Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I might be interested in playing some Infinity. Is there a version of Vassal that runs on OSX?

I don't have AIM, though. Let me see if I can't figure out what happened to all my old IM accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fix posted:

I might be interested in playing some Infinity. Is there a version of Vassal that runs on OSX?

I don't have AIM, though. Let me see if I can't figure out what happened to all my old IM accounts.

pretty sure its windows/mac/linux

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PaintVagrant posted:

pretty sure its windows/mac/linux

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads&Itemid=26

Thanks.

Goddamn, this is a confusing looking program.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

Thanks.

Goddamn, this is a confusing looking program.

yeah, its not nearly as hard to use at it looks, but its a little quirky.

At some point this weekend I can pop online and use vent and we can try to walk through a small game

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PaintVagrant posted:

post your aim buddy

AIM: Liph12

I am using a Mac, so i'd really appreciate it if the vent server ran the SPEEX codec as that is the Mac compatible one

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KyloWinter posted:

AIM: Liph12

I am using a Mac, so i'd really appreciate it if the vent server ran the SPEEX codec as that is the Mac compatible one

ok man, Ill make sure to take care of that if I set the vent server up, which I probably will.

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
As promised the recent bit's I've done, feedback welcome as always. Tried to tidy the weapon and unit tables up from their current versions. Unit markings are now vectorized so won't look fuzzy as hell, and will scale to any size without and degradation in quality.

When I'm done I'll put a folder together with all the Illustrator and InDesign files, also fonts and anything else someone will need to make their own edits and updates. Would prefer to use open formats, but InDesign doesn't have one, or at least one I know about.

Unit Tables:

Click here for the full image.

Weapon Table:

PanOceania unit markings:

Yu Jing unit markings:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

drat man, those look great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So I hosed around with the infinity vassal module...drat. Its pretty damned amazing. All the units use those icons, like in Wiltershaws docs.

The terrain is all 3d raytraced stuff, it looks like a black and white photo of a really nice urban gaming table. Very, very cool.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dumb monpoc question: do the monster prepaints look nearly as good as the stock photos, or are those repaints?

Like these, they look pretty nice for prepaints. Maybe...too nice?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I've never seen that last model, or any in that faction, look that good in the flesh.

However, the dinosaurs do look pretty much that good in most cases.

Basically, anything that mixes translucent plastic with solid colours is more likely to be flawed and not look half as nice as the promotional pictures.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

PaintVagrant posted:

Dumb monpoc question: do the monster prepaints look nearly as good as the stock photos, or are those repaints?

Like these, they look pretty nice for prepaints. Maybe...too nice?

Nope, that's exactly what monpoc figures look like. :)

Actually the last one, the white dinosaur thingy, is from the UCI faction. That's the only faction where I would say the paint is not good as advertised... seems half painted/ half translucent is a bitch to do. Hopefully next set it gets better.

But other than that, WYSIWYG :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id probably add a little contrast with some washes or highlights, because im a nerd and cant leave things like that alone.

Thats still pretty awesome that they come with a nice basecoat with a blend like that though.

I havent checked ebay, does monpoc stuff have good or bad resale value? Can I score a shitload of cheap monsters ?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

I havent checked ebay, does monpoc stuff have good or bad resale value? Can I score a shitload of cheap monsters ?

Regular monster pairs usually go for around 10 bucks. Depending on how rare a monsters mega form is (which are always a type of promo figure) they can go from 15-60 bucks. Units are usually about .50-1.00, but the really good units can go for more, like around 5. Buildings can go for around 4-15, depending on how good/popular in lists it is.

So for what you pay for boosters, it's not too bad to sell/trade off the agendas you dont play.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So, what is the cash layout to get 2 players worth of starter stuff? enough to have some flexibility when making armies?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Got a chance to grab this:

ROGZOR

ROGZOR ULTRA

GORGHADRA

GORGHADRA ULTRA

DESTRUCTOMITE X 3

DESTRUCTOMITE ELITE X 2

EXPLODOHAWK X 2

BELCHER X 1

BELCHER ELITE X 4

CRAWLER

OIL REFINERY

APARTMENT BUILDING X 2

DOWNTOWN HIGHRISE X 2

SKYSCRAPER

PLUS DICE BAG, MAPS AND ACCESSORIES

At around £30-40. Worth it?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

So, what is the cash layout to get 2 players worth of starter stuff? enough to have some flexibility when making armies?

Hrm... I would say like 40-50 bucks I guess. Honestly the most expensive thing to get is buildings, since the only way to get those is randomly in a booster pack, and you only get 1. If your starting out, make sure to get boosters that come with a building. Doesn't matter what faction people play, EVERYONE needs buildings.

I'm guessing around 40-50 bucks worth of stuff should give you enough to tinker with. Each monster is its own beast (:haw:) so just changing to another monster in the same faction gives a lot of variety to your strategy and play.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Reckon I got a fairly good deal on Monpoc stuff on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250569690294&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
I could imagine parting with my MonPoc stuff for cheap. It's a great game but I want to focus on other stuff and it's better to get rid of it to someone who's actually going to play with it. I got some Guard and Planet Eaters from the first set, enough to start playing on two players. PM if interested and we can work something out.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So Im thinking of renting a vent server for alt-game goons. They seem to run around 2 bux a month or so for a 5 person vent server.

I cant really see us needing more than 5 people using it at once, but maybe if people are speccing games or something...

