Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Konstantin posted:

Tell me about it, in Omaha, NE, a city of half a million people, they are demolishing a stadium that holds about 25,000 people and are replacing it with two separate stadiums, one with a capacity of 8,600 and one with a capacity of 24,000. The minor league team that played in the old stadium didn't like it being less than half full all the time, so they decided to build a smaller stadium that they could sell out. The bigger stadium was built mainly for one event that only lasts two weeks.

Really? That's more time than say, memorial stadium in lincoln gets used, which is a paltry 8 calender days out of the year.

College football stadiums are the worst culprits, they are used for pretty much 8-9 days out of the year, I don't see the problem with these stadiums.

And, I can't let you get away so easily Konstantin, I live in Dundee, Omaha is quite able to hold their own and you forgot about the UFL team that is coming to this fair city.

..quite frankly, Omaha reminds me a lot of Newcastle...except the weather is absolute poo poo, but other than that, demographic wise, etc, it's pretty much a dead ringer for home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I think in terms of money, American sports stars make more than their European or Australasian counterparts.

In baseball in particular you have people who make about $20,000,000 a season, which is quite fantastic. Which is, in terms of European sport, about 385,000 USD a week or about 255,000£ a week, an INSANE amount of money for football.

I don't think we'll ever reach the point where a person in football will make that much money, there simply can't be beacuse I don't think the economics of football allow it with the lack of revenue sharing and the like not boosting the coffers of clubs.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

10 years eh? The last 6 years must really been hard for him.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

JingleBells posted:

They're partly owned by the Indian steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal (worth £19bn) and F1 head honcho Bernie Ecclestone (worth £1.5bn). Although they've not been spending their cash quite like City they've gone and bought some of the best players in the Championship

IIRC isn't City basically owned by Abu Dhabi's royal family, each member of whom worth billions which combined bring the actual money at their disposal way higher than it actually is?

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Holy loving poo poo. Burn the Prem down. Burn it.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Careful now, too many Americans in the league and they'll start trying to gently caress about how the league is run.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Akileese posted:

She's in the Walton family who's father created Walmart. That family is worth like 100 billion dollars so if Stan himself may not have the money to buy Arsenal, she sure as hell does.

Holy gently caress Walmart? No. Just run away Arsenal they'll loving nickle and dime you to death.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
this is why I think terraces need to come back. There has to be still a working-class element to the game and honestly I come from a working-class background, though I may be way better off now it absolutely pisses me off to pay a metric poo poo ton of money just to see a game.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
It might work out for Leeds with Ken Bates but you are playing with fire having a man like him in charge of a club, especially one that can quite easily be a consistent top half EPL side with just some right management.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

BunnyX posted:

and about 6 new players minimum

I reckon they'll just want to survive the first few years and then slowly build up the Leeds *snort* brand.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Adnar posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051618/What-agent-Willie-McKay-doing-Doncaster-Rovers.html

It's all a bit soulless but I guess at least it's upfront..

Who the gently caress thinks its a great idea to build a team on loans? Surely they will just flounder in the bottom half of the table while their revolving door of mercenary cunts struggle to play with any sense of unity.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
I hate assholes who can't call a spade a spade and insist on dickheadish titles like "talent manager" or whatever daft title Kia has given himself.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Sucks for Darlo but gently caress the smug assholes, you've got nothing to be proud of.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
Have fun being an northern even more shittier version of Wales, Scotailures

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
We have lost only £3.9m this last year and we are on track to breaking even and making a profit for the first time in ages. Mike Ashley may finally be winning me over.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
If they decided to expand to 16 teams and somehow got a better TV deal it'd go a long way to stabilising Scottish football imo

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
It's a shame really because I used to love watching the SPL as a child it's just so delightfully poo poo and tried to play itself up as an awesome league which worked on child me so what can you do, I really wish someone actually fixed scottish football.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Sadsack posted:

You may now resume laughing at Portsmouth...

