Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I actually love my job but hate Gagetown. I'd honestly prefer to be in the field the entire duration of my contract than come home everyday to Gagetown. At least I feel like I am getting something done.

I miss Toronto too much.

EDIT: What winter ex? This year there is no winter ex, at least for 2RCR.

There is one planned for June, but I have no idea how we are to pull that off with just Hotel Company & Kilo Recce & Lima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I am now Snowmobile qualified. Next week I will be ATV qualified.

Those two are some pretty sweet courses. We changed the course. It was originally only supposed to be a day, but we made it a four day course. All driving, of course.

Word of the day? Course, but of course.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

acumen posted:

I can't believe we have a fat camp in basic now. Considering that our infantry is closed you'd think we'd be a little bit more picky. Christ.

On a different note, anyone here go to Ft. Irwin, CA this month? loving blows.

Also if anyone has any questions about Canadian snipers I've been qualified for about three years and operated overseas as one. If you are wondering how you become one, you've gotta be a fit, independently-thinking, quality soldier without an ego and someone higher in the chain of command's gotta recommend you.

Are in 2RCR? I'm in Recce and the sniper course they ran in the summer they just selected a bunch of people that had basic recce. To make sniper platoon they chose a few soldiers from the course. Hell, the top candidate on the course is still in Recce as our Warrant wouldn't let him leave to Snipers. As far as I know, nothing about being recommended by higher in the chain, or anything like that.

I can't try out for snipers because of my lovely eyesight, I believe.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

Yeah I normally run outside when it's warmer out, I did the Rattle Me Bones 10k last spring, and the ING 10k last summer. Winter is just my lazy period since I don't play any winter sports/I'm too much of a sissy to run outside. My 10k time is around 45 - 50 depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Man, I'm really surprised that the runs are so short in basic. I guess the main challenge is the ruck-marches?

Keep this in mind: During Basic, you are quite literally running alongside forty year old mothers.

And in infantry battle school we had a forty two year old man graduate as an infanteer.

The ruck marches in basic are also a joke. You don't even have ruck buddies (sand bags), and Basic training (at least in St. Jean) forbid the instructors from doing any PT running in combat boots. It's all in your head, man. Even the *BIGHUGE SCARY* 13km march you do in week 9 or whatever is a two hour walk. It's all mindgames to psych yourself out. Just shut off your mind and do left food right foot left foot right foot or whatever you need to do to pass the time. It's not a brutal march.

If you have any halfway decent instructors, they will tell you the following for rucksack marches:

1) As already said, boot laces being loosened is top priority
2) Kit the gently caress down. If your doing a winter march in negative 20 weather, guess what, just wear your combats. You will heat like crazy if you wear thermals, heavy gloves and a toque on the march. You are a loving idiot if you wear your combat ice jacket on one. Just wear your combats and a normal T shirt. Even in negative twenty. Trust me.
3) If you have problems holding the c7 (c9, c6 in SQ / DP1), stuff the pocket on the left on your tacvest with poo poo so you can rest your forearm on it. A few of the girls did this and it worked out great for them to hold the rifle.
4) It's a ruckmarch. You ain't fighting. Use your sling. Make one out of 550 cord and attach to to your tacvest because the ones they give you in basic are junk.
5) Drink tons of water. All the time. You should be doing this anyways. Don't be one of the idiots that falls out due to dehydration. It's a serious condition, and it happens all the time. Doubly so in the winter.

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 8, 2010

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Fraser CDN posted:

I was on a winter DP1. When we would do rucks it was always ( for me) Green shirt, thermal and Parka outer. I froze my rear end off before the rucks, but when we got to our end area I was dry and warm.

What DP1 course were you on. I think I remember someone in their 40's graduating. Around December 2008.

That was us graduating Jan 09. Dp1 004(0?) Paschendale Platoon.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Look at meeee, workin' with the acting DSM!

Sweepin' floors!
Scrubbing snow off the vehicles!
Shovelling!

You too can do all this exciting stuff during the day, if you burn your leave early and have no days left for March Break!

