Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bartok
May 10, 2006

I hated Bobby Heenan's announcing in WCW it just seemed so phoned in. The only time Bobby seemed to be on top of his game was when he was paired with Dusty and Tony Schiavone. Mainly because him and Dusty would rightfully poo poo all over Tony any chance they got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

He's still a millionaire from the money he made selling off the Vitamin Water brand, IIRC. He never has to work another day in his life.

That is 50 Cent not Master P.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Does anyone remember P.N. Newz? He has the distinction of being the first face I ever booed at a live event. If I remember correctly he lost to Stunning Steve Austin in a match for either the TV or US Title. I don't know why as a 7 year old mark I hated him so much.

bartok
May 10, 2006

So was Tony Schiavone really terrible because he just phoned it in or was he just really incompetent?
The only time I could tolerate Tony was when he was joined by Bobby Heenan and Dusty Rhodes. I hate to say it but that was my second favorite announce team. First of course being Bobby and Gorilla.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I can only remember two Van Hammer matches. One was his surprisingly fun Falls Count Anywhere match against Cactus Jack. The second match I remember happened during his time with Raven's Flock where he gets squashed in under three minutes by Chris Benoit.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Here is an odd but pretty solid squash match between Macho Man and Billy Kidman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSsyW9NZyZg

If you are wondering who is joining Bobby Heenan and Scott Hudson on commentary it is Robert Wuhl from Arli$$ in character. For those who thankfully don't remember Arli$$, it's an HBO comedy about a sports agent. Just think Jerry Maguire meets The Larry Sanders Show minus the comedy. Robert Wuhl spends the entire commentary talking up Dennis Rodman as the savior of WCW.

None of that is important because something magical happens at the 7 minute and 55 second mark. There is also an opening promo where Randy declares his candidacy for President and a post match showdown with Dennis Rodman.

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

he also swore on live television right after their push to go PG.

I miss WCW-era Vader. Looked like he was legit killing people in the ring. You just don't see that kind of mauling today.

Didn't Vader legit injure a bunch of people?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Why did the Steiner Brothers leave WCW and why did they leave WWF to return to WCW?

bartok
May 10, 2006

If I remember right WCW Saturday Night became less of a squash show and more like the current NXT towards the end of its run. It even had storylines that were separate from Nitro and Thunder.
I think Hacksaw Jim Duggan only defended the TV Title he found in the garbage against jobbers with various foreign stereotypes gimmicks on Saturday Night.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I stopped watching WCW right before Hogan joined and didn't start watching again until the NWO began. The clips I've see of Hogan's face run seemed very cartoonish. How was the WCW midcard during that time?

bartok
May 10, 2006

You forgot about Horace Boulder in your NWO list. I think Horace was initially part of Raven's flock until they realized he was Hogan's cousin and promptly had him join the NWO.
There was also this weird period of time where NWO was made up almost entirely of midcarders and Stevie Ray was the leader.

bartok fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 19, 2012

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ktik posted:

I only copied the original NWO. Horace joined in the second incarnation (after the fingerpoke of doom) along with Disco Inferno. My list was NWO Hollywood, you're thinking of NWO Elite (Hogan, Nash, ect) and NWO B-Team (jobbers).

You're right. Fingerpoke of doom was around the time when I switched to watching Raw live and recording Nitro and would fast forward through most of the promos.

So is V.K. Wallstreet just Mike Rotunda reprising his Michael Wallstreet gimmick with an added jab at Vince McMahon?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Audio only pro wrestling seems worse then listening to basketball or hockey on the radio.

bartok
May 10, 2006

How did Ed Leslie go from Zodiac to Booty Man?

bartok
May 10, 2006

It wasn't a Nitro unless it ended with the ring covered in garbage.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I thought Lex Luger was kinda enjoyable during the end of WCW in his tag team with Buff Bagwell. It was fun because they were playing parodies of themselves.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I remember seeing that episode. They jobbed to the unstoppable tagteam of Shannon Doherty and Alyssa Milano.

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

Huh, I always thought Bagwell's calf implants were just a hokey myth.

I read in The Death of WCW that one of The Harris Boys had pec implants that resulted in an off-center nipple.

bartok
May 10, 2006

triplexpac posted:

WWE needs to reproduce this angle exactly, with Cena in the Hogan role

Would that make CM Punk the Kevin Sullivan and Paul Heyman that old guy that just sits there?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Luger was one of those guys I only really got excited about if he was facing someone I really hated like Hollywood Hogan or Yokozuna. Outside of that he was the guy that played second fiddle to guys like Sting in WCW or Bret Hart in the WWF.

