Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

I just ordered 96 infantry dudes. :argh:

Ok so it's 6mm so that is one 5 quid blister and I'm just trying it out

6mm is crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Serotonin linked me to a lightbox on Amazon, but I also found this: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

And I thought people might be interested in that. It's probably good enough for taking pictures of miniatures for this (and other) threads. And I could probably justify a cardboard box and paper more than a full $40 setup to my wife. :p

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That looks fine ot me. I was going to do the same but I am a lazy arse with more money than sense, so I bought one.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I bought a light tent on ebay for about 20, I think.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

6mm is crack.

honk honk

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Painting for the first time since my daughter was born 10 weeks old.

On the table tonight are Baccus' 6mm French Horse artillery limber teams.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

How can a baby be born 10 weeks old?

Also, I've started basing my cavalry and assembling my artillery.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Deployed from reserves in the second turn.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Serotonin posted:

On an average, how much time does it take for you to paint 6mm stuff? How many colours do you use? Is there any reason to do techniques from larger scales such as highlighting, washing etc? I'm trying to figure out if 96 baccus samurai will be done in a week or a year.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Also, I've started basing my cavalry and assembling my artillery.

10 week ago, I was distracted when I typed it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

On an average, how much time does it take for you to paint 6mm stuff? How many colours do you use? Is there any reason to do techniques from larger scales such as highlighting, washing etc? I'm trying to figure out if 96 baccus samurai will be done in a week or a year.

Hmm. Good questions.

OK for my Napoleonics this is how I tackle them.

I undercoat every thing black to start with. I personally dont wash 6mm, but many people do. I basecoat the main colours, so say for my Brits...

Click here for the full 1200x315 image.

I start by painting the sleeves and coat tails on them red. I then paint the cross straps in white. I then do the trosuers in light grey. I then go back and put a small highlight in lighter red on each arm. I then paint the muskets, faces and hands and other small detals. Then I go back and paint in the cuffs in their appropriate facing. I try and use a black lining technique. That is to say I try and leave a small amount of black showing through between each colour I paint. I find this gives the cleanest effect at 6mm.

I also cheat a bit, as I base mine in 2 ranks, I paint the fronts of the rear rank in a very quick and simple way, and I paint the backs of the front ranks in just a quick rushed way. I paint the backs of the rear rank in a detailed manner, and the fronts of the front rank also in a detailed manner. Then when I base them you can hardly tell the whole figure isnt painted in an equally careful way.

Remeber you are trying to paint them as a unit not a model. This is very improtant for 6mm. Try and think of them as a Monet style painting. Up close as single models they dont look great but on a tabletop as a unit they look OK.

This pic is a work in progress close up to give an idea of what they look like early on.

Click here for the full 1200x773 image.

A unit of 144 figures will take me about 3-4 hours I would say. I take my time and I am not the fastest painter inthe world. You should be able to do 96 Baccus Samurais in an evening easily.

My technique for 6mm and 10mm vehicles are quite different though and do involve wahsing and dry brushing.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 9, 2010

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Arquinsiel posted:

You can run out of planes. Most air support choices I've seen have been three or less. You don't get to keep rolling if they've all been shot down.

Well not for that attack run, but next turn you can call them back for more.

FoW Rulebook posted:

The amount of air support available to you will always be the same. No matter how many aircraft you lose in a turn, the air force will always manage to scrape up more aircraft from somewhere for the next one.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Hmm. Good questions.

OK for my Napoleonics this is how I tackle them.

I undercoat every thing black to start with. I personally dont wash 6mm, but many people do. I basecoat the main colours, so say for my Brits...

Click here for the full 1200x315 image.

I start by painting the sleeves and coat tails on them red. I then paint the cross straps in white. I then do the trosuers in light grey. I then go back and put a small highlight in lighter red on each arm. I then paint the muskets, faces and hands and other small detals. Then I go back and paint in the cuffs in their appropriate facing. I try and use a black lining technique. That is to say I try and leave a small amount of black showing through between each colour I paint. I find this gives the cleanest effect at 6mm.

I also cheat a bit, as I base mine in 2 ranks, I paint the fronts of the rear rank in a very quick and simple way, and I paint the backs of the front ranks in just a quick rushed way. I paint the backs of the rear rank in a detailed manner, and the fronts of the front rank also in a detailed manner. Then when I base them you can hardly tell the whole figure isnt painted in an equally careful way.

Remeber you are trying to paint them as a unit not a model. This is very improtant for 6mm. Try and think of them as a Monet style painting. Up close as single models they dont look great but on a tabletop as a unit they look OK.

This pic is a work in progress close up to give an idea of what they look like early on.

Click here for the full 1200x773 image.

