Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I applied to join the Army 4 months ago, then the day before my interview at the recruitment center, my trade(Combat Engineer) closes. So now I`m in a bit of a limbo where I have to wait until at least April before getting to actually swear in. I have been merit listed, so that`s good, but I didn`t anticipate having to wait so long.

Can anyone tell me anything about Combat Engineer as a trade or what to expect at BMQ (St.Jean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Fraser CDN posted:

4 months isnt that long. The military lost my medical documents (which stopped my recruitment) for 4 months. What to expect at St. Jean, please read above there is some information that could be helpful. Also go on you tube and check out Basic up and Basic up Reloaded. Either go to the Canadian army site or you tube that.

Well, it will be at least 8 months before I can even (in theory)swear in. I've seen basic up, but I'll definitely check out reloaded (new season or something?).

If any Combat Engineers can weigh in on whether or not I've made a horrible decision I'd appreciate that.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Cojac posted:

Another person stuck in limbo until April checking in. Could anyone give me an example of what an average day is like for a combat engineer? I wanted to go in the infantry but I've heard that it's going to be closed for the foreseeable future.

Doesn`t it just suck?

And that's weird, my CFRC told me that Infantry was re-opening in April as well.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

Anyone know just how long infantry recruitment is going to be open in April? Or just that it is?

As far as I understand, what happens is that each year each trade has a quota of the maximum amount of people they can recruit into each trade every year. When that quota is reached, the trade closes until the next recruitment period starts. Some trades are "high demand" at certain points in the year because no new blood is signing up for that trade.

So if you want to be in Infantry, I would suggest applying ASAP, since it filled up fairly quickly last year. The recruitment process is a huge pain in the rear end and in all likelyhood the recruitment centre will lose you medical/forget to send it out/accidentally use your application as doodling paper and delay the process by months. If you are merit listed(done applying) for infantry right now you will probably get a job offer in April, since you are first in line for the position.

If you really want to join up and don't care what trade you go into, just be a SigOp. Apparently they always need people and the rate of advancement through the ranks is pretty quick if you don't have poo poo for brains.

(Keep in mind I'm not actually in the forces and just basing this off what my career counselor/buddy who is a Sig told me.

Fraser CDN, do you post on army.ca?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Same,I ran 13km within 4 months of starting basic. I dropped about 40 pounds in basic/ battle school.

If you want to join up just run a lot and go on long walks. Once the walks get easier get a backpack and put some weight in it. Also make sure you do push ups. A lot of people fail their push ups and get sent home in basic.

Currently I'm putting in 6 - 7 km a day on my treadmill, running 4:30 minutes/kilometer, and I'd like to think I'm in decent shape. Having said that, what are the runs like in basic? Should I start upping my distances to get ready for basic or will I be fine just running middle distances like that?

Also, how many push ups should you be able to do? I can do around 30 full nose touching the ground push ups, should I really start working on that or what?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Your distance is fine. The furthest run in basic was a 6km. The only problem is its a treadmill. Either run outside or put the incline up. The runs in basic are easy, you run a km do some push ups or other workouts, then run some more. With push ups it depends who does the test for you. I did 40 push ups and only got credited for 30. If you can do 30 proper ones you will be fine. Just keep upping your distances and reps because the more work you do now the easier it will be then.

Yeah I normally run outside when it's warmer out, I did the Rattle Me Bones 10k last spring, and the ING 10k last summer. Winter is just my lazy period since I don't play any winter sports/I'm too much of a sissy to run outside. My 10k time is around 45 - 50 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Man, I'm really surprised that the runs are so short in basic. I guess the main challenge is the ruck-marches?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I finally got my job offer today. 4 years, Combat Engineer. BMQ starts June 10th.

Total time from Application to Offer was around 8 months.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

dancin pete posted:

Finally back from the 2 months of fun in the sun in Fort Irwin. Other than the day in Vegas it sucked balls.

I've been at 2CER for almost 7 years now, so if you have any questions about Combat Engineers I'd be happy to answer them.

I actually do have some questions I'd like to ask, but I don't have PMs or anything like that. My email is [edited out], if you could send me an email I'd like to pick your brain a little.

edit: Thanks, I got your email. I'll send you a message when I have a minute.

Samu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 2, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Benedict IX posted:

As far as recruiters have told me, yes. I'd suggest filling out the forms pronto, since everyone and their dog seems intent on joining the infantry in April (myself included).

There better not be like 3 slots available for the entire country...

There might be 0 slots for the entire country. My recruiter told me that they were 1600 people over their quota last year before the trade even closed.

