Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Don't eat the cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Really good thing about the artillery is they are very efficient at processing OTs

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Hizawk posted:

Really good thing about the artillery is they are very efficient at processing OTs

Lol no they arent, thats how they keep the numbers up

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

congrats/condolences

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Seriously though, ask for shilo, its not as bad as everyone says and if you ask for it youre almost guaranteed to get it. Going to shilo also ensures you wont get stuck in whiskey battery in gagetown which is in the field st least 3/4s of the year, or was and has 0 chance of deploying or getting tasked.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

I SAID
THEY ACCEPTED ME AS AN OFFICER
INTO AN AR-TIL-ER-Y COMPANY

DID YOU FORGET YOUR HEARING AID AGAIN GRANDPA?

after a few years in you and gramps can get matching hearing aids ❤️👴

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

My Spirit Otter posted:

Seriously though, ask for shilo, its not as bad as everyone says and if you ask for it youre almost guaranteed to get it. Going to shilo also ensures you wont get stuck in whiskey battery in gagetown which is in the field st least 3/4s of the year, or was and has 0 chance of deploying or getting tasked.

Most importantly though, it'd mean avoiding Gagetown entirely.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fearless posted:

Most importantly though, it'd mean avoiding Gagetown entirely.

It would not, sadly. Thats where the school is!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

What _is_ Shilo? I thought the first time this was brought up was some sort of in-joke.

Regardless, yes "congrats". This is the only plausible gateway out of the poo poo-pit hell with no future that Alberta is now, and beyond that certain world events forced a moral promise I always made myself to be put into practice. So thank you.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Hizawk posted:

...Overtime? Occupational Therapy?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SRQ posted:

What _is_ Shilo? I thought the first time this was brought up was some sort of in-joke.

Regardless, yes "congrats". This is the only plausible gateway out of the poo poo-pit hell with no future that Alberta is now, and beyond that certain world events forced a moral promise I always made myself to be put into practice. So thank you.

Shilo is a small base 20 minutes east of brandon, mb and 2 hours west of winnipeg. When i left in 2011, the only things outside of the base were a trailer park, gas station, and a motel and accompanying offsite sales and bar.

SRQ posted:

...Overtime? Occupational Therapy?

Close, occupational transfer

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Honestly, not a bad base if you like hunting/fishing/camping.

Many a time i camped around the river bombing around farmers fields on a dirt bike, too drunk to stand. Good times.

If you head south from the base, theres a bridge over the red river that you can drive down beside and it was a prett good place to camp.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Congrats future gunner.

Wear your ear-pro
Wear your ear-pro
WEAR YOUR loving EAR-PRO, No matter how much anyone tries to mock you for it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

dont listen to him, he just wants people to think youre a nerd

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Congrats future gunner.

Wear your ear-pro
Wear your ear-pro
WEAR YOUR loving EAR-PRO, No matter how much anyone tries to mock you for it.

I absolutely 250% am going to be "that guy" that wears his ear protection like he's afraid the fluid in his head is gonna fall out without it.
I have very, very, good hearing and I'm not about to lose it if I can help it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

More like having to sleep with something on to drown out the ringing sucks

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

You would think that there would be a serious culture of safety in a government job that will be paying out the costs of this injury forever but I suppose not?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

my morning jackass posted:

You would think that there would be a serious culture of safety in a government job that will be paying out the costs of this injury forever but I suppose not?

Well you've got that running up against feeling of invincibility and a problem that takes a long time to develop.

"I'm fine," the private.says.
"I'm fine!" the corporal barks.
"I'M FINE!" the master corporal shouts.
"WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU JUST CALL ME??" the sergeant screams.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The longer I work in safety management, the more I realize that there are only two possible root causes:

1. Capitalism
2. Toxic masculinity

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

US Army, I had an officer tell us not to worry about how much a training exercise might gently caress us up because “the VA will pay you for it later.”

