Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Overall the feeling I get playing with this thing is really close to how I felt with my old Xbox running XBMC back in the day. It tries to do a lot and some of it is really unpolished if not outright broken. The polished stuff feels limited though so it's kind of catch-22.

I fiddled around with some apps on the main page, some work great but others are randomly broken. I definitely had some where the video just refused to play but since they were in the app box I couldn't just pop over to the website and see if the videos listed were even working on the site. The Boxee software supports homebrew apps too, if you happen to figure out that "repository" thing and get the big one added (there is really only one worth adding, that person adds all the apps from the others listed). Even then there are only about as many homebrew apps as there are 'regular' apps, and the homemade ones are way more broken more often.

The browser is kinda poo poo. There is no option to zoom or favorite a page, both of which the Wii had for gently caress's sake. The little remote is nice but there's no lighting, it runs on a tiny battery (so I'm obviously not meant to be tapping on it constantly) and I should be able to just bookmark a goddamn thing. If you want to be able to read sites switch manually back to a lower resolution (720p looks ok for me) and then switch back when you go back to streaming HD poo poo locally. An ad-heavy page like Ustream is going to stutter like hell so you may as well not even bother. Even if you do the page will invariably lock up after a while and either stop showing video or stop playing audio.

That leads to the next issue, there's some sort of leaking going on. A crashed app or a hung page sometimes will make the whole box malfunction until you soft reset it. Sometimes a stuck web page will reload fine if you back out one page and go forward, other times you can get things so screwed up that you had better just reset.

I haven't figured out the whole Samba thing with Win 7 yet, it keeps asking me for passwords on poo poo. I'll try the suggestions in that thread later but it's not a really comprehensive instruction from what I can tell. I already have Tversity and Playon running anyway so I just tried it out with those. I haven't got anything worth indexing but the videos I was having audio issues with on my Xbox played fine on the BB. Is there some benefit to me getting the Samba shares set up? I am not sure if it is even worth dicking around with.

Also I know this isn't really their fault, but I hate the stupid Leanback they put as the Youtube app. The 'your feed' always posts a bunch of friend-of-friend type poo poo and there's no option to just go through my subscriptions. I will probably just stick with clicking subscriptions off the main page through the browser.

The 'main' interface (tv shows, movies) is probably where they put in the most effort, I guess. I am sort of spoiled by Netflix's rating/suggestion code so I'm not terribly enthusiastic about just browsing through the categories. From what I could tell though there's plenty to look through there even though Netflix, Vudu and Hulu are all missing for now. I got so distracted by the other crap I was exploring that I haven't really given this part of the package much attention though. I did notice it pulls Fancast (cable company) pages as options so I imagine it's going to look super redundant if they get Hulu in there too.

Also for some retarded reason the RSS feeds you plug in on the Boxee web site don't seem to actually propogate to the machine. I see some sort of option in the settings for web server access, I will have to try that tonight and see if I can paste poo poo in from my computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

drat, guess I am lucky all I am getting is occasional stuttering and freezeups, I've always been able to power cycle the thing without bricking it. Though if it powers on at all try accessing the web page on port 8080, if that's still working you can download the logs from there.

Got the Samba shares working and I'm pretty drat impressed with the quality. I only had one video that stutters and I got some Blood Bowl videos that really look nice and readable in 720p. Hell, the thing even manages to play the audio off of .wtv files, which surprised the hell out of me given it's that proprietary Windows Media Center format. Of course the video didn't work but I'm thinking someone smarter would be able to fix that up with some sort of tweak. You can also turn on Windows file sharing on the Boxee itself, so you can move files freely over your network between any storage you plugged in and your computer. Pretty drat nice.

