Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Air Julio posted:

Listening to it again, the guitars are obviously fuzzed out, and it sounds like a wah pedal is getting used among some other effects. I'd argue that if you took those effects away, the playing style is still very similar. I could see a lot of the riffs and hooks being used clean or acoustic if needed. All the odd start/stops are there. I dunno, I don't hate it.

I should say that I don't hate Omni as much as most fans do. That might help put my opinion in perspective.

I guess they played a couple of songs from the new album in Detroit last night. I'm going to see them in Columbus tonight and am pretty excited to see how the new album is shaping up.

I also don't hate Omni. I just enjoy it a little differently than I would enjoy Highly Refined Pirates or Planet of Ice.

e: They played Steel and Blood, Lonely Gun, and Diamond Lightning. All 3 well composed, but it would seem boring by most, including myself. I think I liked Diamond Lightning more in the trailer. I'm hoping that they just played the easily adjustable ones to gear up for release. We shall see.

Full Set List:

1) Knights
2) Thanks for the Killer Game of Twister
3) The Thief
4) Throwin Shapes
5) Diamond Lightning (Infinity Overhead)
6) Drilling
7) Pachuca Sunrise
8) Steel and Blood (Infinity Overhead)
9) Ice Monster
10) Hold Me Down
11) Loaded Gun (Infinity Overhead)
12) Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey......

As can be seen from the above, it was a great show. Not as good as when I saw them at Roseland in Portland a couple of years ago, but you can't really play for 2 and a half hours when you aren't the headliners :)

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

-Atom- posted:

They released Steel and Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPEh4tf40ro

It's kinda fun, and in the same vein as Lonely Gun.

It sounded much better live.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I listened to it once yesterday, have listened to it multiple times today. I was originally really disappointed, but I relistened and am really impressed by the amount of nuance all over the place.

Lies and Eyes is a fantastic song. First four songs are wonderful in a row. Its just great work. And after having seen them a couple of times now, there are a ton of songs on this album that are going to sound great live (see earlier post).

e: Won't be in Boston, but I'm anglin' at heading to Hartford since its not a ridiculous drive and its on a Saturday rather than trying to haul rear end to Pittsburgh after class on a Friday.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 30, 2012

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

About MtB: I don't know if anyone heard about this (but it got announced all over twitter and what not a couple of weeks ago), but they are doing 20ish shows with Circa Survive in March in the Midwest/Northeast/Southeast.

Also seconding a recommendation for Look Mexico from earlier in the thread. I have The Crucial Collection and I like it a lot.

• Locked thread