Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I'm not a big fan of 1.0, they have removed a couple features I wanted.

There is no longer a mark as watched/mark as unwatched option, and watching any video even for a few seconds marks it as watched.

There is no longer an option to continuously index an external drive, only scan never, scan once, and scan daily.

Clicking on movies/tv shows now takes you to the "popular' section by default, which seems to give you content that is popular on all their media affiliates. If you want your own content, you need to navigate to tv shows->files, and even then you might see random episodes available on other sources (my two seasons of Fringe include one random S3E5 available on CTV). Since the sidebar is gone, the only search box now comes up on the guide, and if you search for a tv show it will find you everything it can from all it's content providers (a process that can be pretty slow) before it just shows you your file.

The queue has been replaced with a favorites system, I don't know how well that works yet but it seems pretty simple and easy to use on the plus side. I'm really just frustrated about the things they have removed (continuous scanning, mark as watched) because I don't understand why they got rid of them. I can live with all the content integration, though I wish they made it easier to get to the files I actually want.

Nall fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

This thing does not want to show my drives from my USB hub connected to my Airport Extreme. You click Network -> Airport Extreme -> and then its just blank.

Do you normally have issues with your USB hub connected drives? If you can see them on your mac/pc then all you need to do to connect them to boxee is enter the address manually in sources including the drive path. For me it was smb://10.0.1.1/STORAGE with the username and password for the drive.

Boxee seems to have issues opening the airport extreme itself to see all the drives inside it, connecting directly to the drive fixed that problem for me and it's been smooth sailing since then (it took a long time to index the drive so be ready for that).

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

I don't even see a way to manually add a drive with Boxee 1.0. Where is that option?

settings > file sources > add sources

scroll to the bottom (if you have a long list) to "manually enter IP / Name..."

It's worth noting (if this matters to you) that the boxee box runs a SMB share server as well, and if you set up the box to go into power saving mode after like 15 minutes of inactivity, it virtually shuts off but keeps the SMB active. So you could plug the drive directly into it as well and still use it as a network share. OPTIONS.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

DudeDeuce posted:

Ok thanks for the location. Unfortunately, I keep getting connection timed out when adding a drive. I just don't understand this. My wd tv live found my drives with no problem.

Are you certain you are connecting to the drive directly and not just the Airport itself? Also double check your username and password. To test mine, I connected through finder go->connect to server on my macbook. If you can directly connect to the drive here then you should be able to do it in boxee without an issue. If not, then you are doing something wrong somewhere. Sorry I can't be more help, these are all the steps I took to get it working and it works fine for me now :)

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I connected a separate USB HD to the box hoping for faster indexing but it refuses to display it. Has anyone else had this issue yet? If I go to sources it says a USB storage device has been connected but does not show it in the list. I can connect USB sticks and SD cards just fine, but this drive refuses to appear.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I've gone ahead and rolled our new boxee box back to 0.9, suddenly the hard drive is working with it without a problem. Some of the UI such as searching is not as nice as 1.0, and the whole interface is not quite as optimized, but so far it's an improvement. I guess I will see how it goes since I can always go back to 1.0 if needed. Maybe by the time I need to do that they will have a nice 1.1 ready to go.

Nall fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 12, 2010

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
No music option or photo option, you need to browse and play these files from the files browser, and there is no real support for them (no playlists, shuffle, etc for music) these features are re-coming soon.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
The actual home page of boxee has become so useless I'm not sure why they left an icon for it. You can access all the boxee categories, but not the drill-down menus, so if you want to get to your movies and you click on movies, you end up on the "what's popular" list. You need to open the guide to get to where you want to go. Since the queue (now "watch later") and application shortcuts are gone from the home page, all that's really left is a menu that only goes to "popular content" and a "suggestions" section that gives me random shows from a few canadian tv networks.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Esk1 posted:

all the features from .9 are there just a bit streamlined. When you add a show to favorites it automatically puts new eps on your queue. I've been talking on twitter to the boxee guys and they have been very helpful if you have any questions

All the features from .9 are not there. Aside from the unintended broken elements like the queue, there are lots of missing elements such as continuous media scanning, mark as watched/unwatched, music player functions like playlists etc, a youtube app, etc.

I am a bit more forgiving about the bugs, even though I should be angrier about them. After all this is a 1.0 release and not a 1.0 beta 1. I just hope they get them fixed soon because the broken subtitles and broken queue is pretty bad.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Greenfield posted:

Just got mine. I am trying to set it up to access my shares on my W7 PC. It can see the PC just fine, but when trying to connect it asks for a user/pass. I have it set to not require a user/pass on my PC, so I don't know why it is asking for one.

I have tried my logon credentials and it doesn't work. Any ideas?