It's been a long time since I looked at XBMC apps so I just discovered the Navi-X thing, it's worth taking a look at that app just for the sheer amount of stuff people post on it. Just go into the pop-over guide screen, pick Apps then Repositories, and enter in https://www.navi-x.org/boxee as a new item (go up to the plus icon). If you sign up on http://navix.turner3d.net you can set up your own playlists too, so you can slap your own RSS feeds in there. At least it seems to me like Navi-X handles RSS way better than the Boxee's built in RSS app. I even put my Google Reader feed in there and it sent me to the web page when I clicked on a news story in the list. Of course if you don't want to share that poo poo to the world make sure to check the private checkbox.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

LiquidFusion posted:

What did you do that ended up working? I have the same problem, but everything I try turns out to be a complete failure
Uninstall Windows Live Essentials. Then it'll try installing Windows Live ID Assistant or some poo poo like that, you need to uninstall that too. Live Sync still shows on the list (even though I never used it) so you may be able to get away with putting that one in, it may only be the Passport poo poo that screws with guest access. The guest user needs to be enabled if it's not. Also use the simple sharing, right click a folder and hit share with, specific people, choose Everyone from the dropdown at the top and add, then confirm the dialog box.

It randomly stopped working on me at one point but that Live ID helper seemed to be the culprit, even without rebooting to finish uninstall it just magically started working again after getting rid of that crap. I don't know why Live ID is messing with file sharing anyway, that's some :tinfoil: poo poo right there.

Also reiterating to get the Navi-X thing, drat there is so much media posted on that it's scary.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The drat Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant keeps reinstalling itself. I think Pidgin is to blame since I have an MSN account on there, and it gave me an error when I stopped that service (though it didn't fix the sharing again until I uninstalled the program). So yeah, until they update the version of Samba on your box you'll have to choose between Boxee and MSN. To be fair it was a version update from this year so it's not like they're horrifyingly out of date, just months out of date.

Also if you want to telnet in and poke around the box (and break it if you're a dummyhead):

http://boxeeboxwiki.org/wiki/TelnetD

I get Siteadvisor warnings on that site but it just looks like a plain old wiki to me, so I'm not sure what the beef is.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BorderPatrol posted:

It's RF, and they're said they eventually plan on selling it seperately.
I hope they invest in some glow in the dark paint or something before they do. Or at least move the drat bottom row of keys back to the proper place, I am used to thumbtyping with it one over so I typo that row constantly on the remote. Bah, I'll probably just get one of those Rii keyboard/trackpad things they have been blabbing about on the Boxee forum.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well, the main problem is all that stuff you mentioned is hidden under the back/menu button after you go into something else. None of it is accessible under those nice friendly buttons at the main screen and the software makes no effort to educate you on it. For a box that tries to be a little more non-techie friendly that kind of stuff is bad.

Some controls to expand a flash movie on a page to full screen at will and possibly control which flash movies actually load and run would both be nice. Of course a full-screen-ify button would probably need another remote button and they've cornered themselves on that one. Even simple zoom controls would help as far as arrowing over and trying to hit that usually tiny fullscreen button on the flash movie itself. As far as web browsers go, other than having support for a later version of Flash, the Boxee browser is less feature-rich than the Wii.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Don Lapre posted:

The browser was never meant for web browsing, simply as a fallback for flash content.
Yeah, and I understand that. At the same time it's a terrible copout, especially if it doesn't work well for getting to that flash content. Makes me wish I knew enough to make my own apps.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mine has crashed and rebooted when I tried scanning something it didn't like. Go into the options and remove your sources and see if it calms down, then try to trace it to which share is making it blow up.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Well that one you stumped me on, I am far too lazy to have any Bluray files anyway. The actual forum post said "The version is currently in testing, and if all is well in the next couple of days, you will receive it as an automatic software update" so... yeah, I expect it in about a month :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Is the Revo even a viable option? I admit to knowing next to nothing about HTPCs but just trying to Google around for one so I'd have something to be bitter about, all I'm finding is out-of-stock pages and no-name webshops.

