Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
What would be the advantage of getting one of these, rather than picking up an Nvidia ION based PC like the Asus R1600 and running Linux + Boxee on that? Seems like the Asus, being an Atom based PC, would be more "future proof", should Boxee decide it doesn't like being in business any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Gravitom posted:

How would this compare to using an Xbox 360 extender with WMC? It seems it has way more Internet TV support and probably supports more codecs. Anything else I'm missing?
There is absolutely no comparison. The best part is no more transcoding!

Brock Landers posted:

What would be the advantage of getting one of these, rather than picking up an Nvidia ION based PC like the Asus R1600 and running Linux + Boxee on that? Seems like the Asus, being an Atom based PC, would be more "future proof", should Boxee decide it doesn't like being in business any more.
I chose to go with the Atom based PC because it was just that, a PC. And with it I could also do other things on my desktop PC. Customization will also be better on the PC version.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

The advantage would be the allowance for laziness by getting the boxee box. It's more of a plug it in and go device. Otherwise, none whatsoever.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Perhaps this will encourage Logitech to put a similar keyboard remote into their Harmony lineup. I'd buy the hell out of one of those for many uses.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Siroc posted:

Perhaps this will encourage Logitech to put a similar keyboard remote into their Harmony lineup. I'd buy the hell out of one of those for many uses.

QFT. I wish Logitech would get with the times and come out with a Harmony that had built in Bluetooth, RF, and IR technology. Give it the ability to control existing IR devices, Bluetooth devices like the PS3, and RF for things like Crestron/Lutron home lighting/automation equipment. Give it the ability to do advanced macro programming and service remote codes and I'd buy the poo poo out of that remote.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One of the key features of the Boxee Box and the Boxee software in general is the web integration.

Imagine it: you're entire movie and TV collection presented in a beautiful library format with artwork and text descriptions and trailers available.. Automatically! No installing user created scrips, none of that BS!

Also, searching or Stargate: SG1 and having a list of every episode that's out there, somewhere, to watch! Right now all of SG1 is on Hulu, so there you go!

This is what I've always wanted... A way to watch what I want when I want it. Unfortunately it's still at the mercy of content providers, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

If I could have access to all primetime shows and specialty cable content (e.g. Robot Chicken and poo poo like that late at night) to watch whenever I want, even if I had to play a monthly fee+add supported I'd be fine with it! It's about having it your way.

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

There is absolutely no comparison. The best part is no more transcoding!

Well WMC and an Xbox extender is essentially free to me (and probably most people). I'm trying to convince myself to spend more money but I want to understand what exactly I'm getting. I'm also considering building a HTPC but that depends on how CableCARD plays out in the next few months.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gravitom posted:

Well WMC and an Xbox extender is essentially free to me (and probably most people). I'm trying to convince myself to spend more money but I want to understand what exactly I'm getting. I'm also considering building a HTPC but that depends on how CableCARD plays out in the next few months.

The idea behind this is to get out from under cable and satellite delivery of TV programming.

If you want to hold on to your subscription and use cablecard, this is not the solution for you.

If you want to go ahead and ditch them and go with a purely internet fed system, this or some variant is the best plan.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

A note about the strange design:

When attempting to establish a brand image it is often helpful to reply on evocative rather than descriptive.

In the case of design, all the competitors are all descriptive. The design is a simple box that blends in with everything else. Every new device that is released it just another rectangular box that sits next to your TV.

The design of the Boxee, while unconventional, is meant to evoke a certain emotion when viewed in marketing material next to a TV, it's meant to stand out and be easily recognizable.

The only justification for this design is that it will reduce warranty issues from stupid people stacking stuff on top of it causing it to overheat.

Most people serious into home theater DON'T want things that stand out like a sore thumb. Convential design has a point in that it looks good in a home theater shelf setup and is why companies make IR extenders and shelving with cable management to hide the components and mess. This is why I can't stand the design of video game consoles, other than the PS3 (new design). I invested in a good looking HT setup and fear if I get this it'll look like a child's toy or a video game misplaced in my stack (though I suppose it's easy to hide with an IR extender). I'm sure many others feel the same way. I'll probably wait for reviews or until the Popbox comes out based on this alone, which is a shame because Boxee itself is a great system.

Upside Potential posted:

HDMI is your only video out is kinda lame, but it has RCA audio :confused:

If you have an older receiver $5 or less HDMI>DVI adapter on monoprice and use optical for multichannel audio assuming your receiver supports it.