A unit of 144 figures will take me about 3-4 hours I would say. I take my time and I am not the fastest painter inthe world. You should be able to do 96 Baccus Samurais in an evening easily.

My technique for 6mm and 10mm vehicles are quite different though and do involve wahsing and dry brushing.

Thanks for the tips, and those Napoleonics look great! I'm thinking of doing someting similar by using a uniform colour with highlights on the main colour and not bother too much with the details. I'll probably try to make them look a bit less disciplined than a 19th century battleline by cutting the miniatures off the strips and placing them more randomly. Even rows looks great for napoleonics and hoplites and such, but less so for samurai imho.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No lightbox, yet, but I wanted to take a picture of this American artillery piece I just based. It's my first!

http://i49.tinypic.com/rcpm5l.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2uzy0ec.jpg

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

They are looking great Commisar. Keep us up to date with work in progress shots please.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

WIP shot (crappy pic sorry) from last night of the artillery limbers. Got 2 of these teams done last night. Just need basing now.

Oh also lilljonas, a good tip for 6mm painting is always use a shade lighter for your base colour on 6mm's than you would if you were painting larger scale figures.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some photos from the 09 New Zealand Late War GT for Flames of War.

Bill Wilcox's Awesome 7th Armoured Company. He did horrible things to my Para's in a mission they couldn't win. He was my vote for best painted, great guy to play.

Next is Steve Hills Objective, again very good painter and alway a good fight.

Here are my only tanks in my British Para Army. Yes they fit those things in a glider and landed them in Normandy for the D-day landings. Not the best picture as its an in game shot.

Next is Chris Townsleys SU76 Horde. I really like this pic.

Bedes Stugs, Painted using an airbrush.

I am pretty big into Flames of War and can answer most questions.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

LintMan posted:

Here are my only tanks in my British Para Army. Yes they fit those things in a glider and landed them in Normandy for the D-day landings. Not the best picture as its an in game shot.

No Pun Intended and I have chuckled about these little guys, but are they actually a lot of use? Oh, how I hope that they are!

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

LintMan posted:

Here are some photos from the 09 New Zealand Late War GT for Flames of War.

I am pretty big into Flames of War and can answer most questions.

Sup Kiwi(?) buddy, I saw some of these in the latest WGI but it is nice to see more posted.

Nice Tetrachs too.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
They are great, fast, they have an HE round on the mighty 2pdr gun. Use them to take out HMG positions so your infantry can do the job. AT 7 is good against the German mediums side armour and the Tetrarchs speed is great. Just don't expect them to last long in a stand up fight against pretty much anything.

Using them to assault an objective supported by tanks is a bad idea:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Trouble Man posted:

No Pun Intended and I have chuckled about these little guys, but are they actually a lot of use? Oh, how I hope that they are!

My mate has a 28mm scale one he uses in our Rules Of Engagement games. Its ace!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Oh also lilljonas, a good tip for 6mm painting is always use a shade lighter for your base colour on 6mm's than you would if you were painting larger scale figures.

I keep forgetting about this. Things look really dark in 6mm

LintMan posted:

Next is Steve Hills Objective, again very good painter and alway a good fight.

Love the chillaxin' nazis

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

How many of your own objectives did you have to model for the Tournament?

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

No Pun Intended posted:

How many of your own objectives did you have to model for the Tournament?

Two. My objectives were the British paras capturing some 88mm AA guns.

I did a pretty good run last year, hitting most of the big tournaments including both Battlefront run GT's.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I keep forgetting about this. Things look really dark in 6mm

Click here for the full 1200x333 image.

Take my Frogs for example- their uniforms should prety much be prussian blue (a very dark navy) but you try using that in 6mm and your minis look black from an arms length away. Ive ended up using Foundrys Sky Blue (the shade as the base colour and the base colour as the highlight) which on a 28mm figure would look ridiculous, but in 6mm looks about right to me.

I made the mistake with my first 6mm project, British moderns, and used the correct green and black on the camo schemes on the tanks and they look really really dark now, almost impossible to see the camo scheme from more than 6 inches away. hosed if I am going to repaint them all now- I am chalking it up to experience.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 10, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Click here for the full 1200x333 image.

Take my Frogs for example- their uniforms should prety much be prussian blue (a very dark navy) but you try using that in 6mm and your minis look black from an arms length away. Ive ended up using Foundrys Sky Blue (the shade as the base colour and the base colour as the highlight) which on a 28mm figure would look ridiculous, but in 6mm looks about right to me.

I made the mistake with my first 6mm project, British moderns, and used the correct green and black on the camo schemes on the tanks and they look really really dark now, almost impossible to see the camo scheme from more than 6 inches away. hosed if I am going to repaint them all now- I am chalking it up to experience.

