Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
This has been sitting on my work computer long enough.

Stargrunt 2
by Ground Zero Games

Setting: Near Future
Size: Platoon->Batallion->A very long game
Mechanics:
Alternate unit activation: I swear Warhammer's the last modern game to not make the switch.
Die shifts: Squad ability is represented by a die type. Modifiers move you up and down the die range. So if the squad starts at d8, a +1 would move you to a d10. The lowest die is d4 (lower than that means the action is impossible) and you cap out at a d12 (in some cases shifts over d12 start dropping an opponents die).
Command & Control: Your force must have a command structure. Squads have commanders, Platoons have a commanding squad, etc. Commanders use an action to try to give a subordinate squad an extra turn. If the Commander is not in shouting range, he has to try to radio his command, which opponents can try to jam, etc. There's also a decent morale system that covers from what happens when the squad leader gets shot to dealing with injuries (morale takes a hit if you abandon an injured comrade). It really adds to the game.
Combined arms: Usually your force will have access to resources up the chain of command, like artillery, airstikes, and medvac services. To request them you have to make a command roll, modified by how many levels of command (and therefore red tape) you have to go through. Again, any of these communications could be jammed.
Combat: Attacker rolls ability + a die based on the total firepower in the squad. Defender rolls range from attacker (based on attacker's skill) modified by cover. If only one of the attacker's dice beats the defender, the defender is suppressed and has to rally to do a normal action. If both beat the defender, then damage is calulated from the sum of the attacker dice. It's a little clunky after this point due to random hits and armour.
Scenario-based: There is no point system for building forces. You have to figure out a scenario and put together what "feels right". There are also mechanics to randomize leadership and actual number of figures at the start of a battle ("Patterson's sick, sir!").
Models: 15-30mm scale. GZG's 15mm lines are pretty good, with some good not sci-fi property figures (like Halo Spartans or Stargate jackal-head guys). 15mm sci-fi is a growing market, so there's plenty to choose from even if you don't go to GZG. While I haven't bought anything from them, Critical Mass games has some sweet looking stuff. Dropship Horizon is a great source for 15mm scifi news.
Cost: Rules cost ZERO Download from http://www.groundzerogames.net Figures vary depending on manufacturer.
Pros: Cheap. Elegant, but with very interesting chrome. Scenario-based.
Cons: Rulebook's hard to go through the first time. Generic setting has no special rules so you have to roll your own. Damage's a little clunky to deal with sometimes. Scenario-based.
Pictures stolen from the web:
Critical Mass games

Ground Zero Games

Khurasan 15mm Sci-fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm GMT +1, so evening is about to start for me, today i'd be available from about 90 minute from now 'til i fall asleep.

And i mostly use Nomads, though i have some Yu-Jing as well (and really love the Aragoto Senkenbutai)

Oh, and i don't own Human Sphere yet, so i don't know the rules for fireteams for example.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Bistromatic posted:

I'm GMT +1, so evening is about to start for me, today i'd be available from about 90 minute from now 'til i fall asleep.

And i mostly use Nomads, though i have some Yu-Jing as well (and really love the Aragoto Senkenbutai)

Oh, and i don't own Human Sphere yet, so i don't know the rules for fireteams for example.

Ah. Well, Im in GMT -5, I think, so its noon here. (EST)

Sometime this week, if you want to gently caress around with vassal/show me the rules, Id be down.

Like 2pm here? thats 8 there, If Im doing the basic math right

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Sounds good, i'd be available today, tuesday and thursday that time this week, maybe friday but that's still unsure.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Sounds good, i'd be available today, tuesday and thursday that time this week, maybe friday but that's still unsure.

thursday sounds pretty good for me, but I am currently in a serious jobhunt, so if I end up with an interview or some other part time poo poo comes up (I do some consulting for a nonprofit a few hours a week) I will have to cancel.

So thursday, 2/8 pm it is.

Kylo or any other infinity players: feel free to join in and watch/learn/etc.

Bistro: do you have vent and vassal and hte module?

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais

KyloWinter posted:

Well, according to that, this mechanic is only allowed to Sectoral Armies. Sectoral Armies are only in the expansion book: Human Sphere. I don't own that book, however I'm willing to bet that is where the rule is located.

Ta man, I was scratching my head wondering what the gently caress Sectoral Armies were.

As for playing Infinity, I'm looking at either PanOceania or Combined Army.

Should be able to drop in on Thursday at that time as well for a couple of hours.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

PaintVagrant posted:

Bistro: do you have vent and vassal and hte module?
Ok, thursday 20:00 it is (for me)

I don't have vent installed at them moment but i've used it before and should have to problem to get it going
I just installed Vassal and it seems to be running ok.
I got the infinity module linked on the last page as well and i guess "hte module" is "the module" since a bunch of spelling errors were the only google hits for that.

