Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
We have mice, birds, spiders and now cockroachs in my hangar. Gimmie mouse office any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
We have mice and spiders, working our way towards cockroaches. The birds avoid basements.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Its almost like working in buildings built in the 40s isnt ideal!!

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

we have a family of raccoons. Big upgrade.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Legitimately jealous

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Do you have to salute the raccoons

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Do you have to salute the raccoons

Who wouldnt respect raccoons more than people you actually have to salute

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We have mice and spiders, working our way towards cockroaches

in the stoooore

in the stoooooooooore

we have mice and a spider and a cockroach right beside her

in the quar ter mas ters' store

:tinfoil: Scouting was just indoctrination, to make us okay with this

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
We just found mice in our building and I'm kinda shocked that we're not the exception.

We also got an CO2 & air quality check recently and, uhh, lol

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its almost like working in buildings built in the 40s isnt ideal!!
I'd loving kill for a PMQ right now!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

continual clusterfuck update:
Found a new clinic. GP refused to do my forms. "Not your family doctor, not taking new patients, also you don't have one anyway. Bye."
Phoned original clinic. Nearest appointment: 30th.
Told that I could try a walk in Friday.
[Note: Said clinic is 45 minutes by bike]

Emailed the recruiting centre with a hail-mary ask if I could appeal the need for the forms, which I strongly doubt but given how much Alberta's lovely health services are ping-ponging me around I have to ask.

How the gently caress is anyone supposed to actually do this? Like 95% of this problem is "No family doctor." What is anyone supposed to do in that case, give up? I'm definitely not, but this is a clusterfuck.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Nothing in the military works, save yourself the assache and dont join

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I had a med tech do my medical and just needed an eye exam from an optometrist during recruitment. Something get flagged in your questionnaire or something? This was also the reserves so ymmv

My Spirit Otter posted:

Nothing in the military works, save yourself the assache and dont join

Also this.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

I had a med tech do my medical and just needed an eye exam from an optometrist during recruitment. Something get flagged in your questionnaire or something? This was also the reserves so ymmv

I told them I had mild allergies and when I was in grade school a teacher thought I might maybe have ADD but was never diagnosed. Oh and I had strep throat this one time and used to have egzema.

This resulted in 5 papers I need a GP to complete. One of which did, basically filling out "No these aren't real issues." he then didn't sign or date it, so it was refused.
Since that dudes really far away I tried a closer doc after emailing and asking, and getting a refusal to send me the photocopies. So I went to the new clinic, who refused to even read the papers.
Next step: Going back to that far-away clinic friday, as a walk in (no appointments) and trying for "please loving sign that poo poo."
It's fun.

The overall lesson I learned was that I was too forthcoming in being truthful, apparently. Oh and that Alberta's healthcare system has already collapsed.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 15, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

SRQ posted:

The overall lesson I learned was that I was too forthcoming in being truthful, apparently.

Honestly, after I got rejected for having a kidney stone one time, I have to agree. I get the duty to report, integrity, etc, but DMedPol restrictions are kinda bullshit.

At the very least, everyone has a lovely recruiting story, and this one will be yours.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was honest about last smoking weed only 3 months before my interview (this was 2004). I had to reapply 3 months later to make the 6 month cutoff

Basically every other guy in my recruit class lied and one even did his interview stoned. Hope you're doing well out there Ricky

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Well dead queen is adding a delay, but the recruiting centre seems a bit understanding after the last doc straight refused to even READ THE FORMS.

So next weeks plan: Get the incorrect documents.
Attempt appointment with doctor suggested by family (Chances low, he's listed as no new patients)
Attempt appointment at other doctor taking new patients (chances moderate, but he might insist on testing which again, Jesus Christ, the forms don't say they need testing the forms say IF TESTING HAS BEEN DONE)
Take incorrect documents to original clinic as walk in (lmao dudes on there m/f) and beg/bribe them to just sign the loving thing.

If I had known this would be such a clusterfuck I would have skipped to his level of effort instead of "Well it takes a week to get back and forth, but surely at the end of it I'll have what I need. Right? ... right?"

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

Well dead queen is adding a delay, but the recruiting centre seems a bit understanding after the last doc straight refused to even READ THE FORMS.

So next weeks plan: Get the incorrect documents.
Attempt appointment with doctor suggested by family (Chances low, he's listed as no new patients)
Attempt appointment at other doctor taking new patients (chances moderate, but he might insist on testing which again, Jesus Christ, the forms don't say they need testing the forms say IF TESTING HAS BEEN DONE)
Take incorrect documents to original clinic as walk in (lmao dudes on there m/f) and beg/bribe them to just sign the loving thing.

