Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If all I've known is an Intuos4 (small size), would moving to a Yiynova 19 inch be that jarring of an experience? Just curious if anyone else has made a similar move. I love my Intuos, but the idea of a larger work area and the possibility of an articulating arm sounds great.

Also, how often do you guys change your nibs? I've never changed the ones on my two pens and they still look alright. I don't draw as much as I'd like to, but after 4 years I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing this right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I decided to get a iPad Pro rather than spend $500 to $700 on a Huion or bottom-end Wacom. As far as I can tell the Apple pencil works as good or better than my Wacom Intuos pen.

I'm trying out Astropad so I can run Artrage and Photoshop on the iPad. That's working really well too except for some wasted space due to the aspect ratio.

Size might be an issue, especially with unused space. But I was using the smallest Intuos before so a regular iPad seems spacious.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Teflon Don posted:

Not strictly Wacom related but I'm getting an iPad Pro 12.9" by the end month, I will post about it eventually.

I have a 9.7 with the pen. It's great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bitmap posted:

neon. neonnoodle. this is very important. is there any input lag when working at max res on TVP or photoshop using an astropad connected ipad pro. Nobody seems able to answer this for me, or answers vary, or I dont trust the people giving me answers.

I have experienced lag when connected via WiFi. I have never experienced lag connected to my laptop with a lightning cable. Whether it stutters on larger or more demanding file sizes, I'm not sure. I was doing some photo editing on 4000+/- pixel sized images in Photoshop and it worked fine. Your mileage may vary.

It can be a little awkward in that your laptop screen and your iPad screen don't match up ratio-wise. I usually navigate around my image and tools on the laptop and then use the iPad in AstroPad to do editing.

For drawing it's great. The iPad already has pretty good palm rejection, but when I run it through AstroPad I never get a false positive with my palms.

For reference I have a Wacom Intuos4 that I was using prior to this. The pencil is better than the Wacom pens. The quality of the drawing surface is comparable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bitmap posted:

Oh I don't mind a cable at all. I didn't even know you could output to it via a lightning cable! regarding the screen ratio, can't you just run each screen at a native res, the ipad as a secondary desktop? At the moment I'm on a 24hd and a 5k imac, so ratio dif don't bother me a bit.

Yeah, you'd want to use a cable. Not only is latency better but Astropad really runs down the iPad battery.

I don't know if this helps but here is a very short video of Photoshop on a 4k by 3k image at 300dpi with Astropad wired to my Macbook.

http://www.schmeeky.com/db.mov

I wish I had more time to use it. It's really smooth.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm using the iPad Pro on a non-retina display MBP, so maybe that's helping me on any latency. I've tried to stress Astropad, but haven't been able to make it stutter unless I'm connecting via WiFi. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lenovo just came out with a Yoga Book that offers an interesting take on a tablet/drawing surface. It's brand new so I don't know if it's even been released/reviewed yet.

If you hate Apple and don't want a Surface that might be your next best option.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Neon Noodle posted:

If you have a Mac, yeah. On Windows you can use an app called Duet but it's kind of bad.

I think Duet kind of shoehorned some of AstroPad's features in, but it's really just a touch enabled secondary monitor. It's very good as a secondary monitor though.

Astropad is awesome. I haven't used it recently because Procreate is robust enough for my purposes, but before that I'd use Art Rage or Photoshop with the iPad. The biggest issues are the differing aspect ratios. I have noticed that running your desktop apps through Astropad completely eliminates accidentally palm marks. The iPad Pro + Pencil were already pretty good at palm rejection, but it's perfect via Astropad. Also, even though it's supposed to be wireless you really should use a Lightning connection.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

bitmap posted:

avoid it. I got a pro and both astropad and duet and neither are professional options. one downsizes the video out to the ipad and the other has a terrible response time. I tried as many workarounds as I could and returned the pro the next week.

Obviously everyone's uses are different, but I didn't see those problems. I was using it on an i7 mid-2012 MBP at around 300 dpi and if it was plugged in (versus wireless) I had no latency at all. That said, by default they have this tracing line superimposed highlighting your brush strokes and makes it look like it's lagging (and may also create lag).

Duet is still one of my most used apps and works flawlessly, although the app warns that some applications like Photoshop may not play nicely with it. I use it for Lync, email, and terminal windows though.