There are lots of threads on the official forums about this, there might be some help for you there: http://forums.boxee.tv/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I don't see why you'd mess with Boxee Box unless you have cash to burn. I currently have a PS3/360 in my main living room area. I bought the Boxee Box for my bedroom television.

Just my opinion, but I think that even in it's not-quite-working state, boxee is pretty far ahead of a PS3 media server. It would be farther ahead of they fixed all the bugs they introduced in 1.0 too.

Has anyone tried connecting a drive directly to the box then accessing it through boxee's built in SMB server? My drive shows up but only says it has 310 megs free, not sure if this is yet another bug or if I'm doing something wrong here.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

ohhhlethal posted:

I never post in the AV forums but I am just chiming in that my boxee box has returned to it's box. It's going back. It's absolute garbage.

my main gripe: Can't connect to a secure wireless connection.

I think either your box is defective or you are doing something wrong... There are a lot of gripes with this thing but I definitely did not have this issue.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Update is pretty nice. I am still missing the ability to add folder.jpg for tv shows like you can with movies, and also the ability to mark tv shows as watched manually, but at least using the SMB server doesn't cause the box to take up 99% CPU all the time anymore. Also hourly scanning isn't bugging out and requiring a reset anymore.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
The new firmware has somewhat-functional NFO support which is nice. It never seems to want to pick up the NFOs though, which is annoying and hopefully will be fixed before release. It did let me organize Firefly into the DVD order instead of the air order, even if all the thumbnails are still wrong.

New browser is nice and speedy. New scrubbing controls are better, though they are causing some duplication of the buttons on the remote now. Volume control through the remote is gone, side to side jogs the video instead. The center button pauses and opens the OSD, the back button opens or closes the OSD, and the only way to leave a video is to navigate to 'stop' so no more confirm popup.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

What? I dont see a mention of a new release on the site except whats coming out in May.

Sorry I should have said the beta of the firmware that is coming out in may, not the new firmware. It was just released to testers a couple days ago.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

TraderStav posted:

Whew! Thought I was going to have to have an emergency wife re-training!

It's not too bad for re-learning so far, most of the controls are at least very similar. It's going to do bad things for obsessive-compulsive media organizers though, at least it accepts XBMC NFO format as well, so you don't need to make all the files manually.

The settings page also has a new option for 'clear all old media images' which I thought would let it recache the thumbnails. What it actually does is go through your local content and delete all the folder.jpg files, ugh.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I was having an issue with my SMB share and emailing back and forth with a dev to try and get it fixed. He said it was fixed in the next build which would be going out to beta users soon. I asked to be in the beta program and he added me. This was way back when the box first came out, but I assume the process is similar.

I suggest sending a message to @tsella (Tom Sella, Boxee co-founder) on twitter and asking if you can join the early access tester program.

Be warned that the betas are often broken in places, especially lately when they are actually using the beta testers to find problems instead of just letting us see it a few days early.

Nall fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 10, 2011

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Mike Hock posted:

I just went through all my media and created NFO and folder.jpg files with Ember Media Manager so I really hope that feature actually works in the final release because a lot of the IMDB information in Boxee's version of the database is insufficient. Stuff like missing cast information and running time is really bad when that same information is on the site.

Nall, do you know if the folder.jpg works in Files view? I have a lot of anime that doesn't get organized in the Movies or TV shows section and it would be nice to have at least a thumbnail of the show to the right so it doesn't look so barren in that area. Also, does the thumbnail caching affect the thumbnails that are generated in the Files area?

I'm sure they will have some of the NFO issues ironed out for final, it's the main new feature for this release.

folder.jpg still isn't showing at all for tv shows for some reason, but you can change the images with the NFO files now. If you change the thumb then it does show in the files area, but only when you highlight the file but only for unidentified files, and even then it shows the wrong aspect ratio so you only really get the middle of the image. Are you intentionally not identifying those shows? Because if it's just boxee failing to ID them, you can NFO the whole thing down to an episode level. If you were watching them from the files browser intentionally, it doesn't look like that functionality got improved at all.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

Yeah, I have the iOS app but haven't tried moving the cursor around... Gonna wait til the Habs/Bruins game is over.

Prepare yourself for disappointment over the iOS app. I suggest attaching a mouse instead.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Can you use a mouse with the Boxee Box?

The iOS app hasn't seen an update in a year. They have spent all their time working on the new iPad app, which may not support video streaming with the boxee box (only PCs running the streaming server). I hope that isn't true, but with Boxee it's always a good idea to expect the worst.

As mentioned you can use a mouse with the box but it behaves very oddly and sometimes gets lost. I would love it if they would alter the arrow buttons on the keyboard-side of the remote to be actual arrow buttons instead of the world's worst cursor control. The browser doesn't even work correctly with Youtube XL because of a lack of proper arrows.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I don't use any apps except netflix and the browser, you can't log into it and use it as a second monitor, I'm not sure what you mean by third party sites. I have that Mac widget running but I don't know why since I never use it, I just use the remote.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

So like, I read that they're going to be removing the ability to change the volume from the remote in this next update. Who in the flying gently caress thought that was a good idea? I use that all the time. Why remove functionality?

