Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, I'm a hobbyist these days with a deep disdain for Wacom's lovely gatekeeping re: the Cintiq, am not super impressed by the ONE given its limitations, and am not really into the idea of dropping $700+ for a low-end Cintiq (w/ stand) when there could be something better out there.

I've heard a lot of talk about iPad, but I don't really know that I want to pay that much for what would effectively be a drawing tablet. Yes, it'd be nice to use at work, but at work, I'm mostly using traditional media anyway, so it's not a niche that needs filling, save maybe to save on space in my work bag. Given the price of an iPad, is ProCreate worth it?

Huion is the one that keeps floating to the surface, and I've been eyeballing the 16 Pro for a while now. I saw the earlier review of the 13, and something mentioned about the tilt pen? Anyone feel like filling me in on the current Cintiq alternatives and their pros/cons, or linking posts in this here thread that I can pick through?

EDIT: To be more precise with what I'm looking for--

Though I'm a hobbyist, I still like to sketch/shade/color in my spare time, and have been doing it a lot more these days. I'm mostly looking ahead to the model that I'll eventually want to purchase rather than going the baby steps route, so-- larger screen, fully featured, etc. Or would baby steps be more worthwhile here, in spite of that ultimately costing way more money?

I've primarily used Wacom's Intuos line for going on a decade now, and while my recent Pro has been serviceable, it's five years old, and I just-- really want a display tablet already.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^^ Where did you find one second hand?

the_lion posted:

I've had my Huion for 2-4 years now, pretty happy with it given how much I paid for it. I'd check out one of those tech reviewers like Brad Colbow on YouTube and Amazon for up to date model reviews (they don't sell mine anymore). Mostly, the difference is when you draw a slow diagonal line with any of these non Wacom monitors is that you'll get line wiggle. I haven't noticed it at all on mine. Using OSX and windows 10 if that matters to you.

There's a heap of brands now, Huion and XP-pen are just two of them. iPads are great though, I wish that's been an option and had more software support (eg ZBrush) for my usage.

I'll be primarily using it on a Win10 machine, so it does! I'm upgrading my PC soon and figure the tablet will be next. Which model appears to be the best economical/functional fit is what'll determine how quickly that'll happen. But yeah, Huoin continues to get mentioned as having the least issues w/ parallax (that's the wiggle thing, yeah?) and the experience closest to Cintiq w/o the pre-requisite of hemorrhaging money.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

lofi posted:

Absurd prices for no reason than the brand name.

It's this. Cintiqs have not gone down in price for over a decade, and the concession "budget model" that only came out in 2019 is still over $700 if you want a stand.

You're going to want a stand.

The only reason Wacom started making more affordable models is because iPad's ProCreate and other competitors were finally starting to chip away at their bottom line. Wacom One, I promise you, is a direct response to iPad, and its features are-- lacking-- for $300.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 30, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

squirrelzipper posted:

I’m a hobbyist and have a 10.5 iPad Pro and posted my thoughts on the Huion Pro 16 which I also own two or three pages back in this thread. It’s a great tablet, I don’t use it that much but have done about 30 hours drawing and doodling on it and am perfectly happy. The Pro has a laminated screen, there is no parallax issues. I’ve used Cintiqs when i was doing paid work in Illustrator a few years back, I don’t think the Huion is inferior to the 21” cintiq I used to use in anyway. Ymmv. It’s a very good tablet for the price. The one issue that had cropped up is occasionally the zoom strip randomly activated and my browser or excel or w/e zooms in and out until I unplug the Huion USB cord and plug it back in. Assume that’s the Malware acting up.

And this tipped the scales, I think. Thanks!

...wait. Malware?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Lumpy posted:

It is a running joke that every piece of electronics or software made in China has industrial espionage / spyware built it. A joke, and not something that would ever actually happen because big Chinese companies like Huawei and others are completely above-board and would never do anything nefarious. rapidly blinks S.O.S. pattern repeatedly

...I can live with that.

The kind of precautions I take, my genome's probably known at this point.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Huion still needs to be plugged into a computer right? It's not wireless or anything?

I think the iPad's biggest single advantage is that everything is in one package. And it's also multi-purpose. But also you can carry it everywhere. And it's as good or better than the competition. It doesn't have the diversity of software you'd get with a desktop though.

I'm not that interested in the portability, and having an iPad would be a little redundant for me right now anyway. My primary interest is in a drawing tablet, so the decision ultimately went to the Huion. Thanks for the input y'all, I'll let you know how I'm feeling about it when it gets here~