Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Masonity posted:

Or they could just make sure that it's filled to the rafters with home fans every 2 weeks...

By calling it the Job Center Plus Stadium.

Maybe it'd be good if we sold a bunch of plastic flags and poo poo too, eh? We need to fill up the entire stadium with plastic fans, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Mickolution posted:

In terms of running the clubs, maybe, but I fail to see what right the NFL has to tell you how to run your other businesses.

Prob best to stop this discussion now though, the natives will get angsty again.

NFL teams actually make money, while most NBA teams lose money. Frankly, I'd bend over backwards to own an NFL team and follow their preposterous rules just for a piece of the pie.

NFL profits are absolutely staggering, which makes the lockout for this coming season even more sickening. The upcoming NBA lockout is incidentally for the opposite reason--NBA players make so much money that most franchises (and their owners) lose money, much like their NHL counterparts (the 2005 NHL lockout was an attempt to correct this through a salary cap--it has not worked for the most part).

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Raightning posted:

I came across something that might be interesting to a few people here (with the whole Kroenke business) a while back, the SA thread from when Glazer took over at Man U (requirse archives). Interesting to see parallels between what was said then and what's being said about Kroenke tbh.

What did people think about H&G? I seem to remember a lot of general fan optimism, but what did SA think?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

s0meb0dy0 posted:

Incorrect on the NBA. The teams are losing money because they are leveraged to hell and back (like ManU) and because of creative accounting. They do their best to show loses so they pay no taxes, and so they can justify paying players less.

http://sbrother.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/david-stern-its-hard-to-believe-nba-owners-really-need-the-players-help/

If superstars from small teams continue to join together in big markets, where will this leave the teams in the small markets?

(Seriously though, we're gonna make the football fans mad)

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/15/birmingham-city-europe-fa-premier-league

Looks like Birmingham City are going to have problems getting the UEFA license? Liverpool in the Europa League again? lol

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

loving hell, income per capita in norway is about 80,000 dollars? can euroboy confirm this

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

c0burn posted:

Sounds good to me, least we'll have somehting unique and the money's excellent. Sick of seeing Adidas recolouring shirts and passing them off as unique.

I do love the three stripes though :\ (just wish they were more subtle)

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

ibroxmassive posted:

I'd be curious to see England in a cup year versus United

I have a feeling United would come out on top, simply because they have a ton of worldwide exposure. That being said, I can't help but root for the England team since supporting the USA team generally ends in tears (goddamn it I do it anyways)

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Jose posted:

and supporting the England team doesn't?

yeah but the plastics in china and stuff probably buy the chinese shirt or something

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Masonity posted:

Protip: that was 15 years ago. Since then we've added lots more jeers, tears and oh so nears.

No-one eligible for the England team were alive last time it didn't end in tears!

yeah but at least england have some kind of hope/expectations. supporting the usmnt is like supporting a cripple in a boxing match

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Jollzwhin posted:

He's clearly been in charge the entire time.

yep, the circumstances of his "new" ownership are really shady

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Midnight- posted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13313804.stm

Plymouths' creditors have accept the deal. 0.77p for every pound. Crazy.

this owns (in the sense that seeing a club dissolve would be so sad)

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

I miss having Carlsberg on Liverpool shirts :\ Love the cash that the Standard Chartered deal brought in, but their logo is a bit poo poo

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

God, that 10m sponsorship for the training kit is just offensive to me. :(

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Ninpo posted:

After the last Chelsea vs Stoke match, yes absolutely.

The only team I would choose to watch Stoke would be Barcelona for the irony. I feel like a hostage being forced to watch when Liverpool play them.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Modus Trollens posted:

If the licenses were sold separately then there would be increased competition for viewers which is why I think the FA doesn't sell it that way. For example FoxSoccer2go (they're shittly named streaming service) wouldn't show games being shown live on FSC or ESPN because it'd take away viewers.

FoxSoccer2Go was actually a really nice service crippled by the need to prop up FSC :\ 20 bucks/month to watch a ton of matches, but many of the ones you'd want to watch weren't available till 12:01 AM the next day because of the FSC nonsense. That being said, I've been a subscriber so I can watch Liverpool's Europa League games at work. :)

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

calcio posted:

Fake because it's not made out to Kia.

:golfclap:

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Vegetable posted:

I guess Emirates Stadium isn't the worst name in the world.

"...at the Emirates..."

I actually really like it. Sounds exotic.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Psybro posted:

Morecambe let people come in for free. They doubled their average attendance.

Isn't that a little sad? They literally reduced the cost to 0 and still only managed to attract some ~2000 more people. :(

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Healbot posted:

Villarreal didn't so much overextend as get relegated while being unable to sell their best player and cover the bases. At least I don't remember them running rampant on the transfer market.

Didn't literally every one of their good players get injured too?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Kansai Paints, Manchester United's official Chinese paint supplier for all of the painting it does in China.

Are they the official paint of Manchester United?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

JunkDeluxe posted:

In the Brøndby news. :words:

Read that Agger turned down a payment that was owed to him from Brøndby since the club is in such dire straits. Class.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Ninpo posted:

Then I stand corrected, apologise and ahahahah what?

JunkDeluxe posted:

1-2 years ago Peter Schmeichel and some other investors had a bag of money and offered to buy the majority of the club, but the board turned the offer down because they were not willing to take a hit to their deciding factor in the club.

Yeah these owners seem pretty determined to go down with the ship.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

JunkDeluxe posted:

Easy for Agger to turn down the money when he is on £80K a week.
The other player which are owed money only earn a fraction of that.
People seem to forget that players that earn more than £10K a week is a small percentile of all the pro players.Hell.. Even £5K.
Denmark is smalltime regarding wages, and on top of that they pay 50-60% in taxes.
Most of these players have 10-12 years to earn a lifetime of wages, so they should take whatever they can get.

Don't understand this kind of reasoning. Yes, Agger is wealthier than many players (especially those in Denmark), but doing something like this isn't just about the money -- it sets an example for others thinking about doing the same thing.

I don't blame anyone for taking those payments (neither did Agger), but a gesture like that, symbolic as it may be, isn't meaningless just because he's rich.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Scudamore is pretty cunty for throwing his weight around, but the 2nd proposal is ridiculous. Salary caps in football? And only for the relegated teams? The first proposal is completely reasonable though.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

WangNV posted:

I'm actually about 130 pages into The Numbers Game, and it's not that bad. Am I the only one who liked Soccernomics?

I thought Soccernomics was loving wank. It did keep me reading the whole thing though.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Guitar_Hero posted:

Why are Villa's debts so high? Is that just money owed to Lerner from investments in players and wages?

the MON legacy, i'd imagine.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2013/08/arsenal-money-dont-matter-2-night.html

Arsenal have more money sitting around than the rest of the Premier League combined and aren't spending a dime.

Graph shows that they have 27m less than the rest of the league put together (154 vs. 181).

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

http://debt.co.uk/football/wages/

This little site lets you put in your salary and tells you how long it'd take to earn a footballers weekly wage, it's quite depressing.

The equivalent of my annual salary in football terms makes me the same as David De Gea.

To earn David De Gea's weekly salary, it would take you 19.48 months.

gently caress life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

euroboy posted:

Arsenals finances was just presented by the chairman, and they've still got an incredible amount of money in bank. Imagine Wenger sleeping on a pile of gold like Smaug, breathing fire and making cruel insults to those who threatens to take anything away from him.

From someone who was there... https://twitter.com/DarrenArsenal1

...and still they increase the ticket pricing with 3%.

Do they issue dividends like Swansea did last year (iirc)?

• Locked thread