Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I know the post said "your choice of storage device" but I want to make sure that this means USB2 based DVD drives as that's pretty much is how I store content. That's kind of the one thing that's put me off to boxes like this as they tend to freak out if it's not a hard drive at least in the limited experience I've had with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Lazy Eye posted:

That's what I thought at first, but the more I looked into it, the more it appears that it's going to come up short. At CES, they demoed a 10mbps stream. 40mbps is pretty much the minimum capability to decode unmolested blu-ray content, so if your product can do it, why demo it at one quarter of its capability? My guess is that it's going to be a bit more capable than Apple TV (without the Broadcom upgrade), but most 1080p content is going to have to be re-encoded at a lower bitrate.

My opinion is, if you have 40-50mbps steams, then you should have a blu-ray player. The biggest thing that's going to trip people up is playing content that doesn't fit a profile spec. Nvidia has been able to at least get it so that as long as it's close you may be ok but there's still a ton of things out that are not compliant. Either because people are using tools that can't do it, or just don't care to do a compliant stream.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Smythe posted:

I live in Los Angeles so it'd work, but given that it's got a monthly fee (something I'm trying to avoid in my cable-cutting adventure) I reckon it's high time I (we) start getting serious about the uber-sperg contraption that is MythTV.

I'm happy that they're updating Flash on the BB, girlfriend liked to use MTV.com.

Did anyone notice HBOGo like disappeared into the ether? I Googled it and apparently it's just like, gone? That was one of the reasons I bought the drat thing. I'm not too awfully bummed as the HBOGo interface was unbelievably bad, but wtf?

Unless MythTV starts supporting Cablecard or can support "IP-capable Clear QAM boxes" like the new Boxee box can it's dead in the water for anything other than OTA. Hell, the way that Microsoft is acting, I'm kind of wondering if Media Center will even support it. http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/1/3129845/comcast-boxee-encrypted-cable-television

It's something that people who've really been following HTPCs for a while knew was coming but I really hoped that someone would come up with a good workaround, but really IMHO the only people standing is MediaPortal and MythTV, and I doubt either will ever get Cablelabs certification.

• Locked thread