I'm satisfied with the Boxee so far, warts and all. I don't have a surround sound setup or any Blu-ray files, and the playback capability is at least better than the Xbox 360 I was using for UPnP streaming before. The only thing that really annoys me is the browser, which is improvable but I understand why they might not bother. There doesn't seem to be a rush of people moving to make apps for it like the old XBMC days though, so I'm not sure how much the library will stack up to other devices later on. Sort of like PlayOn, they had a rush of plugins and scripts being added monthly when it was new, and now most of those are dead and the influx of new or updated apps is barely a trickle.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ziploc posted:

People really need to test drive Boxee software on their laptops. If you like it on your laptop/PC, it will be perfect on their TV with a cheap PC or a Boxee Box.
Probably a nitpick, but isn't the downloadable software a completely different looking version than the Boxee Box? Still better than nothing but some found the new software different enough to be irritated with it. On the other hand it's not entirely fair to say you're stuck with what Boxee gives you, there is support for user-written apps and repositories. It's just that like XBMC scripts they haven't been coming out fast and furious and many are prone to freezes and crashes. But don't expect to just surf to your own favorite site in the meantime because the browser is a rudimentary sketchy piece of poo poo without even so much as a bookmark list. Not to mention the amount of flash ads on many web pages will bring the relatively low-powered box to its knees if it is trying to display them all along with the video you want to watch. Poor thing needs a flashblocker more than the computers that actually have them.

I really kind of hate the keyboard on the back of the BB remote, the keys are mushy and you can't see it much in the dark. Probably worse is that the layout seems to fight off touch-typing with the smattering of active keys the same size as the regular and the bottom row shifted one from the position I'm used to on other mini-boards.

I still don't regret getting the Box and they are making improvements, but the Roku is great right now and at a pretty irresistible price point. Hell, get the one without wireless and save even more since wireless is pretty much poo poo for streaming video. Of course if everyone waits who knows how long they will be around to improve the drat Boxee...

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ziploc posted:

I like the idea of the remote. But I have a feeling the tiny keys labeled with gray type on gray keys on a black remote will be cumbersome for my father who will use this more than any of us and will usually be in a dark room.
You could use other keyboards with it, I just haven't gotten around to getting one for it yet. I don't know which ones are supported but I am guessing any regular USB keyboard (wired or wireless) should work just fine from what I've read. It even works with that weird mini-keyboard-and-touchpad thing people have posted about from some import site. However don't expect the Box to be free of drops either. I like to watch Ustream and this drat thing just herks and blorks at random intervals, then after an hour or two of streaming altogether freezes. Not to say that I never froze my Roku but it took a lot more effort. The web browser just needs so much more drat work though and the apps community just isn't there yet.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Pissflaps posted:

What kind of remotes are you used to?
Well, which would YOU rather have for about $40?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00480OSVK/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DMRJTG/

:smith:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

^^^ Yeah haha good luck

quote:

two broken boxees
If you can, try the directions at http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/328816-how-do-i-manually-update-the-boxee-software for reinstalling the software. Also try a different TV/power outlet/etc., since getting two defective units is pretty unlikely and you probably have been setting it up on the same stuff each time. If you can take those out of the equation it'll be less useless emails going between you and the support people trying to get you to eliminate the possibility.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, they're really a small software company so they have jack all for a support team. I only found out about the recovery mode thing by reading their forums as it is, even though it's on their knowledge base it's kind of buried. If you have more than one HDMI socket or cord to try do that as well, but you're probably just poo poo out of luck. Unfortunately D-Link makes the hardware and their support is not known for being super either.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Not much hope of getting the OP updated, hell, it has screenshots from the PC version and the current UI doesn't even look like that. Looks like he kind of gave up on it in September. Would be nice if Boxee had stickied a thread with the common crash bugs on their forum instead of leaving people to stumble through other complaints to find it. I think they might even have a bug repository somewhere but I couldn't find the link again. Of course hopefully they fix that upnp one the next time they update, whenever the hell that is. Some people are still wishing for one at the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

On the bright side I can hope that since they took so much time to put in Vudu and Netflix that they do it right and integrate it with their library. Being able to look through all the media at once is the only thing they have that I don't see others doing yet, even though they still have a ton of content trapped away in apps.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AlexF posted:

Watching Walking Dead everything looked and sounded great but during the quieter moments I noticed the fan. It's not loud, just annoying. I turned on my PS3 for comparison. It is way louder than the Boxee box, but this high pitched noise cut right through it. I figure that's the reason it was sent back originally and hope a new model will fix that.

