Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I remember that hill from when I did my Driver Wheel course, people on loving foot can go faster. One of the amusing things for me after that was after weeks of driving nothing but the LS and ML's, I had to remember to not stomp on the gas of my car and especially not on the brakes.

I never did understand why the hell they made a vehicle that squeals when you touch the brakes, so much for being tactical at night when you're driving without lights. Nothing screams "Canadian Forces over here!" like an LSVW.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

HoboJ posted:

I'm curious here. This fall I enter a broadcast engineering program at a local college. What jobs in the Canadian forces are related to this program? Using the online tool is rather painful.

I'm not sure so here's a shot in the dark, maybe Communications?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Ugh..Meaford. How I LOATHED hearing that name when I get told where I'm going for a course, FTX (Up yours Petawawa Fire Index!), or for any reason whatsoever. The only saving grace is that everything there is in short walking distance and the food wasn't that bad.

I wish I had been on the Drivers course the year before I did mine, they had so many people they were super relaxed. Mine was dubbed 'Airborne Driver Wheel' for the amount of PT they had us do. And why the hell did they send people who didn't even have a full drivers license on the course? They're expected to be taught how to drive LS and MLs in a couple months when they can't even be trusted to drive their own cars without supervision?

Hmm..at least the weather was always usually nice when I was there. Guess the Weather Machine was down for maintenance, no waking up with snow on the ground and only summer kit on me.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

OH MY GOD

I think we were on the same loving course. Did you get a shirt at the end that said something among the lines of "KM driven=500, KM Ran=550"

This would have been summer 2003.

And yeah gently caress those cocksucking instructors for log PT, and 3 hours of rack when doing driving training. I fell asleep at the wheel more than once, after my instructor racked the gently caress out too. I think a few of those instructors got charged with reckless endangerment afterwards.

gently caress yeah, it was Summer 2003 I think and shirt. One of the guys got a large Canadian flag tattoo on his left arm I think. Remember when they had us do all those different types of push ups? And the one where they misjudged the steepness/angle of this hill we were going to go down and they radiod "Don't follow us..", because it looked like they were about to fall on their side? They also cracked the diesel tank causing it to leak on that one I think.

Which useless guy were you? I was one of the guys with a bad knee that couldn't run, the vibrations and jolts from the vehicles always made it really hard for me to walk afterwards for some reason.

I don't remember anyone falling asleep behind the wheel though or instructors charged with reckless endangerment, but that could just be a faulty memory.

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 29, 2010

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Congrats buddy. Did you put in any claims for health problems to squeeze out extra bucks? I did it for my knees, got a really nice cheque in the mail from VA.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Heh, yeah. My father was a Lt. Col in the Reg force, at one time he dropped off some of my papers to the recruiting office at the unit for me while he was in uniform, not to mention that of course all the officers there know of him. We also had the son, and then later, daughter of a General. Talk about expectations from a family like that...

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I knew a guy from my unit who took any chance he got to go to Gagetown for Class B's with Whiskey battery.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, but it's not the first time they've flipped like that. A number of years ago an the LS pulling the CP jackknifed going down one of the hill roads, the ML behind it was at the very top and starting to go down when the driver saw it and tried to stop but the wheels lost traction and started sliding too until he decided it was better to put it into the snowbank than ram the other vehicle. Nobody got hurt but it flipped the gun.

In this particular case that you're refering it was the Regiment I was in. I wasn't there, I had to pass on going on the exercise because of various stuff to deal with. The road was muddy where they were doing the turn and the gun fishtailed, yanking the ML off the road. Serious injuries as you mentioned, and one fatality.

It still feels like a fist around my heart to think of it, and constantly think I should've been there for my friends, possibly even have prevented it since I normally drove that particular gun and tractor.

It's kind of like not going on a trip you originally planed or arrived late for a flight, and then later learning that it crashed.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

drat, dude. I heard about that incident too, that was Pet, right? With 30FD? Basically after that happened it came down the line that we shouldn't be doing any stupid angles trying to get to positions...but of course, in Meaford, that's just not going to happen. The one I was talking about happened about 4 years ago, I was doing Ammo/Salvage and I was in line behind 25C, I guess the driver swerved to avoid a pot-hole, went onto an embankment and tipped. Lucky there were no really bad injuries, just concussions and cuts.