Why the hell does everyone want to be infantry anyways?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

So after we withdraw troops from Afghanistan, what's next for the Canadian Army? Are we going back to U.N Peacekeeping or something similar?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

More wonderful fun on the journey to enlisting: I got told by a recruiter today that the only space left in any of the combat trades is in a French unit.

So, anyone know anything about Signals Operators? Is it just being a general radio tech like is sounds, or something else?

My friend is a SigOp and he hates it. Apparently they are really undermanned and never get any days off since officers/everyone always needs their comms. He also is pissed off that he only gets to practice shooting like once every 3 months.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

surivdaoreht posted:

I went in today and dropped off my completed application for the Canadian Forces, applying for an AVN TECH position. I'm 5 weeks from completing my two year college program for aircraft maintenance. I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

My aptitude test is booked for the 6th of May, I'm wondering how I can best prepare myself so I ace it. I don't really know what to expect since the recruiter I spoke to said the example test is a fair bit easier than the actual test.

My other question is something I've been pondering for a little while now. I used to do some drugs when I was younger and stupid. I dabbled in ecstasy and cocaine, and a whole lot of marijuana. I haven't smoke pot in over a year, maybe even a year and a half or more. I haven't touched ecstasy or cocaine in well over two years. My question is this; Should I tell the truth or should I just tell them I don't and haven't done drugs? I'm not sure what difference it'll make to them if I admit to doing it in the past. I have an acquaintance who happens to be in the military and said if I haven't done it in that amount of time and it's permanently behind me, to just tell I've never done it (that's what he did).

I'm not really sure what to do, what do you think?
Don't you have to tell them all the drugs you've done, when you started/ended doing them and the total amount of times you've done them. Even with things like Alcohol and caffeine.

I remember on mine I wrote that I smoked a lot of pot and high school and did shrooms once and they said it didn't matter as long as I no longer did them.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Nephirim posted:

Yeah the recruiters aren't looking for saints, everyone's done drugs at some point now, be honest and as long as you aren't using now and it wouldn't come up in a test you should be good to go.

I told them about using E and things like that when I first joined i've been in for 8 years now.

An the aptitude test is sinfully easy.

And it makes it so that everyone takes it is all like "The guy afterwards told me I scored very highly, but couldn't give me my score. :smug: "

I know a guy who's like 5'11/300 pounds/not athletic at all, and is joining the Air Force as an air traffic controller. Don't people like that (assuming they pass the fitness test at the beginning of basic) just hold everyone back at BMQ? I mean, poo poo, I've been training pretty intensely for the last couple of months to get ready for my Basic in the summer and I'm still worried about being able to do all the PT on top of everything else. This dude acts like since he meets the laughably low minimum fitness standards he'll be able to breeze by any of the physical parts and then sit on a chair telling airplanes what to do.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The application process takes a long time. I'm going on 8 months and I just got my BMQ course date 3 weeks ago. Just heal up, make sure you get proper shoes and get ready to wait.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The one thing I've heard about infantry from every CF member I've spoken to is that they are assholes no one like and that they have to do a lot of PT.

Why does everyone hate on infantry so much?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

acumen posted:

From what I've seen most of the people who join the infantry do so not for a job but for combat, be it to see what they were made of, to shoot people, or to experience things they've seen, read, and heard about for a long time since it's so glorified.

Don't take this the wrong way but most people don't want to "join the army" to sit behind a desk or to be a mechanic.

Yeah I'll admit I'm probably a bit guilty of this myself. I was in university and I dropped out after first semester because I was realizing I didn't want to go to school for four years, keep smoking pot, drinking, and being useless only to wind up in some boring job somewhere and then do that for the rest of my life. I joined the military because I believe in serving my country and I want to set my life on the right track. I joined Combat Arms because I want to do something exciting. I'm not looking to learn a civilian trade and I plan on going back to school after my enlistment is up, but right now I'm young and I want what the military is offering.

I'm definitely being a bit idealistic and I know that being in the army isn't going to be all Rambo all the time, hell there's no real glamour in it, but where else do they pay you to (occasionally) fire automatic weapons, disarm mines, learn to build stuff and exercise. If I joined the army and wound up sitting behind a desk I'd shoot myself, because I'm not looking for a career. I might decide to stay in after my enlistment, but hell, I haven't even gone to basic yet. Could turn out that I can't take the garrison bullshit and I spend the next 4 years hating life.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Elgar posted:

Unless I'm mistaken that contract is just a guarantee of employment and you can release at any time.