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 12, 2010

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Brock Landers posted:

I would probably think d-link wouldnt let support for a product entirely fall through but i might be wrong. However the advantage of getting this over an ion based pc is you dont have to gently caress with anything, unless you love tinkering with poo poo for ages trying to get it to just "work", then go ahead and get an ion based PC

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Let me just throw this out there as a serious question:

I already have a HTPC built with Windows 7, 1080p support, IR remote support, HDMI (w/ digital audio out over HDMI support) for my home theater. I use WMC on the PC, and Zune software for my old Zune. I have a linux based server in a closet with music/movies/tv shares. Is there any reason why I should get the Boxee device? I'd love to get it, it seems really cool, and I want to support the company, but I need to justify spending the money on it, versus say the Zune HD that's in my Amazon shopping cart right now.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Let me just throw this out there as a serious question:

I already have a HTPC built with Windows 7, 1080p support, IR remote support, HDMI (w/ digital audio out over HDMI support) for my home theater. I use WMC on the PC, and Zune software for my old Zune. I have a linux based server in a closet with music/movies/tv shares. Is there any reason why I should get the Boxee device? I'd love to get it, it seems really cool, and I want to support the company, but I need to justify spending the money on it, versus say the Zune HD that's in my Amazon shopping cart right now.
I would imagine not. Especially when you can just download Boxee for free and do the very same thing on your HTPC.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

suddenlyissoon posted:

I would imagine not. Especially when you can just download Boxee for free and do the very same thing on your HTPC.

Especially since you can setup Boxee to launch from an icon within WMC, which is great to watch/record live TV and let Boxee handle everything else.

So I got to play with this at CES, and while it's cool, it's no different than putting a computer next to your TV with the freely available software. The price is what will make it sell, since it's pretty astonishing to find something that can do this much for this cheaply supported by a major company (i.e., not like popcorn hour).

My favorite part though was by far the remote control. The buttons are very clicky, and feel like a good mobile phone keyboard. Kind of like the sidekick's. I asked if it would be available as a separate purchase, and the Boxee people said yes, so if you just want the remote and not the whole Boxee box, you'll be able to get one. I know I will.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like you can run your own OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PcGuf_mug

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When they say no hard drive, does that mean the OS is stored on flash or something and that you can just use network drives? Or does it mean "you must buy the boxee and a HDD"?

(I asked this in the HTPC thread but didn't see an answer.)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

smackfu posted:

When they say no hard drive, does that mean the OS is stored on flash or something and that you can just use network drives? Or does it mean "you must buy the boxee and a HDD"?

(I asked this in the HTPC thread but didn't see an answer.)

There is confirmed no hard drive. I think it boots off the flash drive.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
I am looking forward to this box. It seems to do all the things I want. I have been messing with it for a few days on my PC. The scraper is getting quite a few of my movies wrong. According to the manual there is no way to manually edit them. XBMC gets the movies right just fine though. I couldn't get any show that streams from FOX to work either. Hulu ones worked fine.

I know this is still a beta, and bugs should be expected. I really hope they add the ability to edit movie info. That is a deal breaker for me. For "Hellboy 2.avi", boxee decided it should be called "Golden Spoon Mary". "Australia (2008).avi" is "Kung Fu Panda" now. :raise:

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Greenfield posted:

I am looking forward to this box. It seems to do all the things I want. I have been messing with it for a few days on my PC. The scraper is getting quite a few of my movies wrong. According to the manual there is no way to manually edit them. XBMC gets the movies right just fine though. I couldn't get any show that streams from FOX to work either. Hulu ones worked fine.

I know this is still a beta, and bugs should be expected. I really hope they add the ability to edit movie info. That is a deal breaker for me. For "Hellboy 2.avi", boxee decided it should be called "Golden Spoon Mary". "Australia (2008).avi" is "Kung Fu Panda" now. :raise:

Star Trek (2009).avi is now Shanghai Noon for me.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Star Trek (2009).avi is now Shanghai Noon for me.

