Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Anal Volcano posted:

So I was going to ask if the Boxee Box has better music support than Boxee pre-1.0, and now I'm seeing that there's not even a music option on the home page :psyduck:

This is a big one for me and I didn't see it answered yet. No music option any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Well, that sucks. Hope they'll sort that out until this thing is released in Germany as I was really looking forward to not hook up my laptop to my AV receiver ever again.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I'm currently trying to replace mine. Bought it last week but only could testdrive during the weekend, where I noticed that I got a refurbished one (which looks kinda gross on all the shiny plastic parts).

After deleting the profile of the (hopefully) first user I got everything set up pretty quickly. Some files didn't get recognised at first but that was mainly because they contained the German movie titles. After adding those manually I had a fully functional Boxee without any bugs at all.

Watching Walking Dead everything looked and sounded great but during the quieter moments I noticed the fan. It's not loud, just annoying. I turned on my PS3 for comparison. It is way louder than the Boxee box, but this high pitched noise cut right through it. I figure that's the reason it was sent back originally and hope a new model will fix that.

I think I could live with it after a few days but it doesn't hurt to at least try, right? Does anybody else have this problem? I really liked everything else about it so I don't really wanna replace it with something else...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

CrashCat posted:

There were a couple other people in the thread that complained about the fan but not many. I am guessing D-link just got a bum batch in there somewhere. The high pitched whine is probably the sound of something out of whack in that fan that's going to fail soon enough anyway. My unit definitely had plastic protecting film on the shiny parts when I pulled it out though so also look for that on your replacement 'new' one. I don't have a problem with my fan at all but then I am used to the Xbox which is a goddamn windtunnel by comparison.

Thanks, that gives me some hope. I'm used to the first generation Xbox fan as well. The volume of that thing comes pretty close to attempted murder, but the sound of the Boxee was way worse. Like something slowly burning into your brain, so it had to go. I'll be looking for the protecting film as well. Fingers are crossed...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is it not possible to fast forward or rewind through some video files at all? I was just watching Greenberg (mkv-file, 1080p) and got a call so I paused. I figured it would take a bit longer so I shut the Box down and could always return to the 30 or so minutes mark with the resume feature later.

After the call I tried to resume but the video stuttered while the audio was playing just fine. Tried it two more times but to no avail. So I started from the beginning and tried to skip to the last point I had seen. That just didn't work at all. The video starts to stutter and returns to the beginning.

Every other movie (tried Alice and Triangle, both 1080p mvk's as well) seems to work fine. I can even skip through Greenberg in the boxee software on my old laptop without any problems.

Help? Just wanna watch Greenberg today :(

Edit: All right, I tried to skip through some other movies and it's the same thing. The audio runs fine (for about a minute) but the video just stutters. Could this be hardware related or is it another bug that has to be patched?

AlexF fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

n0n0 posted:

Is this local content or network content?

I'm sorry that should have been mentioned above. It's local from a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

n0n0 posted:

Try this before giving up and returning it: how to perform a factory reset.. Do the reset, try to produce the problem. If it isn't producible, then update to the newest firmware. Try again. If it is producible, try a different external USB drive.

I hope it works :)

Thanks for your help. I tried the factory reset but it auto updates as soon as I turn it on.

Noticed a strange thing though: The files skip just fine while using the German track. As soon as I try to use the second audio track (in this case the OV) the problem starts again.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
^^^^

Yeah, what they said. I'm using it on daily basis and even got so used to the little noise the fan makes (doesn't seem to affect every boxee though!) that it isn't bothering me in the slightest anymore.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's a fan? :stare:

I've returned my first one not because the fan was too loud. Instead it constantly made this really high pitched noise. I could turn on my xbox 360 (1st gen, sounds like a jet these days), tv and turn up the volume from my stereo and it still cut right through all of it. I swear it was some kind of new torture invented by the Chinese.

But, as I said, the second one is fine :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

jonathan posted:

Does anyone else find that 16:9 content often doesn't show up as 16:9 ? There are very small letterboxing top and bottom. I have the screen scaled correctly, tv is 1080p over hdmi, and the boxee is set to 1080p.

This is me (same specs, same firmware)! I got used to it pretty quickly but before that I tried everything to get rid of those two small bars. You haven't lived until you've taken a ruler to your screen in order to get that calibration square perfectly...square.