I think I could live with it after a few days but it doesn't hurt to at least try, right? Does anybody else have this problem? I really liked everything else about it so I don't really wanna replace it with something else...
There were a couple other people in the thread that complained about the fan but not many. I am guessing D-link just got a bum batch in there somewhere. The high pitched whine is probably the sound of something out of whack in that fan that's going to fail soon enough anyway. My unit definitely had plastic protecting film on the shiny parts when I pulled it out though so also look for that on your replacement 'new' one. I don't have a problem with my fan at all but then I am used to the Xbox which is a goddamn windtunnel by comparison.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MMD3 posted:

so I just started setting up my new Boxee and am trying to point it to my local files. Why is it prompting me for a username/password when I select my PC (it's showing up as a samba share)? I made sure my media folders are shared with everyone and can't figure out why it wants a username/password.
Probably just best to read through here: http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=22107

If you're on win 7 you may also want to make sure you have a guest account, that seems to be another issue that affects it besides the crazy multiple-screens-of-sharing-settings crap.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MMD3 posted:

can anyone tell me if there's a way to take a thread here on SA, say the post youtube videos thread and turn it into an RSS feed that can be fed to Boxee and strip everything but the videos posted?
There are plenty of browser plugins for ripping videos off a page but I can't say I ever saw one that made RSS output. That said if they would make a public API for "watch later" some intrepid programmer could make a plugin or program to scrape a page and put items in there. I'm guessing the odds of that happening aren't high due to the support issues though. Probably the same reason they put in such a bare bones web browser.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

MMD3 posted:

ruh-roh, what does this mean for Boxee Box sales?

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/20/you-asked-for-it-xbmc-for-appletv2-ipad-iphone4/
I'm guessing that means, in one step, Apple TV has more apps and sources than Boxee will ever have?

Goddammit.

vvv Well, in some perverse way that's a relief. I like to watch a lot of flash content anyway. I could save some of it and serve it from the computer but that wouldn't help with the justin.tv and ustream stuff I like to watch.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2011

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VERTiG0 posted:

Anybody else think the Youtube Leanback and VEVO apps are absolute loving garbage? Tremendously sluggish performance and the worst loving UI ever.
I can only stand the Youtube leanback if i set up a playlist ahead of time on my PC, which is kinda sad. I can't even get a plain list of subscription videos like I can on the web page (though who knows how long THAT will last), but their dumb auto-feed includes all the random poo poo my subscription people favorited as well. And yeah, it's unresponsive and sluggish.

I realize they insist the browser is a fallback, but I really don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for some bookmarks :argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

devmd01 posted:

BUT THE BOXEE BOX DOESN'T SUPPORT MY RIDICULOUS EDGE CASE THAT MAYBE 5 PEOPLE IN THE WORLD HAVE, I EXPECT PERFECTION FROM A DEVICE THAT PLAYS EVERYTHING RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX FOR ONLY $200 I AM SENDING MINE BACK TO AMAZON
My pet edge case right now is the terrible font support. It's scheduled to be fixed but if it happens to you it's possible you won't even know why. Something about the font support with unsupported foreign characters makes the video freeze up when the box processes them. Even if it doesn't display them on screen. Even if you wouldn't know they were being processed because the Ustream app is dumb and connects to chat in the background without you knowing. :saddowns: Not that I need to watch some random Japanese dude play video games, but I thought it was neat that I could even do that on my TV.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

^^
The naming thing is a pretty infamous problem with this box, I would start with http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/42693-correctly-naming-local-media-files and if you can't get their examples to work hit up jira.boxee.tv and look through the issues people are having with it. Personally I don't have anything worth scanning so I haven't wrestled with it.