I would say if he's going that route to be smart like you and make sure you can return everything if it doesn't work to your specifications.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

kinnas posted:

Is there a consensus on what's a good mobile workstation for doing concept art? I'm going to be traveling around for the next couple of weeks and the thought of not being able to get any work done is stressing me out.

I'm trying to find good reviews on youtube by artists on the iPad pro vs Surface Book 4 but none of these fucks can actually draw. They're putting down stick figure doodles and using that as their basis for reviewing the machines which hardly inspires trust in their opinions. What's more what's the deal with Book vs Pro? "Pro" sounds like it should indicate a beefier machine but it turns out it's actually just a tablet i.e for watching youtube? Is that right?

So uh.. help me out, I'm completely lost here.

I did have a go at doodling with the iPad in the store and it was allrightish. I found it a bit laggy but having gotten used to it it was good enough to jot down some ideas but didn't immediately convince me it could pull its weight in a professional context. Is the book/pro/anything else better?

Here's a time lapse video of a professional artist drawing with Procreate on an iPad Pro:

http://daverapoza.tumblr.com/post/154821981216/portrait-i-painted-in-procreate-on-the-ipad-pro

Procreate isn't a desktop-level app, but it's pretty drat close and it imports and exports in PSD format. For a mobile device that doesn't require a separate computer, there is nothing better than an iPad Pro + Pencil. The Surface may be comparable, but I have never liked their styluses or widescreen ratio for drawing.

I don't draw as much as I should on my iPad Pro, but I do take a lot of notes - both handwriting and using a keyboard in OneNote. Lag is pretty rare with the keyboard and never happens with the Pencil.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ArtRage has a pretty good line smoothing option. I'm sure there are other drawing programs that do the same.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

I know everyone raves about the iPad Pro as a drawing tool, but how is it for other stuff? I've been thinking about getting it + one of those keyboard cases instead of a laptop, any thoughts?

I tried using my iPad Pro as my 'work computer' at my last job and it did remarkably well. There were some problems, like trying to copy URL's from OneNote - the iPad kept wanting to open the URL's and not select them because it's all a touch interface. But other stuff, like using a terminal emulator to SSH, worked fine. I honestly preferred Office on my iPad to Office on my Mac.

The biggest issue is the browser, since Safari on iOS is still a mobile browser and won't always play nice with picky websites. When my kid goes off to college next year we will seriously consider an iPad Pro with smart keyboard. It depends mostly on whether the college has some ancient web application that borks non-legacy web browsers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Follow up to my iPad Pro question (thanks for the responses by the way), anyone used Astropad (or something similar), for using it as a tablet on a Mac? How well does it work?

Due to unexpected circumstances, I may be in the market to receive a stupidly expensive laptop, so I'm wondering about getting a MacBook Pro too and using them together like that. I vaguely recall some mixed responses to Astropad in this thread a couple of years back, but I might be misremembering/ hopefully the thing's improved in the interim.

Also, any thoughts on carrying a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro around everywhere at the same time? It looks like it's like 6lb, is this a stupid idea? Will I lose a lot by getting the smaller model of iPad? I should probably go to an Apple store to figure some of this stuff out myself, but if anyone has experience with this I'm really curious.

Duet works well for an extra screen. I don't know if they've moved to a subscription model like Astropad, but last year when I traveled around with a MBP, Duet made life a lot easier.

Astropad is more for running Mac apps though your iPad. It does that pretty well. Back before there were decent iOS drawing apps, I'd use Astropad instead. However it lagged on wireless and native apps got good enough that I could ditch the desktop altogether. I don't use any desktop drawing apps anymore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Anyone got the $30 case for the Apple Pencil? How durable is the pencil by itself?

The Pencil is amazingly durable.

I wish it was shorter and maybe with a 'not-insane' charging method, but durability has never been in question.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Procreate for over a year and just watched some videos on the various tricks and it's a whole lot more desktopy than I realized.

I really missed line smoothing in Art Rage and didn't even realize it was an option in Procreate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

Thanks everyone!

I got some adapters since I'll need them regardless. Figure I've spent enough at the moment on the machine, not going to bother dumping more for a new Wacom since the other's are fine.

It sucks a little, but it's not bad. Amazon Basics has USB-C to USB-A adapters that work great and are cheaper than the Apple versions. I have 4 of them and a year later I still can find 2 in a pinch.

You're going to realize about a week after you get your laptop that you never used those ports that often after-all - providing you're not using it docked. If you're using it docked and need monitors + keyboards + mice then it sucks a little more.

