go wtc Uncensored 1996's semi main and main event next

I've seen it. I expect lovely wrestling matches from WCW, but that beauty pagent was a whole other level

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

slapjack is back causin' mass destruction
guess who's back, the slapjack of wrestling

don't turn your back on the slapjack
you might end up gettin slapjacked

Was there ever a Stevie Ray/Jeff Jarrett feud in late period WCW?

I just looked this up on wikipedia. In late WCW, Stevie Ray was doing color commentary on Thunder while Jeff Jarrett was world champion (he did feud with Booker T). Sadly, there never was a classic rivalry between slapnuts and slapjack.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Tato posted:

There's a laundry list of dumb poo poo WCW wasted money on with no return whatsoever. They mangled and botched so many things. Utterly frivolous spending. Insane. Irresponsible.

Spending money on Voodoo Child was not one of them. The song rules so much it made a balding old rear end leather tanned Hogan strumming a belt like a guitar WORK.

You might even say they got a slight return on Voodoo Child

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

BGrifter posted:

It’s been fun seeing that they actually did a pretty competent job of building Luger up as the big babyface in 1997. Most of my memories of him were as the punchline he eventually became. It’s a little startling just how over he was. Crowds went apeshit for him just standing in the ring posing.

Still a goofy looking fucker though.

Many years ago, I read somewhere that Lex Luger looks like a catfish, and that's all I can think about whenever I see him

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

My memory is failing me, was the thing with a lot of different Stings coming to the ring in WCW or TNA?

I just remember there being some Surfer Stings in among the Crow ones.

It definitely happened in WCW, but since Russo loves to redo stuff that's already been done, it probably happened in both.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't find info on when the Sapphire Condominiums were built but I'm guessing sometime after this show. I can't find a shot looking that direction though; might have been intentional if the building was already there and didn't agree to be shown on TV?

Built in 2006

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/310A-Padre-Blvd-Apt-3102_South-Padre-Island_TX_78597_M81085-98726

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Randaconda posted:

some people call me the asskicker

some call me the gangster of love

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

And then it led to that exchange between Rock and Jericho when the latter debuted.

"Is the Rock supposed to be impressed because you were down south beating some jabroni named Juventud?"

"I took his mask off!"

I'm pretty sure this happened first.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

Every wrestler from the 70s and 80s was 40 until 2015 or so, then they all rapidly aged.

Jimmy Hart has been stealing their youth.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

DJExile posted:

I could see WCW wanting to do their own version of Montreal because they're WCW, and frankly I could also see Nick just loving up and forgetting to fast count. 1996 had so much Heel Nick Patrick combined with Nick just being a standard ref to call regular matches that he routinely hosed up doing normal counts when he was supposed to do fast ones and vice versa. The original Souled Out had a lot of that.

If they wanted to do Montreal, I don't know why they didn't just go all-in on it. Have Hogan put the Scorpion Deathlock on Sting, then have the ref and/or Bischoff declare that Sting tapped out, only to have Bret re-start the match.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was a bit more complicated. Bret would team with Hogan and stuff, but would deny being a member, and I think there was a fake face turn?

Yes, but then later when Russo rebooted the nWo with Jarret, I think Hart officially joined.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Critical posted:

That is a "you gotta be loving kidding" stare if I've ever seen one.

Didn't they do that multiple times and miss almost every time?

Put blocking tape down for fucks sake nobody cares.

Blocking tape doesn't mean anything if you don't actually do a rehearsal run. They probably just assumed it would hit the middle of the ring without trying it first.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Beer_Suitcase posted:

WCW is where the big boys play

Look at the adjective

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

CptAwesome posted:

Why is DDP's theme changed on the network? I know it's a Nirvana rip off but I assumed Jimmy Hart was some kind of master of changing a song just enough to be legally distinct

Jericho's Evenflow ripoff and Raven's Come As You Are ripoff aren't there, either. It might be a legal gray area that WCW happened to get away with, but WWE doesn't want to take the risk.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Red posted:

Once he ditched trying to sing, the guitar didn't make sense to carry. The hunting glasses or whatever never made sense, either. Jeff Jarrett is like the Cobra of wrestling gimmicks - they just kept giving him more and different poo poo to set him apart, except no one really cared, and it didn't work. (Cobra's Stallone had an old timey car, chewed a matchstick, a super gun, reflective sunglasses, and on and on).

Then again, HHH never really had a reason for carrying a sledge, so maybe I should give up.

Did Jim Cornette ever really have a reason to carry around a tennis racket?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

Was this before or after clean-shaven by Kevin Sullivan (and totally looks like John Cleese) Dark Side Hogan and his Hulkamanioids?

Hogan in the cave was a couple of months before he turned slightly to the Dark Side.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

The scrubs should not have been allowed in the NWO proper but instead been called something else to exist as their enforcement stooges.

To be fair, they kind of did do this after the Fingerpoke. When Hogan joined the Wolfpac, the scrubs were all still the nWo Black & White B-Team.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

rujasu posted:

I liked Buffer when I was a kid watching WCW, but I can't imagine many adults were buying the PPV's to hear his "Ready to Rumble" bit for the 1000th time.

I think it's important to remember that it wasn't just PPVs. Buffer was on most Nitros for a while there, sometimes multiple times per night, so it's even dumber. Honestly, if they had just used him for PPVs it wouldn't have been a bad idea at all.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

WUMMUN

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

collocation posted:

always thought it was weird a guy that pale was billed from Death Valley when, dead or not, he woulda gotten the worst sunburn ever

Well he obviously was buried underground at Death Valley so he wouldn't have a sunburn or a tan or anything.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Tato posted:

some guy at a local toy store sold a huge wrestling collection that is just 100% Kevin Nash. WWF, WCW, and TNA stuff, but ALL of it only focused on Big Sexy. I've been impressed looking at all the junk, from nWo shirts in plastic mugs to Kevin Nash walkie talkies.

https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=kevin+nash&post_type=product
https://www.crowemagtoys.com/next/?s=nwo&post_type=product

But this is the piece that convinced me I have to go over and buy something

I would be unbelievably happy if Kevin Nash himself had this on his car.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this some sort of special bonus thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQhaVVSFjBA

I don't recognize the interviewer(although that doesn't mean much) and they say "exclusively on DirectTV."

There was some kind of DirectTV exclusive thing where they would show extra bonus content like this instead of commercials during Nitro. It was called Backstage Blast.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Red posted:

Pretty sure he'd be the second after Hogan, brother.

Hogan wouldn't need a raft. He'd just swim it while holding Andre the Giant over his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There was a terrifying one where a fan came into the ring and pushed over a ladder while Eddie Guerrero was on top of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBSAkvyf5Ys