Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Croc posted:

1. David Conn is an awesome bloke who did alot for Mansfield Town when we were exposing Keith Haslam for the money grabbing oval office he was.

2. The fact that the FA will sit idelly by and let so called owners throw heaps and heaps of debt onto a club shows you how hosed up/out of touch they are.

3. United will be in the championship or lower by 2020 if not sooner.

Although I actually think if say United did go bust it would finally wake the FA up into chaning the owwner vetting process. And lord help the English game if Sky decide to scale back the amount they're willing to invest in tv rights.

I really doubt the FA could have done anything about it. United were a Plc, and the Glazer's buy-out was a fairly standard private-equity transaction - all totally routine and above-board, in spite of being pretty despicable. The FA doesn't have the power to change the law or the way the market works - the only stick they'd really have to wield would be to exclude the club from competition which would bankrupt it just as effectively as the buy-out, and would lead to a legal nightmare.

Getting financing directly from hedge funds is more than a bit weird though. They must have been totally unable to raise the money any other way to borrow from organisations that would never lend in that way unless they knew they were going to rape you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bovine Delight posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/07/manchester-city-chelsea-uefa

More UEFA posturing on making clubs break even. If this ever comes to play, watch Man City buy another team in the UAE, buy poo poo players from City for massive transfer fees. Look, Man City just broke even from buying 180m in players by selling two youth teamers for 90m a pop. :haw:

How can Platini come out and say this stuff with a straight face without mentioning Real? And while I don't like sugar-daddies, why is it somehow worse if a club runs up losses with money from a single wealthy backer, as opposed to clubs running up losses using other sources of finance? The wealthy owner is going to be a far more stable and cheap creditor than a consortium of banks.

I don't understand what grounds they could find to suspend them, without also having to suspend clubs making sustainable losses that are a normal/accepted part of running a business. "If you're running up losses and we reckon your owner looks a bit dodgy then you can't play"?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
FT Alphaville has been going through the United notes issue prospectus if anyone is interested in the heavy finance:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/01/11/123486/football-finance-man-utd-edition/
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2010/01/11/123811/piking-apart-the-man-utd-refinancing/

This is interesting:

quote:

In other words, it frees up some cash: the Glazer family will be able to take £70m out of the club’s resources of £116.6m and use it to repay some of the £200m PIK notes they personally used to finance the £780m buyout of the Premier League champions.

The PIKs, which have an eye-watering coupon of 14.25 per cent that rolls up annually, reside in the Red Football Joint Venture. This sits near the very top of the Manchester United financial structure.

If, as seems likely, the Glazers do that, the effect will be to make Manchester United even more leveraged than it is now.

What really interests me is the hedge funds. The Glazers financed the takeover by personally taking out loans directly from hedge funds at punishing interest rates, at a time when debt was plentiful and cheap. Why the hell did they do that? Whilst it was probably just a short-term measure that the credit crunch disrupted their ability to offload, I want someone to find out who the chief investors in those hedge funds are - because it really wouldn't shock me if it was the Glazers themselves using it as an avenue for taking more money out of the club.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jollzwhin posted:

Well here it is - firm details of the anti-Manchester City rules. Discouraging, United will probably not be affected, but this is a big problem for us if we want to play in Europe.

These looks like surprisingly decent rules in principle, but I doubt there's any way they can make them water-tight enough to stop lawyers and accountants creating corporate structures that run rings around them if anyone is especially determined (eg. Chelsea or City).

Hell, why even bother. "We've created the ultimate top-box executive club experience. A season ticket for this box costs an eminently reasonable £300m per season".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
While it's good that he saved the team, the fact that this guy bought the club and then found out about the state of its books afterwards says a lot about how many clubs have ended up the way they are.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Probably not his fault, read an article about newcastle and apparently there was £75m of debt hidden away that no one other than the old owners knew was there.

Well yes but the whole reason you do due diligence is to find that out before you hand over the money. Assuming the debt you're referring to wasn't there illegally then "hidden" just means "Mike Ashley didn't bring in expensive enough accountants".

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That adage about how anyone that wants to be President should be automatically disqualified from the job is pretty much true of potential Portsmouth owners at this point.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That free Sport magazine has a big bit on football finances today, it's pretty interesting if nothing revelatory.

I never realised quite how badly Liverpool are hurting for matchday revenue - £42.5m in 08/09 vs £74.5m for Chelsea, £100.1m for Arsenal and £108.8m for United.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can anyone explain to me the mechanism by which RBS will "take control" of Liverpool?