Yeah I'm almost positive thats exactly what it is.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fire Above posted:

It was awesome going to Camp Mirage, sitting down in the kitchen there and seeing all the humongous canadian air force people next to the Australian and kiwis who were all mostly fit. Apparently the Germans up in Kabul are the fattest in NATO but I'm sure we rank up there too.

Our entrance PT standards are really just laughable. I mean, 19 pushups? Really? Come on, anybody could do that with at most a months worth of training, no matter how much of a fatty they are. The 6.5 or whatever it is on the beep test is also insanely low.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

You would be surprised. Ive seen people fail their final PT test in basic. My pod mate failed the grip by 1 pound. Also one of the females failed the push ups.

What are the standards for the final PT test in Basic? Please don't me they're the same as the entrance PT standards, because that really makes me fear for my country's safety. :canada:

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/05/18/a-soldiers-choice/

Anybody else read this? An infantry Captain is being tried for second degree murder after allegedly mercy killing a dying Taliban while out mentoring some ANA soldiers. He faces a minimum of life in jail with possibility of parole after 10.

It seems pretty clear that he did it, and it is a violation of the Geneva convention, but I can't honestly say I wouldn't have done the same thing in his position. The ANA were going to leave this guy behind instead of trying to administer aid, and the Canadians couldn't stop to medevac the dying man so the Captains options seemed to be leave the poor guy to suffer or put him out of his misery.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Anybody got any useful financial advice for when I start basic? I'm a dumb kid right out of high school and I have no idea what to do with the money I'll be making since prior to this I've lived at home and drank/clubbed away my lovely grocery store paychecks. I want to avoid making common mistakes that young junior enlisted make, and I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom.

I want to set money aside to go back to University when I'm done my enlistment, so I want to save up a good chunk of change that I can use 4 years from now. I don't have a car but I'll probably have to get one once I finish training. What's the smartest way to put money away/get a vehicle?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Don't buy a car is #1. Don't lend out money ( I was the one in basic with money, and I got burned twice).Have fun but do it within limitations. Don't be that guy who cant keep a pay because he drank it off on Friday night and then spend the rest on strippers on Saturday. If you really want to make money, take people weekend fire picket/ course Sr. I got offered $200 for a Saturday course senior ( I was 17 and couldn't drink, It didn't stop me...). This will help you save money and make money.

After spending $400 on lap dances when I turned 19, I vowed never to spend money at a strip club again (besides cover/drinks). Is it really that easy to blow your checks in Montreal?

I'm not planning to get a car until I finish all my training and get put in my unit, so that's fairly far down the road. I guess I'll just cross that road when I come to it.

Oh, and my buddy told me that since my basic is in July I'll get 2 weeks of summer leave right in the middle of my course. Is that right?

Oh and if anyone has any general advice for regular force basic at St.Jean I'd appreciate it.

Samu fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 26, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

hahah. No you don't get summer leave during basic ( I did July - Oct basic). Its good you don't plan on buying a car till the end of your training, ive seen guys buy one and have no money because they spend it on a car they cant afford. What other "facts" has this buddy told you?

Talking about basic ive heard they have redone the weeks. My friend said the weeks were something like week 2 you get your weapons, week 5 you shoot, week 7 is gas, week 10 is some big test. He also got his electronics for good at week 5.

Yeah, I didn't believe him about the leave. That would just be stupid. He's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

And yeah I figure once I wind up in my unit in Pet, Edmonton or wherever I'll get a vehicle. I'm not gonna buy a charger or something stupid like that. I'll probably wind up buying a used late 90's Silverado or F150 and beat the poo poo out of it.

I don't think they've changed basic, or if they have they haven't updated the St.Jean website to reflect the change.

[edit, actually you're right, you do weapons in week 2. theres a day by day schedule here if anyone is curious: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/es-wt/index-eng.asp

Samu fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 26, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

What I think is the craziest thing about BMQ is that you get off at 5 on Fridays to gently caress off to Montreal. That is going to own so hard.

But yeah, some of that stuff is seriously a joke. 15 minutes of PT? 6k ruckmarch? 5k runs? I though basic was supposed to be hard...

OK so tell me if this is right: I'll do my BMQ at St.Jean, then ship out to Gagetown for SQ/Driver Course, then I'll be a "personnel awaiting training" until combat engineer school in Gagetown. After that's finished I'll go to either Gagetown, Edmonton, or Petawawa to join a regular unit.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Ruse posted:

Thats if they dont send you to Borden for BMQ. They do that sometimes during the summer.

