Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

After a long, long time spent deciding, I was going to upgrade my Wacom Graphire4 (A6) to an Intuos4 small. When I finally went looking, it turned out the Intuos5 had been released, so after more decision-making I was thinking of getting the Intuos5 small Pen and Touch-my line of thinking being that I may as well get the most recent one, and better to have the touch features than not. I settled on the small since I'm used to the A6 Graphire, and tend to work with my wrist rather than my shoulder. I tried out a medium in a store, though not for very long, and it seemed possibly a bit too big. That might change if I were able to use it for longer, though. It would also be used in place of a mouse so for general use small seemed best. I can get it for around £160.

However, the place where I was going to get it is selling Intuos4 small for £100, and medium for £150, both clearance offers. Now I'm torn again, because that's pretty cheap for both, but it's mostly the medium that interests me-especially if I were to get a decent desktop eventually instead of a laptop, and a nice large screen, then it seems like a medium tablet could be better.

I use a tablet for digital drawing and painting, as well as general use. Anyone have any thoughts? Mostly medium vs small, whether the Intuos5 is a worthwhile improvement, what else should I consider.

Is this thread also appropriate for asking about experiences with the Inkling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No Beer Left posted:

I like the medium better than the small... I think the large is too large for a desk that has a keyboard as well.

I didnt know this when I bought mine, but the touch feature makes it so the draw surface is non-replaceable in contrast to the Intuos4 or the non-touch models.

If you are tight on desk space, small might be better.

Here is a pic of my Intuos5 medium

Thanks for the photo. I didn't think about replacement surfaces. My old Graphire4 has taken a lot of abuse over the years, and though it's scratched to hell it's due to the pen that I'm finally getting around to replacing it with a newer one, so damage to the tablet itself never occured to me. Why do you like the medium more than the small?

Reading back through the thread, there were a lot of comments about getting the Intuos3 instead when the Intuos4 came out, due to various issues. Is the Intuos5 an improvement over the 4, ignoring the touch features? Is it as bad at wearing down nibs?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

No Beer Left posted:

I replaced a Bamboo Fun medium, so I just went for the medium. The medium is almost too big. Just didnt want to buy something that I found was too small.

I found out about the replacement surface issue after I bought it :(

The surface of the Intuos5 is more natural feeling, but apparently it is same as the 4, with nib wear. I am currently using 3/Fun nibs in my 5 pen to see if the issue is the nibs rather than the surface.... but I havent had much tablet time recently.

I'd probably find something to cover the surface with so the texture is less of an issue, like a screen protector. Can you change the useable area of the tablet, so that it would be smaller for things other than drawing?

I definitely want the Intuos5 small touch, but am still unsure about grabbing the Intuos4 medium while it's cheap to at least try it as well.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Interstitial Abs posted:

Would a 4 x 6 Wacom Intuos just drive me crazy? Does anyone like working with the small?

Friend has one through his work used for $70... I'm wondering if I should hold off and buy a bigger one.

I prefer the smaller working areas, and it suits my personal style of working, but medium is probably best for drawing and painting especially if you have a larger screen. Can you borrow it to try it out? Or just get it and sell it on if it's too small for you?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Does anyone here have an Inkling? Or has anyone used one before?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Skogul posted:

Holy hell, I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I've only had the tablet for a week and I've changed out the nibs twice already. The tablet has this really rough, almost paper-like, texture to the surface of it and I'm grinding the nibs down from normal use. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I just be using a different type of nib in general? (I've grinded down the spring-loaded nib and one black, normal nib.) Look at this beast! It's like a crazy chisel!

Looks like my current pen-but mine is a Graphire4 pen, after about seven years of use. That's really after one week? Wow.

Would putting something like a screen protector over the drawing surface help, or would it throw off the pen at all? That's what I'm planning to do when I get an Intuos5, but haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I finally gave in and got an Intuos5 small, but don't dare use it until there's a screen protector of some kind on the drawing area. Plus, my little Graphire4 is just so conveniently sized for casual computer use, and I heard the Graphire and Intuos drivers interfere with one another.

