Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
If the software matures just a little bit (or is substantially different than the free download) then I could see getting one of these for my mother. Boxee is a lot prettier and easier to understand than XBMC out-of-the-box.

I'm interested in knowing how the actual device performs. Reviews, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Except a Boxee is $200. I think it would be difficult to build a custom-made HTPC for that price.

It's possible but requires a certain amount of work and knowledge. Just to check whether it's possible I gatheres all needed HTPC parts in Newegg and ended up with the grand total of $198.95 plus shipping (no KB, mouse or remote included though).

For great many people an out-of-the-box solution is just better. If the software finally works it'd be a great thing, XBMC is just infuriating in many ways.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

I'd love to see this parts list, thanks! And without a remote, that does not equal this device.

True, and the parts list is not optimal by any means. But for comparative purposes:

GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H mobo
Patriot 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz
APEX DM-317-A case + 275W power

I had an open box 500G hard disk when doing the parts picking, but:

Newegg.com posted:

SAMSUNG HD502HJ has been removed from shopping cart due to quantity limitation/insufficient stock.

Replace it with:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB

and the total price becomes $214.95 (even less if you're willing to use a 80Gb drive but come on). If you can live with 1G of memory there's a variety of $18 1G DDR2 sticks available, total price being $200.95 + delivery.

As operating system you're forced to use Linux since there is no way you can add a Windows license into the mix without blowing the budget.

Since it's a computer I'd rather have a wireless keyboard (ione KBP20 with integrated joystick that functions as a mouse, $31.99 extra) than a remote but that's just me. A remote that works with both XBMC and Linux is $21.23 more (AVS Gear HA-IR01SV). So, a grand total of $222.18 for the cheapest possible build (everyone has a keyboard they can borrow for installing OS, right?) I'd throw in another G of memory and buy a bigger disk straight off if I were to actually build this, raising the price by about $70. Maybe throw in wireless for $10 more.

Does Boxee Box wireless-n work well enough to be usable? There's no way I can sell 10 meter CAT5 cables to women in this family. Also, does it index from USB hard drives or memory sticks?

Edit: Also, the big one: does it do 1080p smoothly?

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 12, 2010

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Fatal posted:

See, and that's where this thing shines.

I totally agree that it's way easier to buy and set up a Boxee, that's what I said in the first message. That's why I'm interested in seeing how it fares in comparison. Building a HTPC from scratch is a completely different beast in all respects. When my mom comes to me asking what she should get I'd vastly prefer to recommend a Boxee (Google TV, WDTV, whatever comes out on top) to a computer.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Anyone in this thread with the experience from both Boxee Box (+ 2G USB HD) and HTPC? What's the difference?

• Locked thread