Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Flayer posted:

Bigger stadium, higher revenue, more valuable squad, better youth set-up, far superior historical achievements.

fans prone to typing lots and lots of words...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Can either of our resident Hull fans tell me why you're opening a lawsuit against your former chairman?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

brapbrapbrap posted:

It's like a rich man saying he wants to be a poor man but instead of giving all his money away and going to live in a council house, he sits in his mansion waiting for hyper-inflation to happen.

What an absolutely loving terrible straw man you've set up there

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

What an absolutely loving terrible straw man you've set up there

What I mean by this is it's absolutely nothing like your ridiculous analogy, it's like a fan of a club wanting that club to not be owned by cunts who are trying to milk it dry

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

brapbrapbrap posted:

And it also makes them hypocrites because if they REALLY did want to go back to grass roots etc they'd piss off and support FC United. But they don't because that would mean giving up £30 million players, Champions League etc. Hypocrites.

They don't want to go back to the grass roots they would just prefer it if their club wasn't run by cunts. I'm not sure how many times people have to repeat it before you'll get it into your head to stop making a ridiculous leap from Man United fans complaining about their ownership to calling them gloryhunting hypocritical posturing cunts who should piss off to support FC United if they're so bothered about it. Most of them don't do it because, shockingly enough, it's hard to just cast off all your allegiances to the team you've been supporting all your life to go follow another one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

We're never going to spend hundreds of millions again like we did in the past few summers but I can bet we'll step up our search for talented youngsters from all over Europe now in the hope they'll turn into the next Ronaldo or Messi.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Humuhumu posted:

Yes, encouraging clubs to be fiscally responsible insead of spunking money like a lottery winning chav indicates a a clear anti city bias.

I mean they're the only club to spend a ridiculous amount of money on players recently, right?

It's more that they're banging on about trying to secure the long-term stability of clubs while the regulations would do more damage to City when it's pretty clear that our long term stability is probably looking better than yours at this moment in time.

This is also complete moon logic:

quote:

"We want a healthier environment which will allow smaller clubs to invest in their infrastructure and be able to compete with the bigger clubs, knowing that they can only spend what they earn."

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

agreed. Right now arsenal can find a youngster and say "yes you might not get as much money coming to us, but we play in europe, will develop you into the best you can be and then repeatedly break you in training

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vando posted:

It's not even based on banking, it's based on spending it all and then hoping the prestige generated in doing so attracts investment.

and then being repeatedly bailed out by the royal family of Abu Dhabi

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

TyChan posted:

I wonder what they're going to do with all those man-made islands.

If I was stinking rich and owned one of them I wouldn't care if the rest of Dubai went to poo poo as long as it still had a functioning airport and port so I could get at my private island

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Badgerman posted:

:(

Sorry man, not much more to say, must be a really poo poo feeling

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lot of words there just gonna say Capello will probably choose Bridge over Warnock for better or for worse although Bridge really isn't as poo poo as people make out

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Adnar posted:

how does Chelsea make so much more than Liverpool on matchday? double ticket prices or do they have THAT much more corporates?

London tax

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mr Pepper posted:

Except if you're Tim Howard, Landon Donovan (only his most recent stint with Everton), Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, and Brad Friedel.

Keep it up and you'll have almost half a team!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

how the gently caress did they manage to spend £138million

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

This is what what sent around work, I don't know how much truth there is to it, but if it's genuine then it's hilarious.

I really hope they do owe Qatar Airways 20p.

The administrator's list of creditors is available online somewhere, it was linked here, so I've no doubt those are all true

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mickolution posted:

Harry Redknapp.

Yeah I was waiting for someone to say that

Bit disappointed the first reply wasn't a giant picture of his face tbh

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Oceanbound posted:

Goldman Sachs put out a 69-page World Cup and Economics 2010 booklet. In it bankers try to write about football.

Russ Joke

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

luvd posted:

i don't feel comfortable telling you how to feel :tipshat:

Kroenke's generally thought of as the better option than Usmanov, is that right?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

w00bi posted:

Wouldn't it rather be Fordstam will just use Chelsea to pay off the debt, rather than Chelsea obligated to pay their debt?

