Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

That list is old and a lot of things on the Boxee Box section is wrong. And it also references the old Apple TV, not the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
This thing does not want to show my drives from my USB hub connected to my Airport Extreme. You click Network -> Airport Extreme -> and then its just blank.

The Youtube app sucks rear end. I have to turn off the subtitles for every movie I play, there's no universal setting to shut them off.

I'm having buyer's remorse.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

Nall posted:

Do you normally have issues with your USB hub connected drives? If you can see them on your mac/pc then all you need to do to connect them to boxee is enter the address manually in sources including the drive path. For me it was smb://10.0.1.1/STORAGE with the username and password for the drive.

Boxee seems to have issues opening the airport extreme itself to see all the drives inside it, connecting directly to the drive fixed that problem for me and it's been smooth sailing since then (it took a long time to index the drive so be ready for that).

I don't even see a way to manually add a drive with Boxee 1.0. Where is that option?

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

Nall posted:

settings > file sources > add sources

scroll to the bottom (if you have a long list) to "manually enter IP / Name..."

It's worth noting (if this matters to you) that the boxee box runs a SMB share server as well, and if you set up the box to go into power saving mode after like 15 minutes of inactivity, it virtually shuts off but keeps the SMB active. So you could plug the drive directly into it as well and still use it as a network share. OPTIONS.

Ok thanks for the location. Unfortunately, I keep getting connection timed out when adding a drive. I just don't understand this. My wd tv live found my drives with no problem.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Well I got my Airport Extreme drives finally working by making guests have read access. Now its scanning my 4 drives.

I do like the identify option so you can search and tell it what movie it is.

And I have a lot of ISO rips from DVDs, and I do like that it grouped all my DVD sets into one option - one thing I can't change is the way it classifies them. I have a lot of TV sets ripped, but it shows up in Movies, not Shows. I guess its because the Shows category looks at individual episode files.

It doesn't switch resolution either, so all my stuff is being upconverted to 1080p, which makes the DVD quality look pretty odd.

But Day 2 with the Boxee Box is way better than Day 1.

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN
Booyah. Netflix, finally.

http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/02/14/netflix-on-the-boxee-box/

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

Don Lapre posted:

AirPlay on the boxee box is amazing. Using the imdb app I can show movie trailers on the boxee box instead of on the iPad screen. I can do CNN videos too. I need to get an airplay game and test it.

Doing Youtube was flawless too.

For some reason, even with a wired gigabit connection to my Boxee Box, the Youtube app would always skip and buffer a lot. With Airplay and playing the movie from my iPad, it was way way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

TraderStav posted:

I am surprised that they haven't announced plans for a Boxee Box 2 with updated hardware. If they beefed up the specs, I'd bet this sucker would be smooth.

Got my refurb unit for my busted box, working perfectly before. Call me crazy but feels snappier.

It's too bad the boxee box doesn't have HDMI 1.4. Full 3D Bluray rips would be awesome to play.

If they update that spec, I'll gladly buy a boxee box 2.

• Locked thread