Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Have any of you ever played a game called Void? A guy I know with a shitload of minis from years ago when it was still easily available in the US keeps talking up the game but we haven't been able to get any test games in yet and I can't find any good reviews of it to know what its like or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm going to go ahead and post this here since there isn't a thread for Origins or one for Malifaux anymore. The group I go down with will be running Malifaux events that aren't listed in the book and only mentioned on the Wyrd forums as far as I know.

quote:

30 SS Scrap
Cost: 4.00
Thursday 9pm

60 SS Brawl
Friday 9pm

Malifaux Out of the Box
Saturday 6pm
A beginner event for players exposed to Malifaux at the convention. Players must purchase a starter Malifaux Crew box and bring it to the event. First hour is for Crew assembly. Players will be paired for a Swiss Round tournament, number of rounds dependent upon number of players.

Wyrd will provide prizes in the form of booth credit for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Also Available..

Malifaux Pick Up Games
Thursday, Friday, Saturday 10am to 6pm
Cost: 1 token per hour
Hey want to play Malifaux. Then, stop by and play - you don't even need models or another player - we can provide both.

Malifaux off the Wall
Friday midnight
This is going be nuts - everyone prepare for fun. This is a multi-player event where everything is subject to change right down to Crew size. Some players might have different builds. We are hoping this will encourage the intensity of your strategy and encourage diplomacy.

I have no idea if any of you are interested in these or not but I figured no harm would be done in posting. I have no idea what that off the wall thing is but I really hope they let me know since I'm apparently the guy running it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

This looks to be the right thread. I want to play a new miniature game but I'm not sure what.

I've played:

Warhammer 40k which is alright but too much money and too clunky.

Warhammer Fantasy 6th ed (I think) and had some fun with that and I have the Skaven battle force box but I've heard the rules changed for the worse and it's also too much money to get into.

Warmachine/Hordes which I have an okay sized Khador force and I really did enjoy the game. We stopped playing right after mk2 came out because my friend went and had a kid.

Malifaux which was fun but run by assholes and I won't give them another dime again.

And most recently a friend and I each got Dark Age force boxes at Gen Con 2014. And it's a fun quick game but still not what I'm looking for.

What I want in a game doesn't exist but here goes:
*Preferably SciFi
*Larger than skirmish level
*10mm looks neat how do those play?
*I've always been a fan of space bug/mutant style things so if the game has those it's a plus

Ideally it would be a miniature game that feels like I'm pushing a full army worth of space men at other space men but not be as clunky as 40k.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not to derail your question but when you say Malifaux is/was run by assholes do you mean the company or the local players?

The company.

Edit: To elaborate. In 2010 we got in touch with Wyrd to run events for then at Origins. Malifaux hadn't been out long and my game group thought the figures and rules seemed pretty sweet and they didn't have any events going. Wyrd goes for it and gives us prize support and tells us they'll even send us some faction boxes so we can run demos.

Months pass and we haven't gotten any of these miniatures in the mail like we were told we would. So it's the first day of Origins and we're setting our booth up. We have to wait until the vendor hall opened before we could touch bade with Wyrd and they give us the miniatures. They aren't assembled or painted and we're told "you need to assemble to with pins and bring them back Sunday" so I spend time assembling these miniatures and then start running my demos and tournaments. Sunday comes and I've decided I wanted to buy the Lilith box and they really wanted me to buy an unassembled box for some reason. So after a couple minutes they relented and just let me buy the one I'd already assembled and been using all weekend.

Then a couple years later the guy that originally approached them about running events in 2010 when the game was still new asked if he could interview them for his blog. The answer? "Nope you're too small time."

Kind of assholey behavior in my opinion.

Len fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 20, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NTRabbit posted:

Have you considered Dropzone Commander?

Seems to meet all of your criteria

Dropzone commander does look really cool but I can't seem to find any sort of reviews for it. How does it play?

moths posted:

...for making needlessly complex plastic kits with minimal points of contact with the base? Yes, absolutely.