Can anyone recommend a good case/sleeve for an Intuos5 small? Is the official one any good?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Does anyone else like or even prefer the smooth tablet (either kind) surfaces? I went from a Wacom Graphire4 to an Intuos5, and after hearing so many complaints about the texture wearing nibs down, I put one of these on before ever using it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/atFoliX-Screen-Protection-INTUOS5-Protector/dp/B00BR1XY8Q/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It's been around five months of daily use and the pen nib is still basically as new, and I really don't mind the smoothness at all, but maybe it's just because it's what I'm used to

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm glad there's a screen protector on my Intuos because the pen just straight up sliced a permanent cut into it a few times. Had and used it for almost a year now and never changed the nib or noticed any wear on it, but now and then it just cuts a deep gouge into the protector.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

I usually place a light piece of cardstock on the drawing section of the intuos, if I'm using it.

Digitizer works just the same, plus tablet is protected, plus, you get a bit of tooth out of the paper.

I'm one of those terrible people who prefer smooth surfaces for the tablet, so the protector was for that reason too

Dogcow posted:

Apparently by default the pressure curves for the Wacom digitizer make it really hard to get 100% pressure which might mean you're pressing too hard: Ctrl-paint dude has a video on fixing this in a config file somewhere, in typical Wacom fashion: http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/100-brush-pressure-less-fatigue

Also the nibs can tend to get sharper the more you use them so switching out for a new one might help too.

In the standard Pen Properties/Tablet Properties, with the thing that shows you the current pressure, I do have to press really hard to get the maximum. Apparently my usual use is only around half pressure. Not sure at the moment what the pen feel options do/the benefits of changing them. If I'm apparently only pressing around half to two thirds of max pressure for painting, and tend to just increase brush size rather than press harder for pressure sensitive brushes, do you think it's probably still better to increase the sensitivity and get used to it? I'm a little wary of playing around and breaking anything, since this tablet hasn't had any issues since day one and you sometimes see a lot of complaints about constantly having to restart programs or drivers etc.

windex posted:

Clip/Manga Studio has an awesome feature: http://www.clipstudio.net/en/promotion/trial_tour/001/

Use it every day before you start drawing. Always get consistent lines.

That's pretty cool, will try it out sometimes. Non-shaky/decent lineart has always been one of the hardest things to achieve digitally for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My laptop crashed for whatever reason, and since coming back, my Intuos 5 has been completely hosed:

-Settings were gone/reset to default
-Cannot scroll with the pen any more
-Clicking text boxes brings up Windows handwriting window
-Circles when clicking despite turning effects off
-Random one but click/dragging the scroll bar in Spotify is reversed with pen. As in, if you click and drag down as you usually would to scroll the bar down, nothing happens. Scroll up, and it goes down
-Click and drag won't select or highlight, it only highlights once let go, but tapping again deselects everything
-Using pen to click tabs seems to cause slowdown? Can that happen? Firefox is fine using the touchpad, but freezes if pen is used
-Lagging slightly in Photoshop, but maybe that was usual. openCanvas was fine. No zoom/scroll issues like reported over a month ago

I've restarted, reinstalled drivers, etc. but that did nothing so I tried searching around. Most issues cropped up a month ago, and were supposedly solved by an update around then, so that doesn't apply to me now. That was also a slightly different issue (something about scrolling when zoomed?) so not sure it's the same cause as my issues.

I'm reading about how Windows Ink is the issue and disabling it (if possible) might fix the issue, but it also removes pen sensitivity, which I want for drawing programs. I'll keep looking but does anyone have any ideas or know how to fix this?

Edit: After reinstalling drivers, checking for Windows updates (it was updated), restarting, I unchecked "use Windows Ink" in the Wacom settings centre. It appears to be working fine now, though I'm sure that didn't work last night. Pressure sensitivity is still there in Photoshop and openCanvas, zoomed in to test and it works normally

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 25, 2018