Yeah, 30FD in Pet.

Man, I can't remember most of the ex's been on, or if I was in that ex too and just forgot. Kind of funny how we work with high explosives, but the danger is really just being in the back of the truck when we're on the move.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Elgar posted:

I guess they don't have it in their LAVs? But you can have a heater in them that heats rations and your drinking water.

I think our trucks had those heaters too, there's a slot for them but they are never used because of something about bursting into flames..or something like that. Or so someone told me a while back about why we don't use them anymore.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I will use this to describe Wainwright until the end of time.

I know that in some Arty units there was incredible turn-over on SNCOs when Afghanistan started up. There was one battery where the dets had Bombers as the number 1, because the next available person was the loving BSM. They were always a real cockup in the field.

YOU DEPLOY BESIDE ANOTHER BATTERY NOT IN FRONT OR BEHIND YOU CANNOT FIRE OVER US YOU CUNTS.

Please tell me that was the one from Pet or Sault St. Marie, or even 7TOR and not the Dirty 30.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm betting it definitely was 7TOR, it sounds like something they'd do.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

That goes for any country.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Speaking of sandbags... Hey MA-Horus, remember the static cling sandbag protector from our Airborne Driver Wheel course?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Don't lean or sit on the gun either.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I assumed he meant on sentry watching the rifles of everyone else when they're inside eating/doing whatever. Although yeah, they still shouldn't have had the ability to pick one up. Who's to say they wouldn't have immediately run away with it?

I've lost count of how many people have asked me at Gun Salutes if we're going to be using actual ammunition at the event, or if we're shelling Quebec.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, especially after the carwash we used to go to closed down. :(

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

tuyop posted:

I don't even wear the underwear. I have twenty of them still in their plastic. And I hate this year's combat shirts. They're slightly bigger, so I got some smalls that look like they're painted on me. Love it.

I got the new raingear by acting like I'm a big deal because I have a super minor staff tasking at the infantry school. The pats are very jealous.

Seriously? I wish I had bought a ton of them with my points before leaving. Best underwear ever.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I did the CFSAC once, except I was on the support side in a Class B contract. best thing was that because it was in Ottawa, I got to go home every night and sleep there instead of the stinky humid tents that we had to assemble times infinity. At least this year the plumbing works and it won't have poo poo filled sitting in the blazing sun and high heat that was the year I was there.

I had a freaking sweet job, I basically spent my days sitting on my rear end playing Axis & Allies, riding a bike to collect the score cards, and if we had a ton of them helped input them into the computer to print out and put on the board.

I'm still loving pissed that when we all got the chance to fire the Brit guns our group couldn't because we had last minute scores to complete. They should've put us at the loving front of the line so we could have some fun instead of missing a once in a lifetime opportunity. Fuckers. :argh:

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 28, 2011

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Hell yeah I'd be down for that.

Wait a minute. Does that mean the Corn Flake is now an endangered badge? Thank god for that, nothing screams FNG than a cornflake.

Don't forget that without them what are we supposed to tape to the nose of an arty shell when you've graduated to the Big Boy badge during the confirmation Ex, followed by gleefully firing it downrange?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

I got the sarcasm, at least. I know that nobody in the CF does anything anything voluntarily

Don't you just love getting VolunTold to do something at random when you're pretending to be busy for the exact purpose of not getting volunteered?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Could be worse, many years ago when a couple of guys went way the gently caress up north on some arctic experience, someone from another unit apparently tried seal lard or whatever native food the people up there are super used to but heavily disagreed with his stomach. Apparently at one point he had to go so badly there was no way he'd make it to the shitter, he shouted to get everyone in the tent out and pooped into the lantern case. Which of course froze solid soon after.

I think it might've also been the same guy that at the end of the ex broke/clogged the toilet of some poor RCMP detachment, where the other nearest bathroom is 800m down the road and unable to dig up the ground pipes until the ground thaws.