If I had known this would be such a clusterfuck I would have skipped to his level of effort instead of "Well it takes a week to get back and forth, but surely at the end of it I'll have what I need. Right? ... right?"

I used https://search.cpsa.ca/ and then searched the available doctors against their RateMD profiles, and found one with decent ratings and I am in fact waiting for my intake appointment with this potential new family doc for me as we speak. Maybe it'll help if you don't have luck this week

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9154586/canadian-military-shortage-of-recruits/

Should I change the thread title to “Help Wanted, seriously, pretty please”?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
'dogs, ponies, but no privates'

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FrozenVent posted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9154586/canadian-military-shortage-of-recruits/

Should I change the thread title to “Help Wanted, seriously, pretty please”?

For the best, really. There's enough staffing shortages elsewhere that you can't even process all the new recruits in an adequate amount of time.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Doctor Paperwork Clusterfuck Update:
Got the original doctor to date and sign the papers. Took 3 hours of biking for 120 seconds of work but whatever.
Realized we had no working scanner. Thankfully I have a vintage computer hobby and had a strange feeling I didn't want to E-waste the SCSI scanner we have.
So between that, a Power Mac 8600 and a Zip disk, scanned them and sent them in. Then was told I used thew wrong format.
So I sent them a google drive because the files are too big and somehow I feel like I'm going to end up just bringing the papers in.

Anyone done BMOQ here? I'm curious if officer recruits are in barracks or get dorms. Further, if I should bring my Fancy MacBook or if it would be completely worthless in that setting and I'd just get made fun of.
Further further- Apple Watch? I absolutely adore mine but it also strikes me as "the drill sergeants might tell me to gently caress off with it."

I guess really it's just questioning how much latitude an officer recruit has with bringing their own stuff, or if I should bring nothing. Should I bring my own boots even? Parents offered to buy some.

also yeah lmao at the whole "Canadian army desperate for recruits" and how incredibly painful the process is. That might be part of the problem, maybe. I see no reason why this paperwork clusterfuck could not have been done in-house and American friends are completely baffled our military doesn't just you know, do that. It doesn't even really make sense- why would the forces trust a public service GP over their own professionals?

I am incredibly committed to this but they sure don't make it easy.

Mederlock posted:

I used https://search.cpsa.ca/ and then searched the available doctors against their RateMD profiles, and found one with decent ratings and I am in fact waiting for my intake appointment with this potential new family doc for me as we speak. Maybe it'll help if you don't have luck this week

Thanks though if I end up having to find a new one, good resource. DESPERATELY HOPE NOT.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 27, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

A Private reservist makes less than minimum wage in BC. That's on top of the housing crisis. So we're not offsetting staffing shortages with PRes.

We've repeatedly been told at the national level that there's no SWE to hire more indeterminate civilian positions, so that's no-go.

Where I live, a Corporal can expect to pay maybe half their take-home income on rent. Seeing Snr NCM's with a second job is common if they have a family.

I understand CFHA has to match local market rates (because we're dumb), but we've got to stop ignoring this housing problem if we want to attract new applicants. No one loving cares what hair styles are allowed now. If there was adequate military housing available at affordable rates—especially for families—people would be flocking to the CF in droves. As it stands, I'm not sure I could possibly afford to uproot my family and enter a totally new housing market with a Spec 0 Cpl's salary.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 27, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

SRQ posted:

Doctor Paperwork Clusterfuck Update:
Got the original doctor to date and sign the papers. Took 3 hours of biking for 120 seconds of work but whatever.
Realized we had no working scanner. Thankfully I have a vintage computer hobby and had a strange feeling I didn't want to E-waste the SCSI scanner we have.
So between that, a Power Mac 8600 and a Zip disk, scanned them and sent them in. Then was told I used thew wrong format.
So I sent them a google drive because the files are too big and somehow I feel like I'm going to end up just bringing the papers in.

Anyone done BMOQ here? I'm curious if officer recruits are in barracks or get dorms. Further, if I should bring my Fancy MacBook or if it would be completely worthless in that setting and I'd just get made fun of.
Further further- Apple Watch? I absolutely adore mine but it also strikes me as "the drill sergeants might tell me to gently caress off with it."