Also, you will not get a dive course after SQ. Especially Combat diver, there are only a hand full of those guys and they dont just take anyone. You can only hope to apply for dive course AFTER your QL3, maybe not even until QL4.

I already have my course date/location for Basic, and it's at St.Jean in July.

I was thinking of trying to get on the combat diver course, but I figured that course would be available after I finish my MOC school. What's QL3/QL4?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Pray to get posted to Borden. By far, one of the best bases in the CF.

I'd rather go to St.Jean, it's closer to home and right next to Montreal.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

surivdaoreht posted:

I posted a little ways back in this thread when I was approaching my CFAT date. That day has come and gone, did as good as I had to do to qualify for my trade (not sure what my grade was, or even how many things I qualified for).

I'm joining for AVN TECH 00135, and I've just completed my two year college course for Aviation Technician. I just had my medical this morning, and the Doc said everything is good to go and now they just have to wait for the paperwork to go through to Ottawa and come back. Apparently this can take anywhere from two to four weeks.

My interview is approaching quickly (roughly a week from now), can't wait. I'm intending on wearing; dress pants, dress shirt, dress shoes, no tie. That should be fine, I think? Any tips for the interview itself? I think I'll do fine, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Couple more things;

Because I've completed college and I'll be joining as semi-skilled (should I be accepted), is there any sort of signing bonus? It's not a make or break issue for me, I'm just curious.

And the other; On the way back from moving back from residence, I stopped in at my job from last summer and got my position back starting Monday. I let my boss know about the military stuff that's going on and he's cool with it. My question is; Once I have my interview and they have all the supporting information that they need, if they choose to offer me entry to the forces, are they going to want me to quit my job and work for them immediately until basic? Or how does that work? I only ask because I've gathered from a close friend, who also just finished the program (already in the service) that he won't be doing basic until the 28th of August.

I'm just trying to get a feel of how fast the process is going to be moving from this point, thanks guys.

Well it's probably different for everybody, but I had my interview last summer and it took me 5 months to get a job offer. As regarding the CFAT, acing that is pretty much the intellectual equivalent of putting your pants on correctly.

For the interview I wore dress pants, collared shirt and a tie. The interview is just like any job interview, don't stress out about it. Just make sure that you can give some examples from your past of you working in a team, why you decided to join the forces ect. As long as you don't do anything crazy you'll get merit listed and have to wait for someone to call you with a job offer.

Is your friend in the reserves or regular force? I don't think you can be in a unit without going through basic, but i really don't know.

Good luck.

^I'm pretty sure that reg force combat arms view reservists as weekend warriors. As a civillian waiting to go combat arms I can tell you that all the reservist Combat Engineers/Infanteers I've met at school or whatever have been huge douchebags who overstate their service to try to pick up girls/impress people.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

How does it work when reservists deploy? Do they have to do additional training outside of the normal pre-deployment training? Wouldn't a regular force combat arms guy be super pissed off to have a guy with half the training he has watching his back? I mean it seems to me like I wouldn't want someone watching my back if I didn't absolutely trust that he knew his poo poo/was a professional soldier.

Sorry if this is a stupid civvy question.

Samu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 29, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Lt. Jebus posted:

Although, Shads do have the best looking women of any branch of the CF. So... There is that.

And I don't just mean "Military-cute" either. Some ligit hotties there.

One of the girls I'm doing basic with is really hot and lives in my city.

I take it banging her on a weekend off is a no-no?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Most people that I know in the Forces like their trade, but hate the random garrison/chain of command bullshit. All SigOps that I know hate their job, the people they work with and the garrison/chain of command bullshit.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I have my BMQ in around 2 weeks and so far the only real "training" I've been doing is making sure my liver is ready for the weekends in Montreal.

I'm an idiot :(

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I run an 11 beep test and can run run the 6k from the bus station to my house hammered drunk in under 30 minutes.

Ladies?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Don't say "Huh... Aren't you a little old to be a captain?".

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Signed my contract today, and had my enrollment ceremony. There were like 10 people with me going over all the paperwork you have to bring to BMQ wit some corporal. One dude decided he didn't want to sign a 4 year contract and walked out.

Also, i think I should have joined the navy. The navy girls look really good in their uniforms. Cadpat just doesn't compare.