And should we get enough people that the vent slots become a problem i'm pretty sure we could use the Knifeback mumble server.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Ok, thursday 20:00 it is (for me)

I don't have vent installed at them moment but i've used it before and should have to problem to get it going
I just installed Vassal and it seems to be running ok.
I got the infinity module linked on the last page as well and i guess "hte module" is "the module" since a bunch of spelling errors were the only google hits for that.

And should we get enough people that the vent slots become a problem i'm pretty sure we could use the Knifeback mumble server.

haha yeah I am pretty terrible at editing my posts..."hte" was the.

The vent server has 10 slots, so we should be ok.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

and poo poo like this is why Ive got such a raging nerdboner for infinity

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Definitely gonna play Yu Jing. For the PARTY!

EDIT: I'm GMT -6

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2010

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
yu jing or haquislam is what i'm thinking now. I'm busy thursday but could you email me the pw to vent? sudoz0rs@gmail.com. I'd love to play a few games, no one here plays.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

henne posted:

yu jing or haquislam is what i'm thinking now. I'm busy thursday but could you email me the pw to vent? sudoz0rs@gmail.com. I'd love to play a few games, no one here plays.

sent

Kylowinter and I played a quick game with some basic poo poo, it went pretty well, although vassal poo poo itself a couple of times. Im really curious what larger games with a big variety of units will be like

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Here's a quick description of each faction

PanOceania: The new superpower in the Human Sphere. Composed of Australia, New Zealand, India, and the Philippines. They have the most high tech gear of any of the factions, also their units have better than average Ballistic Skills. However due to their reliance on AI, they tend to have lower than average Willpower. Their units are of average cost.

Yu Jing: China conquered all of Southeast Asia under one rule. Ruled by a combination of the Party as lawmakers and the Emperor as supreme Judge. Yu Jing units have better than average Close Combat stats and good Willpower. Yu Jing also specializes in excellent Heavy Infantry units. Their units are necessarily all that expensive, however since they have so many good HI options you may be fielding less units.

Ariadna: The Scots, Cossacks, Americans, and French took a colony ship into a wormhole and got lost. They came back after a while after domesticating werewolves or some poo poo. They have no Remotes or Hackers and are very low-tech. They have high numbers of infiltrating and skirmishing units.

Haqqislam: Space Muslims. They have loads of Line Infantry choices, most of which can be upgraded to doctors for minimal cost. And by being so smart, all their units have high Willpower. Also they have a lot of religious troops, meaning they don't run away from battle as easily.

Nomads: They rejected the use of AI and just chill in big spaceships. They have squat for Heavy Infantry but have the best Remotes and Hackers and great Willpower.

Combined Army: A coalition of different alien races that calls itself the Evolved Intelligence. Basically, the CA is better at everything than every other faction but their units cost way more as well.

Aleph: Introduced with the Human Sphere expansion. This is a completely AI faction. I don't own the book so I don't know any fluff or how they play.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Dibs on PanOceania. :smug:

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Actually i really like the history of the Combined army so i'll add some details:

A long time ago, the most ancient civilizations achieved Transcendence, if you have ever watched Stargate you should be familiar with this, leaving the material plane behind, total comprehension of the universe and all that.

Not long after that came the Ur, who thought Transcendence was pretty nifty and wanted to skip ahead a bit to achieve it too, after countless failed projects they decided that if they couldn't achieve it themselves they should at least be able to build something that could.

They created an Artificial Intelligence and fed it all knowledge they had. And indeed, shortly after it was activated the Artilect, as they had called it, achieved Transcendence. But when the Ur asked it about the details it just said "Sorry, you're not ready for this yet." and vanished.

The Ur didn't give up that easily however and built a second AI. This time however they started with the mental patterns of their greatest thinkers and leader and planned to let it develop from there on, an Evolved Intelligence. They hoped it would retain enough ties to them that it would share Transcendence.

This time things didn't go that smoothly however as the EI was held back by it's very nature, it had inherited all the flaws that prevented the Ur themselves from achieving Transcendence. It continued to request ever more processing power and eventually the entire Ur civilization was dedicated to just providing processing power for the EI.
And when that still wasn't enough, the EI turned outwards.

While the Ur themselves have long vanished the EI still continues the original project and is currently aquiring more resources to that end (by enslaving entire civilizations and using them to enslave even more civilizations)

Well, that turend out longer than expected but i really like the concept

TL;DR: The purpose of the Combined army is to provide resources for the AI that rules them

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 2, 2010

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Bistromatic posted:

:words:

That owns. I only read the PanOceania and Yu Jing fluff, just sorta skimmed the others.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Planeguy, I just added your stargrunt summary to the OP, thanks duder!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It sort of bums me out that the Aleph starter set is a couple of cool robots and a commando dude...and 2 anime titty chicks. I wonder if you can play Aleph without them

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This seems like it might be a decent place to mention it - would anyone be interested in some of the discontinued metal stuff from Confrontation/Rackham? I primarily have a bunch of Griffin that I am thinking about offloading. It includes some painted stuff, primed, and a couple of blisters. I'll put together a full list if anyone is interested.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Ashcans posted:

This seems like it might be a decent place to mention it - would anyone be interested in some of the discontinued metal stuff from Confrontation/Rackham? I primarily have a bunch of Griffin that I am thinking about offloading. It includes some painted stuff, primed, and a couple of blisters. I'll put together a full list if anyone is interested.

yo put me down as interested. i've been looking for rackham stuff and ludikbazar looks like the best place but the shipping is like 21 euros for a single model. :drat:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
If I wanted to get into Infinity what should I buy model-wise? There's loads that I like but I don't know what's worth getting for a couple of starter forces. :(

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

PaintVagrant posted:

It sort of bums me out that the Aleph starter set is a couple of cool robots and a commando dude...and 2 anime titty chicks. I wonder if you can play Aleph without them

To be honest those female units don't look half as bad as they could, at least they're pretty much fully clothed.

I do like the robots, though. Aleph is about the only Infinity faction that's really leapt out and grabbed me as having cool models.

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

If I wanted to get into Infinity what should I buy model-wise? There's loads that I like but I don't know what's worth getting for a couple of starter forces. :(

I don't know if you've found them, but there are pre built starter forces:

Ariadna
Combined Army
Haqqislam
Nomads
PanOceania
Yu Jing

They seem to come with 3 Regular, 1-2 Heavies, various special ops types and pretty standard weapon load outs. Seems like a good mix for a starter kit though, but I've no idea if they're legal or the total points / support costs. They also seem to be devoid of the 'quirkier' models. Probably going to pick up the PanOceania and Combined Army when I get from free cash though.

If you wondering where to start from scratch, or expand, no idea. Hackers and a TAG would probably be my first instinct to an expansion route for larger games.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Wiltershaw posted:

I don't know if you've found them, but there are pre built starter forces:

Ariadna
Combined Army
Haqqislam
Nomads
PanOceania
Yu Jing

They seem to come with 3 Regular, 1-2 Heavies, various special ops types and pretty standard weapon load outs. Seems like a good mix for a starter kit though, but I've no idea if they're legal or the total points / support costs. They also seem to be devoid of the 'quirkier' models. Probably going to pick up the PanOceania and Combined Army when I get from free cash though.

If you wondering where to start from scratch, or expand, no idea. Hackers and a TAG would probably be my first instinct to an expansion route for larger games.

Thanks for that Wiltershaw. Good site too.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The more I look at them, the more I want to paint combined army models.

The only thing in their list that Im not a huge fan of are some of their light infantry choices, but drat, everything else is loving awesome

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

The more I look at them, the more I want to paint combined army models.

The only thing in their list that Im not a huge fan of are some of their light infantry choices, but drat, everything else is loving awesome

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I played my first 150pt Infinity game last night with a buddy of mine. It was really fun, but there are a lot of rules and rolls to make with everything. Still a little confused on how facing and movement interact and how cover works.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PaintVagrant posted:

Combined Army stuff looks cool, but I have no idea how to paint it. I mean a whole bunch of their stuff has these complicated green-blue blends that I just have no idea how to approach. Maybe they would look as good with a scheme more at my painting level, but its really tempting to just stick with the other factions that I know I can make a decent job of.

Bullet Proof posted:

yo put me down as interested. i've been looking for rackham stuff and ludikbazar looks like the best place but the shipping is like 21 euros for a single model. :drat:
Cool, I can put together a list for you (and anyone else thats interested) tonight. Fair warning though, I'm in the US so I don't know what shipping/customs would be. Pretty sure I can get it under 21E, though. :v:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
I just started buying Malifaux don't make me get Infinity as well :ohdear:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Team Covenant has stuff for the next Monpoc set: Big In Japan! up for pre-order now. They got monsters, character units, buildings, etc available in singles and lot format. Check it out yo. :dance:

http://covenanttcg.com/store/series-5-big-in-japan-faction-pack.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just read the infinity weapon chart, jesus gently caress HMGs :aaaaa:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Not sure if the prices are worth it, but the Rackham store just re-launched and they're having a 50% off sale on certain items through the 14th.

http://www.rackham-store.com/en

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Where are the rules for Infinity? Do you need to buy a book or something? :raise:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/index.php/descargas

Rules are free for Infinity. Super fun game. Next time I play I'll try to remember to take pictures and do a battle report.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 2, 2010

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

Or you can check out my very WIP rework: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1353017/Infinity%202nED%20Rewrite%20v0.02.pdf

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Just downloaded most of the files on the website, but the Combine Army list was 'damaged beyond repair'.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

lighttigersoul posted:

Just downloaded most of the files on the website, but the Combine Army list was 'damaged beyond repair'.

download it again then

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

KyloWinter posted:

download it again then

It's the link that's the problem, I can't even get it open to save to my harddrive. Tried it three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity_ENG/index.php/descargas/doc_download/71-combined-army-add-to-list

the link works just fine for me

regardless, most units are in the big 2ed army and weapons list. those other files are just a handful of units from the expansion book.