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

I wanna know just how much Russo was involved in getting the world title onto Booker T. I think that was his real lasting contribution to WCW.

Wasn't Booker T's first World Title win an impromptu match against Jeff Jarrett?

bartok
May 10, 2006

What is the story behind Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan not getting along?
I've heard the story about Gorilla Monsoon's death and how Bobby had to fight to be able to say a few words about his friend on Nitro. Even before Monsoon's passing there seemed to be some real deep seated animosity between the two.

bartok
May 10, 2006

nasboat posted:

Schiavone got worse as time went on. His habit of calling everything a "sidewalk slam" was pretty annoying.

Still better than Vince, though.

Tony was never great but going through the WCW archives you can hear him gradually get worse and worse through the years. I actually thought Tony was alright during his short stint in the WWF. I also enjoyed the announce team of Shiavone, Heenan, and Rhodes but only because Dusty and Bobby would make fun of Tony the entire time.

bartok
May 10, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Probably was.

I just remember seeing a shoot interview with someone regarding it, and they stated that Dusty was meant to kayfabe the draw, to ensure you'd get intentional teams. Instead he did legit just draw names out of a hat, and booked around that.

As I said, Windham/Muta is the one that springs to mind.

They were a surprisingly great combination along with their opponents Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Watching that La Parka video reminded me how much I hated Buff's finisher. It looks like Buff is helping his opponent give him a vertical suplex or it is part of a tag finisher that is missing Scotty Riggs having the guy up on his shoulders.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Rock has starred in a few movies that made a shitton of money. Granted they were crappy, but still.

I genuinely like No Holds Barred and Suburban Commando but I will admit they are bad movies

bartok
May 10, 2006

Did Hogan and Nash ever have a "legit" singles match?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I like Nash and all but he contradicts himself just as much as any other wrestler in trying to claim that he's not a mark for himself to some degree. In various shoot interviews he always goes on about how wrestling is just a job, and he didn't care about winning or losing, and he was just there to make money, and all that sort of thing.

To be fair to Nash you do make more money when you are in the main event and you stay in the main event by winning.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Numero6 posted:

My favorite match in those Spring Break shows was Ric Flair vs Rey Misterio Jr. where I was almost convinced he'd win the WCW world title after hitting the hurricanrana from the top-rope.

I never hated Arn Anderson that much on this night.

I remember that. I was such a huge Misterio mark that I hated Arn Anderson until he delivered that incredible spine buster to The Undertaker at WM 18 several years later.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I always thought Booty Man's crowning achievement was trying to join the NWO by presenting Hogan with an NWO themed cake.

bartok
May 10, 2006

oatgan posted:

Am I the only one that always hated Raven? Every angle was the same and they always felt like he was writing his own fanfiction about how awesome Raven is.

I remember liking his feud with Chris Benoit and DDP. I loved his short lived WCW face turn with Perry Saturn as his tag partner.

bartok
May 10, 2006

cool-haired luke posted:

i dont hate raven but i do find his smug "look at me im so smart" poo poo really obnoxious

That is why I liked him better in WCW because he actually got his comeuppance unlike in ECW.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Didn't they also have plants throw things and rush the ring on a few early occasions, to encourage their fans to be the worst loving people?

I don't want to believe WCW actually encouraged fans to throw stuff and try to get in the ring. Though WCW being WCW, that wouldn't surprise me. They got really lucky they didn't get fans chucking batteries at the wrestlers or had some crazy enter the ring with a knife.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Anyone else hate the Atlanta Braves for occasionally delaying WCW Saturday Night?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Did Ed Leslie ever have a match as The Disciple? Thinking back on it I can't remember a single one.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I don't know if it was intentional but I am pretty sure The Venture Bros. made a Yetay! reference. Basically Brock Sampson sneaks into a Guild ran nightclub disguised in a Yeti Mummy costume.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Rodney the Piper posted:

I think you're thinking of Space Ghost.

I am sure it is possible Randy Savage did some VO work for The Venture Bros but it was probably a random thug who did not talk about how Haystack Calhoun was a mountain of a man.

bartok
May 10, 2006

AKMoose posted:

I feel embarrassed for getting confused because I was one of the world's only Glacier marks.

Are you Screamin' Norman Smiley?

bartok
May 10, 2006

Red posted:

How odd, then, that every War Games match had the bad guys winning the coin toss. :raise:

Didn't the TNA War Games equivalent have the faces win the advantage a couple of times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

I have never seen Zack Ryder merch in national chain stores.

It all went to poo poo quickly, but the nWo/Sting rivalry dominated 1997.

They also used to sell DDP merch in national chain stores. As much as I love DDP, he does not deserve to go into the Observer HOF.