Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So, I'm hearing that once infantry opened up in April, it got full and is now again closed until April.
Can anyone confirm/deny/suggest somewhere to check so I can have this info as it develops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I'm definitely in a similar boat - I'm wrapping up a degree in advertising but not really in love with the field.
I've always been a bit too smart for my own good, but never as much a man of action as I'd like. For me infantry is essentially a test of mettle, to see if (or how proficiently) I can take on the PT and physical abilities.
out of my entire graduating advertising class, I think maybe three of us (from 50) could pass the BMQ physical entry reqs. Regardless of how smart I am, I'd feel like I'm wasting literally half my ability by careering in a field that for all intents and purposes is the antithesis of physical activity.

Plus a whole bunch of other reasons, blah blah blah.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Failing the grip component absolutely blows my mind.
The idea that you couldn't suspend 165lbs for even a second :psyduck:

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Just had my interview canceled due to Infantry Officer filling up for the year.
My interview was tomorrow. Yup.

Now I need to kill another year before I get to start being a jaded gently caress. Holla.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

Desi posted:

Coincidentally enough, I'm going to Trenton next week for Aircrew Selection!

23-27?
I'll be there, too. Small internet!

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

compressioncut posted:

Did you pass?

I didn't pass either, for a piss-poor goon showing.
Apparently I got the highest score they've ever seen on the aerospace control officer exam, though they hired a whopping one for fy 12-13.

Desi posted:

Hey man, shoot me a message when you get a chance. If you remember my first name, its just that @gmail.com.

I'll do what I can, your name isn't something I've seen on paper. Like ever.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Just had my 'NEW' format interview today for DEO Infantry and AEC.

Interesting process, to say the least. Actually, I probably can't say much more. So, Interesting process.

Anyone else had one yet?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
If you're a re-applicant, the interview will be a joke.
with regards to fresh DEO, it's not impossible, but, uh, improbable to score well on most of the questions.
The silver lining is that everyone in DEO faces the same hurdles, and the bonus silver lining for you is that the new interview gives you pretty much a perfect score for previous service.

Have you seen the infantry prospected openings? I haven't.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
From what I was told, a ton of trades have a selection 27 Feb.
Subject of course to nothing changing.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So it looks like I'm heading into my second consecutive year of "oh your medical expired time to re-do your medical" and then the results are processed juuuuuuusssstttttt in time to be two days after the one selection of the year where my trades hire. Oh life, you card.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
AEC is the only one that's left hiring for this year. Hoping I can bust rear end and get my bloodwork back in time that I can at least have hope.
Adding ACSO in the near future and it's sort of amusing to hear the RC staff mention the 70% fail rate like 6 times in one conversation.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Has anyone ever gotten a letter from the RMO during recruitment that hasn't been bad news?
After almost 70 business days in Ottawa they're sending my file back to my local RC and a letter to me.
Why am I getting the feeling that this is the beginning of some four year process to prove that my dust allergies aren't fatal?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Just got my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE as my first purchase with points. CF livin'.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Got an IC for having garbage bags in my garbage can. God bless peacetime army.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Anyone have any specific knowlege of dress regs w/r/t cap badges?

Short story is that the CoC is telling us we have to go back to cornflakes all of a sudden.

I've been looking through the dress regs but the actual PDF is ambiguous. Does anybody have any experience in this area?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
That was the ambiguity i meant, yeah.
There's another mention of cap badges later;
(3-4-3)

7. Members of branches other than combat arms
shall receive branch badges in accordance with the
procedures established by individual Branch Advisers.

We're a bunch of Air Force 2lts.
They don't really like us here, they tell us we're all arrogant babies. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just gently caress gently caress games.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
We're all on course, not even a trade related one at that, sounds like we need to get new berets for our last 6 weeks here.
God bless peacetime army.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

What's the deal with AECs? Other than knowing you could become a traffic controller with NAVCANADA and make double the pay for half the work.

It’s only 3 years oblig service too, for now. Trade is always hemorrhaging folks leaving for double the pay and half the work
The odd duck is the weapons stream (vice IFR or VFR) aka the DEO trap. Career path features staying in for a pension or getting out with minimal relevant skills and possibly not even the ability to tell cool stories of the poo poo you did

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I’ve never understood the desire to be great at drill. It’s not like crushing it even gets you out of poo poo jobs since drill usually IS the poo poo job.
I mean, drill is basically institutional choreography so it’s fun to see people join to ‘close with and destroy the enemy’ and then get really pumped for a dance recital

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have a story of a grievance being resolved at the IA level? Or is that still firmly in ‘circle the wagons’ territory?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
All flying in Moose Jaw suspended until 6 April

Sounds to me like a pilot tested positive! (This is based on no facts)

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I have to hope that ‘anomalies’ means that the seats fired with a delay, otherwise the only ‘anomaly’ would be operating the seat outside of safe parameters. removed due to poor reading comprehension on my end

I know some folks who flew the tutors back in the day and their sentiment for engine failure on takeoff was always ‘get alitutude and get the gently caress out immediately’- tutor E-seats are very unforgiving in a low-energy environment

If the (Kamloops) seats came out of the plane promptly when the eject was called, I definitely would not want to answer many of the questions that pilot is going to be asked.

Attire Irony fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 21, 2020

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

To be fair everything up to the zero-zero seat has been very unforgiving in a low-energy environment.

I wonder how, psychologically, it impacts the snowbird guys to go to a worse seat- since Many fly in 0/0 seats for a long part of their career up until they get the fancy jumpsuit.

As an armchair quarterback, I count an uncomfortable amount of steamboats from the point where I would expect the ejection until the seats come out. I’m super curious how this is all this is going to shake down.

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So, I got cease trained a few years back, and now some (hopefully) ambitious clerk is telling me that I am no longer entitled to my previous pay rate AND have to pay back all of the pay increments I received while in that trade.
Is this real life?

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

stevobob posted:

That is heinous

It was fun enough to get kicked out of a trade over standards playing the “you did it right but if 9 variables had been different there may have been an issue” game,
But to pay $15k for the privilege? :canada:

Insult to injury is that I’m top of my course in the next trade, and because of this I can’t afford to take a posting to Trenton. :feelsgood:

In unrelated news I’m gonna open a consulting firm to do a study on why retention is so low

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I my little corner of the forces, covid hasn’t helped retention much. They’ve been campaigning pretty hard for folks to come back, but that’s for a 5 year contract or nothing. Unsurprisingly, it’s been mostly nothing.

I’ve heard in the winds that between FY 20/21 and FY 21/22 they’re projecting to lose an entire year’s worth of intake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
Low recruiting, bad retention, and purging everyone who did a sex crime?

Sounds like a big wave of upward mobility is coming on the O side