Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

canyonero posted:

I placed my order with Amazon to get the discount, but will keep it boxed (ugh) up until I see the reviews. I love the software on my old laptop, and have never had any issues with cover art for music or movies, so I'm hopeful.

With Amazon you should be able to open it and use it and still be able to return it. Yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

canyonero posted:

I guess it depends on whether or not Amazon considers the Boxee a computer. Computer returns at Amazon incur a 15% restocking fee for opened items. If they count it as an Electronics item, then it would be 100%.

Amazon usually does right by the customer. If they don't, I'd like to see how they defend a set top box being a computer.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

"Don Lapre is watching BREE OLSON SWALLOW CUMPILATION.WMV on Boxee Media Center."

This is why I won't link up my media consumption to Facebook. The last thing I need people (my mom) seeing is the movies my Wife and I choose to watch.

Awkward Thanksgiving anyone?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

I guess it is hit or miss depending on the bestbuy, the one here had no such section but I think someone had mentioned earlier in the thread there was going to be a similar media section in a bestbuy they went to.

Streaming a 1080p mkv from my NAS now, it rocks :cool:

I hope the nhl gamecenter thing will be added tomorrow in the 1.0 update.

Have you (or anyone else) been able to stress test this puppy yet? My ONLY concern with this box is that it'll choke on really heavy blu-ray rips/etc. If this sucker chugs along just fine, I'm in love. (I'm getting mine tomorrow!)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

It should play any online flash content is the big difference over other devices.

My impression was that it's Achilles heel is that it doesn't have the Apple or Google app store support, if you care about that kind of stuff. The underlying philosophy of the device is to play anything you can throw at it. The social aspects and such are ancillary in my opinion. I want something I can plug into any TV and it'll play anything on my network in high quality without flaws. Watching stuff online is not much in my use-case so I can't speak much to it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

BorderPatrol posted:

Neither the AppleTV nor the Roku box play local content, they are strickly streaming boxes only. (actually, AppleTV can if it's iTunes format and in the iTunes library.)

Actually, just read this. http://gizmodo.com/5649560/video-box-battle-royale-who-should-be-your-tvs-new-best-friend

Apple TV doesn't have an app store.

Yet!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So far, so good for my use case. Got the boxee and it fired up just fine and did the update. I started using Wifi (believe I have N, but not sure) and the 720p video needed to buffer just a bit to get going, but after that it didn't have any issues. I opted to just hard wire it in and it has been working flawless so far. Just set up Cars in HD for my son while I take care of a few things and will stress test it later tonight. VERY happy with my purchase at this point. Bare in mind, I may not have as full of a use-case as the rest of you. I'm a bit 'meh' on the online content and am looking for a nice front-end to play the media on my network without hassles or building a big noisy HTPC like I have now!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Greenfield posted:

I got it to see my shares. It is still garbage at recognizing movies though. I am about 1/4 of the way through checking them, and it has gotten about 25% wrong. How does it think "The Hangover" is "Slaughter"? I am seriously thinking about returning it. Hopefully XBMC gets hacked onto it.

I've found that the misidentification is almost always a problem with the filename OR a .nfo file in the directory. I have a lot of media (>4TB) that was renamed for my HTPC with XBMC. The boxee only had problems identifying a handful of items. Granted, I haven't combed through the pages to look for inaccuracies. I don't believe I will find too many though as casually browsing I didn't see any movies/tv shows I don't have.

tl,dr: I recommend renaming everything to a common convention that XBMC/Boxee recognizes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Am I missing how to set up multiple users? On my HTPC, I like to have a separate user in XBMC for my Kids movies and shows. There is an option to switch users in the power-off menu but it either locks up the box or just reboots the machine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Strange issue occurred last night. Was watching the newest episode of Dexter (HD) and the episode stopped to pause at the exact same moments throughout the show. I would rewind, let it buffer, and it would still do the second long pause to queue. It's as if there was something that the episode told Boxee to buffer here.

