Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
For what it's worth, they were safety scissors.

loving safety scissors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minges
May 4, 2006
As a Kansas Citian, I know like twenty people who saw Owen die legit, fifty with fake stories.

Not a single person I know other than this one retarded kid I know saw Kanyon take his bump.

Minges
May 4, 2006
They're giant wrestling nerds who had infamy among the same target audience of the Attitude Era and work cheap!

And their sins in the wrestling world are forgiven because of Strangle-Mania.

Minges
May 4, 2006

Sugar Blaster posted:

Was that the match where they built to it on TRL?

Sort of, DDP was the guest on some MTV show. I'd say TRL but I think TRL always had an audience and this didn't. It was whatever host and Matthew McConnaughey (I remember because Raven called him McWannabe) and Dave Grohl and Page was showing highlights of the 3way. They did some interview and Raven showed up on a monitor because he was separated because he couldn't play along...just like in school or some Raven heel poo poo.

So as Page is being interviewed Raven shows up in the studio and drills him with a stop sign.

I was happy because Raven, my favorite wrestler in high school, was on MTV which was the bastion of cool when I was a kid. I was sad because it was totally loving lame with an old guy (Raven) on a channel that used to be cool.

Minges
May 4, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

How was Raven an old guy in spring of 1998? I thought that was a really loving cool angle when WCW played it in highlight form, since if I remember correctly DDP gets DDTed onto a coffee table.

To clarify I thought it was cool as hell and it kept me a strong Raven fan. However, and I was pretty murky about this before, it was a 35ish dude or so playing a grunge rocker about seven years too late on the channel that was once cool.

Rocked my world but I was hoping it would make wrestling cool to the other kids at my high school. Ended up looking, to them, just as silly as anything in wrestling aside from DX and Austin 3:16.

^^^^ put it pretty drat well. As a wrestling fan it was really neat and interesting. To regular dudes it was just more wrestling poo poo.

Minges
May 4, 2006

coconono posted:

I have some PPVs from 2001 I'm currently watching through.

first up is Spring Stampede: REVENGE, about two matches in.

thoughts:
great video package opens up the show. Similiar to what TNA was doing during its not completely poo poo perioud.

Animal shows up and murders Billy Kidman. That's really surreal.

Shane Helms is over as gently caress, what the hell??

Hugh Morris and The Wall worked towards a pretty decent match.

"Sugar" Shane was pretty built up by the company and was one of the last things they did right. He had a cool looking moveset, cooler music and would have had a cool look if he weren't a meth-wiry chinstrapped comic book redneck with braces.

Minges
May 4, 2006

Raeg posted:

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

Kip Frye was a badass and would have turned the company around given time. He was excited to run WCW and gave said bonus to whomever had the best match that night on big shows. He liked people that the crowd liked and didn't seem to care about politics because he didn't know or care. He was like if Jim Herd had fun with his job and the wrestling world would have been mad different if he were Vic Venom.

Minges
May 4, 2006
Somebody please speak up, if you know the answer. What the gently caress was the deal with Jerry Flynn? I watched every WCW show (shut up), and I don't know why he was there. His chest hair? His redneck Steve Blackman vibe? His poo poo mullet? "Lightning Foot?" His inexplicable temporary association with Jimmy Hart's lovely WCWSN version of the First Family? His later Russo-created specialty of fighting in the basement in lovely hardcore matches? What the gently caress was the deal and why was he always there? For gently caress's sake, he was on Starrcade '98. That's like a middle-aged, immobile, ugly Darren Young being on Wrestlemania.

I'm sorry, I just forgot about that inexplicable son of a gently caress and all those high school memories of yelling about him with my friends just rushed back.

Minges
May 4, 2006

blunt posted:

That's a pretty dull set, but it doesn't seem dangerous

No, that's the very last one. The dangerous one, and me too dumb to post pictures, was a massive version of the wCw logo with the giant C. It slid open and the wrestlers exited from the middle. The dangerous part came because the middle was, of course, a giant C that was the floor of the ramp. What was it made of? Slick metal!

Minges
May 4, 2006

I posted:

So, which was the ramp that Juvi kept falling on his rear end on?
(Don't blame the meth).

Blame the Juvi Juice.

He fell a lot, but SO many people ate it on that giant C.

Minges
May 4, 2006

Felony posted:

Thats one hell of a trio right there. HBK, Ahmed and Sid.

That reminds me of when I did backyard stuff (yes I know) and the best guy in our group started a stable with the worst two guys in our group.

"Why the gently caress do you want to be with them?"
"I don't have to wrestle them anymore."
"...:aaaaa:"

Minges
May 4, 2006
For what it's worth, Hammer wasn't there for the full ten years. He took most of the mid-90's off before reappearing in a mesh shirt with the nipples cut out in the Flock.

Minges
May 4, 2006

DreamingApe posted:

from the top of my head, ravens flock consisted of:

Raven (duh)
Perry Saturn
Van Hammer
Lodi
Scotty Riggs
Sickboy
Reese
Kidman
Kanyon

I think Sickboy wins as the most forgettable member of the Flock. I can't even remember him wrestling.

edit: somehow I always confuse Kurrgan and Reese.

HORACE! You could tell he was a degenerate because he wore black jeans and a kinda flannel-y vest thingy.

When I think dark and counterculture I think Horace.

Minges
May 4, 2006

LordPants posted:

When was "GOOLDBERG!! WHY ME!!!!!" and the whole Sid's car thing.

That ruled. Was that pre suck? or during the suck period?

During the suck period. There were a lot of bright spots after Starrcade '98 but that was the point where everything started to decline. I think the last WCW show I didn't watch alone was the Nitro after Spring Stampede '99. It just immediately felt smaller and sadder. Sid didn't come in until well after that.

Also I miss ddtdigest.com. Totally my favorite wrestling site back then.

Minges
May 4, 2006
Linked from the Raven vs. Renegade match above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ER-4uVAgho&feature=related
Super Invader, who is totally from Bangkok, vs. Jason, the most useless man in ECW. God I loved the randomness of old WCW undercards.

Minges
May 4, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I'll do this. You think I'm kidding but I'm not, I'll do this.

I'm still sad your '98-99 RAW project tapered off.

Minges
May 4, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Ballet could be twice as tough as anything else on the planet and it would still be half as tough as Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Could only read that in Jim Ross' voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minges
May 4, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought Raven killed Pepe. Did it die multiple deaths?

Raven shredded Moppy in pretty much the exact same angle.

edit: darn