Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Has anyone here tried the game Bushido? I checked a few pages back, but saw no mention of it. I am kind of curious to try it out as it seem to just require five minis per side, and the rulebook is available for free online. But it would be great to hear if someone had any experience with the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fix posted:

Somebody just listened to World's End.

I did. I've seen the miniatures before but it hasn't been enough to make me look deeper into it, but the description of a system where you have a dice pool for melee and secretly "bet" attack and defence against each other sounds like an interesting mechanic in theory.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hedningen posted:

So, I'm looking for a good naval combat game/engine that is either fantasy-based, hackable for fantasy, or at least allows for some customization for people who aren't super-knowledgable about the Age of Sail. The reason is a bit long, but mostly boils down to "another game needs a way to resolve some naval battles that we can make somewhat transparent and allow for player interaction," plus I have a need to paint some tiny ships and build a naval table.

We've already handled some land battles with some hacked Saga and players appreciated knowing what rules were used and that strategy played a greater role than the original method of arbitration (rolling dice, constructing narrative to fit numbers). There's interest in handling some ancient game-history with it, but it's mostly "Naval battles are fun". In terms of fantasy, we're low-magic, which has made me hesitate on Uncharted Seas, which I've heard is somewhat unbalanced now that they tacked on a ton of rules.

So, what are some good fantasy naval combat systems? I've played Man O'War and have seen Uncharted Seas, but I'm otherwise clueless.

Personally, I don't think that Uncharted Seas is a good naval combat game. After playing a few games of it, I thought that it actually has very little to do with naval combat, and especially naval tactics.

If you wanted something slightly dumbed down and approachable, I'd check out Trafalgar. Trafalgar is pretty much Age of Sail fought with Warhammer dice mechanics (4+ to hits, etc.), so it's pretty easy to grasp for peope who have dabbled in those kinds of games. If you wanted something complicated and more grognardy, you could chek out Wooden Ships & Iron Men, or Signal Close Action. Those are more detailed and less simplistic, so they might not be as suitable if you just want something for quick side-show combats.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

enri posted:

Any recommendations for a game a 5 year old can enjoy with his dad? :shobon: I'm not looking for board games, just something straightforward that with models that I can paint up with my son and we can hurl dice around the table for.

Dropzone Commander may float your boat.

I have a 6 year old nephew. Last year me and his gaming dad made a simple tactical RPG/dungeon-crawl game out of Reaper's Bones minis and a cork notice board from IKEA. The advantage is that the miniatures are made of a softer plastic, almost all of them single pieces, and can take any kind of bending and similar abuse. So the kid can play with them as toys as well without them falling apart or the paint falling off. They are also quite cheap and you are set for a long time when it comes to presents. Birthday? Paint up some creepy goblins. Christmas? Paint up some new cool heroes.

The LEGO Heroica games are actually a very good starting point for a simplistic ruleset if you don't want to make one yourself, and we started playing it with the nephew when he was about 5. It is a dungeon crawl game with a very simple dice mechanic: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Heroica
You can play it with the sweet LEGO toys that omes in the box or you can make your own dungeon tiles and play it with Bones minis or similar. Cheap an durable, and if you go the LEGO route you can build all kinds of stuff if you have more LEGO blocks.
(EDIT: I didn't know that Heroica seems to be retired, at least in the US? Either way it is worth looking for if you like game for kids and LEGO)

Board of our own game:

The hexagons are cast in resin and glued on

Our home-made game itself is not that amazing as a game, but it has treasure cards, hero cards, ability cards and random encouters, which is quite exciting for a kid. Too bad he always ditch the rest of the party to hunt treasures for himself when we play. His favourite moe is to draw a teleport spell and just zap across the board to a treasure chest when the party gets swamped by ghouls or something. :3:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 20, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

enri posted:

This is gold, what a great idea... may have found myself a weekend project to slave over :)

bonus points because my son had his birthday not too long ago and someone bought him some star wars figures, not toys but they're like one-colour plastic figures that I've said he can use my paints to paint up. Unfortunately we were right in the middle of a house move so my paints haven't yet been unearthed from all of the associated moving house debris and he's forgotten about them, but I can probably work out some kind of simple game we an play together. The cork noticeboard idea is excellent though, I'll definitely use that.