I guess really it's just questioning how much latitude an officer recruit has with bringing their own stuff, or if I should bring nothing. Should I bring my own boots even? Parents offered to buy some.

also yeah lmao at the whole "Canadian army desperate for recruits" and how incredibly painful the process is. That might be part of the problem, maybe. I see no reason why this paperwork clusterfuck could not have been done in-house and American friends are completely baffled our military doesn't just you know, do that. It doesn't even really make sense- why would the forces trust a public service GP over their own professionals?

I am incredibly committed to this but they sure don't make it easy.

Thanks though if I end up having to find a new one, good resource. DESPERATELY HOPE NOT.

The joining instructions for BMOQ are literally the first google hit.

You'll make a fine officer :)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

As soon as i read bmoq everything made sense, lol

We have enough officers, too many officers. Like 3-1 officer ncm.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 27, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

As soon as i read bmoq everything made sense, lol

We have enough officers, too many officers. Like 3-1 officer ncm.

That'll happen when you value officers too much and not the NCMs.

That and when you need to rotate out so many for investigations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ita brutal, my unit is almost 1:1 officee ncm, and one group are barely at work and the other are working too much and busting their asses working. Guess which one is which...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Which ones do the mice and raccoons fall into?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Raccoons are definitely ncms. Ready to rob your rear end of food.

Mice are officers because they sneak around and scatter when real people come around.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

Raccoons are definitely ncms. Ready to rob your rear end of food.

Mice are officers because they sneak around and scatter when real people come around.

True... true.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bugged an online vendor who said he received special authorization from the crown to print dog tags with CDN FORCES CDN on them.

Immediately tried finding me on linkedin.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

I know that! I was asking about personal experience and advice.
afaik the joining instructions are don't take anything not explicitly directed to, which makes perfect sense.
That also doesn't answer my dorm/barracks question.

Oh I was looking in the wrong spot, it does mention laptops as "restricted" but not if it's stupid in the first place to bring one.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 27, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The OCdt who joined our BMQ said they lived in single-room dorms. He also said he gave up his commission to join us because he was tired of the bullshit.

Video checks out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4gjPQF7y0

Anything you show up with that isn't on the list gets locked in a closet and you won't see it again until the weekend your DS decides to open it, so yeah, travel lightest. You can always send for something you forgot; better than getting stuck with it. We had guys who had laptops and used 'em to watch movies and stuff after classes, and as long as they weren't left somewhere stupid during inspection nobody said boo. I can't see them letting you keep a smartwatch though; we all wore those awful canex ones :)

e: Maybe uh, don't go dismantling the emergency PA system so you can connect its speaker to your computer to hear those movies better. I'm told that's not advisable.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 27, 2022

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

The OCdt who joined our BMQ said they lived in single-room dorms. He also said he gave up his commission to join us because he was tired of the bullshit.

Video checks out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM4gjPQF7y0

Anything you show up with that isn't on the list gets locked in a closet and you won't see it again until the weekend your DS decides to open it, so yeah, travel lightest. You can always send for something you forgot; better than getting stuck with it.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I did also find that video myself but also found references to barracks.

Leave laptop, probably sell it beforehand actually. Thank much.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

edit

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

but we've got to stop ignoring this housing problem

This is a Canada wide problem that every government will continue to ignore because our elected officials and high level policymakers are over represented by landlords.

We are so short of workers in general but the problem with the army is that we can’t just bitch at the government that the common folk are asking too much money and import cheap labour.

yet

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I want to know who was the person responsible for allowing royal lepage to leave the hq building and turn into bgrs.

That person deserves a thousand deaths.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We have mice and spiders, working our way towards cockroaches. The birds avoid basements.

A social worker I used to work with frequently snacked at their desk and ate like a hog, scattering crumbs everywhere. Our office very quickly developed a robust mouse problem.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

A social worker I used to work with frequently snacked at their desk and ate like a hog, scattering crumbs everywhere. Our office very quickly developed a robust mouse problem.

Thankfully for us, our cafeteria has been closed since the start of covid so everyone has to eat at their desks (likely causing the mouse problem!)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I wish you could drive to your new base in one shot and still claim the x days they alot the drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

I wish you could drive to your new base in one shot and still claim the x days they alot the drive.

gently caress that reminds me, ex-coworker's partner was forced to move to the other side of the country, but was lucky enough to be able to work from home. Except they were forced to use vacation days.

Then their truck parked in a naval yard or some poo poo and nobody knew where the gently caress the truck was for over a week, because that's how moving companies work?