Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007
OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Inf WO working with the Canadian Rangers out of Victoria. 18 years in. Any CRs on these boards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

Lassitude posted:

When I was on Op Nanook a while back I traded a pair of cadpat trousers for a ranger sweater. Does that make me an honorary ranger?

Not really, Canadian Rangers, believe it or not, for the most part take themselves pretty seriously. They are very proud of the unique role that they fill within the CF.

They see their red hoodies in the same light that the rest of us see our uniforms.

The status of "Canadian Ranger" is never confered readily or easily.

Now for the the GG. She can wear any uniform she wants. (and looks good in it too!)

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

Simkin posted:

Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

You'll enjoy CAP, but it will be a worlds of difference from what you did at St Jean. It will definitely have that "army" flavour, and prepare you for phase 3 and 4 Inf.

All I can say is stay fit, stay motivated, and try not to get hurt.

oh yeah, chin ups, chin ups, and more chin ups.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

Lassitude posted:

We got to shoot them when we were up there, and they're much more satisfying to use than a C7. They also do a number to ptarmigan and seal heads.

Quite true, there's a certain satisfaction you get from firing a proper battle rifle that other small arms just don't deliver.

Jungle lanes with a .303, good times.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

HippitusHoppitus posted:

I'm currently stuck as MARS but am looking to transfer over to Chaplain, are there any Chaplains on here. I would like a bit of advice about the process of switching over. I know that panel I have to present to is supposed to be pretty brutal.

This is a post I would never expect to see on SA much less a mil forum (I'm assuming you're serious). I'll guess you're RC from your CT. As far as I know, all CF Chaplains complete their divinity trg and ordination before they join the CF.

The chances that there's a Chaplain following these forums is nil.

From what I've heard, MARS is a horrible trade and youd be best moving on no matter what, may I recommend Infantry?

WOFOC fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 24, 2010

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

DefenseSupportParty posted:

I'm in the USAF right now, but there is a good chance I'll be moving to Canada in the next four years. Should I be interested in joining the military in your fine socialized nation, will I be able to retain my mediocre rank or some facsimile thereof?

I know of a a few that came over from France and the UK. They both retained their ranks of MWO and WO respectively. Mind you they were both infantry which isn't really the most technical of trades.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

Theres a difference. On course its acceptable to weed out people that would be detrimental to the military when the instructors can't get them off the course.

No its not.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

mdivi posted:

Anyone else doing the army run this weekend?

I did the 5k with some Canadian Rangers. Good times.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007

Simkin posted:

Anyone else going to be at CFSAC? We'll be the team there not wearing our sweet team baseball hats. :smith:

We're taking part in NSCC at the moment in Connaught - the range is ridiiiiiculously large. Today we ran the FIBUA matches, which included a rapid shoot at 25m - 3x3sec exposures, in which time you have to fire 10 shots on a fig 14 (hun's head). Watching the rangers do that with what amounts to a museum piece is awesome. Some of them even managed to get 9 out of 10 shots on target.

Also, falling plates matches are awesome. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just got here yesterday, brought a crew of Rangers in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007
Some cool pics of Canadian Rangers doing stuff.

http://clubthreeothree.blogspot.ca/

And some Mk 4 love:

http://youtu.be/Pep-Hfua8TI