This sounds good too, I'll take a look :D Thanks both :)

I'm glad you liked it. Actually we also have a bunch of the old pre-painted star wars skirmish game that came out a couple of years ago. Next project is to build a tatooine board for that game. It's a bit more complicated and might not suit a 5 yo, more like 6-7 I think. But pretty much all pre-painted minis are durable enough to play with kids, and old retired games are often cheap on e-bay and such. They often look better if you give them a new paint job, and you don't need to worry when they suddenly become paratroopers, rapidly infiltrating down a staircase. Durable is the key when gaming with kids.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

For most wargames I personally think that it is much better to have two sides than three, so if you are three players you should face two smaller forces against one that is roughly twice as large, or something like that. For four players you can have 2vs2, and so on.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

outlier posted:

Don't you have to buy the designated figures (and accompanying cards) to play that one? I've seen it at a few cons and it looks great but the walled garden approach but me off.

The homepage says that the stat cards are available to download for free in their shop, but I can't find them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I really don't get how the GZG site can't just snap a quick photo of stuff and send it off. I even offered to take a picture of some of the stuff I'd ordered and email it to him at one point.

I'm a historical gamer. I'm amazed by how many manufacturers and retailers who can't show even a single blurry image of a single miniature in a range.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Also traditional Wargaming in the UK has had a huge focus on conventions. Difference between UK and US cons is that playing games is a very minor part of a con in the UK and the focus is mainly on shopping. There's pretty much at least 1 show a weekend in the UK. I think this plays a part in the mindset of not worrying about pics online by manufacturers. They assume a large part of their trade will be seen and sold at a show.

One year I'm taking some days off and go to a UK con with my minis, just as an experience. Scandinavian cons are 95% gaming and a small vendor or two, selling magic cards. But then, there are no other local makers either, so...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Anybody playing Beyond the Gates of Antares? I like the look of the models and Rick Priestley seems like a pretty great guy, so I'd like to give it a chance.

Not personally, but I've heard it positively described as "revised Bolt Action" by people who have.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I've picked up a starter British Napoleonic army from Baccus, and it was nice. However, for my second army, I realized that I wanted to get my infantry from Baccus and cavalry from Adler, so a starter army would not be ideal. But Baccus also have infantry "starters", so I still picked one up.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Here are my British 6mm starter:

I'll have to see if I need to rebase anything, now that we're going to play Lasalle.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

xutech posted:

Konflikt 47 looks pretty interesting, as I prefer not actual ww2 settings or gates, but I did hear good things about bolt action rules. Can anyone comment?

BA is a popular game, but the weak point is that it doesn't recreate ww2 skirmished realistically, as it is more of a "put lots of toys on the table" kind of game. Which means that I think an over the top fantasy ww2 with mechas is a better theme for the rules, since ahistorical firefights becomes a moot point.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

You can also use the great Dust minis that are still out there to add to your army as Warlord's range builds up, which is a bonus.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

KirbyJ posted:

I realize this was a bit ago, but I've only just found the bundle and I'm looking for opinions on Osprey Wargames stuff in general before I take the plunge with this. I'm an absolute novice to the hobby, so I really have no idea what to expect. Any help would be appreciated!

My opinion is something like this:

1) Widely varying styles

Osprey doesn't have a design team like a "normal" game company. Some rules fall under an umbrella of similar games (like Field of Glory or Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant), while other are just one-off books that someone pitched to them.

2) Varying quality, both between and within games

Most games doesn't have a bunch of previous editions and polish behind them, so they are not always water tight. Especially when it comes to balance, which is very tricky to get right. This can often show after a few games, when you figure out the weak spots.

