Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Pick posted:

I have a Cintiq 21x and whenever I am not near it, I want to cry. It is essentially the love of my life. To be fair though, I could do essentially the same work with my old Intuos 3. The biggest difference is I use "Undo" less and my digital inking is more accurate.

This. I love my Cintiq as well. There's nothing you can do with a Cintiq that you can't do with another tablet, but it just makes everything so much faster and more precise. Also it's just a generally pleasant experience using a Cintiq. You feel more like you're actually drawing (or doing whatever it is you're doing with a tablet) than just using an extra spiffy mouse. I recently brought mine into the office as I wasn't using it enough at home and had to bring it home a few days later because all my coworkers wanted to use it all the drat time.

However they're extremely pricey. An Intous can and will do pretty much everything you'll probably ever need a tablet to do. So if you don't have around two grand just lying around for a Cintiq, get an Intous.

Bamboos are not great. They're fine for a starter tablet, but they're not super precise and don't have all the same options for calibration. Anyone at all will outgrow them within a few months, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I realize this is the Wacom thread but...

bitmap posted:

anyone playing with the ipad pro and duet display?

I'm curious about this too. Does anyone have experience working an ipad as your main drawing tablet? Seems like there's enough software and hardware out there that it might be a reasonable replacement for a Wacom, even if you're not using duet display. My Cintiq is about ten years old now and is trying real hard to kick the bucket and I'm looking for a replacement that isn't such a one trick pony. I use it mainly for quick UI sketches and occasionally for drawing stuff that will actually be printed/used on the web at large sizes.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

iOS software is good - I really like Procreate - but it's not my main drawing tablet because I don't have a Pro/Pencil and I can't get anything worthwhile out of styluses without digitizers. Assuming the Pencil fixes that the main issue you may run into is memory; iOS software is limited in the resolution*number of layers it can handle (e.g. a 1080p image on the Mini 2 can only have 44 layers, a 4K image can only have 10).

Cool, I'll have to check that out. I got a Pencil recently but didn't realize half the features wouldn't work with my old iPad. So it's basically a big dumb stylus. I'm curious if, with a more modern iPad, the tilt/pressure functionality is on par with a Wacom tablet?