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lol, in an org full of swinging dicks who hold the medical pension as almost as aspiration to obtain?

Techs will wander out to a running jet with naught but foamies in their ears and wonder why their car stereo is so quiet as it's thundering through the closed windows so loud you can make out the lyrics from across the street. Then we have meetings on the hangar floor, and absolutely nobody can hear what the speaker is saying, because he's also deaf as hell and doesn't cotton on to how loud hangars are just from all the poo poo running so he just speaks in a normal tone of voice to 300 people 15m away.

I try really hard to force PPE onto my apprentices, because that stuff generally doesn't come back once it's gone. Time will tell.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Look we can't expect the officer ranks to bring in a better, safer approach to work. That sort of culture change can only come from the bottom up! :eng99:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Yeah! That's why we make most of our ROTP candidates attend a college with prevelent sexual misconduct!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Yeah! That's why we make most of our ROTP candidates attend a college with prevelent sexual misconduct!

How else will they make cds??

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

stevobob posted:

"Veteran's Education Benefit" and is a genuinely good benefit from what I can tell, everyone is entitled to it after six years ($40k, $5k/semester), and entitled to twice the amount after 12 years ($80k max, $10k/semester).

A lot more than that now, its $92,392.30 for 12 years and half that for six.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/education-and-jobs/back-to-school/education-training-benefit

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

92k seems like a lot. Are you able to use it for living expenses or is this just education expenses? Feels like you could get a professional bachelors and masters with that easily.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Sort of legalese but "The Education and Training Benefit (“the Benefit”) provides up to $80,000 [currently 92k+] (taxable) to cover mandatory education costs and some incidental and living expenses"

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/document/2685#anchor99751

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
I have always been curious - what does "some incidental and living expenses" actually mean - are there any outlines and regulations?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

BMOQ wants me to get a "sports watch."
Ya'll got any suggestions or should I just pick up whatever basic thing with decent utility I see at the mall?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'd just buy a $20 Casio whatever from wal mart. One of those lasted me my career and a tour. Just needs an alarm and illumination, nothing fancy. Theft is definitely a thing too so I'd wait until you're more seasoned before you look at those fancy operator mgrs watches or whatever.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Casio f91w is gods watch

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

So, i had stretched ears as a teen then joined and took them out and left them out. Well im back up to around 1/4 to 3/16th of an inch.

Edit: i know nobody cares, but i like these changes to the dress policy

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2023

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my hair is getting long af and it’s beautiful. new regs are so nice.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

my hair is getting long af and it’s beautiful. new regs are so nice.

Theres a guy walking around 17 wing with dyed bright red hair and beard, its pretty magnificent

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
My crusty WO immediately went to bright fluorescent pink hair, so that the troops would feel more comfortable with non-conservative hairstyles. He’s a gem.

Some chain of comds are still Just Not Getting It (I’m looking at you BGen REDACTED, for banning sunglasses with “bright” frames or lenses within your formation (And having the loving nerve to send your EA around to people to tell them that “The General doesn’t like your sunglasses”))

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nofeed posted:

My crusty WO immediately went to bright fluorescent pink hair, so that the troops would feel more comfortable with non-conservative hairstyles. He’s a gem.

Some chain of comds are still Just Not Getting It (I’m looking at you BGen REDACTED, for banning sunglasses with “bright” frames or lenses within your formation (And having the loving nerve to send your EA around to people to tell them that “The General doesn’t like your sunglasses”))

Your WO could teach your BGen a thing or two about leadership, I think.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is low-stubble accepted male facial hair? I'm kinda torn between (what I know of as a civilian) regulations of bare skin or growing an actual beard. The former I have to get used to because I have baby skin, the latter has always been itchy as poo poo. Low stubble was my middle ground for the last forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Afaik, keep it clean and tidy and you can have almost whatever you want

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I only shave a couple times a week anymore and am typically the least scruffy non-coalition person in my area because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Nofeed posted:

The solution to that is, of course, bigger sunglasses.