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah but everyone is going to drop those ports, so the whole ‘final nail, what bullshit’ hyperbole was more the issue.

Like omg where is my SCSI/Firewire/parallel port you bastards!

Firewire :(

I still have two Firewire external drives and a Firewire iPod. The drives still work, the iPod, not so much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The first gen Pencil is still pretty great. For reference I've had mine since the 1st gen 9.7 Pro (so...3 years?) and it's still working fine. I've replaced the nub once. I probably use it for a few hours a week. The battery drains constantly because there's no off button, but it charges remarkably quick.

The charging method is still as awful as it was when I first got it and I'm constantly fearful I'll break something while it's dangling from my iPad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I have an extra stylus for my Intous 4 you can have that I will never use again if it’s compatible with what you’ve got and you want to squeeze a few more years out of your old tablet.

It’s the slim model. Barely used. I bought it when I lost my regular pen and then I found my regular pen. :shrug:

Neither has been used since I got an iPad Pro and with Sidecar coming there’s no chance I’ll ever use them again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Miguel Prado posted:

Got the pencil gen 2 and Logitech slim folio, should be arriving tomorrow or Thursday.

You should also look at Procreate. I’ve only used Clip Studio on a PC, but I found it a bit cluttered. I prefer Procreate’s simpler format. It’s :10bux: and a desktop quality app with lots of community support.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Omi no Kami posted:

Easy enough... I assume I'm looking for an older Intuos, like one of the original Intuos 3s or another pre-fragile Wacom line?

If you’re looking for an Intuos 4 I have one of the ‘small’ models with pen that I’ll part with for the cost of shipping. I’m never going to use this thing again. It worked the last time I tried it and has been in my closet since. I may or may not have the original mini-USB cable. I’d have to look.

It’s pretty darn solid. The small ones didn’t have the customizable light up function buttons which always bummed me out, but maybe made them slightly more durable.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No problem. The small model size makes it less functional than a lot of other tablets. I enjoyed it, but never looked back after I got an iPad Pro and now with Sidecar I’ll never need it again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You could go the opposite direction and get an iPad Mini and Apple Pencil. 7 inch screen, but ultra portable. :)

Only the newest Air's have Pencil support so I don't know what kind of used market you'll find. Same with the Mini's. You may find a refurb one on Apple's site though. I think the base model iPad has had Pencil support for longer so you could probably find an used deal on one of those. Screen's not as nice though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You'll be able to get a base model iPad that can double as a drawing tablet for about $250 on Black Friday. The Apple Pencil is another $100. That might be more than you were planning on spending, but it's probably the cheapest stand alone art tablet ever and you get a tablet computer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
iPad + Pencil is definitely your jam. I'd hold off on the matte screen protector until you see how well the screen feels. They can create a rainbow effect as light gets refracted/reflected off of them. They also make your screen ever so slightly dimmer, which is probably not an issue now, but I remember it being an annoyance on the iPad 2, which had about 25% fewer nits.

Procreate is the best iPad drawing program out there right now and it's user base is so large there's tons of tutorials and guides on how to use it. For :10bux: it's great.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Huion still needs to be plugged into a computer right? It's not wireless or anything?

I think the iPad's biggest single advantage is that everything is in one package. And it's also multi-purpose. But also you can carry it everywhere. And it's as good or better than the competition. It doesn't have the diversity of software you'd get with a desktop though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I’m grateful Procreate hasn’t gone subscription yet, but I can’t imagine it’s that far off. It’s easily the best $10 I’ve ever spent on software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been drawing on an ipad pro for a little over a year now, and despite switching to fresh nibs on my apple pencil regularly I've managed to scratch up the screen pretty bad in some places.

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector that doesn't interfere with visibility? I tried ordering a few random ones online, one of the "paperfeel" ones had a deep blue tint to it which defeated the point of using it for art and another one had an almost frosted look to it that slightly reduced visibility, so clearly I'm not good at picking them out myself :sweatdrop:

Tints are going to be very subjective, but this what I use (and I don't notice a tint):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQMF3MP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it on my iPad for almost a year and it still looks good. It is adding a layer of semi-translucent material to your iPad so the screen is dimmed ever so slightly, but I haven't noticed the 'rainbow' effect I've seen on other matte screen protectors I've used. The texture does make using an Apple Pencil nicer.

Also not to nub shame you, but how badly you scratching that screen?