Oh, and some officer that wanted to go out and have everyone do a PT run at some godforsaken temperature or weather until one of the Rangers assigned to them said he was an idiot, and that if he really wanted to go out he can. But they aren't going to go out and search for their frozen corpses until the weather cleared up.

I think MA-Horus might've heard about this stuff, so if you recall more feel free to fill in what I missed.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Hmm..I think I meant blubber instead of lard. But yeah, something like that was to him, but far worse.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

In Pet you were reasonably close to Ottawa. And there were at least a FEW things to do in Pet itself.

In Meaford, what'r you gonna do, go to Owen Sound? Barrie? No you go to Wasaga and get tattoos that are 3x overpriced but you don't care because you're drunk on poo poo beer.

Don't forget going to Smuggler's and drinking until the strippers are hot.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

And getting chits so that they can request Gucchi comfortable boots.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

And the guy said it would just buff right out.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I can't think of anyone who'd turn down free money.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

And there's the Reserves. Working one night a week, occasional weekends. The rest of the time in between that is all yours.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Oh god..box lunches. I could NEVER eat any of the sandwiches, and always had to force myself if there really was no other choice..although preferably on the beef one. I'd just trade them away for extra stuff from other people instead. I'd rather eat the loving Scalloped Potatoes and Ham IMP, and I loving HATE that IMP.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

The vibrating side mirrors haunt me... okay, not really but I couldn't see poo poo because of how much they were shaking when not moving if I needed to backup..and because of that terribly placed bar that divide the door windows.

Ps. Airborne Driver Wheel! (Only MA-Horus will get that one.)

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Cojac posted:

A lot of alcohol.

I remember snorting vodka or something up my nose one time after my driver wheel course.. I think MA-Horus was there too since he recalls the kind of course we had.. I think I still have that shirt somewhere in a forgotten drawer with the thermals, socks, and assorted green shirts.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I think we ran 403 Miles but I could be wrong. You'd think they'd have PT'd the previous course to death instead since they're the ones that had so many extra people and not enough vehicles that it was a cool paid vacation for them.

And yet, still not my worst experience at Meaford since I had to ride shotgun in an LS from Meaford to Petawawa with a broken heater blowing hot air into my crotch the entire way until I eventually shoved an empty Timmies cup into the hole. Well..that and carrying all my poo poo from Ottawa to Meaford and then back for the Driver Wheel course when I took the bus instead of a personal vehicle

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Found the shirt:

Ironman ML/LS
KM Driven: 561
KM Run: 563

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

How long until those nails dig into your heels?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Could've been Shilo.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I miss the good old Dirty 30. I wonder if I should drop in at the Jr's mess one Wednesday night when training is done, see who's still around.

Hell, are you guys still at Dow's Lake, or were you finally moved elsewhere?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

acumen posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Poor guy is just trying to share his tips and tricks :unsmith:

It's gone now.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

We almost had Barbados once too.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Sixerfixer posted:

Delayed response, but thank you. And actually I think I might have gotten than response from one of the junior officers.

So has anyone else here ever stayed in the shacks at Connaught? I just finished BMQ there and, uh, I think they got re-condemned after the fire alarm tripped by accident in the middle of the night. We all thought it was a drill until we realized the girls' hadn't come out of their shacks, and then our NCO came out and was just as pissed as we were.

I've been there, number of years ago early when I had joined and doing a Class B over the summer, went there to put up the tents and poo poo like that for CIVSAC (I think? Shooting competition at Connaught). We didn't stay there long before getting booted out for one of the tents so that the shooting teams could have the rooms, probably for the best. Personally I only slept in the room once or twice, I just went home at the end of the day and came back in the morning.

I think they condemn those barracks every few years, before opening up again. You're lucky though, that time was also back when there was a massive sewage problem so you couldn't use the toilets, they had blue rockets everywhere..hundreds of them baking in the blazing hot sun.

I'm STILL pissed that when everyone else got to play around with some of the British weapons at the range on the last day, I and a few others had to tally the last batch of scores. They should've put us at the front of the line to squeeze some rounds off before going to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Dark Decade 2: The Sequel. Except The government still trying to push through billions of dollars worth of jets where they won't work properly, and still have no replacement for Seakings, and other aging military equipment long past their prime. Jets!