Weeee!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MohawkSatan posted:

So recruitment is still looking to open up in April, right? At least that's what I gathered from earlier portions of this thread, and from what a few emails have told me. I'm intending on going into Infantry if I can: I've wanted to be a soldier my whole damned life, with all it's inglorious bullshit duties and all.

Probably not going to happen. We are 1200 soldiers over right now.

We had a big meeting today basically telling us to change trades, as there's waaay too many of us.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

lol gently caress issued boots. Been wearing Magnums now for about a year, and lovin it. Gonna pick up some SWATs for my next boots.

Don't get SWAT's wet. loving worst boots ever wet. Mrk III's are the best field boot, ever. Except in winter when your feet freeze.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I loving hate poppies. gently caress wearing them.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

It sounds retarded, but all I want for Christmas is my comms course.

Failing that, I don't want 522's no more.

I'm not a greedy person.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My three years is over in a little over a month, and then my next three year contract begins! I was sorely tempted to change my new three year contract to a 25 year because honestly I like my infanteer job a lot.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mdivi posted:

There isn't any benefits to signing a 25 year other than less paperwork, right?

Right.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Flanker posted:

I want to share your enthusiasm. But it's kinda just depressing.

It's a historic week! A Seaking didn't crash!

Oh god you reminded me I am jumping out of them in July in Halifax. That's gonna be scary. Not the jumping or heights part, those are awesome, but the feeling the bloody thing is gonna crash while I am on it. In fact, once I jump out of the helicopter I will be most calm.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Wohoo Infantry School! GD on BMOQ-L! My summer is ready for fun.

To be fair, it's not a bad go so far. Since there is nothing to do while the course is in garrison, it's been show up at 9:30 leave at 10:00 for the day. Not too shabby.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Also LDA, they're always threatening to scrap it and go back to field pay

LDA will be gone. Lt. Gen Leslie I believe come in and speak to us. It's gonna be scrapped, they are just working on how to implement its replacement.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

MA-Horus posted:

Hahaha that thread about US Army dudes being forced to claim baggage costs for travel reimbursement in GBS makes me laugh. Has anyone here EVER been given travel claim money up front? hosed if I ever have.

All the time? You put the paperwork in before you leave and you get the money as an advance. At least that's how its always worked for me.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Cojac posted:

Does anyone have any insight on what kind of direction the infantry is going to be taking now that Afghanistan's winding down?

Honestly, I go away to basic early next month but I'm wondering if there's going as be much training/field exercises as there is now when I finally get to my battalion.

Maybe less? With 2RCR at least, right now our workup training doesn't start till after Aug and summer leave is done. And we are supposed to be heading over in Feb/March next year.

I'm still amazed you somehow managed to get in the infantry. They are basically throwing soldiers offers to leave all the time, and kicking out problem soldiers easier to try and get our numbers down.

And at least for rifle companies, field ex's are usually pretty loving lovely and never that fun.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

acumen posted:

Morristron - I've heard rumours of the LDA cut. What unit are you? We haven't received any formal word on it yet.

On CATCC this year, Lt. Gen Lesie spoke in front of the entire 2RCR battalion and said it's as good as gone, they are only trying to figure out how to implement old school field pay again.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu where you posted? I'm of high morale myself!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mantle posted:

After three long years of BS, I am finally booked for my interview and PT test for the reserves (artillery). How should I prepare, both physically and for the interview?

Be honest. It's really hard to be turned down. Physically, it's pretty easy, but all the Army cares about is your running time, pushups, situps and pullups. So work on those.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

mdivi posted:

I love how Canadian flags at the QM are always hush hush. The supply clerk passed me a couple today like they were illegal drugs.

I wanted ten yesterday, because I seriously need them. She told me she couldn't hand so many out.

I told her was a storeman for a course(and its true I am right now). I now own ten flags.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

On the BMOQ course I am a storeman for, we had a 'infantry officer' cry for being yelled at due to the candidate improperly doing his c7 drills. In fact, he cries any time he is confronted.

He's still on the bloody course despite the course staff's best efforts to get him off.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Flanker posted:

Hahahha

Reserve I assume.

