Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

:psyduck: how do? I have the LX arm also. Where are you tightening it?!

I can adjust my Ergotrons as well. Maybe check this out: http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/tp/G/LX/45-180/888-45-041.pdf ?

Edit: Section 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've always felt that they have always been targeted mainly towards media consumers and not media creators.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Friend posted:

Remember the conversation we had about making some kind of keypad to use with the Surface? Well Cooler Master, maker of mechanical keyboards, is soliciting feedback for making a working product based on their small six button switch tester:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/cm-switch-tester-v2-workable-media-game-controller-t7456.html

This is your chance to tell somebody there's a demand for this kind of thing.

I don't remember if I've posted this or not, but I just use an external, bluetooth 10-key (numpad) and Autohotkey for shortcuts. It works perfectly and you can even chain shortcuts to make actions (like my 1-keypress ctrl-z, for example).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just bought a Yiynova MSP19U+, ask me anything.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I've not used the mono, but the Yiy had better Amazon reviews!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

the_lion posted:

I had considered this a while back. Maybe tell us about your setup?
Mac / Windows? What you're using it for?
Have you used other big type monitors before?
I remember Frenden said something about slightly wonky lines but that was ages back.
Drivers are probably better now.

I considered it because I wanted to have a sit down "do 2D animation" type setup somewhere so I don't get distracted by other things like email or the web.
I have read a lot of people get backache from these big cintiq type setups. My boss mentions it all the time.

I'm on Windows. I mainly use it for sketching/inking. Very little painting work. I've used Cintiqs enough to get a feel for them and I've used Intuous tablets a ton. I have it mounted on an Ergotron mount arm so I can stick it out of the way.

You can tell right away where they cut their costs. The resolution isn't as good, but I actually don't mind. Colors seem ok to me, but it could use a calibration. I keep my Navigator in photoshop open on one of my other monitors so I can check while I paint. The build quality isn't as good. The analogy I'd draw is like an Apple laptop versus an HP laptop or something. It's functional, it's fine, but you can tell the difference. My biggest gripe is that the actual drawing surface isn't as tactile or nice as on a Cintiq. The Yiy feels mostly like regular glass whereas the Cintiqs seem to have that nice coating on them. You get used to it though.

It's DEFINITELY the budget option and it feels like it, but once you're 15 minutes into working, you don't notice anything different. Frankly, most of the annoyance comes with the unboxing and setup experience. Again I'll draw Apple laptop comparisons here with Cintiqs. Everything is nicely packaged and the set up is relatively easy. With the Yiy, it was clunky and I had to wrestle with the drivers. Their setup wouldn't install unless I dragged the unzipped files into a folder in my Program Files folder and THEN it would run ok. I had to uninstall and reinstall a few times before it all seemed to work. Once I got it working, though, I was able to work for hours without any issues. Yeah, they don't compare to Cintiq's quality, but they don't try to. It's like a fourth of the price, so I was super happy once the drivers chunked into place, and I get to spend the $1500 I saved on something else.

Then again, I'm not using it all day every day like some people do. That might make a difference. The Yiy is the new compact budget car you drive everyday. If you're gonna drive 80 miles a day, maybe you want some more comfort features so maybe you buy the Lexus, but maybe you don't care and the Civic is fine. :iiaca:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think a good stand or arm is vital to working with these things. Being able to shift posture/position at will is really nice. The best all around position, though, is at a pretty steep angle, like a painting easel. That's the best you're gonna get. Anything else and you're hunching over like a mad scientist.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whatever makes it so you keep drawing is what you need. After you've started and are continuing and you want to accelerate or refine your learning, then we can talk about best practices.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Apple is probably last on the list of people I would like to compete with Wacom.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Been leaving my computers on for the past 15 years and I have yet to run into any issues at all re overheating or things wearing out. I upgrade various parts every few years, but I'm gonna call those concerns hyperbolic based on my own simple logic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ergotron arms are pretty standard. It's the desk that is the strength question in that case.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If a cat sitting on it damages it, then it ain't worth 2000 loving dollars.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Make sure to use add/remove programs to uninstall the drivers and reboot after uninstalling and reboot again after reinstalling.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yiynova ones have their problems, and it depends on what features you are willing to live without (pen tilt, for example), but that said I have a 19" Yiynova and I enjoy it. You can absolutely see where they saved the money, it's all around a cheaper construction and materials. I mostly do inking on it where for painting or digital sculpting I actually prefer an Intuous Pro.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Welp just bought a 22HD to replace my Yiynova, heaven help me with Amazon Cintiq roulette.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you can go somewhere to try one or use a friend's go for it. It can make a difference and at the very least you'll have a preference. BUT. It's not gonna change your life either.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, over the years I've had Bamboos and medium and large Intuouses, and I've used 24" cintiqs and all in between and I've settled firmly in the Medium Intuous/~20" Cintiq size ranges. I can work with smaller, but I'd really prefer not to go any bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The only reason I didn't switch to Affinity's trilogy of apps this year is because I was able to swing educator pricing on CC. Before that I got it through my uncle who works for Adobe. I bought Affinity's apps this black Friday so I'll start getting acquainted. The subscription price is only going to go up and they are only ever going to get more and more bloated with features you will never use. They're also going to continue to arbitrarily change the UI, shortcut keys, and tool behaviors for no reason, but most companies do that. Then there was that whole awkward "if you use old versions of PS you could get sued maybe?" thing that was wtf.

If nothing else, I'm happy to support competition. If we have to live in a stupid late capitalist helldimension I'll at least support the small capitalist im the spirit of pretending that competition can be a thing anymore.