Haven't found a solution so far and probably won't bother until it just fixes itself...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Don Lapre posted:

Is it actual 16:9 content, or is it a widescreen movie. Cause most widescreen movies are wider than 16:9.

I noticed it the most while watching Chuck which should be straight up 16:9, right?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

jonathan posted:

Why on earth would they use a 1920x1040 resolution... Anyways, that clears it up. I just assumed they would be using one of the two letterboxes, or fullscreen.

Because feature films aren't shot that way and SP is even worse what with all it's format changes. When watching the Bluray on my PS3 it's definitely letterboxed more than 1/2'' in the "normal" scenes.

But Chuck (as a series shot with 16:9 TV in mind) shouldn't have it, right? It's not even taken from a DVD or Bluray, but straight up ripped from NBC HD. Yet here they are. Like I said, it doesn't bother me anymore, but it's strange nonetheless.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Edison Carter posted:

Wasn't this the release that was supposed to have some sort of streaming compatibility with Apple devices? I remember reading about it in their initial announcement for their next update, only for it to seemingly have fallen off the face of the earth.

Yeah, this. I've recently bought an iPad and that announcement did weigh in a little in my decision. Where is it?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Fatal posted:

Welcome to Boxee.

I still like it though. With iPad support, however, I'd like it even more...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

DaWolfey posted:

I've had my Box for a week now and I do like it, but I was very surprised to find that the fan in it is louder than the Nettop that it replaced.

You'll get used to it pretty soon. I've had the same problem but I can barely hear it now. It's not so much the volume but rather the pitch of sound IMO. Give it some time, I promise :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Pengwin posted:

I just updated my box to the current version and it still sits under settings > network > VPN. Granted, I've never used this before, but everything seems to be in order...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
It's number 2: Boxee can only provide enough power for one drive. The other one has to be of the plugged in kind.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Their latest e-mail mentioned the iPad app is pretty close to release. That's nice, I thought it had disappeared...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

MMD3 posted:

are you referring to mkv files? is this a well-known issue? i've noticed that in almost all of my mkv files I have to manually adjust the audio, assumed it was just an issue with my files.

I have to adjust as well but can't seem to nail the exact timing. It's always a little off no matter what I do. What's your 'standard' adjustment? For me it's something between ,sound ahead 25-50ms' but even then it's still not perfect. Am I doing it completely wrong?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

VERTiG0 posted:

I find that if an .mkv file has slightly "off" audio, if I pause it for a few seconds then restart, it plays the video and seems to re-sync the audio, and then it's perfectly fine for the rest of the file.

And again I'd like to reiterate how loving super amazing this thing is for playing local media. It's just beyond incredibly good at it.

I know what you mean. Pausing fixes the problem if it's pretty severe but for me the audio still seems off, if only a little. Maybe I'll have to put my center speaker somewhere else and it's not even Boxee's fault.

Otherwise I agree. This thing has changed the way I consume media in pretty much the same way the iPad did. Never thought it could be so easy and hassle free ...

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

BonoMan posted:

How loud is the boxee typically? Mine makes a noticeably little vibrating motor sound. It's not noticeable when something is playing...just when everything is quiet. But I just want to make sure it's normal.

Mine does that as well. I got used to it pretty quickly, your mileage may vary. Other users don't seem to hear anything at all.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I have a problem. Last Friday I changed my provider (for super fast Internet...yay) and got a new router (AVM Fritzbox 7570 vdsl) which supports upnp streaming. So I figured I'd plug the drive currently connected to my Boxee via USB into the router and stream everything wirelessly to my Boxee, my laptop, iPad, etc.

My box finds the router without any problems, connects to it and scans the video and music folders as I defined. After scanning however it tells me 'No local media yet' for shows. I thought it had something to do with the filesystem of the router but strangely it recognized three out of 21 movies that are on the drive as well. If it couldn't find any of them I'd blame the router but as it stands it seems to be a problem with box, right?

Is there anything I can do or do I have just have to give up all my dreams and hopes of wireless streaming in my own house?

Edit: Just to be clear. It plays everything via the file browser just fine, but can't seem to scrape all the metadata that's needed to have the nice listings I bought it for (cover art, episode description, etc.).

AlexF fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 4, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Don Lapre posted:

Do the other ones not show up or are they not identified?

Also you realize the boxee box has an smb server and you can stream directly off the boxee box.

18 of the 21 movies can not be identified. It finds the roundabout 500 files of shows but they just show up in the file browser and nowhere else, despite not being listed as 'not identified'.

