Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm one of those people that have tried a Cintiq extensively and found it to be too distracting/cumbersome for a tablet. Your hand gets in the way especially if you're using larger sized brushes. And there is still a slight delay in the input that it bothers me a tiny bit.

Intuos# Series in size Medium for me! I've had almost every Wacom tablet from 4x5 to 9x12 and I love the Medium/6x8 sizes the most. Right now I'm using a Intuos3 6x11 (Widescreen) while I save up for an Intuos4 Medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Check the European Wacom site and see if the drivers for the Bamboo work from that site.

About sculpting on the Bamboo, you shouldn't have a problem. I've seen amazing sculpts from people who use just a mouse.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also don't go and buy a big loving monitor. I thought I would always keep 1/2 windows side by side together, but I enjoy fullscreening applications way more with my 27" monitor. Get like two 22 or 24" and it'll be perfect. Three is even better so you can have one in the middle.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah painter's brush system is definitely superior to Photoshop's. The only reason I stick with Photoshop these days is because I've had more crashes with Painter than PS. And I have too many custom brushes to give up.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I've found that sometimes the European drivers from Wacom are more stable or updated more frequently than the ones on the US site. I've been using them for a while now and I have not had a problem in a year or two.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

For reference, here's where they are in Win7:
-Maximize windows explorer and look at the ?-button in the upper-right. It's not on the question mark, but on the left side of the question mark hugging it.
-Click your start menu, it's a few pixels to the left and down from the "A" in "All Programs".

Guess in your case you should be glad considering they're not in the middle of the screen :P

It really is "TOO MANY DOLLARS"

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
There are a few things I just don't like about the Intuos3 compared to my Intuos2. I use my 2 back at home, but we have 3's at school.

First, the surface of the Intuos3 eats up nibs like crazy. Also the buttons on the Intuos3 tablet which I use a lot are hard to differentiate while your fingers are on them (unless you like constantly looking down, which I dont). They're slightly tilted but they're all the same size. I don't think the OLED thing was a good idea, which sucks because it is pretty cool.

The dial on the Intuos3 is positioned in a pain in the rear end place. I use my left index finger for everything on my Intuos2, and the dial just isn't like the slider on the left of the Intuos2. I love being able to just tap the top and bottom of the slider to increase my brush size.

I would just buy a refurb Intuos2 from Wacom if they still sell them. Or buy another one slightly used. I probably will wait until the Intuos4 or Intuos5 to see what kind of improvements or changes they make.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
You should really just put the money towards a Cintiq if you're super serious about it. I've used cintiqs before and I'm not fan. I use my Intuos3 pretty much every day and have been for the past 4 years. The money would probably be better off spent on better specs for your PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Torabi posted:

I keep seeing tablets being used in videogame studios, (when they do video tours on youtube etc) for obvious reasons. But what I notice is that they also seem to use tablets for animation in 3ds max and whatnot as well.

I take it that this is the same tablet which is used for drawing? Kind of stupid question but I figured that it doesn't hurt to ask.

And if anyone is using their tablet with 3ds/Maya regularly then do tell. Curious as of what kind of benefits that it brings.

Yep. Basically you can replace your mouse with a Wacom tablet. You'll still have to use the keyboard heavily for programs like Max/Maya. Most people do it for wrist reasons and so they don't have to switch to mouse/tablet as often.