If Fordstam could use Chelsea to pay off the debt then Chelsea are obviously in a position where they're obligated to do so

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Grez posted:

It's not the amount of debt that counts it's the profit/losses made.

what is stopping them making some super limited edition diamond encrusted replica shirt and selling it to a proxy for millions

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

mate got offered a season ticket in the kop for £600. season tickets we have are 3 times that, each

got my man city season ticket for £326

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

ibroxmassive posted:

That's only 100,000 Catalans paying 50 Euro each a year for a deacde.

no it isnt

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

I think Man City are a good example too, they had a loving amazing youth system for a long time - giving them players like Richards, Ireland, Onouha, Hart and Barton at a time when their first team wasn't great - as well as a couple of dozen other prospects that didn't quite 'make it' but were good enough to be sold to Championship clubs for ~£1m a piece. That really seems to be on the back burner now they're minted, the monopoly money has forced out or relegated to the bench (for a time) most of the above players and the next lot won't get the same amount of pitch time to prove themselves.

I don't think the academy is on the back burner as such but it will be harder for the kids coming through to get senior experience. The best thing for them would probably be the first team winning a trophy sometime in the near future so we can start treating the Carling Cup the same way United/Arsenal/etc do but I don't think their prospects are hosed, last season off the top of my head I remember Ibrahim, Nimely, Boyata and Cunningham all making senior debuts, Vladimir Weiss is off at Rangers to get experience and there's others i'm forgetting as well as a bunch of promising younger kids behind them as well.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

when taters sounds sensible you know its bad

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Was Taters posted:

That's hurtful, man.

It was more surprise at how uninformed the majority of the thread was and so appreciation for the general level of chat we now have in this forum. It was actually really interesting to read with the benefit of hindsight, especially Finn saying he'd be utterly devastated if anything like that were to happen to Liverpool. You were saying some of the most sensible stuff in there though, sorry if that sounds patronising.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Well good to see Man United and Chelsea are against it as well, at least. Wouldn't be surprised to see City backing Liverpool here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/12/manchester-united-chelsea-liverpool-breakaway

quote:

It is understood that Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur will continue to back the existing arrangement that last season paid each club £17.9m, while Wigan chairman Dave Whelan reacted with outrage.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

BunnyX posted:

If there is one thing City are after it's more money so very surprising not seeing them supporting it.

We're trying to maintain a veneer of respectability while we're at it and supporting this would just give everyone more ammunition to accuse us of killing football

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

This article (Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail, sorry) sums up my feelings on FFP nicely

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Basically gently caress the Champions League

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

I don't remember Manchester United ever being owned by by a sugar daddy who bought them all the best players.

Must have been before my time.

You're a Manchester United fan its ok you can just say you think we're cunts without trying to justify it by pretending you're any better than us

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

^^^^
Just because American plastics will post obliviously for free it doesn't make it slavery.

Nike sweatshops vs importing workers from the third world then confiscating their passports so they are unable to go home. Hmmm, if only you could work out which was worse.

I don't think this is what fans of big 4 clubs people who object to City's spending are thinking of when they have a little cry about us

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

w00bi posted:

Better than you think.

http://andersred.blogspot.com/2012/02/income-up-costs-down-chelsea-getting-in.html

The overhaul in the wage bill which started with the parting of Carvalho/Ballack/JCole is starting to pay off.

I don't know if Chelsea can generate significant transfer fees this Summer (Kalou, Malouda, Lampard?) to offset any purchases...but whatever purchases are made the focus will be on wage control as we just saw with the Cahill transfer saga.

This is a huge amount of words to say Chelsea are poo poo and not breaking even any time soon

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Eric Cantona posted:

There's nothing wrong with the transfer window.

Pissflops posted:

Everybody goes everywhere and nobody goes anywhere in this farcical, corrupt merry-go-round designed to fleece you and me and line the pockets of the rich and greedy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Hegav posted:

I guess it's a "hurr durr Man City is only owned by Mansour for Abu Dhabi publicity reasons" post.

yup

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Masonity posted:

I don't usually have much Man U sympathy but I'm not sure it's fair to say they were built on infusions of cash. If anything the board have taken money out of the club. They are built on huge sums of cash made by being one of the biggest teams in the world with a very well thought out merchandising and legitimate sponsorship deals.

They're built on Sky Money and Asian shirt sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Lot 49 posted:

once their owners start arranging City style sponsorship deals.

What makes a sponsorship deal 'City style' as opposed to, say, advertising paint, turkish planes or a chinese bank?

• Locked thread