Annoyed my wife, otherwise I wouldn't care. =/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

How rude! On sale for $180!

http://dealnews.com/Boxee-Box-HD-Media-Player-by-D-Link-for-180-free-shipping/406265.html

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SatanX posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH342-U2T2H-Server/dp/B003KTN672/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Seriously. 2TB with 3 empty bays. WHS is really nice. The investment is worth it.

Dang, I've been looking for a good solution to replace all the USB externals hooked up to my HTPC. This may be the ticket here. A bit pricey, but not far off the mark with what looks like a solid solution. All the other NASs I have seen that are 'cheap' (Buffalo....) seem to have a lovely connection which renders them useless. Slow transfer speeds even over 100mbit.

Thanks for the link.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Edit:oops.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2010

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cool, that one is only 299 that was linked above! Do I need to load an OS on these suckers or are they plug in and rock?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

priznat posted:

They're pretty much just standalone network appliances and you just plug em in and go!

Amazingly useful to have and much better than keeping a fullsize PC on all the time to serve media for the boxee.

Sweet! Think I found my black Friday purchase! Already have three hds to throw in there as well. Golden.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ordered the NAS, once I get that up and running I'll replace my main HTPC with another Boxee (this one I just bought is for the bedroom) and be good to go.

Will put up the HTPC in SAMart if anyone is interested at that time. It's a solid machine!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Brock Samson posted:

New update is out, updated mine.... subtitles still on by default, despite checking the new setting to turn them off by default :bang:

oh well :(

My confidence in this team to eventually get this to be a solid product and beyond has just increased significantly. It's Thanksgiving and they pushed this out. Granted I think they're in Israel, but still!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

:( still buggy. Put on a hd version of fight club and it's got a weird frame rate that has the video looking weird. Keeps freezing up or rebooting. Seems like the samba issue is fixed, but opened up other ones.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boo! Keeps rebooting for no reason. Reverted back to .9 and will see how that works. From what I'm reading, that version is solid as hell. If it doesn't work for me in the near-term, I'm going to return and rebuy when it all gets worked out. Forget my happy-post from yesterday. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Yeah, I have noticed much more stability once all of my network drives were scanned and identified. Also was relieved to find out that the video issue I had with Fight Club was the file as other movies are just fine. Really crossing my fingers this stability stays, I want this to work!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Next-Gen posted:

If you bought it from Amazon, you do have until January 31 to return it (christmas return policy)

When does that start? If we preordered?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ffej posted:

Just an update. I exchanged my Boxee last night and this new one is only half as loud as the old one so I am happy. I would still like one like my friends where he doesn't hear the fan at all but the current noise is tolerable. I can now leave the TV on at a decent volume and not be distracted.

Being RF, you could always sock it behind the tv.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does anyone know how to reset the time the box scans for new files without re adding all the sources?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Next-Gen posted:

I believe starting a manual scan will reset the time to whenever you kick it off manually.

Excellent, I'll test that tonight as I did a manually scan a few hours before the automated one. The auto one kicks off at like 8:30pm, that's no good for anything that was new over the night and we start watching at 8:00!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Installed the update, I like the changes. Will argue that for my use case, if the freezes are gone, they have hit what I need it for! Sure there are other features I want to see, but the bare bones of what I value the $200 for is looking like we are there! Way to go team boxee! (watch for my rescinding of this in two days)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Then they should not have been touting Netflix + Hulu support before they released it. I do have quite a bit of local media I want to stream, but these days almost everything I watch is on Netflix streaming. Saying get an Xbox 360 for Netflix sucks because Xbox Live Gold is $10 a month. At that rate if you don't have an Xbox 360 or a Boxee, you'd be much better off buying a nettop box and putting Windows 7 with the Boxee software on it.

Xbox Live Gold is $60/year, but can usually find cards on Dell or other sites for $30-40 from time to time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate Sports (specifically Soccer) matches into your library? I can't seem to figure out any way for them to get in there and am forced to browse my files. Which, I suppose, is not that bad, but would definitely prefer the former!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to incorporate Sports (specifically Soccer) matches into your library? I can't seem to figure out any way for them to get in there and am forced to browse my files. Which, I suppose, is not that bad, but would definitely prefer the former!