I leave for St.Jean in 4 days :D

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Yea Navy chicks look hot. Also don't worry, everyone is nervous and WTF am I doing for the first few days. Just remember what you want in the end and you will be fine. Make sure you know your SA account info so when you get time off you can go to the Bistro ( bar on base) and update us. Dam, I cant believe I left for basic 2 years ago this week.

edit: I think your from the Ottawa area right? If Im correct my buddy got that Navy recruiter chicks number :D

If we're thinking of the same navy recruiter chick that dude deserves high fives from now until the end of time. If she had been there when I first went to the CFRC I would have had a hard time saying I didn't want to join the Navy.

I'm nervous to actually start basic but more excited than anything. Just spent the last few days fishing and today and tomorrow I'm gonna have to hustle to get my stuff together.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack is to just do my best. I'm almost definitely not going to be the best in my platoon or whatever, but I'm not going to not give my all because I'm afraid of standing out. I'm not going to ask stupid questions or stick out by being an rear end in a top hat. I want to carry my own load and lend a hand to whoever needs it when I can. I have good common sense and I'd like to think I'm good with people.

And I am going to gently caress some of the girls I'm going to basic with. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion at this point, but I'd never do it if it jeopardized my career because gently caress that, this is what I want to do with my life.

Really thanks for the advice guys. I'll update you all as soon as I get access to the internet.

Now my buddies are taking me out drinking one last time before I go. Peace out goons.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

Or that means that all the people learn your name so when some staff for a different section gets told to pick 2 guys to go clean poo poo, guess what? The guy who's name people know gets picked.

Be the gray man, and you will always take the least poo poo.

Note: Being the gray man doesnt mean not being buddies with people, just staying off the staff's radar, and volunteering always gets you on the radar.

If you wanna stand out positively, do it by outperforming people on tasks that are given to you, don't just volunteer for random poo poo.

Where does everyone get the idea that I'm going to volunteering for poo poo left and right? Try my hardest only means I'm going to rock the poo poo out of anything I have to do. Y'all are just putting words in my mouth.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Guys, I just got off indoc period and I'm home for the first time in a while. All I can say is holy gently caress I made the right career choice. I love this poo poo. My instructors are awesome, PT is awesome,hell i even like inspections. Monday is our range day. Our platoon started off at 72 and is now down to 50 by week 5. 10 got sent to fat camp, a couple got hurt, 8 VRs in weeks 1 and 2 and one guy got PRB'd for having 7 counsellings 5 days after they started counting them.

We have one master seaman who is hard as gently caress and just awesome. He's my section commander, but he's leaving this weekend to go do work up training for deployment with his CP unit. Before he left he shoved me into the locker and reminded me not to "do the blow off the stripper rear end". I'm gonna miss that dude. Our platoon commander is hilarious, and most of our staff kick all kinds of rear end.

My platoon was completely poo poo the first 3 weeks. We couldn't make timings, we didn't hustle, and people kept loving up (I got 8 counsellings, 4 of them being course senior/fire team partner gently caress ups) but this week we really came together and we're rocking this poo poo. We still have a bunch of shitpumps but they'll either get their poo poo together or get recoursed.

I've got the shack hack pretty bad, so I go to the MIR and they give me decongestant, throat medication and... a bottle of codeine. Let's just say drill was a bit hard to follow the next day.

Does anyone have any info on EOD? For some strange reason I want to get on the EOD course when I'm a senior sapper or corporal. I know it's faaar down the road, but I'm curious about it.

Oh, yeah, I forgot. gently caress powerpoint presentations. Holy loving poo poo, it's like they are specially designed to put you to sleep. ALmost everyday I sit there and my eyes start criss-crossing and I can barely keep myself from sleeping. Also, gently caress the MIR, gently caress bedrest and gently caress restrictions. We had a good guy get bounced back a week because theMIR gave his stupid restrictions for 5 days. gently caress idiots who talk in ranks and gently caress our sister platoon.

Samu fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 14, 2010

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

I was coughing up blood so my section senior told our section commander who made me go to the MIR. Trust me I didn't want to go. I wound up avoiding bedrest and only missing one PT class and nothing else since we went to the Canex/haircuts that morning, so it was worth it. I did the morning PT and inspection, then reported to the MIR and got back without missing anything.

And whatever man, I like my job so far and it's what I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm not doing this for the 600$ paycheck after 14 consecutive 12 - 16 hour days. I'd make more working full time labouring or some poo poo. Maybe I'll get bitter when I'm at where you're at, but for now I'm gonna have my fun and let everything soak in. I know not everything is great and there's lots of horror stories about the CF but I'm loving my job so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

St.Jean, and my hourly rate of pay is $2.41 :(