Yeah, I know, I just figured the boxee's not always turned on but the router is by default so it's just more convenient that way.

Edit: Will try the new firmware RC that seems to fix some problems with mkv upnp streaming...

Edit 2: And that's that. The first shows are identified and everything is running smoothly. Should have googled first.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 4, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The problem wasn't that I'm too lazy to do that, but that the files didn't even show up in the unidentified videos section. It found all of them (it said so in the sources menu) but they just weren't there for me to work on. Strange thing, but solved now anyway...

Edit: Jesus. After watching one episode Boxee can't connect to the server any longer and has to be restarted. I think I'm going back to just hooking the drive directly to it before I start punching walls. Isn't this thing supposed to make streaming easier? :(

AlexF fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 5, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

AlexF posted:

Edit: Jesus. After watching one episode Boxee can't connect to the server any longer and has to be restarted. I think I'm going back to just hooking the drive directly to it before I start punching walls. Isn't this thing supposed to make streaming easier? :(

I need to quote myself here and hope that maybe somebody could help me. Neither my iPad nor my laptop are losing their connection to the server at anytime. Any clue, why this could be?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
The iPad app has been released. Is this heaven?

Edit: This is a strange kind of heaven. I thought it would at least share some functionality with the iPhone app (double as a remote, touchpad) or I could connect it to my box in anyway. Instead I can watch my Facebook friends' videos and only stream from the Boxee media server, which has to be installed on my laptop. Not possible to stream from my NAS as well. Very disappointed here :(

AlexF fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 9, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
According to a comment from the Boxee team on Facebook it is 'integrated' in two ways:

1. You can send the video you are currently watching to your box which comes down to watching YouTube clips on your tv, which can be done with only the box as well (and most current tv's without any further setup). This is currently not working when your box isn't wirelessly connected to your router (mine isn't for steadier streaming).

2. The iPad can be used as a remote if you install Boxee media server on your pc/Mac. Then you connect the iPad to your computer (which means it has to be turned any time you wanna use it that way) which in return sends the media to your iPad which then can be used to stream the media to your tv (as in 1.). This way you are :airquote: remote controlling :airquote: your Boxee Box.

Are they seriously calling that integration? I really do love my box (even moreso after setting up a NAS) but this is not a nice thing to do to your customer base, is it?

Ninja Edit:

TraderStav posted:

Can't you point the Boxee media server to the NAS? That was what I was planning on doing.

Yeah, that's certainly possible but your computer would have to be turned on any time. I know that a lot of people don't even turn theirs off but since owning an iPad mine is most of the time. It's inconvenient, which goes against everything Boxee's pitching with its products I think.

AlexF fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 9, 2011

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Nall posted:

You can point it at a NAS...

How so? I'm new to all things NAS so any help is appreciated :)

Or are you talking about the Boxee media server thing?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You're right. I was out of line, because I expected something completely different. For people who are using it the intended way it's a nice alternative I guess.

Still hoping for a proper official remote app though :)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Anybody noticed how they gimped the audio adjustment option with the new firmware? Used to be a bar where you could change the delay at a millisecond interval. Now it's quarter seconds only. Kinda sucks :(

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Laserface posted:

so I bought reemote for ipad...

I did as well just because you said so. Works quite nice, this is the stuff that makes me feel like I'm living in THE FUTURE. It won't show any information about the video currently running, but that seems to be a PC / Mac only feature at this moment. Still a nice app to have until the official one incorporates a remote function. I'd recommend it if only for the 'holy poo poo, I'm controlling my tv with a giant touchpad' thing.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I would but it simply worked. Downloaded the app, started it and got an instant connection to the box. If you still need help I could check specific settings or something when I get home from work. Anything in particular you need to know?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I like the update as well. Just two things I noticed (one mentioned earlier):

1. AVI's aren't playing as fluid as before. It's not too bad, but definitely noticeable. It worked before so I'm sure they'll get that fixed soon.

2. The audio adjusment has been gimped badly. It used to work in milliseconds, now it's quarter seconds and you don't get the nice "sound ahead" / "sound delayed" bar anymore. I really liked that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Prefect Six posted:

e: Also, will it work with a Logitech Harmony series of remotes?

Yes. but you need to buy an IR receiver that connects to your box via USB. Any kind that works with Windows Media Center should do.

• Locked thread