Just bumping this in line with the naming conversation going on... any insight would be super helpful!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

devmd01 posted:

If you plug in an external hard drive, the boxee box acts as a NAS.

You can write to it also? So I could run sabnzbd on another machine and transfer them over?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Love it with my NAS and plays everything smoothly. Get it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Citycop posted:

As I said before, no matter how you name the files or what directory you put them in.... I know you have a hard time letting that go but it's not the issue. For the love of Mary.

Anyway, I fixed the drat thing. I won't bitch about it anymore in your "love boxee box" thread. Full restore from a USB stick with the latest .iso downloaded from the boxee site did the trick. I suspect the database was corrupted or something.

Also I did find the RMA procedure from DLink if anyone needs it, good for 1 year from purchase:

http://support.dlink.com/products/warranty/1year_classb.pdf

It's not a love fest because no one else had the problem before. Glad you got it fixed.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nall posted:

Sorry I should have said the beta of the firmware that is coming out in may, not the new firmware. It was just released to testers a couple days ago.

Whew! Thought I was going to have to have an emergency wife re-training!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KillGizmo posted:

So do you guys think Boxee Box is worth it these days? Been holding off with all of the issues I used to read about but it's been awhile since I checked out this thread. Looking to dump my whole dvd collection to disk and use Boxee Box to manage it.

Will be perfect for your use case. A few tiny annoying issues remain, but nothing insurmountable by any means.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

it's awesome if you have small amounts of stuff, but as soon as you throw a server with multiple terabytes of stuff at it, it slows down to a crawl. as in it will literally take multiple minutes to display your tv shows or movies. that's why i had to return mine. it's a shame too because it really did work as well as you say it did, and i loved that little remote and the interface as well.

Der Shovel, i'm canadian and i don't use netflix/hulu or any of the other region-restricted apps. i'm 99.99% offline, downloaded media. i was very happy with my experience with it when i was only using it for the small amounts of files on my main computer (~10 tv shows; ~50 movies.) as soon as i added my server as a source, everything slowed to a crawl. it couldn't handle 1000 movies and numerous tv shows with 2000+ episodes. i had to return it as a result.

4TB server here, no slowdown issues... highly recommend for offline use.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Glimm posted:

Yeah I use a 5.5TB server and have no slowdown displaying my movies or tv shows, perhaps something was wrong with your box?

Or network.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Avoiding the update until I hear some success stories from my trusted goons.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever gotten the Justin.TV feeds in the LiveTV app to work? After the ad I just get a still on the screen...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Esk1 posted:

weird the update still isn't showing up for me, I don't care enough to actually make an iso and update it. As far as sound goes I run everything into a 5.1 system over optical, not sure if this issue is going to affect me with mkv movies.

Why would an optical connection have an issue with this update?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

StopMakingSense posted:

No, the update didn't break the JustinTV and LiveTV apps, Justin changed something and they havent been working since at lease a couple days before the update came out. Every day I try to redownload the apps and hope they work :(

If you have channels you regularly use, then grab the watch later bookmarklet and use it to make it easy to jump to the pages and hit the fullscreen button on the justin.tv page.

I have not updated to this newest version, and JustTV has never worked for me... Perhaps it's the feeds I'm looking at. (Soccer matches)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

devmd01 posted:

^ Said it better than I could. I deal with 3500 desktops/laptops and 400+ servers every day, I don't want to gently caress around with another computer when I get home just to watch some tv or a movie. It also exceeds the WAF with zero effort on my part.

WAF = Wife --- Factor ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Fatal posted:

Acceptance.

Absolutely... had built an HTPC with XBMC and it was great. But god forbid the Lenovo remote wouldn't connect properly, or would lose focus to XBMC, or some other dumbshit problem would come out...

Boxee, have a problem? Hold the button and restart it.

• Locked thread