3) Simple and cheap

The last point is that the games are often far cheaper than even an army book for another game system, so you often get the value out of it, even though it only lasts a few games.

Overall, my recommendation is that I would not collect and paint a whole army for months to try out one of their games, as it might not hold my interest for that long. However, if it is a subject that I would get miniatures for anyway, I'd try it out. So if you have a bunch of Normans for SAGA, there's no reason not to try out Lion Rampant, and if you want to collect samurai dudes, you can try out Ronin, and so on. But most of all, look at reviews for the specific games, as Osprey use a kind of scatter shotgun approach to publishing their games, where they launch a lot of titles that no-one ever talks about, but also get a few neat ideas out there that gains traction.

Caveat: I've only really played Field of Glory and Ronin, but read a lot of stuff about some of their other games.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ambush Alley, with or without a re-skin with other miniatures? It's a game made for modern combat (think Somalia and Iraq), pitting small units against larger rebel/insurgent forces. It was later expanded in Force on Force. I think it had a solo play version in it.

http://www.ambushalleygames.net/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

*Adeptus Arbites. And I don't think they were in the original release, no? For most people, it must have been gang on gang violence.

AFAIK they were not in the original books, but was released later (in a White Dwarf?).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I can send stuff to the US for between 10 and 15 bucks that would costs at least three times as much to get sent back.

US postage fees are poo poo.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Had similar thoughts regarding using Bloodborne as the setting for a skirmish wargame

Isn't Malifaux very close when it comes to style?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I'm sure I've said this before but I keep thinking of Chain of Command Sci Fi, since it'd allow you to represent C&C and psychology differences with more emphasis than, say, 40k does. I keep mulling over stuff like orks adding their shock to their movement but keeping the firepower penalty, and being unable to inflict kills unless firing on command initiative (because they're inclined to just spray wildly otherwise), or things like marines having die-hards and always counting as in one level better cover, and then I end up thinking "Why not just write my own lists". I feel like there's something there, at least.

Do the lardies have a platoon scale sci fi game?

They have a Company level sci fi game. It's based on I Ain't Been Shot Mum, rather than CoC. I haven't tried either.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/product-category/quadrant-13/

We play a lot of CoC around here, and we've been tossing the idea around of how a sci-fi version would be. But we haven't found a way to make it work while not being, well, basically WW2 but with different models.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I was thinking of going with Perry samurai and ashiguru.

A pretty good idea. I think the old Wargames Factory minis actually work better for mass battles: while a lot of work to put together, the sometimes awkward poses are easier to blend into a big unit, than for skirmish games. And you can get what you need with 2-3 sets per side from Perry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

That...explains a lot. Although not why Warlord would just shove out the lovely Samurai sprues as part of their big new game - at least the Survivors are you know, good.

Then again, 'money' also explains that bit.

I think Warlord was a bit surprised at how well it sold. It don't think it was meant to be "their big new game", but rather one of their smaller side-shows like the Dr. Who or Terminator games.

It seems like they got the miniatures when they bought Wargames Factory, and were not sure what to make of them. So they funded a small simple skirmish game, put the sprues in a box, and released them without a grand plan about having them as anything close to a main part of their range. Initially it was shoved pretty deep down on the homepage, and it's obvious that they didn't make much effort to support the line (the rulebook is more or less two thin pamphlets, and it's obvious that it's not playtested enough to iron out a lot of basic FAQs). Then, to their surprise, it sold out a lot quicker than they expected: the pre-orders meant that they could not ship all orders to retailers, etc. It seems that there was a much bigger market for a simple and affordable samurai skirmish ruleset with a plastic starter box than anyone thought.

