Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

acumen posted:

Seriously, I respect engineers more than other infantry. Those guys have one of the hardest jobs in the combat arms.

Guess it depends where you get posted and what you do while you're there. As far as garrison duty goes most of the engineers I know have the lamest jobs ever (think environmental/conservation related stuff, plumbing/electrical on 60 year old infrastructure) and get to do cool things (ie: blow poo poo up) by exception. Deployments are a different bag of turnips obviously.

EDIT: Or maybe I just know really boring engineers?

quote:

stuff about IMPs
On the IMP note, when I did SERE my instructors accidentally grabbed a box of lunch instead of breakfast, so on the days we did eat there were twice as many chocolate bars floating around and none of those gross-rear end breakfast chili omelettes. Score!

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here ever go through the HUMINT/Source Handling selection etc etc

Only marginally related, but I knew a guy who applied for the position. I was on TD when he was supposed to be doing the selection thing so I'm not sure what happened, but when I got back he was still at our unit and would only answer evasively when asked about what happened. :iiam:

scaper exile posted:

I might go out of my way to watch this movie just for that reason. I mean they will show Mr. Russel Williams as a monster obviously. I am really curious how they will portray us. On a side note from what I saw of the clip it looked like they did get their hands on real uniforms or at least had a decent costume budget.

One day at the commissary on a US base someone approached me and (correctly) asked if I was Canadian. I thought he was some military aficionado/savant given the local area, but it turns out he just recognized the uniform from Officer and a Murderer. Oh well :v:

ub posted:

Don't join the navy, bro.

Always relevant.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

scaper exile posted:

separate meals for vegans

I've known a few people who opted for vegetarian meals because they're allegedly fresher and healthier.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I've only ever met one person who refused to drink and he ate halal meals anyway.

I was never a drinker until one particularly wild promotion party. Now I have a beer fridge in the garage. It just takes time for some people :)

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My favorite part of that new PT video was the freeze frame once it loaded. Nothing screams 'universality of service' like that figure on the far left.

Also, what happened in Edmonton? I have a couple combat arm type friends I might be able to shake down for info.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm surprised the headline didn't draw attention (read: exploit) the fact that he military for an extra view pageviews.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

RMS Clerk is full?

Oh my god. We have reached peak REMF.

Not just that, but some trades might be bringing back promotion boards for the lieutenant-to-captain jump!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

Everyone's trying to get out before 1990's Round Two: Yeah It Really Can Get Worse

I got in 9 years ago during the crest of the post-darkness boom. I should have enough time left to live through Darkness II: Electric Boogaloo and see the years of plenty in 202x, but not sure I want to bet the farm on it quite yet.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There was an article on G&M a year or so ago when the story broke and they interviewed his wife. She makes him sound like a goon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/accused-spy-jeffrey-delisle-led-second-life-online/article4097146/

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Simkin posted:

That's fantastic. I'd imagine they'll have to cut their rate by about 99% when the newer, shittier easier to pass for a bunch of loving wogs test comes in.

Shame too. Now that PT exempt won't give me those extra points at the boards I'm gonna have to go out and earn it somehow :(

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Freeze posted:

It's been working since they updated the filter a few months ago. The forums are unblocked, but YouTube is now completely blocked, among other things.

I was on duty one weekend when someone noticed they could watch youtube videos. Since we sure as hell weren't working it didn't take long to start testing our limits and figure out that there was next to no filter in effect. I vaguely recall a large part of that afternoon being spent streaming movies from some Chinese server and never having it catch up to us.

Frog 1.0 posted:

In 2004 even if you answered you want to shoot guns for a living they would just hire you because they needed so many people. But right now, they are weeding out the idiots which is a good thing because quite frankly there is a lot of rear end in a top hat who would be jobless if it was not from the CF.

I did my interview in 2003 and it lasted about 4 hours which I now understand to be pretty non-standard. :iiam:

tuyop posted:

Hey, the forums work on the DWAN now!

Is it possible to have negative productivity?

No poo poo? It's probably another way to save money by having people identify themselves for elimination rather than having to actively search out those unfit for service types:v:. The first year of my career was one website after another being added to the filter list after I visited it so I eventually stopped going to anything other than news sites or wikipedia.

Speaking of ways to get booted, anybody try the new PT test now? I was supposed to do it last week but started leaking all sorts of unpleasant fluids and had to take like a week of sick leave.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 6, 2013

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I remember an article by some city newspaper about how the new PT test was a nefarious scheme by the Tories to surreptitiously reduce budgets by raising fitness standards under the guise of improvement so that thousands of individuals would fail, be labeled unfit for service and then forced out causing massive savings since you don't have to pay those salaries anymore.