Is there more to it?

From what they told us in 2010 it's intentional that the figures look doofy. They want you to buy their basing bits. That was the official line we were given for why that two headed tiger looks dumb as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quote is not edit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JoshTheStampede posted:

That doesn't even make sense but ok.

It's sculpted to go on their official Wyrd mini rock apparently.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone know any newbie friendly mini games? I want to get the girlfriend into one but she's never played a mini game before. I'm planning to check out whatever's at Gencon until we find something she thinks is easy and affordable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LumberingTroll posted:

This is just a few off the top of my head there are a lot more, if you can give me a little more info on what she likes I can try to come up with some more recommendations, like if she likes sci-fi or fantasy, would find mass battle, or skirmish more interesting etc.

She's just starting to poke her head into nerd poo poo because of me so I'm not really sure if the mass battles would really appeal to her. She's a fan of light pulpy sci-fi (Doctor Who type stuff) and those really bad modern fantasy romance poo poo like Twilight. Maybe we'll check out Malifaux because while I'm not really a fan of the people in charge the game was fun and I have a couple starter boxes from the first wave of figs in 2010. I also have some Warmahordes and Dark Age guys so we're gonna check those out too but I don't know if she'll really be into either of those. She's surprisingly cavalier about game though and is willing to at least try whatever I want her to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone have an opinion on Mercs?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's Warlands by Aberrant but I've never played it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tell me about Frostgrave. It sounds neat and mostly affordable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The demo of Mercs I tried had turn order determined based on d10 rolls at the beginning of the round. So you'd activate in different orders each time which seemed neat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've posted a few times in the past but I've actually got the income now so time to post again.

I miss playing miniature games and want to get back into it. In the past I did Warmachine but I don't think I've played since m 2 launched and it seems like a lot of effort to get back into it. Also more than I'm looking to pay. The couple game shops in my area with minis do Warhams, xwing and Flames of War none of which are really my jam.

Basically I'm looking for something to dive into where I could drop ~$50 and get rules and enough figures to have a varied match against people. To start with I'd probably just be forcing my girlfriend to play and she's a beginner so rules that are easy to teach yet have enough depth to keep things interesting. This does mean I'd be looking at ballpark $100 to get started but that would also mean I'd have an extra set of guys sitting around to try and get friends interested.

I'm more of a sci-fi aesthetic but I'll take any suggestions. Hit me with your best shots please

Malifaux is right out because I've had a bad experience with Wyrd and I'm not giving them more money.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have a starter box for Dark Age somewhere. A friend of mine also did but his dog ate the figs because Doug is dumb as hell.

Maybe I'll track it down and make the gf choose one she likes the look of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've only played a couple one off games of Frostgrave but I had fun with it. I'd like to actually have a constant game though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's a tournament, it's on the developers and organizers to make the game as fair and balanced as possible.

If it's with your friends do whatever the gently caress you want.

My friends little brother used to be with us and playing for fun and then we went to a Warmachine tournament and he got the prize for most losses and started playing for fun with bullshit tournament rules. "I don't have to show you what Harbingers feat hits. You just have to guess." Fuckin' prick. He didn't think it was as funny when I just turned my entire army around so they couldn't see her and thus not catch fire.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LumberingTroll posted:

Does anyone play mini-wargames using Tabletop Simulator? Im a bit of a shut in and it would be nice to get a game in that way, especially to learn new games. I think Squadron Strike would be great on there.

I'd be down. I can't afford a miniature game and live in a GW only zone

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cobaltshift posted:

Has anyone played much of the Mercs game by Megacon? There is a shop near me that just put all the starters and the rule books into clearance for ridiculously cheap. Tempted to get a couple...

I demoed it at Gencon a few years back it seemed fun but that's all I remember about it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wanted to try Infinity but the last time me and my minigame playing buddy had disposable income the guy running demos at Gencon kept going "I don't have time come back later" and there is no infinity scene here.

