Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Just like watching Brazil
Depends whether they can hang on and go into administration or whether the winding-up order succeeds I believe. Haven't posted about City here yet because I don't have details about our most recent finances but I'll make an effort post when I find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

please do, i still don't understand exactly how your owners are funding you and how it differs to chelsea's situation.

Now Abramovic has supposedly written-off his interest free loans, not a lot - although of course we have bigger pockets. We are also buying up nearby land to COMS as well (the long-term plan is to have the youth team and main team training grounds in the same place hopefully on the far side of little COMS (a small stadium to the side of COMS used for reserve games)) and this land is being moved into a holding company at the moment - but as I said, I'll effort post once I find our financial breakdown - there was a huge Deloitte breakdown of finances of all the Premier League clubs but I can't find it anywhere at the moment.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Glazers trying to sort out the debt. Interest payments were £69 million last year, insane.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article6973929.ece

I'm trying to work out how much money Leeds have just cost them denying them a cup run, multiple millions certainly.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Vando posted:

The best bit is that it seems absolutely noone from the society knew about this until trying to get out of the contract as it's bankrupting the club.

You are all Mike Ashley.

Robert Peston has a few words on United's debt.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Randy Lerner is doing ok.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Wiping out losses will take an unknown amount of time, getting into the Champions League and a bunch of top-4 finishes in the league will help a ton though. I don't believe Platini's threats are anything to worry about.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Scikar posted:

It's not "something", we know exactly what it is - the club is paying for its own takeover by greedy American cunts. The big problem is finding a way out - the Glazers bought United believing they could later sell it on for a profit. The only way they will be gotten rid of is either an oil baron buying the club with his own cash (not really something that I think we should have more of in the EPL and certainly not an objective any club should be hoping for to balance the books), or the Glazers default on the loans and we become owned by a consortium of banks and investors who all want their money back (bye bye squad!).

I'm beginning to think it might be a good thing if the club did a Leeds. The EPL and FA would be forced to act to stop such hosed up takeovers happening to clubs and I'd be able to afford to go to matches again if I moved back to the northwest.

I've said it before, I don't want United to do a Leeds because no derbies would suck. The best thing might be actually to get shot of your owners soon, take the administration and restructure, because the loss of 10 points isn't going to mean poo poo to United for a season.

Also your posts on United are fantastic by the way :glomp:

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

Went poking around to have a look at how much the Fa cup and The champions league are worth to clubs financially. Especially given United's figures which are absolutely terrifying for any fan of theirs.

This doesn't include tv and radio money as i could only find it of the first 4 rounds (£160k for 3+4, £260k 5+6) or ticket revenue but small clubs can clear £1,000,000 for a 3rd round tie against one of the top four clubs.

United can sell out pretty much any game and ITV are guaranteed to show the cunts, I imagine the losses of getting Leeds'd are pretty huge - you get a lot of money for TV rights.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Spurs are a good bet, Newcastle are too actually. No money man in their right mind will go near United as it stands.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Dudley posted:

Or to put it another way, Man City fans really didn't celebrate Liverpool's exit from the competition nearly enough.

They will take the Europa league less seriously and it's good to have one of our rivals getting tied up in games, so I was actually fairly disappointed they got knocked out. It doesn't matter how much money Liverpool make from the Champions League - it's the league we are currently fighting them in.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

If they'd won it and we had got 4th, well the odds on that would be ridiculous because there was no way Liverpool were going to win it this year but that's one of those "welp, it happens" situations, we'd have been setting out the stall for next year anyway.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Stim posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/13/glazers-manchester-united-training-ground

Not going to comment on whether or not this will be successful but the Glazers picked an awful time to release it.

It's right next door to City. We could have a youth ground and bail out our neighbours perhaps.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Hey Onouha is class :(

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Vando posted:

Duncan Bannatyne ensures no trophies are won by anyone for five years straight.

You may have the largest attendance in the league, but frankly your Chicken Balti pies are rubbish - and for that reason I'm out.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

1.8m a year to David Gill loving hell

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Well here it is - firm details of the anti-Manchester City rules. Discouraging, United will probably not be affected, but this is a big problem for us if we want to play in Europe.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

I'm not sure that supporting United's debt structure really means that it's a good set of rules. I mean they are fine with the current rules as they are turning a profit despite their crippling debt.

I'm sure City will find a way around the rules, but it's a set of rules clearly targetted at City and to a lesser extent Chelsea rather than rules to really shore up the game.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Manchester United raise £504m in bond issue

Well this might stave off the fateful day for a short while.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Starbucks posted:

Gaddafi hated Thatcher, enemy of enemy etc...seems fit and proper to me.

That's convinced me.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

If we need to bail them out to avoid Liverpool gaining ground on us we can just pay them to take Benjani off our hands.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Jose posted:

While there is a lot wrong with modern football Portsmouth really can't blame it all on that. They spent obscene money they didn't have, were dodgy as gently caress constantly and generally retarded to levels that are unfathomable.

