Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
*laughs at portsmouth*

But seriously Liverpool isn't looking so good lately so I have no room to laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I would rather Liverpool win a game 1 - 0 than lose tie it 5 - 5 if the article is supposed to be implying otherwise

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bovine Delight posted:

Please try to make sense. "lose tie it 5-5" what the christ are you on about?

Ah whoops, mistyped. Was originally going to put 'lose 5 - 4' but realized anyone would rather their team win..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Circle one:

Do you have lots of money?

• Yes
  • No

Are you willing to spend that money?

• Yes
  • No

The sad part is that you can get the club by circling yes to just one of these

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Homura posted:

I have a feeling United would come out on top, simply because they have a ton of worldwide exposure. That being said, I can't help but root for the England team since supporting the USA team generally ends in tears (goddamn it I do it anyways)

Ugh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

USMNT is poo poo.

No more so than England

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Jozy is only a Champions League level footballer at best

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

If Nurse Jackie could hack it in [mid-week day/inclement weather conditions/against notoriously physical team] then she could get paid the same in my opinion.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

edit: Messi "owes Barca" how? For discovering/developing him? That is a terribly anti-labor sentiment which sounds reminiscent of reserve-clause era baseball to me. "oh this poor player should be grateful for the opportunity the generous club has given him to make money playing a game. To demand more compensation is greedy." Is that the idea you're talking about?

Football clubs pay more than most other pro sports teams I think

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/barcelona-highest-paying-sports-team-world-213635672.html

And get out of here with that "anti-labor" crap Messi makes millions of euros a year to run around a field kicking a ball into a net I'm sure he'll be fine

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This is hardly different from 16 year old Dominican baseball players growing up in poverty and being given $5 Million USD bonuses to sign with an MLB team, who then retains the rights to that player for many years. Hell, last year my favorite baseball team paid a Cuban refugee (he literally had to escape from Cuba, having tried and failed to do so several times before) a $42 Million/7 year deal.

World class athletes are plucked from poverty and showered with riches in other sports too. That doesn't prevent them from reaching free agency.

I guess that's the difference between clubs and franchises?

More seriously the reason has been given, a club will just try to sell them if it's clear they want to run their contract out. Some players to become free agents, but it's generally in their best interest to not be frozen out for a year.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

There aren't enough football clubs or there are too many?

By my understanding, there are basically like a dozen "top" clubs in the world. Those are the ones that earn the guaranteed seeds or whatever to the Champions league from the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, and Serie A. (which is what, 4/2/3/2 teams respectively, right?)

The best players want to be on one of those teams, and no other teams are ever really in serious contention of being the best in the world at any given time, right?

That's not very right. It's 4/4/4/3.

And yeah the best players want to typically be on one of like four teams at any given time but I guess some of them don't make the cut? Like there are a lot of good players and they all make pretty amazing money tbh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Ok, so when lets say Bayern buys a player from Barca, they are negotiating on the price with Barca alone, correct? Then they have purchased exclusive rights to negotiate a contract with that player for how long?

Or they are buying the player from the team AND negotiating with the player on his contract at the same time?

Again, it feels like the player just has terrible leverage always, because he is never able to negotiate with multiple teams at once.

Bayern Munich would submit a bid with Barcelona for X amount. Once that is accepted, they can negotiate with the player. This is the legal route, though sometimes it gets circumvented in weird and typically illegal ways.

I don't see what the player having "terrible leverage" means. They signed a contract. The club has every right to force them to see it out.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

edit: It sounds like the team finds a buyer, and says to the player, "ok, go have fun negotiating your new contract with those guys. no one else is allowed to negotiate with you."

Well typically any other club can negotiate should they submit an equal value or higher bid to the selling club (there are rare exceptions). Again, the player signed a contract, the club doesn't have to sell them at all if they don't want to.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Yes, MLS players are underpaid because their union is weak. Likewise, NFL players are terribly underpaid because they have a weak union. MLB players on the other hand have one of the strongest unions in America, and their compensation reflects it.
This is the problem. Players are not a commodity, they are skilled laborers who deserve the opportunity to negotiate just compensation for their efforts. Their teams are profiting off their labor, and the player deserves his fair share.

They're making tons of loving money, and they shouldn't have signed a contract if they didn't want to see it out, maybe?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Player signs a contract with Club A for 5 years. 4 years into it, Club B offers Club A some amount of money for the player. Club B says hells yeah, he's all yours. Player is now forced to negotiate a new contract with Club B. What if he refuses?

Then he sees out his original contract.

bawfuls posted:

This is what I don't understand. He IS willing to see out his 5 year contract. Refusal to sign a new deal does not mean he's violating the first one.

The club can't break the contract just because they feel like it either.... I don't know where you got that idea.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

And at that point, he's allowed to negotiate with anyone?

....yes? This isn't complicated.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

I mean, what it comes down to is this.

I don't understand how we can possibly assume the best players are making what they are worth, when they rarely or never reach free agency.

If they are only ever negotiating a salary with one party, how is it possible they are earning all they could be?
They're free to run out their contract if they so please dude

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

So why don't more players do this?

Surely somewhere along the line a top-10 player would decide, "I want to see what the best 10 teams in the world would be willing to pay me if they all had a shot."

Some do, but typically any exceptional player at a smaller club will get bought before they are done with their contract. There's also the negative of, if you're clearly not willing to sign a new contract, getting benched for a significant amount of time (see Fernando Llorente)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shroud posted:

They can negotiate with any number of parties, so long as their bids have been accepted by the player's current team.

Dude, you're being way too much of an economist here.