Anyways, Ill probably end up setting it up tonight. If anyone wants to donate a few bux, let me know, it will go a long way towards keeping the server up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

So Im thinking of renting a vent server for alt-game goons. They seem to run around 2 bux a month or so for a 5 person vent server.

I cant really see us needing more than 5 people using it at once, but maybe if people are speccing games or something...

Anyways, Ill probably end up setting it up tonight. If anyone wants to donate a few bux, let me know, it will go a long way towards keeping the server up.

alright scratch that, Im going to get a 10 user server broken into 5 two-man channels. I didnt realize we could do that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

IL3.LeetVent.com

port: 3912

PM or bug me on aim for the password

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

drat you guys.

Not only did I buy that Planet Eaters army, but I just bought a small Lords of Cthul force

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280456187500

and for luck, to get the dice and stuff, and to have the fun of some randoms a Now starter set.

Gah.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Serotonin posted:

drat you guys.

Not only did I buy that Planet Eaters army, but I just bought a small Lords of Cthul force

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280456187500

and for luck, to get the dice and stuff, and to have the fun of some randoms a Now starter set.

Gah.

drat you, hadn't thought about using Ebay to expand my collection, and what do I find:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Monsterpocalypse-Guard-Lot_W0QQitemZ180461291084QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a0454c64c#ht_963wt_1165

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Wow, that is a really good GUARD lot on there... G1 Strike fighters are REALLY hard to get since everyone wants them... 5 shadow G1s too. :aaa:

I might have to bid. :hfive:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

So kylowinter and I hosed around on vassal/vent last night, with the Infinity module.

The module is really well done, but we quickly realized we dont know how to play the game, so it was mostly us moving icons around and poo poo.

Im definitely going to read up on the rules and such, but if anyone here is a bit more familar, Id love to hop on vassal and vent and have you talk me through a small game or at least a few turns.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wow, that is a really good GUARD lot on there... G1 Strike fighters are REALLY hard to get since everyone wants them... 5 shadow G1s too. :aaa:

I might have to bid. :hfive:

I can't afford them, so please, some Goon get them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wiltershaw posted:

awesome layout stuff

hey man, Im not sure if youve seen my mechgame thread, but I was wondering if youd want to help me out with some layout for my pdf's of my rulebook and junk.

Do you have an email I can hit you up at? mines paint.vagrant@gmail.com

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Is the warmahordes stuff mk2 on vassal? :confused:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is the warmahordes stuff mk2 on vassal? :confused:

None of the new models, yet, but all the previous ones.

Wonder when someone's going to add the new toys?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PaintVagrant posted:

So kylowinter and I hosed around on vassal/vent last night, with the Infinity module.

The module is really well done, but we quickly realized we dont know how to play the game, so it was mostly us moving icons around and poo poo.

Im definitely going to read up on the rules and such, but if anyone here is a bit more familar, Id love to hop on vassal and vent and have you talk me through a small game or at least a few turns.

ya, it was pretty neat. ill have to read the rules more and figure out all the orders and poo poo

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KyloWinter posted:

ya, it was pretty neat. ill have to read the rules more and figure out all the orders and poo poo

Which module do you guys have? I don't have the rules, but I'd like to learn by watching some games at some point.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=514 this is the one we were using

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I don't know poo poo about Vassal but i do know the infinity rules and i wouldn't mind trying to explain it and learning about Vassal in the process.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Bistromatic posted:

I don't know poo poo about Vassal but i do know the infinity rules and i wouldn't mind trying to explain it and learning about Vassal in the process.

awesome, what times are you available

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais

PaintVagrant posted:

hey man, Im not sure if youve seen my mechgame thread, but I was wondering if youd want to help me out with some layout for my pdf's of my rulebook and junk.

Do you have an email I can hit you up at? mines paint.vagrant@gmail.com

Sound. Had a quick look when you posted it originally, but forgot to BM the thread like a nub. If you can mail me one would be great. thomaspwiltershaw@gmail.com

I'll try and hop on for a game or just some spectating sometime later this week. I've had a reasonable read of the rules while I've been going through it, listening in on some games would help highlight any ambiguous wording and possible ways to clear it up.

I didn't understand the point of co-ordinated orders for ages. Until I realized if you move the group and the reactive player has 3 models able to use ARO against them, they only get 3 AROs against the group. Instead of in a non co-ordinated order each model would take 3 AROs.

Also, anyone know where this is from? http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/index.php/forum/28-rules-of-engagement/41914-qlink-troopsq-the-thread-all-questions-here I've not seen anything in the Rule book I have about it. If someone can point me to the rules behind it would be great as it seems like an interesting mechanic.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Wiltershaw posted:

Also, anyone know where this is from? http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/index.php/forum/28-rules-of-engagement/41914-qlink-troopsq-the-thread-all-questions-here I've not seen anything in the Rule book I have about it. If someone can point me to the rules behind it would be great as it seems like an interesting mechanic.

"Link Troops is a manoeuvre only allowed to the Sectorial Armies and inside them only determinated figures can perform it. The names of this troops appear in a chart in the ruletext. It is important to not forget that in general armies this rule is not allowed to apply."

Well, according to that, this mechanic is only allowed to Sectoral Armies. Sectoral Armies are only in the expansion book: Human Sphere. I don't own that book, however I'm willing to bet that is where the rule is located.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

that would own. The vassal deal is fairly easy to use, I think my main problem with it is going to be remembering the unit icons

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
You can always rightclick the icon and look at the properties for unit name and stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah. Im sure Ill adjust.

I think next time I play, Ill play as Yu Jing, probably. What factions are you gentlemen interested in?