I recall that somebody had this exact problem on the XBMC forums and the cause was that the .nfo file that came with the movie had the incorrect IMDB URL inside.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Changing Hellboy II into Golden Spoon Mary is something that I would pay for instead of bitching about. :haw:

Lazy Eye
Sep 5, 2003

I had high hopes for the new hardware and I kinda like the case design, but there are some rumblings that Tegra 2 won't be able to decode streams much larger than 10mbps or so. That's fine for Netflix etc, but not nearly enough for blu-ray or quality downloaded content. It should still be a fit for a lot of people, but it doesn't look like it's going to work for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Lazy Eye posted:

I had high hopes for the new hardware and I kinda like the case design, but there are some rumblings that Tegra 2 won't be able to decode streams much larger than 10mbps or so. That's fine for Netflix etc, but not nearly enough for blu-ray or quality downloaded content. It should still be a fit for a lot of people, but it doesn't look like it's going to work for me.

I think this has been misinterpreted. One of the previews I think said "in the 10s of mbps" or something. I think it will be able to power pretty high bitrate x264 files.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
A shame it lacks composite / I have a lovely old TV. Also although it looks freakin' awesome, where the hell would you put it?

Rat Supremacy fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 18, 2010

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haywire posted:

A shame it lacks composite / I have a lovely old TV. Also although it looks freakin' awesome, where the hell would you put it?

You should look into a WD TV unit, then. As far as placement goes, while it is shaped rather bizarrely, it's quite small. Shouldn't be much of an issue sticking it somewhere next to the TV.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

mediaphage posted:

You should look into a WD TV unit, then. As far as placement goes, while it is shaped rather bizarrely, it's quite small. Shouldn't be much of an issue sticking it somewhere next to the TV.

What exactly does the box offer over the WD TV Live?

Lazy Eye
Sep 5, 2003

kri kri posted:

I think this has been misinterpreted. One of the previews I think said "in the 10s of mbps" or something. I think it will be able to power pretty high bitrate x264 files.

That's what I thought at first, but the more I looked into it, the more it appears that it's going to come up short. At CES, they demoed a 10mbps stream. 40mbps is pretty much the minimum capability to decode unmolested blu-ray content, so if your product can do it, why demo it at one quarter of its capability? My guess is that it's going to be a bit more capable than Apple TV (without the Broadcom upgrade), but most 1080p content is going to have to be re-encoded at a lower bitrate.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haywire posted:

What exactly does the box offer over the WD TV Live?

Better UI, vastly increased internet content, great remote control, web browsing (limited utility), app store, SDK.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Lazy Eye posted:

That's what I thought at first, but the more I looked into it, the more it appears that it's going to come up short. At CES, they demoed a 10mbps stream. 40mbps is pretty much the minimum capability to decode unmolested blu-ray content, so if your product can do it, why demo it at one quarter of its capability? My guess is that it's going to be a bit more capable than Apple TV (without the Broadcom upgrade), but most 1080p content is going to have to be re-encoded at a lower bitrate.

My opinion is, if you have 40-50mbps steams, then you should have a blu-ray player. The biggest thing that's going to trip people up is playing content that doesn't fit a profile spec. Nvidia has been able to at least get it so that as long as it's close you may be ok but there's still a ton of things out that are not compliant. Either because people are using tools that can't do it, or just don't care to do a compliant stream.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

evilalien posted:

I recall that somebody had this exact problem on the XBMC forums and the cause was that the .nfo file that came with the movie had the incorrect IMDB URL inside.
Yeah, I've run into that. It really surprised me since I thought it matched on the name only. It's also kind of funny because everyone who reported it is basically saying they downloaded the scene release.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Does this run Bittorrent?

And how well does it handle rich subtitle formats? I am thinking of upgrading because my Astone AP-100, while very good for the price, has a tendency to poo poo itself and display nothing whenever two or more subtitles appear on screen at once. If I could also use this to run Bittorrent etc. (with a USB hard drive plugged in of course) instead of having to run my computer all the time then I would be sold, especially if you can also use it as a NAS.

Or do I have to get a Popcorn Hour for that? If so, is there a newer equivalent to the Popcorn Hour that doesn't cost quite as much?

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

Xythar posted:

Does this run Bittorrent?

And how well does it handle rich subtitle formats? I am thinking of upgrading because my Astone AP-100, while very good for the price, has a tendency to poo poo itself and display nothing whenever two or more subtitles appear on screen at once. If I could also use this to run Bittorrent etc. (with a USB hard drive plugged in of course) instead of having to run my computer all the time then I would be sold, especially if you can also use it as a NAS.

Or do I have to get a Popcorn Hour for that? If so, is there a newer equivalent to the Popcorn Hour that doesn't cost quite as much?

