Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Anything people want me to add to the OP i will.

the cost of pies at each top flight ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dkj posted:

Is it really just Veron type deals that are doing this and large wages, or is there something I'm missing?

The club owes the money that the club's current owners had to borrow to buy the club. Or something.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

pimpslap posted:

Wigan, and West Ham in the PL are all on the same path

What

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TyChan posted:

]Unless you can get the money from actual fans, which is rare, the only way you get the necessary funds nowadays is by turning clubs from these "ventures of love" to something exploitable and attractive to businessmen who have different priorities and will run clubs much, much differently than fans would.

How do Chelsea, Man City, Sunderland and Wigan, for instance, match this pattern?

The way most clubs are getting the funds necessary to compete or even survive in the premier league isn't by turning football clubs into lean money making enterprises, it's by having a loving rich owner or borrowing.

Which has been the case for years. Only the money required - and the risk to those borrowing - is much greater. With what the result of what we see at Portsmouth today. Wigan or Hull tomorrow. Maybe even a big club.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm Karl Albrecht is 89. Think I might marry him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Middlesbrough, Wigan or Bolton getting relegated is not the 'end of football'. A premier league club going bust, or the others in that division and the ones below that follow it is not the end of football either.

What it hopefully signals is a correction. A move away from the debt-fueled madness we have now to something more sustainable and healthy.

You can hide your head in the sand all you like, but something has got to change.

I'm sure you're quite happy with the situation at the moment. While the club you've attached yourself to is able to meet its massive debt payments and keep at the top of the game why wouldn't you be. Maybe if or when they can't you might change your mind. Or maybe you'll just find another club. Who knows.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And some people are buying clubs and plunging them millions into debt chasing the premier league 'dream', leaving them broken in the process.

It's got to change because it's unsustainable. There's only so many sugar daddies to go round, especially when they have to be sweeter every year to keep up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like biscuits.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dudley posted:

Chelsea have 0 debt.

This isn't something to be proud of.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
tbf harry redknapp is a massive, massive oval office

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ibroxmassive posted:

why don't Man United fans start supporting Bolton?

Because Bolton don't win enough trophies.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I haven't seen anything which demonstrates a grass roots movement based on the economic and sporting factors involved that is much beyond that level of complexity.

It would be unreasonable to expect one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Fernando Torres

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
David Silva

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

s0meb0dy0 posted:

What EPL players would make the top 4 but aren't already playing for them?

Fernando Torres

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Akileese posted:

Hull possibly hosed too?

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6114176,00.html

£35 million is a lot of money.

What do you mean possibly? They're hosed hosed hosed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

Reminder you're dumb enough to take that seroiusly.

I can believe it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

But you see its Newcastle so obviously they're that stupid.

Agreed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Or alternatively Fayed has given up on getting his British passport and has decided to take himself and his interest elsewhere.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What qualifies Mohamed Al-Fayed as 'one of the greatest Brits in recent history'?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EC10 posted:

the part where he poo poo all over the most powerful people in the country was pretty great

Hitler did that, and we didn't give him a passport.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

Its to recreate the feeling of the old stadium/save money on the costs of the new stadium. The Yankees are big loving money and they know it. If people really complain they could invest to fix the stadium, but they're confident not enough people will care.

You don't win about a 1/4 of all possible championships in your sport and not be big money.

So they've built a stadium on the cheap.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

Well I looked into it to make sure. 600 out of 50,000 seats were affected. They put tv monitors in the area and dropped the price from 12 to 5 USD. On the other hand the stadium cost 1.5 Billion USD so its not exactly like the 600 seats saved them a ton money.

I don't know much about stadium design engineering but it seems to me choosing to build a stand using 'traditional' supports rather than a modern cantilever design is a pretty fundamental decision to do things on the cheap and not something that could be easily fixed after it's built.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

It uses a cantilever design. The blockages are caused by art touches and sports bars.

Somebody has made some poor decisions.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Nothus posted:

It's classic baseball stadium design that brings back warm feelings about glory days gone by.

Some people are mugs. Would cholera bring back warm feelings about days gone by too?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Red Devils lay claim to having 333 million followers and 139 million core fans worldwide.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Core Fan is the new real fan.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Could somebody who is good with numbers and demographics work out if it's possible for 139 million people to have a grandad from Salford?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

FullLeatherJacket posted:

My dad doesn't like football. Or meat. Or social interaction. Or wearing shirts that don't look like curtains.

Or you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Bland posted:

You've literally never posted the words Liverpool or Chinese in this thread before this post

How is this relevant?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He'll keep them huanging on for this chinese takeaway.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hmm think I might start offering travel packages to the Riverside.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

brapbrapbrap posted:

The Afghan refugee market is really starting to open up apparently.

You should tell Quinn, it would be more profitable than packing your place with thousands of schoolkids given free tickets.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

brapbrapbrap posted:

Enjoy watching Championship football in front of 15,000 people again next season.

I will.

Enjoy watching your hugely expensive squad being lead to fourth bottom by a fat woman.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tempbot posted:

Doesn't take a genius to figure out why clubs wouldn't vote to let them in.

Because they're from Scotland?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Wigan can gently caress off.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Premier clubs 'wanted to let Pompey go to the wall'

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

partipo posted:

As it is now they've only got like 11 players on their first team so I don't have the first loving clue how they would even conceive of playing right now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

w00bi posted:

Could the bank theoretically take over the club and then force the sale of players and other assets (Anfield?) for money right away? Say Torres, Gerrard, Cole, and Reina all sold in January. This is a doomsday scenario I guess, I'm just wondering if the bank would have that much power.

That's not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
No the best protest was a bunch of geordies who protested at Mike Ashley by writing 'Boycout the Club' on their duvet cover.

Or maybe the geordies who booed out Bobby Robson - probably the same ones crying on Look North when he died.

Or maybe the ones insisting Keegan comes back to manage NUFC, which they'll be doing again come October.

• Locked thread