Fatal posted:

Holy poo poo there's a ustream app? Sweet.
If you like that there's also a Justin TV app, though it's actually an app with a few other things in it. It's the "live tv" app on the "dir.streamfree.tv" repository. No chat in that one but the chat in the Ustream one is pretty broken anyway.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ThePhreak posted:

(regarding user repos)
Is this possible on a Boxee Box?
Yeah, it's just hopelessly buried in the interface. Go to the menu that pops up across the top of the screen when you try to back out of things, then go to Apps and one of the choices below should be something like 'Repositories'. Open that one and you get a blank page with a plus icon on it; choose that and you can input a user repository. Streamfree and Navi-X are the only ones that I give a drat about but there are a bunch of others on the forums and there's a kind of old list of them on the knowledge base.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

devmd01 posted:

That would take a good bit more horsepower to do pan/scan/whatever than I think the boxee box is capable of.
No, you can set it when you're playing a video and go through the options. I don't remember any way to set it beforehand, but it should at least remember what you picked for the videos you played. It's just stretching and zooming, not anything especially fancy but you can fiddle with the settings and fine tune the zoom as well.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 19, 2011

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VERTiG0 posted:

Anybody know of an alternative way to control the Boxee Box other than the included remote? Using the d-pad to navigate websites for streaming content is the most painful loving experience ever, especially when the browser lets every popup ever go all the gently caress over the place and oh god i want to shoot the fuckers who made this poo poo uuuuuuugh fix it and give me a remote with a small thumb trackpad at least or a loving joystick i dont care but get rid of this piece of poo poo d-pad its god loving awful
There's a little wireless keyboard thing you can get called a Rii mini. It should be great, it has a keyboard and touch pad and backlight and all that poo poo. Problem is the one I got works like poo poo, most of the keys I press don't even register until I mash them repeatedly. I'm much less than the 30 meter max distance away from the receiver so I am guessing I just got a defective one, but I haven't gotten around to trying to figure out how to return it. :saddowns:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VERTiG0 posted:

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Can you use a mouse with the Boxee Box?
Yeah, they don't make a point of it but it works with pretty much any generic USB keyboard and/or mouse. Word of warning though, the UI does not expect a mouse, since the remote has you dragging around the pointer with the arrow keys. From my experience the end result is if you're mousing around when there's no pointer on the screen you can get the cursor stranded off screen, unable to interact, and have to back out or even reboot to get it back.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wish their updater didn't check once a millennium by default. I was still struggling with the old bad foreign character support and flash ad shittiness last night and didn't know I could update. So yeah, it took them about half a year to fix poo poo that the browser on my PC has no trouble with. Probably my fault for enjoying Ustream and similar poo poo. Did end up seeing the new Youtube app, but it didn't even dawn on me that they pushed out something besides new app links. :saddowns:

As for the volume thing it cracks me up that the problem still hasn't been solved in general in the industry. Now every big TV in the store has Internet crap built directly into it, but they can't master an old rear end problem like volume normalizing because if they get it right people wouldn't be blasted out of their seat by lovely commercials. Because the best way to sell your new scented candle is by startling me the gently caress out with your shouting, right.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I guess the new firmware is hosed again. I don't really want to wade through 40 pages of replies but it wouldn't update automatically and there's already a thread posting instructions on how to remove it:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=35225

Anyone brave enough to read that pile of spam they call a forum and find out what is broken this time?

edit: oh hey, I found it in a comment on the blog post:

quote:

With the change where True HD no longer decoded to multi PCM, but rather downmixed to 2.0, Boxee Box is now incapable of providing ANY HD audio streams without problems. Bitstreaming of DTSMA and Dolby TrueHD do not work correctly (constant dropouts). I find it ridiculous that Boxee says they find it hard to reproduce (and by inference to fix) when pretty much every HD audio user on the Boxee Box Owner thread on AVSForum can reproduce it with virutally any HD audio track.
I will try to figure out how to avoid upgrading the firmware.