Boxee software runs rtorrent, so I suppose the Boxee Box will as well.
I've used Boxee with subtitles and it works just as expected. Even better: it finds the subtitles for you.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
How does that work anyway? You save the .torrent to the media center, or do you browse a page on it? I've always just set up my media center as a mapped drive and then set it as the download location from another PC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gravitom posted:

How would this compare to using an Xbox 360 extender with WMC? It seems it has way more Internet TV support and probably supports more codecs. Anything else I'm missing?

If you're not trying to tune live TV I don't think there's any comparison, Boxee all the way.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry about the lack of news everybody. D-Link and Boxee have been really quiet since CES.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Jealous Cow posted:

Sorry about the lack of news everybody. D-Link and Boxee have been really quiet since CES.

They have indeed. Is there any speculation on when this is going to hit the market? I'm in need of some sort of front-end device to plug into my home theater and am wondering if I should hold out for this, or go with something I can purchase now.

These days, there are plenty of options for set-top boxes (or whatever you want to call them), but it seems like none of them are perfect for what I want to do...

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

qutius posted:

They have indeed. Is there any speculation on when this is going to hit the market? I'm in need of some sort of front-end device to plug into my home theater and am wondering if I should hold out for this, or go with something I can purchase now.

These days, there are plenty of options for set-top boxes (or whatever you want to call them), but it seems like none of them are perfect for what I want to do...

http://www.rocketboom.com/rbtech-boxee/ says its supposed to be in the 2nd quarter

In the Popcorn Hour or options thread, I mentioned how that device wasn't for me but after playing around with Boxee, I think this may be the device I was looking for. I'm a bit concerned about the boxee payments system though as I'm looking at this device as a potential TV service for people without cable TV and bad antenna reception.

Too bad the latest updates are on their twitter feed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I feel like kind of a fool for even suggesting this, considering how much great content is already there even without importing your own local stuff between Hulu, ABC/NBC/CBS site scrapes, and all those lovely apps (Revision3 - it's like having TechTV again, yay!) - but I really hope ATSC support finds its way into Boxee someday. It's relatively simple, free, unencumbered by DRM, and pretty much anything can play MPEG2. Cable DVR capability is a clusterfuck of analog and digital technologies, IR blasters, and whatnot, but over-the-air digital tuning/recording support would really get my dick hard.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TheScott2K posted:

I feel like kind of a fool for even suggesting this, considering how much great content is already there even without importing your own local stuff between Hulu, ABC/NBC/CBS site scrapes, and all those lovely apps (Revision3 - it's like having TechTV again, yay!) - but I really hope ATSC support finds its way into Boxee someday. It's relatively simple, free, unencumbered by DRM, and pretty much anything can play MPEG2. Cable DVR capability is a clusterfuck of analog and digital technologies, IR blasters, and whatnot, but over-the-air digital tuning/recording support would really get my dick hard.

It could be possible to connect a USB tuner in the link to one of the ports in the device to get it working

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100035&cm_re=qam_tuner-_-15-100-035-_-Product

The issue seems to be that the Boxee Box is using the Linux version of Boxee so I'm not sure if the drivers are there. Boxee also seems to be more interested in social connections more than technical issues but it couldn't hurt to post to their forum or send a email to them and see if anyone bites.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

NYIslander posted:

It could be possible to connect a USB tuner in the link to one of the ports in the device to get it working

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100035&cm_re=qam_tuner-_-15-100-035-_-Product

The issue seems to be that the Boxee Box is using the Linux version of Boxee so I'm not sure if the drivers are there. Boxee also seems to be more interested in social connections more than technical issues but it couldn't hurt to post to their forum or send a email to them and see if anyone bites.

It occurs to me that a first step could be simply an app with DVR that is purpose-built for, say, an HDHomeRun, which doesn't even have to be directly plugged into the box, just exist on the same network. Sounds like an opportunity to dig a little deeper into this stuff. Fun :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

TheScott2K posted:

It occurs to me that a first step could be simply an app with DVR that is purpose-built for, say, an HDHomeRun, which doesn't even have to be directly plugged into the box, just exist on the same network. Sounds like an opportunity to dig a little deeper into this stuff. Fun :D

wiki does note that XBMC works with HDHomeRun so there might be a chance there

the claim does link to a thread on it if this helps you dig deeper

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25099

• Locked thread