They obviously have a charge on the club's assets, but I'm not clear on how they will walk in and actually take over/replace management without having to alter the legal status of the club? How can they walk in and say "this is ours now" without having to go through the courts and put the club in to administration or liquidation?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Contrary to whoever it was in this thread was insisting that it was easy, Robert Peston was saying last week that RBS are still investigating whether or not it's possible for them to assume control of the club without sending it into administration

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The point is that a lot of people don't agree that a football club is a business like any other though. In fact I think it's silly to argue that they are - while they are run as businesses and exist in the same regulatory environment, they have drastically different origins and goals to most businesses.

It's wrong to dismiss the idea of preventing future highly leveraged buy-outs in football just because the strategy is legitimate in the wider market. I mean UEFA's new financial rules place restrictions on a business that would be utterly absurd in the wider market, but they are being accepted because people acknowledge that football clubs are not typical businesses.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Your position seems confused to me Fat Turkey. It seems like you're saying that leveraged buy-outs can't be restricted because football clubs exist as businesses like any other, then you're saying that UEFA can effectively restrict clubs financially because clubs need to be part of it's competitions.

I don't really see where you're drawing a distinction. I agree you can't close the stable door after the horse has bolted - the league can't do anything about LBOs that have already occurred as they were compliant with the rules at the time. But I don't see any particular issue with them putting the kibosh on any future deals - its their party and they can invite whoever they want - and I also don't see many valid reasons why they shouldn't do just that. Even where the club is a PLC the risk should lie with the equity investors that the club remains compliant with all relevant regulatory authorities in the industry in which it operates (even where that authority is the Premier League).

In this situation they're like a footballing UKLA.

peanut- fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 9, 2010

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fat Turkey posted:

Stuff

I guess we agree then really, except that I think the League should take action against any future LBOs. I don't think most people are asking for legal intervention, they want the Premier League or the FA to step up.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really don't agree at all. I understand the point about additional legislation being impractical and unlikely, but I don't see how additional scrutiny from the league itself about the financial structure of any takeover is not legitimate.

I work in corporate finance advisory to private equity firms, I know LBOs aren't bad. They are, however, risky - their success is often dependent on market conditions and the people undertaking them not being incompetent crooks.

Given that the Premier League is itself a business that has a vested interest in its constituent clubs remaining solvent, I think it's totally reasonable for the League to say that any future LBOs represent an unacceptable solvency risk. Whether or not the club is a PLC is irrelevant - any equity investor accepted at the time of purchase the fact that the business they were investing in was subject to independent industry bodies.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't understand why the clubs themselves seem so happy to go along with being screwed by agents.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I doubt it, they board have always been pretty explicit that the money is there if Wenger wants it.

Not really any information there either - it might just be an accounting loss rather than an actual decline in the cash position, or it might be a revenue timing issue that depresses half-year profits (depending on when money from the League or CL comes in for example).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jollzwhin posted:

Think so. City did under Thaksin and we spent it, then found out it was a huge financial black hole. If you assume everything your board says is rubbish you are generally nearer the truth.

Or you could actually look at the publicly filed accounts and see that Arsenal have a shedload of money sitting in the company and a very strong asset position.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

The Guardian posted:

Manchester United's parent company announces record £104.6m loss

Manchester United's parent company, Red Football Joint Venture Limited, has announced a record loss of £104.6m for the financial year ending June 2010.

This represents an increase of over £20m from the £83m deficit posted by Manchester United plc, the football club's company, in October.

Red Football Joint Venture Ltd's accounts cited the repayment of a bank loan totalling £526m giving "rise to an exceptional loss on interest rate swaps of £40.7m" and an unrealised currency exchange loss of £19.3m as the main factors for the loss.

The company's previous accounts, for the year up to June 2009, posted a profit of £6.4m due in the main to the £80m sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid.

The total debt is now £590.4m, up from the 2009 figure of £566.1m.

Link

Things looking nicely poised for that summer spending spree.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There isn't a long term idea. All that talk about United being Liverpool on a bigger scale might have died down, but it's still true. Eventually the Glazers will get in over their head (after having extracted millions) and the club will end up being sold to a billionaire willing to cover the debt.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

adumb posted:

You people are such morons.

Unsure about a shift away from decades of responsible and stable board management to a single owner with no real history with or attachment to the team? Morons.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

MoPZiG posted:

How much can you charge consistently to force someone into changing the club they support? In my mind Arsenal can charge as much as theyd like and its up to fans to reward other clubs who use more practical pricing structures with their patronage.

Given that even West Ham happily charge £50 a time for decent games and still fill their stadium, I doubt Arsenal are close to hitting the limit yet.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

quote:

Liverpool's managing director, Ian Ayre, has insisted the break-up of the established broadcasting deal, worth £3.2bn in total to all Premier League clubs for 2010‑13, is "a debate that has to happen", with the Anfield club in favour of the Spanish model that allows Barcelona and Real Madrid to negotiate individual contracts that dwarf their domestic and European rivals.