It made me laugh O L.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

No lie, I saw a MCpl get pulled off of t-cat, promoted and posted only to go right back on category again because we wanted to be loving rid of her. It was worth it.

Can't help but assume this happened in the air force.

Also I thought we were the Canadian Armed Forces now shouldn't we change the title?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not that I was around then, but was it not CAF from unification up until the budget cuts of the mid-90s?

EDIT: And I guess my sarcasm emitter is faulty because I personally don't care about the title and assumed most others don't either. This was my way of kickstarting some edgy conversation. Oh well!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 9, 2013

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

What the hell is going on with the recruiting center in North Bay? I've been trying to contact them for over a week now to figure out whats going on with my application, but nobody there ever picks up the phone. I even called my local recruiting office but they said that all my files were in North Bay, and there is no other phone-number that could be used to contact them.

I knew the last OIC of that place and if I remember right, the person replacing them is also somebody I know. If you really want sent me a PM and I can try to do some digging around for you. No promises etc but I'm from the internet and I'm here to help.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Never even knew that was a trade but if that's your thing go ham.

More and more navs are being replaced by microchips (admittedly platform dependent) so I'd recommend against it. They are admittedly a trade mafia because because of their size and clout at least, if you don't mind being part of the problem :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I got the xtreme activity brief last year and asked if we were barred from doing them. As the answer was 'no', I went along on my merry way and didn't let some higher-level CYA rip me apart from my gainz.

Fakedit:

CumshotCommando posted:

...CANFORGEN that came out earlier this year stating that Crossfit as it causes...

That crossfit what? THAT IT WHAT??!?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Could be but I'm chair force so nobody does PT anyways gently caress gently caress the police :siren:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Science posted:

Quick question about joining reserves: are you suppose to call them up and go "hay where da jobs at? :v:"? It seems so . . . decentralized?

When I did it (a decade ago), yes. My application to the reserves was all handled through the local regiment. It was much less involved than the concurrent active duty application I also submitted.

Ended up getting the full time contract first and shipped out soon after, so I never found out what happened to my application.

EDIT:

MA-Horus posted:

You will never want a BHP after using the ones in the Forces. They are bad.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 17, 2013

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

I hate them. They are bad pistols. That magazine safety is the most idiotic thing ever and it leads to people sticking their fingers up the mag well to try and trip it.

Stupid stupid stupid.

GOC conspiracy to line the coffers with gold from money obtained by ND charge parades.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I haven't seen brown boots in over a year, they were all recalled or fell apart and exchanged.

I think I've seen the high visibility name tape and rank slip-ons though. I wonder how they feel about having to make new ones when all the officer insignia changes.

I was leery at first but after wearing them in a hot climate for a year I'm a fan of the brown boots now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Last I heard about the new uniforms is that army guys (and attached etc) get priority, everybody else will use what's left in the system until they reach their end of life cycle.

Looks like air force bros will have to wait a few more years to floss their cool patches on the velcro sleeves now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Frog 1.0 posted:

They need to make use cool looking patches to put on garisson like the américains or aussies. Those squares of velcros on the sleeve juste look stupid without anything on it.

I work in a USAF unit and my patch is kind of lame to be honest. But it's still pretty cool by Canadian Standards.

Edit: the callsigns are also way less lame.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 8, 2013

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's easy to explain the current officer rank systems in terms of pasta, not entirely looking forward to explaining pips and crowns.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mdivi posted:

It's usually the people around the big G that would jack you up, was he alone?

One time I saw a major general all by his lonesome jack up somebody because that somebody (not me) did not salute him. Though to be fair, the old-rear end CADPAT epaulettes were kinda hard to pick out until it was already too late.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

scaper exile posted:

I once forgot to salute the CDS and nothing came of it.

Which one was it? Some were cooler than others (and I think I still have a picture of general Hillier giving somebody a headlock in mess dress to prove it).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FORCE test seems like it's a step in the right direction, but still needs a year or two to get the standards nailed down. The only people I've seen fail it are petite but otherwise fit ladies who have trouble dragging almost three times their bodyweight. Maybe it's a play by the fat male NCO/FGO mafia as revenge for years of objectively easy female standards? :ironicat:

I'm just glad I was able to meet male under 30 exemption standards at least once before they went away at any rate.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Aircrew survival knives are pretty situational, but really cool to have if you use one regularly.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Got a windbreaker for 30 bucks some years ago, are the new ones different somehow?

