Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding using a tablet in general. I've been dabbling in art for a while and I've been considering returning back to art school after an extended hiatus. A unique opportunity has given me the chance of obtaining an Intuos3 9x12 that was gently used by the previous owner.

I've never used tablets all that much in comparison to real media, so my question is this: How much of a difference is there between the two and is it difficult to adjust from traditional media to a digital one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Thank you so much for the feedback, guys. I really appreciate it and you've all given me a lot to think about regarding the purchase.

Locus posted:

In general, do you prefer making art using extensive linework, crosshatching, and other precise linear stuff? Or do you prefer using huge sticks of charcoal or large brushes and blocking in forms over time until you get a result you like?

Because an Intuos is going to lend itself to the second one far more than the first. The main thing you'll have to get used to is the hand/eye disconnect, since you're going to be drawing on a totally different surface than the monitor.

I tend to do a lot of linework and detail work with my pencils more than anything else. I've only had a few experiences with charcoal back in art school for our posing classes. If a tablet is more suited for larger brushwork then I may hold off on it for the time being. I mainly want a tablet so that I can neatly draw and have a means of practicing coloring, values and light balance in a more controlled environment. That's the main appeal for me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

FLX posted:

The larger the tablet, the more precise you can draw. Also, some software smoothes your strokes or vectorizes them.

Do you happen to know any of these programs? I wound up buying a tablet and I've been looking forward to getting a cleaner product out of my drawings since I tend to have a sketchy look.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 10, 2011

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

That's really awesome. I was wondering when someone would make an affordable graphics tablet.