Considering the fact we have eight senior players (not one of them a keeper), no way of signing any reinforcements and are now starting on -10, our lovely position has somehow just got worse.

Fan consensus is that this is 'game over' for the club. No one will buy a club that's going to be in League 2 next season, at least £16 million in debt and hamstrung for the next five seasons.

Dear lord, that could have been us.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Healbot posted:

http://www.elconfidencial.com/depor...escenso-101849/

Malagas sugardaddy lost interest in his toy and the club now needs to find €18m until the end of July or face forced relegation (heaving Atletico Madrid into a CL-spot and promoting Villarreal).

(€7m owed in taxes, €3.5m to Villarreal for Cazorla)

Hilarious

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

euroboy posted:

Chelsea have announced that Gazprom will be their new "Global energy partner". I guess Abramovic is just making sure FFP won't be an issue with that deal.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2851323,00.html

Well, I guess that was to be expected. Can't wait for all the owner's companies be major sponsors at all the clubs.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Bobby Digital posted:

Next up: Arsenal and Wal-Mart.

It'd be Asda not Wal-Mart (same type of store, concept, different name same owner)

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

peanut- posted:

They can't really. The guy that signed it did so without proper approval iirc, and was shown the door quickly as a result.

Where the hell did you see this? If that was the case wouldn't GM be throwing a huge hissy fit because of the sum of money involved, more than a half a billion US dollars? Sounds like to me you are talking our of your arse.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision
drat, I stand corrected, consider your arse non-talking from now on.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

jre posted:

Things are looking bleak at Rangers as all the players have all been asked to take a 15% pay cut. They said "naw"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25769725

God is real and he's a Catholic.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Gigi Galli posted:

Lads, this man is very close to purchasing Leeds United

That's Massimo Cellino, the current owner of Cagliari Calcio, who recently spent time in jail after being accused of embezzlement and other financial crimes with regards to Cagliari's stadium situation. He loves Cagliari so much, though, that he stayed in jail after he was scheduled to be released because Cagliari won some games while he was there.

He's a bit of a loon but he's very wealthy and he's very invested in Cagliari at least. I hope he makes a scene in England and is as fun there as he is in Italy.

poo poo, Leeds might actually get an owner that spends money.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Pissflaps posted:

Leeds have been bought by about three billionaires in the last five seasons and theyre still loving poo poo.

Cursed club in a cursed city.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Charlotte Hornets posted:

How come is HSV such a rich club?

Because Hamburger sold their souls to the football devil for success in the 80s and are still riding that wave.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Gigi Galli posted:

I was just about to point this out, haha. Juventus sells out their (smaller) stadium pretty regularly now but the caverns of the San Siro and the Roman Olimpico are still really bad.

Seriously, what the hell is with Italy and not going to games? Do ultras really run off everyone? I heard a story that the san siro women's toilets are basically a de facto second men's toilet as so few women go to the games.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Scott Bakula posted:

Newcastle now have Papa Johns as an Official Pizza Partner

Ugh. The worst possible pizza.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

pik_d posted:

Maybe it's different over there but Papa Johns is better than Pizza Hut and Dominoes by far. Not to say it's great, just... it's far from the worst possible.

Pizza Hut is some good poo poo imo, Papa Johns is poo poo. Dominoes is take it or leave it though I pity the fool who thinks that Little Caesar's is good pizza.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

euroboy posted:

£51.8m loss? That's nothing.

lol

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 11m
QPR spend more money on wages than Borussia Dortmund. Think about that for a moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ier-League.html

loving hell QPR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Fists Up posted:

Nate Silver did a thing on the distribution of fans across different sporting leagues.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-distribution-of-fandom-in-pro-leagues/

I find some of it flawed when thinking about the premier league but it does make a good point that there is no middle class in football.

That was more pointless stat wankery and the busting out of the gini coefficient just took the piss. loving hell, that article.

• Locked thread