Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I have a general question. Got a kid who has been serious about art for a while, and she's turning 12 and I think it's the right time to invest in a reasonable beginner digital setup and get her some photoshop classes.

I'm leaning towards a beginner wacom tablet and a cheap PC setup with a photoshop subscription. I'm sure she'd rather have an iPad Pro, because you can do so many cool things that are not art with it. I'm worried about loss or theft of the device though.

What you guys recommend that the tablet + PC option for a young artist? How beefy a PC do I need for this? Should I go with a laptop instead? Should I forget the whole thing and we go with an iPad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Some really good suggestions in here. Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with the regular old ipad and a compatible pencil, or maybe one of the old ipad pro models w/ pencil if I can find one cheap for some reason.

When it comes to apps I personally use procreate and have used photoshop in the past (I'm a hobbiest ONLY). To my mind, Procreate is intuitive enough that you don't really need classes to grasp the technical concepts, you can just kind of toodle along and learn as you go. I was thinking I could get her some photoshop classes because I'd like to give her the opportunity to really dig into some of the more digitial art specific technical concepts, and I figured photoshop classes would be the easiest ones to schedule for her. Personally I like some of the other apps like clipstudio better than photoshop just for the cost, but mostly I was making a choice based on the options for getting instruction.

Might be the best option is to go with Ipad + procreate and let her get used to that, then I can look into a more techically geared art app and classes in a year or two when she's ready for the next step.