Football should just be the same two teams with all the money playing each other over and over again.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
No reason for City to support it - they have all the money they want anyway, and ending collective bargaining would just serve to make their immediate rivals richer and more able to compete.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why would we want anyone to challenge Sky? More competition will just cost fans more because we'll end up having to pay for multiple services to see all of the football. That's exactly the result right now even with only Setanta/ESPN.

If ESPN disappeared tomorrow, I doubt Sky would raise their sports price - we'd likely get all of the football for the same money. Sky aren't a utility and football isn't a necessity - Sky's prices are determined by what the best price/number-of-subscribers equilibrium point is rather than anything ESPN do.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The ECJ could rule it illegal regardless of what the Commission thinks.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's nothing wrong at all with the second one. In fact it seems to be an example of a tax incentive scheme working exactly as intended by the government - using tax breaks as a means of encouraging capital investment.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

This thread has come full circle, I was watching FC Servette draw 5000 people to a 35,000 seat stadium in the Swiss 2nd division last year and now this.

Do they have seats now? First football games I ever went to as a kid were sitting on the stone terraces at Servette.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
He is such a bent fucker

quote:

“I am not a tax fiddler, I am not any kind of fiddler,” Redknapp had told officers from City of London Police. “Never have been in my life. I don’t need to be. And I wouldn’t be. I don’t fiddle anybody. I pay my tax. I have paid a fortune in income tax. I have been in football all my life. I paid £1million in tax last year.

“I pay every penny [on what] I earn. If I have done something wrong it was certainly not purposely, that is a million per cent sure. I’ve not purposely gone out to try and avoid paying some income tax, why should I do that? I am not going to ruin my life, my wife’s life, my boys’ life. I have brought up a fantastic family. To try and nick a few quid off the income tax, why? I am not into that. I don’t need that. I would rather give you 100 grand rather than nick a few quid off you. We are givers not takers.”

Football managers are incapable of not sounding like football managers at all times.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
How much do Chelsea get from the CL every season? I'm always surprised how high their revenue is.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I doubt they're putting up any of the capital. Probably just got some revenue or ownership rights in return for use of the name.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That may all be true, but Leeds are owned by Ken Bates.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The CAS has possibly hosed whatever slim belief anyone might have had that Financial Fair Play could have worked:

quote:

CAS undermines FFP as it lifts Bursaspor's UEFA ban

June 25 - UEFA's hopes of imposing Financial Fair Play (FFP) sanctions against clubs who fail to balance the books have suffered a potentially damaging blow after Turkish club Bursaspor won a shock appeal against being banned from playing in Europe for failing to pay transfer fees.

In a test case that could have significant ramifications for UEFA, Bursaspor went to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and won its case.

Even though the club were fined €250,000 (£200,800/$312,500), a one-year European ban imposed by UEFA's appeals body was overturned and instead suspended for three years.

Bursaspor had qualified for next season's Europa League by winning a four-team domestic playoff but a year earlier fell foul of UEFA's Club Licensing laws – which cover debts rather than losses and are a forerunner of FFP – and were barred from Europe because of outstanding unpaid transfer fees dating back to 2007.

The club took the case to the CAS and the outcome in their favour will have been watched closely by clubs across Europe.

UEFA will now fear a spate of similar appeals when its FFP regulations start to bite and, not surprisingly, expressed "disappointment and surprise" at the CAS decision to allow Bursaspor, the 2010 Turkish champions, to take part in next season's Europa League.

"UEFA is of the firm opinion that it is imperative for clubs to pay their debts to other football clubs, and will remain vigilant to ensure that this happens in accordance with the rules laid down in the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play regulations," UEFA said in a statement.

"These basic principles of good conduct should be strongly supported, and not undermined, by any future rulings from CAS."

The CAS haven't released their reasoning yet though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Remember when DHL paid United £40m to sponsor their practice kits?

United have bought out the contract because they think they can get more from elsewhere. Football is loving mental.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They can't really. The guy that signed it did so without proper approval iirc, and was shown the door quickly as a result.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Where the hell did you see this? If that was the case wouldn't GM be throwing a huge hissy fit because of the sum of money involved, more than a half a billion US dollars? Sounds like to me you are talking our of your arse.

Bit aggressive this tbh. It was a story at the time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Wait, so if you have a United league season ticket you are forced to buy European/FA cup tickets too?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's mental. It makes those price comparisons utterly meaningless as far as United are concerned.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They've announced results but they haven't filed accounts yet. I think they like to do it at the last minute, so we won't get to find out how they've fudged it until some time in February next year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is there an official ABU paint supplier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clubs get the vast vast majority of their income from non-matchday sources anyway, let alone restricting it to just tickets.

This isn't really true is it? I know Manchester United and Arsenal still make 35-40% of their revenue from matchdays, and that's with CL money. I don't know if the proportion gets more or less for teams with smaller stadiums but no CL money though.

• Locked thread