Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Does anyone have any tips for desk setup? I find working on my Intuos just not comfortable, and I'm not certain if it's poor physical setup or if I'm just a luddite and it's psychosomatic. It feels like I'm hunched over the thing, having to press really hard, and generally become gollum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks all, I'll have a fiddle with it and see if I can improve it any. I've adjusted my desk and chair height, that might help some.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I have similar problems, working with an intuous. I recently started working with my keyboard next to the tablet instead of behind it, and that seems to help a lot - it means my shoulders are more square-on, and that makes it much more enjoyable.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I'm right-handed. Tablet sits to the right of the keyboard, pen with right hand, keyboard with left.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've never heard of doing that, that's so clever!

...Now I want to get something like this and connect it up like that.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Trawl ebay for second-hand.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mine's an intuos 4, it seems sturdy enough and I've had it ~8 years, before that was a graphire. But yeah, whatever suits your budget best. :) It's worth looking up reviews of potential buys to see specs and avoid accidentally getting a dinosaur.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Because wealthier people buy the 24".

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Not at all, it's what I use mine for mostly.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I got a giant Intuos for that reason and I think it's too big - it's really awkward to work around on my desk, reach past for the keyboard etc.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello all-knowing thread. We want to give a wacom tablet to a child and are now looking for the right one.
Sorry these are vague questions, but perhaps they come down to simple answers. Thanks anyway.

How old is the kid? Drawing software tends to get complex and can be pretty frustrating, it might end up putting them off as much as encouraging them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What tablet does she have? IIRC, the s-pen is for the 'Note' series (I have one, it was cool till it had a magnet-related-accident!), so check compatibility. The good news is that the s-pen is awesome for drawing, and there's decent android drawing apps for only a few bucks.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

How's GIMP for photo editing? It's freeware not-photoshop, but I've not used it enough to say if it's any good.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fair enough. shame.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've heard the kamvas has issues with parralax and drawing straight lines, any sign of that? I'm thinking of upgrading to one, but I'm really hesitant to go non-wacom without being able to actually try one before I buy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear - guess I'll be breaking into my savings soon!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

jfc, that's... entirely predictable, but still bullshit.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

squirrelzipper posted:

Huh, maybe that's why they're discounting the 16" PRO by $200. Just got the Kamvas 16" Pro for $369 CAD with a free stand – helps that I had a $300 credit so the final tally for it was $74 CAD. I have a 10.5" iPad Pro that I've been using in sidecar and it's awesome but a little small now that I'm using it at a desk, still great for on the go. Will report rootkit 0wnage or just look for PRC shill posts on this account.

A goon review of it would be really appreciated, I'm maybe looking at getting one soon. I've heard it can have parralax issues, have you noticed anything like that?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

As are the PRC bagging team.

(I mean, it's not as if any other electronics by any brand is less likely to be riddled with bugs and spyware, but still)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thankyou for your service, comrade!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Right, soon I'm going to be getting a draw-on-screen tablet. My budget is about £300, maybe up to £400 if I really push it.

I'm thinking probably either a Kamvas 13 pro, or a Kamvas 16 [not-pro]. Are there any other decent-looking tablets I should be looking into at that price range? 13" is my minimum size (:hurr:), otherwise I'm open to anything.

e: Or I could bid on a second-hand Cintiq 13.

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 5, 2020

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I don't know that one, but there's a lot of very dodgy reviews out there, so I'd err on the side of caution.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Mine arrives tomorrow! :cheeky:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I got a screen protector for my cintiq. I ordered the SUPER TOUGH NEO GLASS GORILLA BULLETPROOF RA and it is SUPER GLOSSY and I hate it. I'm torn between getting another in matte and just doing without.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I went through alllll this a month back, ended up getting a second-hand cintiq, and I'm really glad I did - I absolutely love the thing, and the money didn't go to wacom (because I fully agree their practices are bullshit).

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ebay - about £170 for a second-hand 13HD

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Absurd prices for no reason than the brand name.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Huion is approved by pooh bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I picked up a Razer Nostramo off ebay, and it's really nice alongside the tablet - having a mousewheel on it is really handy for zooming. Be aware that cheap gaming pads literally just mirror a chunk of the keyboard, so I don't think they'd work as well - the razer thingy has keys you can set to be whatever you want.

I never really got comfortable with my intuos because I was hunched over it to draw but looking up to my screen. I upgraded to a cintiq recently and it's solved all that poo poo instantly. Things that didn't work included using a desk easel to angle it and changing seat/desk height. :geno:

lofi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 12, 2020