Now, to their credit, Warlord have answered this in a great way. The rules writers are active on the Facebook group, they've released an FAQ and are working on more questions, and they push fan-made stuff like campaign rules and such through their news letter and website. Since the rules are so short and basic, I hope they'll work out the best fan-made ideas and make a slightly more robust "1.1" version pretty soon. And the mediocre miniatures are easily enough to fix through buying better models somewhere else. I'm curious if Warlord plans to ever release more miniatures in the range, or if they'll stick to the plastics and occasional leader model as they did in the initial releases.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

I would bet on metals. Or a small partnership with the Perrys selling their stuff through the Warlord store like they do with some of their plastics.
In fact I might suggest that to them.

I think the difference is that they only sell Perry's plastic boxes, and Perry don't have a plastic samurai box, although I really really wish they made one.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

A clubmate is still waiting for his Beastmen army he ordered from Maelstrom. Yeah, that was a lovely move to pull off.

Basically they went bankrupt, and couldn't fulfill a ton of outstanding orders. Then suddenly, poof, Mierce turned up, with the same owner, and no debt.

There's a lot of threads out there if you want to read about the details.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/615473.page

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Does anyone have a link to that WD snippet where the guy talks about the exact opposite of netlisting? I don't think it was even in the internet era so maybe just referring to min-max army lists of that era - he talks (possibly tongue in cheek) about supergluing and gloss varnishing his miniatures, having them as parts of a whole but not varying the size of the regiment or what banners/etc. it was equipped with. The idea being that over time you just know what to do with them; good or bad.

I think it was a column by Jervis Johnson, but I can't find it.

E: d'oh, it was Stillman.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 11, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TTerrible posted:

It is not Parody at all. it's very, very Nigel Stillman / Jervis Johnson.

Jervis is AFAIK the main driver behind GWs "just talk to your opponent, who cares, points are bad" schtick.

Yes, and JJ was quite outspoken in WD that he found tournament gaming, and especially a RAW approach, to be unimaginable to him.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It's just as much the origin through RPGs that informed that sensibility. Early warhammer was more a large scale RPG, and not very conductive to competative playing.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I swear these guys only play against newbies and then brag about their win/loss record.

I'm the warseer poster with his W-L-D records written in my signature.

For each army.

For every game.

Look at my posts and weep, ye mortal.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

RE: the round/square base discussion from a little while back

I'm working on my own mini wargame, 28mm scale, and I'm curious about people's input on bases. I plan on having two slightly different sets of games using the same rules, one of which is a large-scale rank and file style game, with many units. The other would be a smaller skirmish game that uses essentially the same rule set, but tweaked so it can be played with 20 models or fewer per side.

Now the question is, should I stick with 28mm round bases, and use a War of the Ring type movement tray (if any of you remember that game) for the round bases, or go square? Square makes more sense for the main game, but wouldn't work as well for the skirmish.

These are the trays I'm talking about. For the main game, units are composed of Groups of 4 models, so having a bunch of 4-man movement trays (or 8, or 12, or whatever) would probably make the movement in the game so much faster.

Round bases in unit trays is a good compromise, as you're not stuck with a basing system, and it works with both systems with individual casualties and without. I use it for all my 28mm Napoleonic infantry.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

Does anyone know where I can get masses of plastic skellies that are unadorned? Like, just bare bones with weapons? So far, my only options are Reaper Bones and Ye Olde spear skellies from GW and that boggles my mind.

Wargames Factory made a box of Skeleton Warriors that are just like that. It's OOP now, but you might find it second hand.

http://www.diy-terrain.com/2015/01/wargames-factory-skeleton-warriors-review/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

Yeah, they came up early in my search and the company that made them seems to be defunct, now.

Warlord Games bought some of the sprues, and are now selling some but not all of the historical stuff. The sci-fi stuff are sold as Dreamforge Games. I haven't seen any of the fantasy stuff surface.

Warlord posted this on TMP almost exactly a year ago:

"Back in 2015 we became the exclusive worldwide distributor of the Wargames Factory range – and have since been working to have many of the kits re-tooled and re-packaged to bring them a little more into-line with the existing Warlord range. To date, we've re-released the Zombies and Zombie Survivor kits to great success with 'Project Z', the WSS kits, and the entire 'Rising Sun' range recently re-released as part of the hugely popular 'Test of Honour' range… with many others in the works.

