Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i had the weirdest compulsion to check out joining the forces today. does canada want a reasonably fit homemaker with a college degree or are they just gonna tell me to gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

how willing to move is your family? depending on your trade, officers can get posted frequently

i don't think my partner would want to move. i was thinking of joining as a reservist anyway, and i was under the impression that they're more likely to stay posted locally because of the part-time nature of their work. is that correct? would that even be worthwhile? it sounds like i'd be a moron to not apply as an officer.

i've talked with friends about the possibility of seeing a recruiter and they were pretty cold on the idea. one of them has a brother who got his hearing hosed up during gun drills because of improper hearing protection and getting compensated for that was a nightmare. but the same thing happened to my mom while she was in the US army, so i kinda feel like the risk of injury kinda comes with the territory of joining up. though i'd much rather not go deaf or get otherwise crippled if i can help it! what's the safety culture like in the forces these days?