With this new firmware, the Box is unusable to me. I’ve also read that DTS core tracks are no longer extracted from DTSMA tracks, but instead output as stereo as well now too. That’s just ridiculous. If true, there is NO WAY to get multichannel audio from the Box, much less HD audio as was a promised feature from Day 1, unless you’ve retained the DD5.1 or a separate DTS track in your MKV or ISO. Most of us don’t do that for DTS encoded movies because of the extra space would be waste.
Also http://jira.boxee.tv/browse/BOXEE-9752

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 13, 2011

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TraderStav posted:

Avoiding the update until I hear some success stories from my trusted goons.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever gotten the Justin.TV feeds in the LiveTV app to work? After the ad I just get a still on the screen...
These worked before, I used to watch them all the time. If I find out the update borked them I'm gonna have to roll back. :sigh:

Also the update brought back the problem of the box not shutting down after giving it the command and the screen going blank that used to happen to me occasionally. Not a big problem but still irritating.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DaWolfey posted:

Anyone know any good app repositories for whatever might be out there ?
Basically the only ones I use are

dir.Streamfree.tv
repository.boxee.thinkonezero.com
navi-x.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/boxee/

And actually those last two are supposed to be in the dir.streamfree.tv anyway as they made it a sort of short list. The post at http://streamfree.tv/boxee-repos/ has all the various horrible links to repo stuff but the above are really the only ones worth adding unless you speak something besides English.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Not to mention the drat thing was discontinued super quick. I moved about three years ago and in that time BB was released and entirely dumped. If I had bought a low spec used PC and remade it as an HTPC at that time instead of the Box, I probably wouldn't even have the problems I'm having since my regular PC actually has a proper web browser that can handle pages with dumb custom scrollbars. But no, I wanted the easy way out :sigh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jonathan posted:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f
I'd like to hear back after you've played with it for a while and see how you like it. I don't really need to modify mine since I gave in and got myself a used laptop for like $100 that does more than the Boxee, but I'm still considering giving the old thing to someone as a gift.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deong posted:

And I assume everyone saw, but Boxee.tv forums were hacked and lost everyones email/pass.
Those forums were about worthless since nobody cares about the poor thing anymore anyway. Thanks for the link for the XBMC install, since I've gone months without using the drat thing and I haven't been able to drag the rest of my family out of the stone age (as far as I know none of them have a TV with an HDMI port yet) I might fiddle with that later.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Better yet, I got one of those combo deals from Comcast with some TV included and they give me a lovely little box that plays the local channels in lovely blurry SD quality. You gotta pay an extra charge or two to get ANYTHING in HD, even if it comes over the air that way. I actually ended up running an amplified antenna just so I could get those channels in HD on the rare occasion I actually want to watch something live nearby.

The Boxee TV thing I got is just a tuner so it won't help you if you can't get the TV in your room in the first place. An amplified antenna somewhere near the wall closest to the exterior of the building is probably the best you're gonna manage unless you pony up to Comcast or a competitor.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah just buy an amplified antenna. Amazon makes one for like $62. I just bought one and it works fine.
On the plus side, if you can get that working in one room and you've got a LAN set up you can throw an HDHomeRun of some variety on there and bam, access on all the computers (and even some TVs if you get a version that does DLNA). So right now I have this hosed up setup where I can't watch the HD broadcast TV in the room that has the antenna but I have it everywhere else.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Woah, that's actually kinda cool. I definitely need to check to see if my TVs have DNLA then because right now I only have the antenna hooked up to one TV.
Yeah, and you have to make sure you get the type of HDHomeRun that does the DLNA if that's what you plan to use. I have an old one that only supports computers connecting but for how little I use it I don't really give a poo poo, and it was a nice bargain bin find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deong posted:

A friend of mine has a https://simple.tv. Its basically a self owned aereo system.
Heh, and of course that's from the same hardware maker as the HDHomeRun. So I guess they have even more advanced stuff out there now, neat.

• Locked thread