I notice this even at 15mm, my 28mm style is pretty dark to begin with so I've had to brighten things up at 15mm to prevent the details from just disappearing into a dark shadowy mush. I'll warm up my Goblin Green, Fiery Orange and Icy Blue then...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

I made the mistake with my first 6mm project, British moderns, and used the correct green and black on the camo schemes on the tanks and they look really really dark now, almost impossible to see the camo scheme from more than 6 inches away.

I've seen quite a few of pictures of people's 6mm stuff where they go for really, really extreme highlights to get round this rather than brightening the base colour a lot.

Here is another thing I am realising about 6mm - base your armour because then you can right what it is on the underside of the base, because I honestly can't tell some of these vehicles apart easily, or remember exactly what they are once I've got them out of the box!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Here is another thing I am realising about 6mm - base your armour because then you can right what it is on the underside of the base, because I honestly can't tell some of these vehicles apart easily, or remember exactly what they are once I've got them out of the box!

Good idea.

My mate took a differnt approach (havent got any pics to hand unfortunately)- he left a small strip on the back edge of each base and printed a label with the nations flag (in his case West Germany) and the type of vehicle it is. It actually looks pretty cool, if you can get over the 'break in immersion' of seeing the labels on the table edge.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Let's go camping!

Click here for the full 713x459 image.

Click here for the full 750x426 image.

Click here for the full 750x533 image.

Finally bought a decent camera and had a go at shooting some things like the camps for my DBA armies.

Rest of the camps are here:
http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/dbacamps/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

They are looking great Commisar. Keep us up to date with work in progress shots please.

I wonder if I should greenstuff some balls, or just buy tiny beads/ball bearings.

R.S. Gumby posted:

Rest of the camps are here:
http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/dbacamps/

Wow, very nice.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am looking for more varieties of 28mm US Marines/US army, etc. Black Scorpion does a really nice range, but they're limited, what else is out there?

This counts as historical right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I am looking for more varieties of 28mm US Marines/US army, etc. Black Scorpion does a really nice range, but they're limited, what else is out there?

This counts as historical right?

Try these guys: http://www.theassaultgroup.com/

EDIT: They sell them through WarStore, but they're special order.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lord Commissar posted:

EDIT: They sell them through WarStore, but they're special order.

Are you sure about that? I emailed the Warstore in June to ask about ordering some TAG stuff through them, and Neil said that they had stopped doing business with them. If they've taken them back up on a special-order basis that would be great news, because ordering internationally is always a pain.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Are you sure about that? I emailed the Warstore in June to ask about ordering some TAG stuff through them, and Neil said that they had stopped doing business with them. If they've taken them back up on a special-order basis that would be great news, because ordering internationally is always a pain.

Hmm, maybe you're right. I saw the note about special orders but didn't realize there are actually no miniatures of TAG's on the website.

These guys are in the US: http://www.warpathgames.com/wholesale/warpath.php?m=list&mfg=TAG

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
So I've got Cold War Commander, but now I've got a different problem. The army lists at the back have dates vehicles were used, but how do I find out more specifics? Once I've picked a period and area that I want to build a force for, do I need to go digging through depths of internet forums and websites about specific conflicts/armies to find out what would have actually been used there by the relevant forces, or are there any good general resources for this?

Wikipedia is great for telling you which countries used a vehicle and the date they started being used, or which regiments were deployed but not what they would have used. There appears to be endless internet detail for exactly when/where WW2 armour was deployed, but not as much after '45.

To be more narrow about it, if anyone knows of any good sites/books/films/documentaries about NATO/Warsaw Pact forces facing off in the cold war, particular in Berlin, that would be great since I've got a good analysis book about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that I can get the relevant detail out of...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Forum/default.aspx

Join us Join us

These guys will help you out big time.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Failing that, Micromark is your friend.
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/WebStore/storefront.aspx?ClientID=5

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Motherfucker. Just browsing around, and the stuff this guy squeezes out from 15mm is insane. His 25mm stuff is incredible too, and it's especially his work with freehand painting that floors me. drat, I really should start practicing freehand more because the end results are stunning. Lots of medieval goodness, especially crusade stuff.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Forum/default.aspx

Join us Join us

These guys will help you out big time.

Sweet. I would go join TMP but I can't get over a] the horrifying web design and b] every thread about "how should I paint X" or "could army Y field unit Z in 1985?" seems to become a bunch of veterans trading stories... so I just browse it occasionally...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sweet. I would go join TMP but I can't get over a] the horrifying web design and b] every thread about "how should I paint X" or "could army Y field unit Z in 1985?" seems to become a bunch of veterans trading stories... so I just browse it occasionally...

TMP aint so bad, if you can get past the extreme right wing views of many of its posters (americans mainly) and the editors willingness to tolerate pro paedophile views.