At least tell us what province this guys unit is in. I would give anything to have a sobbing officer on a weekend ex. gently caress that'd be so funny

He failed the course on the last day. I knew my staff had it in them. I'm pretty sure he was a reservist. All is right in the world.

Summer leave, bitches!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Ghost of Castro posted:

Thanks for the responses, it's really appreciated. I have been feeling the need to re-orient my life and career so maybe the reserves will be an opportunity to challenge myself.

What is DP1?

My cousin just finished Basic Military Officer Qualification and he's going RN. But, unfortunately he knows basically as much as you do about what it will be like. I can help answer questions you may have, but he probably does not know much.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I'd like to know the same think about razor blades too.

And boots.

I'm learning Russian hardcore now because I hate knowing only one language and I don't think french is cool.

Anybody know anything about embassy / overseas jobs where knowing a foreign language is a prerequisite? How many are there for Canadians?

I already know about the extra points you get for the merit board, and in a year or two I am totally challenging their Russian test for it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going on a CQC course, a snowmobile course, and I got my name put in for a US Army Ranger course.

Snowmobile qualifications own. I love when I get asked what vehicles I can drive and I always say Snowmobile/ATV first. I'm always asked, "You seriously have that course?"

Literally all you do on course is bomb around driving snowmobiles.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mazari Sharif looks pretty in photos. I wonder how much of it I am going to be able to see with our new tour structure.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

They cannot handle my paperwork unless there is an existing opening.

They cannot request an additional opening unless they have my paperwork.

:suicide:

I see nothing wrong with this. Seems like the CF is working as intended.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Okay, asking if you need to bring the gas mask is legit funny.

I just got my Logistic Unicorp shipment today and it sadly does not have my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE. All I want is a fur hat. Please tell me the FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE is every bit as awesome as it sounds and looks.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I go back to work monday.

All pers with 5+ years in come back the following week, except for a few Mcpl's.

Basically giving us another week off!

Also, my distance learning PLQ course got jacked up... By the course WO... On the course message board.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Mr.48 posted:

:psyduck: How the gently caress does a distance learning PLQ course even work?

Its mods 1 to 5, after which you do residency, and the practical of teaching drill, lessons, pt. The online course is a million powerpoints followed by tests, then the homework assignments of creating lesson plans, memos, and PDRs.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Vadoc posted:

And getting chits so that they can request Gucchi comfortable boots.

Is this still an issue anywhere? In 2RCR if its black (or tan for tour) wear it.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

stevobob posted:

SWATs kick so much rear end. Not one blister after my last BFT with them.

Garrison boots though, they have no durability, walk through a few rivers and they are ruined forever.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Regarding OP ATTENTION, my job has changed three times and my destination in Afghanistan has changed three times. In the last two weeks. Still a month away from deploying.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Flanker posted:

I was the first to go, with literally no training and no practice. I did some remedial training, hard assess shouldn't be a big deal. Downhill from there, I have no problems teaching lectures.

I'm literally the worst dress, deportment and drill soldier in battalion and I scored a 99 out of 100 on my drill assess. It's just knowing the sequence and the words of command and you score 90's on every assess.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

After watching some videos on the various trades from the forces website, I came to the conclusion that a lot of the jobs don't look that bad all. Then I watched the infantry one.

Oh god the lies.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

swagger like us posted:

That's what I wish the militia was sort of like. I wish we instituted a militia that's primary goal would be to wage guerilla warfare in the event of an invasion, like the Venezuelan or Swiss military's reserves. That'd be more fun to train in than the 50 billionth time i've assaulted a trench.

I can not even wrap my head around this.

Your argument is 'More fun for training'? Seriously?

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

I thought the meth lab was in a pmq. How did they find that one out again?

Probably because it's a Meth Lab in a PMQ.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Why am I being tasked with enemy force for the upcoming Jamaican exercise, and they are sending people from India Coy to stand up as a recce section?

That's like total army logic to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

My Spirit Otter posted:

The worst I had was 6 people in a 4 man recce tent in October in Shilo. All of our 5-man/10-man tents were busted. Thank gently caress it was seasonably warm week and a half.

Why would you not just sleep outside?