Correct, or as was pointed out earlier, they can negotiate with whoever if they only have 6 months left on their current deal which I had actually forgotten about lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Which means their current employer is the gatekeeper, and their current employer obviously has conflicting interests.

The player signed a contract...........

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

I understand that, I was mostly responding to the assertion that players can negotiate with "anyone they want" as long as that team has a bid accepted by the current team.

It has since been explained that players do have a true free-agency period in the 6th months approaching the end of their contract.

The structure of cash trades instead of player trades makes sense enough. It is just baffling to me that somehow players rarely take advantage of free agency.

They don't have to because typically anyone exceptional at a smaller club (see: Arsenal) will be bought out before the last six months of their contract (see: half of Manchester City, Robin Van Persie)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

Isn't a player fully capable of rejecting a proposed sale? My understanding is that players can choose to reject any sale and leave on a Bosman, same thing as a baseball player becoming a free agent in the US.

Yes they are

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

But when you get bought out, you are still only negotiating your new salary with one (maybe two?) teams. That can't possibly be maximizing your value.

Okay here

John Smith signs a contract with Ajax making 1m a year, for 5 years.

JS goes 2 years playing at a high level, he's loving life, having a great time. Manchester United submit a bid of 10m for him, Ajax rejects this, because they value him at 12m. Morally and legally, they are fine doing this - remember, good old JS signed for 5 years, he has three left, which the club has no qualms about making him see out.

Chelsea on the other hand comes in and submits 12m, and Ajax accept. JS can negotiate a new contract with them - he can reject it too, if he likes, for whatever reason he so pleases.

There are no moral or legal issues anywhere in this process. If JS really wants to go to Manchester United, but they wont put in 12m, then he can play in the Netherlands for three years and sign with them after that. He made a legal commitment to the club, remember?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This is also a VERY important detail that was left out in the initial explanations...

Did you think that there was a law that allowed the forceful employment of someone in another country because of a club's decision in an unrelated country? I didn't think that'd have to be explained really.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

There are those weird "contract for life" things that Casillas and Raul (I think) had, where if they make 20+ appearances they're automatically extended.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This is a very team-friendly arrangement though, because if the player is injured or just plain bad and gets benched, then the contract expires. It offers much less security for the player than a simply long-term deal.

Phone up Raul and tell him then idk

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

I guess I"m just a moron then, whatever. We went whole pages before anyone bothered to mention important details like "players have the right to veto contract buyouts" so you'll have to excuse me if I don't have perfect information.

We didn't think something like that had to spelled out to be honest.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Thanks for that link, I will definitely check it out. I figured clubs had to publish some accounting annually, as private companies in the US are also legally obliged to do. It's just that here, it is pretty much assumed that what is published is the most favorable accounting possible for the company and in reality things aren't always as they seem. European accounting disclosures are perhaps more stringent/reliable.
I'm sorry this is such a dumb premise. Maybe capitalism is just kinder and gentler in Europe (because *reasons*) and I've been brow-beaten into assuming it's always ruthless because of my American upbringing.

or maybe not?

You're honestly incoherent. The simplest poo poo seems wildly difficult for you and I can't fathom why. There's nothing inherently complicated about the way transfers/wages work in European leagues. It has nothing to do with "labor power" or whatever inane crap you want to talk about, they almost all make a loving ton of money and nobody is getting screwed except Byolante who earlier mentioned he has to watch Charlie Adam play

e Also please stop talking about loving baseball ahahglkdghghhh

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I'd quite like to be an agent and have some Brazilian kid run around a bit while chatting it up with managers all while making a few million euros or whatever.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

TelekineticBear! posted:

I wish I was a football agent, financially exploiting people denied a proper education sounds like a right laugh

Dude same....pm me

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

It's ridiculous how common that poo poo seems to be. Ibrahimovic said the same stuff in his book, that when he moved either to Juventus or Ajax I forget which he was underweight cuz he couldn't cook and had no idea what to do.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

euroboy posted:

Zlatan stayed up all night playing video games because Ajax got him an apartment and he had no clue what to do. Until he had this big bonding experience with Maxwell who taught him different stuff around the house. Fascinating.

Probably why he follows him to every club

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I still don't really get FFP, to me it seems like all it does is solidify the already rich?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Rangers's situation confuses me so much.. I may be wrong from a legal/or feasibility way but I can't see why some PL club doesn't just sponsor them out of the poo poo they're in. The amount of money is so small it wouldn't even register to them (1.5m???) and they could get what amounts to basically a feeder club or some poo poo. Maybe it breaks some rules or something? But players could get work permits, play in a (second or third tier) top league, get used to Britain, etc. All for like three months of a single average players wages lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

jre posted:

It breaks the SFA rules on owning two clubs, which is why Mike Ashley can't own more than 9.9%.

The blackhole is actually much higher and they are losing about £14 mil each season playing postmen in the lower leagues because the people running it are hoovering money out like no-one's business. £300,000 salary with 100% bonus for winning the 2nd division for example.

They are currently trying to raise about £3.4 mil with yet another share issue which might get them to the end of this season , but if it fails to be subscribed 100% they are probably in admin again.

Ah okay that makes a lot of sense, granted I only ever hear anything about Rangers when I look in this thread so I was wondering wtf

How have Celtic not run into these problems?? Do they have higher revenues or pay much less or something

e Meaning before Rangers collapsed not now obv

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Byolante posted:

Celtic actually paid their taxes so they didn't get booted out of the top flight and lost their shot at CL money.

Sounds like some fail

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Insanely Sikh posted:

What University do you support?

For Math he supports MIT, but for Liberal Arts hell, always been a Harvard guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008