And they employed Harry Redknapp.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

IIRC half of the money coming in goes toward prizes, and the other half is split equally.

This is about right but some filters down and others bits are used for the parachute payments to the relegated (over 3 years).

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

I think the payment is likely to take place, as has been pointed out the knock on effect for the other teams if one goes under is pretty severe - plus the nagging thought in clubs like Liverpool's minds that they might be next.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

4 million is a hideous amount of debt for a League 2 club, they are hosed.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

What cunts Kasper and Sol Campbell are

Yes cunts to accept a high salary offered to them...

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Biggy_ posted:

Dropping 3 divisions for a payday is pretty cuntish, especially when you're only 23.

He was probably on something not much less at City. And yes, he's a bit poo poo.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Byolante posted:

Man City want 4th. They are floating there levelish with liverpool. Liverpool goes up by 6 points if pompey folds. I can see them paying 20m a piece for those 3.

We won't. It's 'when' not 'if' that we make the top 4, our owners aren't fools and we can afford to wait a season or two - sorry Pompey.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Pompey would have fallen foul of a properly enforced law, the arms-dealing dad and all that.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, I know that and that's how Bosman came about. That's why I say, if there was anything in it, it would have happened back then/by now.

There's no interest from either party. Clubs would have players walking out all the time and players get a cut of the huge fees so they aren't going to change their approach either.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Jose posted:

Well I'm probably misremembering/misreading because it seems odd, especially a 20 point deduction.

In not-entirely Portsmouth news, apparently 18 premier league clubs have debt of 53% of every club in Europe. Thats pretty ridiculous, but then you remember that Man Utd and Chelsea make up half of that between them.

You get a deduction the next season rather than this with a certain amount of time remaining, I think it's end of March and afterwards. As Jakiri says, I think there is something where you get two penalties if you try to take administration knowing you are hosed anyway but I have no idea how that is measured.

The other clubs should stop dragging us down debt-wise :smug:

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Bovine Delight posted:

20 point deduction in the Championship, everyone gunning for Pompey scalp and what remains of the team is going to be sold off. Loans will all end. Wonder if Pompey will pull a Leeds? Seem likely.

They can't really 'do a Leeds' because that implies they are a big club like Leeds were/are. Pompey overspent massively and paid the price for it, that's all.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Brilliant post, thanks Iggy Pop Barker.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

when five live talked to pompey fans, only half put their hand up when they asked if they would trade the fa cup for not being in a mess. No matter what people say, in the end they are going to walk through the turnstile and want their team to be doing well.

Also the glazers are not going to sell, they are just at the point of being able to really start making money from the club. I also really really doubt that these 'red knights' are willing to throw away a billion to get the glazers out.

I'm not sure that increasing United's debt by cutting their ticket income is a great way to be able to afford buying the club. Also the Glazers are already making money, the accounts show they are skimming loads off the top.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Doesn't stop American sports teams from being successful.

It's a closed market, there is no competition from outside the country. In football, footballers just gently caress off to Spain.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

I support my club, I don't support the club's owners. I didn't support the owners even when it was Wardle and the rest of the old regime who were really pretty harmless. I don't like Thaksin and I'm not a huge fan of the Sheikh. However I am a fan of Manchester City.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Flayer posted:

People in London are richer than northerners so it makes sense that tickets cost a bit extra. The average yearly income in London is around 30k while if you are from Wigan or something you'll be lucky to earn enough to pay tax.

But people in London are the ones who go to United games, so the price comparison is totally fair.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Yeah, if you make £30k in London, you're not going to the football. You'll be lucky to be able to go outside.

I've covered this before, it's a complete excuse, and it's propagated by people who think that the north is full of polar bears and dirt.

It's grim oop north!

GravityDaemon posted:

I was listening to the BBC World Service this morning and they had a bit about the Red Knights. They interviewed a couple of "international" fans about what they think of the Glazers, and while they unanimously hated them, they couldn't come up with any better reason to depose them other than "Anything is better than them!".

Of course, one from Austria, one from Russia and one from Malaysia, so it was pretty ridiculous to begin with. They all referred to Manchester United as "Manchester" as well.

No doubt they cherry-picked some idiots, not that that is particularly hard as most football fans are idiots.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Adnar posted:

When I went to Sunderland with Everton, it was hilarious how everyone kept going on about how grim it was and why would anyone want to live in this poo poo hole. Apart from it coming from the mouth of some pretty poor looking scouses, we hadn't actually been anywhere apart from the motor way and the stadium. Love an indoctrinated stereotype

It's a tiered system, at least Manchester/Liverpool have some culture etc, Birmingham is wasteland and don't even mention the north-east. Basically every area of Britain hates every other area, generally for poo poo reasons.

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

Incitatus posted:

Look at Lord Fontelroy taking the Tube and cabs. Nothing wrong with your 24 hour busses in London.

Just because you can't expense your transport :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollzwhin
Oct 13, 2004

The only good thing I have to say about Bolton is that they saw the error of their ways fairly quickly and sacked the ginger man.

• Locked thread