Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

suddenlyissoon posted:

I would imagine not. Especially when you can just download Boxee for free and do the very same thing on your HTPC.

Especially since you can setup Boxee to launch from an icon within WMC, which is great to watch/record live TV and let Boxee handle everything else.

So I got to play with this at CES, and while it's cool, it's no different than putting a computer next to your TV with the freely available software. The price is what will make it sell, since it's pretty astonishing to find something that can do this much for this cheaply supported by a major company (i.e., not like popcorn hour).

My favorite part though was by far the remote control. The buttons are very clicky, and feel like a good mobile phone keyboard. Kind of like the sidekick's. I asked if it would be available as a separate purchase, and the Boxee people said yes, so if you just want the remote and not the whole Boxee box, you'll be able to get one. I know I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haywire posted:

A shame it lacks composite / I have a lovely old TV. Also although it looks freakin' awesome, where the hell would you put it?

You should look into a WD TV unit, then. As far as placement goes, while it is shaped rather bizarrely, it's quite small. Shouldn't be much of an issue sticking it somewhere next to the TV.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haywire posted:

What exactly does the box offer over the WD TV Live?

Better UI, vastly increased internet content, great remote control, web browsing (limited utility), app store, SDK.

• Locked thread