I've know some RCAF dudes from way back who got USAF leather jacket before when posted stateside. Tried getting one from their supply system for myself but that didn't work out so well (dammit sequestration). Good to know that we have our own though, gotta burn through discretionary funds somehow :toot:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Gay but Spooky posted:

American pilots roll with these great brown leather jackets and boots that are pretty stylish imo. Makes the faded green poo poo and fleeces I see our pilots rocking pretty lame in comparison.

Something my USAF coworkers point out nearly every single flight, until I riposte with "I have pockets that I can put my hands in."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Just noticed my emailed pay statements for the past couple months have been blank templates. Only discovering this now because I am dumb and roll with any bank deposit that looks 'about right'.

Anybody else run into that?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah dude it sucks but applications can take forever. In 2003 I applied to both the regular and reserve forces. I opted for the full time contract because it came through first but even that took 10 months at a time when the CF was hurting for people. Don't let it stop you from applying to jobs elsewhere though, it's good to have a plan b.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's more likely a forces wide restriction on social media waiting to happen once he crosses some line that can't be ignored.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Still standing by what I said at the top of the page.

Guest2553 posted:

It's more likely a forces wide restriction on social media waiting to happen once he crosses some line that can't be ignored.

ps. gently caress him.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 12, 2014

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Samu posted:

Air Combat Systems Officer looks like it'd be awesome.

They just renamed navigators and I've yet to figure out what exactly they do that isn't already done to some extent by other air ops trades. RCAF doesn't have backseat weapon officers a la the F15E/F18 so the most tacticool spot available is being a backseat EW pod operator in greenwood on contracted (non expeditionary) alpha jets to provide training for other airborne platforms. It looks like navs were able to wrastle their way into (non weaponized) UAVs but I'm not sure what that future looks like. It's a huge trade mafia so if you stay in long enough you'll probably make major at which point most air force ops jobs start to blend together anyways.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/01/11/with-cost-of-housing-through-the-roof-cfb-cold-lake-soldier-resorts-to-busking
http://globalnews.ca/news/705190/rcaf-members-at-cold-lake-work-second-jobs-to-make-ends-meet-ombudsman/
http://www.ombudsman.forces.gc.ca/en/ombudsman-news-events-media-news/release-cold-lake.page
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/Canadian+military+raising+rent+hackles/9373911/story.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cold-lake-alta-boom-squeezing-military-families-1.1258289

Lot of bad news coming out of Cold Lake in recent years because of the oil boom. You can't be charged more than 25% of pay but you'll pay over $300 bucks a month to heat it in winter because there is no insulation. And then because the "fair market value" of that house is 1800/month your HUGE DISCOUNT will be considered a taxable benefit so you'll pay an extra couple hundred a month.

Maybe something will get done about it by the time you've retired. Incidentally, the release rate is over 13% for that base.

quote:

Military housing rents in Cold Lake are roughly double that of comparable Air Force bases in Greenwood, Nova Scotia and Bagotville, Quebec.
Military homes at CFB Cold Lake were mostly built 60 years ago.
Only 18 of 853 of military homes (Residential Housing Units) are assessed as being in good condition; 486 in fair condition; 349 in poor condition.
828 homes have warnings of possible asbestos (in vermiculite insulation) in sealed-off attics.
640 homes have ungrounded electrical outlets.
250 homes have running water throughout the winter to prevent freezing pipes.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

After getting yet another blank pay statement I started to look up pay charts, which segued info pension/benefit tangents.

The pension FAQ has a few scenarios to explain things, but the stock images really sell the article.

Maybe if "Major Smith" was actually Canadian he wouldn't have such a hard time figuring out what to do.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

~*~*special snowflake*~*~

I thought this has been the basis of most procurement projects. We must show the world how Canadian we are or else people might confuse us for some lesser, better equipped force like the US Army or RAAF.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Tactical signals training is pretty hardcore, man. What if you don't know how to use the cam spreaders when you're camming your tactical quiet diesel genny?

Poser I bet you've never even killed a man with a PRC-117 before.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've only ordered two berets since 2008 or so but they were both Belgian ones. I thought this was the new normal?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I ordered a turban once and was a little disappointed to find that they weren't pre-wrapped.

I'm not really sure what I expected to happen, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah it was solid. They changed it few years ago so you actually have to be an MP/SAR tech/Sikh/etc to buy the associated gear.

I just had a shitload of points and felt like having a novel experience.