Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

It's amazing in both how far the CAF has shifted it's culture in the thirteen years I've been in and yet how absolutely far away it is from achieving it's objective at the same time.

It was so staggeringly toxic even thirteen years ago that when I was describing the common culture as an infanteer back in 08' my wife was horrified at the stuff I was describing.

And how we're still nowhere near where we should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The "it's not happening in my unit" attitude is not only wrong, it's long served as the excuse to keep one's fingers in their ears.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 7, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hell there was a MBdr in my unit who made it a point of pride to gently caress at least one female candidate on every course he instructed on. The guy instructed on at least 5 DP1 arty courses at Pet between 2003-2010.

A girl I joined with who went to have a very distinguished career (went reg force MP, airborne, 2 tours in Afghanistan) recently made a Facebook post about the sexual harassment being a major reason for her early retirement.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

Hell there was a MBdr in my unit who made it a point of pride to gently caress at least one female candidate on every course he instructed on. The guy instructed on at least 5 DP1 arty courses at Pet between 2003-2010.

A girl I joined with who went to have a very distinguished career (went reg force MP, airborne, 2 tours in Afghanistan) recently made a Facebook post about the sexual harassment being a major reason for her early retirement.

That's a short list; I probably know her, and without knowing her name I will blindly confirm all of her claims because holy gently caress

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yep.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
The rampant infidelity and treatment of women disgusted me enough to contribute to my release, but I definitely didn't do anything to stop it - not that I probably could have anyway. The CF is long overdue for a reckoning.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hizawk posted:

It's amazing in both how far the CAF has shifted it's culture in the thirteen years I've been in and yet how absolutely far away it is from achieving it's objective at the same time.

It was so staggeringly toxic even thirteen years ago that when I was describing the common culture as an infanteer back in 08' my wife was horrified at the stuff I was describing.

And how we're still nowhere near where we should be.

The Petawawa hazing scandal was in 1995:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1995/01/23/Disgraced-airborne-regiment-disbanded/5605790837200/

Twenty-six years ago.

...yeah it’s a problem with deep roots.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Mine was the first "new guy party" in ages at the 3RCR shacks (only a decade after that) and while we didn't have to literally eat poo poo, being forced to funnel beers until you puke then funnelling some more until you puke again (repeat for a few hours) then slip&sliding down a beer and broken glass-filled hallway would probably be considered pretty abusive by... literally anyone.

I distinctly recall a guy who singled me out and threatened to rape me (I'm male). We ended up being good friends later on but it's just that casual violence and abuse that was the norm, not to mention the racism. Which, again, wasn't overtly hostile in the "we actually hate you because you're brown/black" way, but the jokes and stereotypes that would be unacceptable in any workplace since the 90s.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd have to go back to ye olde tymes of 2017 to remember the last time I overheard some officers casually tossing around some (hard-r) n-words.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I remember how excited dudes my unit were to go crack some native skulls when the Caledonia occupation started.

It's almost like it's a toxic environment of mainly white men!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not just! I also had a non-white NCO tell me he "could harm [his female platoon commander] sexually" in the mid aughts :wtc:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"I just prevented another rape" is definitely a thing that master corporal MPs should be saying after they allow a woman to walk past and out of earshot

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Today after fixing his car, I mentioned it to my grandpa who served for 20 years from around the 70's-90's in the medics corp, and he said it was really freaking bad (and this is from a sometimes mildly racist and occasionally bigoted person). Like he told me had a chief WO who made it a point of pride to change up his wife every few years with whoever the cutest new private or corporal was, and that's just what he mentioned offhand.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I was waiting to post this one, as I hadn't realized that it (quietly) hit the media circuit already.

https://inquinte.ca/story/fallen-soldier-arrives-at-cfb-trenton-sunday

Edit: It is a very lovely situation, and I hope his family is doing okay. :(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 22, 2021

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sexual-assault-allegations-vice-admiral-haydn-edmundson-1.5963430

If these allegations are true, this is just loving awful. 19 years old. :(

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Let's fix it with another, increasingly-exasperated "we're here to support you" email

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
lmao, at this point we should just fire everyone and start fresh

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just go full Stalin and purge the officer corps

not like we have any wars to fight

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

What a horrible article. I can't imagine being confined on a ship, being assaulted, and having literally nobody to go to, in the whole organisation. loving hell

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Low recruiting, bad retention, and purging everyone who did a sex crime?

Sounds like a big wave of upward mobility is coming on the O side

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Attire Irony posted:

Low recruiting, bad retention, and purging everyone who did a sex crime?

Sounds like a big wave of upward mobility is coming on the O side

I’m reminded of that scene in the Simpsons where all the admirals recuse themselves from Homer’s trial because they’ve been involved in scandals.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
So what do disgraced officers do once they leave the CAF - oh no

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nevermind, carry on.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 24, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Nevermind, carry on.

Yeah. Lotta that been goin on lately.

It's okay to have existential questions about the org we work for. Talk to EAP if it's really eating at you.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5995295

Just...the whole loving thing.

I hate how no one answered for this poo poo. How can we possibly say that the CAF can handle sexual misconduct internally.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It should be apparent that the entire thing needs to be nuked from orbit and rebuilt.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

who's ready for OP ONTARIO STRONG

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Internet VFW > The Canadian Forces: Her Majesty now under investigation for sexual misconduct

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
On Her Majesty's Secret Pervlist

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:hmmyes:

MA-Horus posted:

who's ready for OP ONTARIO STRONG

Persons deployed for 45+ days can expect a service medal depicting a tin crack pipe.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:five:

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Very fun playing six degrees of separation between me and the *seemingly weekly* outing of additional sexual assaulters in the CAF.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its okay, they'll just transfer to CIV.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 7, 2023

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

"We're going to hold this exercise to maintain operational readiness."

*gets COVID-19*

*entire unit no longer operationally ready*

CBC News posted:

Reid said the armed forces ran a vaccine clinic for Maple Resolve participants from April 26-29 and more than 1,700 doses were administered, which is about 90 per cent uptake. He said 150 members chose not to get the vaccine.
Oh my gently caress. We did MAPLE RESOLVE this year? Well...at least they got immunized.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Just change the rule" is a step up from "Just plow forward and tell the people who show up to enforce the rule to go away".

How many CAF members are getting covid, though?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Do civilians count?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

Released from the CAF due to sexual misconduct? Fret not, you can still mentor victims of sexual assault.

CBC News posted:

Some Canadian Armed Forces veterans and first responders who are sexual assault survivors said they were outraged to learn their peer mentor at a women's trauma retreat was himself a registered sex offender.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/project-trauma-support-sex-offender-peer-mentor-1.6020782

Not really the CAF's fault, but man what a gong show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Has your unit recently suffered an outbreak of Covid-19? One so severe the entire unit needs tested?

No worries, fellow soldier! The entire base will insanely step down so your unit can continue to run at 150%!

Your lives are a sacrifice the Wing Commander is willing to make.