We're working on these alongside our usual weekly releases supporting our existing ranges, and a number of other games in the pipeline… Phew! – there's plenty in-the-works from the Warlord studio. As 'Mike Target' righly mentions above – The Orcs, Skeletons and Amazons (among others) are indeed in the works, being re-tooled and re-packaged – and will re-appear for sale on the Warlord site soon.

The Orc sprues have – for now – sold-out, however there should be a re-stock inbound soon. If you want any further information on receiving automated alerts when they're re-stocked, or for any other queries, by all means drop us an email at info@warlordgames.com – and we'll be happy to help"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Other things may have gotten in the way - they've got that Doctor Who game going on, their sci-fi game, their Bolt Action and '47 stuff, etc.

The orc sprues are back in stock though, so...

I keep wondering who the hell plays the Doctor Who game, as I've never seen anyone post about it. But they keep churning out products for it, so evidently someone does.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, martian front was 18mm iirc, and could easily have been smaller. The tripods could stay the same, but just make the humans smaller.

Most none skirmish games are to big.

We've considered 2mm for army games: the meeting point between chits and miniature games.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Default is the wrong word. Back in the day, minimum unit size was 5 models and that would have been deployed in a single rank. However, if you look at sample army lists printed in the army books or in White Dwarf, you'll notice that a lot of units were being built in ranks of 4. Units were also sold in boxes of 8 or in 4 and 4 if they had two unit types in the box. The first plastic regiments (Empire?) were 16 models if I recall correctly.

Yeah, at least in 4th and 5th edition it was a big choice wether to go for depth or width. Usually if you wanted to minimize damage caused to you you'd run 4 wide, and if you wanted to cause damage you ran 5 or more wide. Like for a greenskin army, a 4th ed gobbo unit could easily have a 4 wide formation with just bosses in the front rank.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

LashLightning posted:

If 7th & 8th were similar to 6th, then you needed a minimum of five figures in a rank to claim a "rank bonus" for the after-combat leadership checks. A standard bearer would give an additional point, each wound by your side would count, and musicians break ties.

I think there was a max of 3 rank bonuses you could have, so a 5x4 unit/twenty figures for infantry was what you wanted.

Yeah I think the minimum width for rank bonus changed from 4 to 5 in 6th ed?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

There's a brand new tactical naval WW1 game called Heart of Leviathan, I'm not even sure it has shipped yet but it might be worth checking out. I've only seen some previews, but it seems to have some interesting things going on.

http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/2019/heart-of-leviathan-previews/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I kind of like how Deadzone solved the issue: the experience/loot/whatever you get is not your guys getting better, but your faction unlocking options. So you get to choose between more and more options, but those options are still costed reasonably. That way you feel like you get some progress in the campaign, but it still stays a lot more fair than in games like Necromunda.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cassa posted:

There are some companies according to wikipedia that do 'micro' scale. And 1/100 gundams can fit in with your Flames of War people at a stretch. I'm pretty sure there was a fan made ruleset floating around a while back.

Victrix is making a big push for 12mm WW2 minis this year, which IIRC is closer to 1:144 than FoW.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'd say the opposite, Lion Rampant entire core is that it is a "push your luck" game (just like Blood Bowl), i.e. the main gameplay is weighing risks and rewards when choosing the order by which you activate your units. The turnover rule is not arbitrary, it's the basis of the game. If you take away that rule, there just wouldn't be much gameplay left in there since everything else is so streamlined.

Of course then it's up to whether you like "push your luck" games or hate them. But it's like knocking Ludo for using dice to determine how far you move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

On the other hand from my recollection it doesn't really interact with any other important rules so it's very easy to house rule out

And you're left with... a very bland version of Saga without the boards?