What does it currently? Is it side-to-side on the remote? If so, that now jogs the video forwards and backwards.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

VERTiG0 posted:

Up and down on the d-pad while you're watching something.

In which case I am sad to inform you that the current beta build has removed that functionality and replaced it with nothing at all.

That's right, up and down during a video now does nothing :v:

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

tgijsola posted:

It's especially bad because the boxee remote is RF so there's literally no way to program universal remotes to work with it.

You can buy a media center remote kit that comes with a USB receiver. Supposedly that lets you control it with your own universal remote, but I don't know how successful it is.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Reboot the box and try again.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Der Shovel posted:

Reboot physically or just shut down and turn on again? I usually shut mine down for the night, so the latter's been tried.

Those are basically the same things if you have been actually powering down the box and not just setting it to sleep. If that doesn't work and you don't want to re-add the media source to fix it, I suggest waiting a few days for the 1.1 release and see if that fixes the problem for you.

On that note, the final 1.1 release should be out in the next few days, since the final beta release just came out. It has a significant amount of bug fixes, but comes with a number of odd behaviors that have persisted throughout all the beta releases, mainly relating to NFO support. So all in all, it's your basic boxee release, but the bug fixes from 1.0 are quite welcome.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Well the NFO support is there, it's just a bit twitchy in my experience. Like with the folder.jpg, boxee desperately needs some way to rescan the data. If you add a show and then notice it wasn't automatically identified, or the episodes are out of order etc, you can create the NFO to fix it. The problem is you can't force it to rescan at all, so you need to wipe and rescan everything or it won't read your NFO files, or read only some of them, or read only the episode descriptions but miss the order and titles, and so on.

I tried the trick I used with folder.jpg on movies, renaming the folder the movie is in and rescanning, but it doesn't seem to work with the NFOs. So it's not like one step forward two steps back, it's more like a half-step forward with a somewhat confusing implementation.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I noticed this behavior on the boxee box my parents own, but I don't know what causes it. I could not get it to fix at all, it just refused to play the video normally and my parents insisted it was fine a few days ago. Wait for 1.1 and hope it fixes it maybe.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
It's out but not showing up for everyone yet, if you don't see it you can download it and install it via USB manually.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
I've had the update for a few weeks without any major issues, if that helps. Major new issues I mean, some of the old issues are still there.

I get pretty frustrated with Boxee whenever things don't work correctly, then I look at their forums and suddenly can't bring myself to be mad anymore. I think it's an instinctive desire to not have anything in common with those hysterical idiots.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
The Youtube app is the google tv one I believe. It is pretty laggy, but it's still nicer than leanback IMO. If you prefer leanback or youtube XL you can get to both from the browser, which now supports bookmarks for easy visiting. XL would be pretty perfect for Boxee if any of the buttons on the remote acted as arrows instead of a mouse.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

iceslice posted:

I'm a little disappointed with the boxee community. The majority of the users sound like hysterical entitled idiots. On the dev side, removing the volume function seems really silly. They have to know that not all media plays at the same levels, and a lot of users (like me) only use a boxee, TV and nothing else. Either way removing features without consulting the users seems pretty dumb.

Unfortunately the terrible boxee user base makes this pretty hard to do. Hell, some of them are still pushing for a return to the horrible 0.9 interface. That said, boxee's development cycle is extremely bizarre and they do tend to remove features for no apparent reason. Of the 5 bugs I reported during the 1.1 beta, not a single one was addressed, but they did add additional languages in subsequent beta patches.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

If you want to request a feature open a ticket on jira.

Unless this changed recently, they closed their jira to new accounts to prevent everyone from filing bug reports.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

AlexF posted:

I still like it though. With iPad support, however, I'd like it even more...

It's still unconfirmed weather or not the boxee box will actually have this support. They have been very coy about saying if the box will run the media server that the iPad app will use or if you will need to run it on a separate system. This would essentially making it no different than any other iPad streaming service like Air Video.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

jonathan posted:

Girlfriend told me that there was a forced update on the boxee today. It was current stable as of yesterday. Anyone know of a press release or feature list for the newest update ?

Not sure if this is the same version you are talking about, or the one upcoming (I assume it's the same) but here is what I have:

code:
New Features / Enhancements

Support for iPhone remote to move the mouse in browser.

