Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Mr.Booger posted:

Anyone have experience with 5150: Star Army rules? Ordered a copy to maybe use with my growing 15mm sci-fi collection. I really like 15mm sci-fi stuff, but haven't found rules I am super excited to play, even started on my own ruleset just in case, but would like some options.

I heard there was a RTS style ruleset in the works a few years back, that sounded sweet, but google only turns up beta rules from 2011, nothing since.

Out of curiosity, what 15mm-compatible rulesets have you tried? I'm looking to get into 15mm sci-fi gaming and have hoarded a fair number of rules - Gruntz, Tomorrow's War, both 5150 releases, PMC 2640, Fireteam Andromeda, etc - and can't decide which ones actually seem worthwhile. Reviews are either super-grognardy or so light as to be almost useless. And contradictory, with an equal mix of people who think Tomorrow's War is awful and people who think it's amazing.

Gotta say as a fan of Epic and Warmachine/Hordes, the 15mm space seems to be a perfect compromise with some gorgeous models available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Thing is, most reviews go "Tomorrow's War is pretty much Stargrunt II only better". Future War Commander is popular with the Epic crowd, I'll have to have a look through it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I've since played four games of Songs of Blades and Heroes and can confirm that it's as fun as heck - the only thing which drags it down are how the mechanics take precedence over the narrative IMO, but then I'm getting more into RPG and less into wargaming as time progresses, I think.

I bought the pdf but the game seems really shallow at first look. Does any real tactical depth exist?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Serotonin posted:

We squeezed a 3v3 starter game of Guildball in after our usual Warmachine session and it was a lot of fun. Butcher V Fishermen. Ended up 6-4 to the Fishermen with a last gasp play by Shark (only fishface left standing) who had he failed would have been annhilated by Ox , losing the game.

We kept it simple, no terrain, no plot cards, but it was a good game with a lot of promise.

By 3v3 do you mean models per side or players per team? If it's the latter, how well does that work?

I enjoy the mad multi-player games of Dreadball but an alternative would be sweet.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hordes Of The Things would be the obvious choice for fantasy DBA

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

spectralent posted:

I'm digging Dirtside II at the moment, especially as it's giving me an excuse to paint 6mm stuff, but it appears like the third edition's fallen into a void, and also nobody plays it. What other options are there for 6mm wargames aside from Epic?

Future War Commander.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Also, Tomorrow's War is the spiritual successor to dirtside 2.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

What makes it good?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The Guildball special triggers sound an awful lot like the mechanics of Arena Rex...

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd love if Epic were still a thing. Seems I've missed that boat though. What I'm really looking for is a good 2-player starter box with decent quality minis that I can paint up and have on hand if I want to play a game of that scale. Dropzone Commander seemed interesting but something about it is off-putting and nothing about Planetfall looked that great.

It's absurdly easy and cheap to get people into Epic, though. Buy a couple of small armies worth from Onslaught Minis and play Minigeddon to get them hooked.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Titans can be scratch built but you can snipe some off eBay for a reasonable price. Depends on the army.

Plenty of armies don't need big titans: space marines, necrons, dark eldar, tau, or you can scratch build tyranid bio titans with some 25mm models pretty easily.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Chain Reaction from 2 Hour Wargames uses an Infinity-style activation system I think.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Even the gorgons aren't awful.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Has anyone heard any news about Polyversal? About a year ago it was being hyped up as the hot new thing in 6mm gaming...

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Other than it failed? Honestly, 6mm is always going to be a niche thing - people see "6mm" and immediately freak out about painting the stuff. Their funding goals were way too high. They should have funded the rule set, and made armies a secondary purchase - I think the publisher was more of the "complete boxed experience" mindset. On the other hand, the designer went into the project assuming that "everyone has a closet full of 6mm sci-fi models - I know I do" (which is a weird assumption to make.)

Didn't know they'd finally opened up a kickstarter for it. I'm not sure I disagree with the guy's premise about 6mm models, given his target audience, but it sure as Hell shows ignorance of what makes a successful crowd funded gaming project...

Shame.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Regular reminder that Mierce is run by an utter scumbag. Do not give them money.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I don't know much about mierce - what's the story there?

Short version is the previous version of the company deliberately cut and run with customer money to set up the new one.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I actually tried to find out on TMP and ended up down the rabbit hole of terrible threads and opinions without finding any useful info. No idea how it holds up against Horizon Wars and friends, and now I'm scarred for life.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

http://www.onslaughtmini.com/

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The errata / FAQ for Guild Ball explicitly states that the active model counts as a friendly model in range in case your opponent needed any more convincing.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Anyone have any exposure to Gruntz 15mm? I've always been interested in 15mm sci-fi and this system looks pretty good. From what I saw on their forums looks like a version 2 is coming in the "near future"

http://www.gruntz.biz/

It's serviceable. The guy basically tried to make a really lightweight version of Warmachine / Hordes and nicked a load of mechanics from those games.

The unit builder is a nice touch.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'd have to go back and check the book for specifics, but that's one of the major ways in which it nicks from WMH including how armour, buffs, and debuffs affect it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jodai posted:

Does anyone play Eden? I tried it at Adepticon and immediately loved it; post apocalyptic objective based skirmish game played on a 2x2 board. I just don't think there's any real chance for it to blossom into a big game. For one thing, there was a flood of post apocalypse games, it seems.

That sounds right up my street. This one? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/109070/eden-survive-apocalypse

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, it's a prime target for proxying.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You sure do love posting about Mierce, IT :)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Sad news. None of their games really hit the mark but they produced some lovely models.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They are fantastic. I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from them. Can't recommend them highly enough, and if there was ever a chance of me playing epic regularly I'd buy a ton of armies.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

goodness posted:

Okami Combine Order Arrived: Overall I am very impressed with the models. They are so tiny! The detail they are able to get on these small models is really incredible.

Awesome. I really like the Okami.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Facing can still be important, it's just that square or rectangular bases are primarily used for models you might rank up.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Epic also uses round bases!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Round bases have been a thing in epic since the early days.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I have stuff from back when it was still a going concern that's on GW circle bases for infantry.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure what bases you have, but they weren't for Epic. I've been playing since Adeptus Titanicus and the only two infantry base styles are square and rectangle.

I wonder if it's just the ones for heavy weapons teams bought en masse then? They were definitely before the times of competing products being easily available... Curious. Warmaster was always square/rectangular for infantry, right?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Yeah, too long ago to remember for sure.

Some armies look awesome on rounds, it has to be said.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Games workshop Nurgle stuff plus ripoffs would be the obvious place to start.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Opposed >d6 sounds like it's straight from Infinity

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

And who are okay with dealing with scumbag companies

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Shame they're not going the pre paint route.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

JcDent posted:

Wrote a review for Blessed Ivan's Renegade Scout, a Rogue Trader retroclone:
https://www.barreldrill.com/renegade-scout-review/

This was an interesting read. Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dropfleet Commander?