Is Void still a thing? It had dinosaurs and people riding them into battle which appeals to my inner 5 year old.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Thundercloud posted:

It wasn't Warlord Games, it was Mongoose. Mongoose contracted the manufacture of minis to Warlord when they lost their manufacturing facility because at that point they'd also lost all their minis licences except the 2000 AD ones.

Mongoose has just been a poo poo show with mini licencing.

Origins 2006 Starship Troopers is huge with a large amount of players and a big ol tournament.

Origins 2007 it's dead

At least I have some really neat arachnid miniatures to practice painting on if I ever stop being lazy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man what's the failure rate for miniature games? I feel like it has to be worse than TCGs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What did Reaper do?

Edit: a guy I know used to try and push Rezolution a lot and from what I played it was a neat fun cyberpunky game. But I don't think it's had any new material in like 10 years

Len fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 28, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to play it but much like xwing and Armada I won't because I can't afford it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did anything cool come out of Gencon this year?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Did anything ever come from the Shadowrun miniature game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

S.J. posted:

Well, Riot Quest aside, MonPoc seems to be doing just fine :v:

Did they change it from the original release? I always wanted to try it but never got around it buying anything since I was the only person I knew who did

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced guillotine?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Irate Tree posted:

28mm. I don't mind some of the GW ones but they're not really what i'm after, aesthetically.

Those aren't bad but the roman design isn't what i'm after, either. =/

Like, literally, just a giant crossbow on legs! Like the High Elf bolt thrower in design but with less bird bits and more rugged.

Dunno what scale it was or how much they would run but the old board game Weapons and Warriors was about using siege weapons to knock dudes down and it had ballistas

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A friend is interested in picking up a minigame and I've gone down this road with him before. Is Frostgrave still the go-to for cheap rules that let you field anything? I have him and another guy intrigued in giving it a shot since the main goal is who can ascend their wizard to godhood first.

Just wasn't sure if there were any other options

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've got a shitload of medium based figures for Shadows of Brimstone that we can use to substitute in for stuff. I don't see anything actually coming from this because this guy is notoriously flakey though ):

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yvonmukluk posted:

So they've announced a new Marvel Miniatures game (it's apparently in 40mm scale though, which is kind of a bummer).

They've put up the rules for free for people to check out.

Is this different from the mini game FFG announced?

Because that makes what, three different Marvel mini games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Didn't the people who make the DC models also do a Marvel game?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Part of me wants it to not have a scene around me because I miss playing minis games and don't have the funds to get back into one

The other part wants it to because I have poor impulse control and like superheroes. And if it catches on they can get really weird with it.

Where's my ghost Rider/red hulk/venom hybrid? He existed in a comic once and I want to field that to punch out Frankencastle and Godzilla

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neat, they used a LNOE model in their promotional pictures.

But also dinosaurs need to be in more games and I'm going to have to check this out when I get more time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Marvel teams are already whoever happens to be around

One Defenders team was Doctor Strange, Red She-Hulk, Namor, the Silver Surfer and Iron Fist

Agent Venom, Red Hulk, and Ghost Rider once teamed up to fight crime and it led to Red Hulk becoming a ghost riding symbiote

Wolverine has been on every team ever I think

Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom teamed up to raid hell that one time

The X-Men are a revolving door of befriending villains and having then heel turn

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My lgs just got crisis protocol in and it's going to be 20%off Saturday. It's real tempting to buy it but there probably won't be anyone playing it so it will just be me alone with a core set.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's enough for some pickup games to pull people in!

It ended up being 30% but I passed. Apparently the distributor added it into the demo library so he's planning to buy it for the library.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I hope this game does well enough that we start to see more Spider-Man villains. Just give me Electro and Mysterio!

I want it to catch on so they can mine really ridiculous one offs. Like the time Red Hulk wore Venom and borrowed the Ghost Rider powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How is Star Wars Legion? The game shop has the core set for $45 which seems like an okay price?