Bug fixes

Thumbnails that were stored on users storage were sometimes deleted.
    File path was not shown before playing local media file in some language settings.
    Pushing "Back" button on the “Identify Screen” (if there is an .nfo file), skips ahead instead of canceling.
    Volume control was slow to respond in some occasions.
    French preferred audio language ignored when playing .mkv files.
    Invalid .nfo files cause Boxee to use the details from the last valid .nfo file.
    Boxee does not play Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS sound through some receivers connected through HDMI.
    Several small localization bugs.
    Audio drops on mkv files with FLAC audio.
    Ejecting devices shows the device multiple times in the eject dialog.
    While in browser, focus on a widget causes the keyboard to be disabled in an HTML page.
    Favorite apps not appearing some times.
    No audio pass-through when using the TV to pass audio via optical cable.
    Various fixes with playback of Adobe Flash videos with graphics overlay.
    Some wireless networks were marked as secure during configuration while they were in fact open.
The mouse thing is pretty nice if you use the browser a lot.
Edit: And own an iPhone.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Laserface posted:

On boxee remote for iphone - does this apply to boxee box, or just PC based boxee? the app description doesnt even mention boxee box, and all the screenshots look as if its just PC based installs.

Works fine with boxee of all flavors.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

jonathan posted:

Is there any way to get 5.1 audio from netflix over the box ? It lists some movies as "HD" "5.1" but they still come through in stereo. I've heard the ps3 does 1080p and 5.1 in it's netflix app...

Netflix has a deal with Sony to allow the PS3 to be the only one that gets 5.1, so other devices like the boxee box are stuck in stereo.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Misanthrope posted:

I'm actually having some audio sync issues ever since the latest patch came out.

Usually exiting and resuming the video fixes it up, but it's the first time I've noticed it since the update came out.

This happens to any video that I pause, since last patch.

Nall
Jun 26, 2000
Beta for Boxee 1.2 is out, here are the patch notes:

code:
New Features / Enhancements

Networking & File Playback

Added support for Apple Filing Protocol (AFP)
    Added support for Network File System (NFS)
    Enhanced support for SMB/CIFS shares
    Consolidated network shares under the server name

Interface

Ability to filter premium content sources like Netflix, HBOGo, VUDU, etc. in library
    Reordered Apps library
        New “Featured Apps” section
        Updated App categories 
    Support for seek within a video on first right/left click (when OSD is still not open)
    Seek forward is now 10 seconds instead of 5 seconds
    “Jump to letter” sidebar in libraries now shows current letter location 

Browser

Improved HTML 5 video support

Settings

Resetting display settings leaves previous setting data intact
    Add support for HDMI output YUV422 and YUV444
    Add support for HDMI output 30 and 36 bit color
    HDMI “Black Level” setting now RGB “High and Low”

Bug fixes
Networking & File Playback

Problem with manually resolving a movie that has NFO file
    Fixed adult filter for local content in manual resolve HLS Playback ends abruptly
    SMB: boxee crash when selecting "No results found"
    "Resume playback from [end of video time marker]" shows up on videos that have been previously played all the way to the very end.
    When trying to play a movie again after it ended the play dialog offers to resume the movie from the movies last second
    Soundtrack loses Dolby Digital indication every 10s, without any relation to commercials spots
    SAMBA Authentication to Servers Accepting NTLMv2 Only Fails
    Boxee doesn't resolve TV Shows with ID located only in the tvshow.nfo
    .m2ts Thumbnails Are Gray (When Viewing In Files)
    After clicking play (from paused state) the OSD should immediately disappear
    TV Show files that are deleted aren't removed from the library
    Video file playing across network stops playing
    Video files containing "@" in the file path are not identified 

Apps

Videos on Vimeo do not play and the device has to be restarted manually
    Vimeo - couch mode freeze after 10-15 minutes of playback, also freeze for a long time between videos
    API Command SeekTime() is not working 

Libraries

SnagFilms Documentaries playback stops prior to loading 2nd commercial
    Local TV shows take an extremely long time to load
    Watched TV Show Trigger not working
    Unable to remove a show from favorites when there is no content for the show 

Browser

Default focus when getting to exit confirmation in browser should be Exit not Stay
    HTML video tag causes page redraw issues... until video starts playing
    [url]http://tv.clicker.com[/url] crashes boxee browser
    CNBC online video does not play
    [url]http://zattoo.com/view[/url] will not open in the browser 

Localization

·      Localization: GERMAN Replace "Bewertung" for MPAA-Rating with "FSK"

Misc.

Various Fixes to minimize Plasma Burn in
    Additional Keyboard names are not according the languages names but only in English (using the directory name)
    Increase subtitle sync limit from 50 to 200
    Boxee Box appears to be clipping black & white levels 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Seventyfour posted:

OK, I've tested out the Boxee Windows App, and the music browser for local files works fine. Question -- is there a way to shuffle songs or set up playlists?

The windows app is massively different than the box app, but I believe what you want is not doable.

• Locked thread