Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Batman Miniatures Game from Knight Models. The sculpts are pretty rad, but I was wondering how worthwhile the actual game itself is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I have a ton of the Rackham Griffins that I will never get to use. The models they turned out for Confrontation were really amazing, still some of my favorites.

I do use them for other games on occasion, when I can

I am glad I was able to buy almost the entire Dwarves of Mid-nor range from a local store when they were going out of business. Such neat sculpts.

There were a few guys who played locally then Rackham destroyed itself. :rip:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Two that come to mind are Wrack & Ruin, and Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish

Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish is a lot of fun. It is simple, and the hero classes cover all the thematic bases for adventures that you need.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LordAba posted:

So... anyone heard anything about Maelstrom's Edge? Is it DOA?

This post is literally the first I have heard in ages,so that isn't the best sign.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Zark the Damned posted:

They had some good games, it's just they lack the ability to concentrate on them so keep churning through whatever FOTM game it is they're working on and abandon their old properties at the drop of a hat.

I bought a fleet for Uncharted Seas and had a buddy interested in getting one so we could have cool fantasy ship battles. :unsmith:

Two months later the game was totally abandoned.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

S.J. posted:

And if I can't play as Battle Droids then I legit don't care.

Unironically this

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Oof, that's pretty bad. Hopefully people who haven't gotten their stuff will be able to claw back their money somehow, but I don't know how that works for something like a KS where you may have paid months or years ago.

Yeah, this is savage. The definitely seems like a everyone showed up to work Monday but the owner changed the locks on the door situation.

The stuff about having to cancel payments personally and Good Luck is super rough. I am glad that I got burned on Uncharted Seas now. Naval games were always really tempting to get into.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Us KS backers are still being left in the lurch though :(

The dangers of not waiting for retail. :shrug:

I find this to be a really interesting move. When someone bought the huge flop that was WWX I was shocked, but to buy other failed garbage before having any success seems risky. I am sure they have plans to revive these franchises so I am interested to see what they do. Maybe just focus on one game until it has a foothold in the Naval Space Games market or whichever?

I haven't seen any increased interest in Wild West Exodus, but I guess we will see.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I just picked up Dracula's America: Shadows of the West last night. After finding out it was a Western Skirmish Wargame (!) about how President Lincoln put his pal Dracula (!!) in charge of America after he was assassinated. Old Drac the defeats the Confederacy and declares martial law. (!!!)

The game it self looks really good, much more than I was expecting. It fairly simple, but had cool rules for stuff like Overwatch and shooting the stick of dynamite in someone's hand that they are about to throw. Overall looks easy and quick.

My favorite thing is the turn system. You draw a hand of cards equal to half the number of models, plus one if your leader is alive, then you and your opponent play one face down and highest card goes first, then lowest. Seems like a nice way to do integrated turns, and you can push for a double turn if you really need it. Helps with the multi-player problem in games like this too I should think.

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised about was that your gang can be part of one of six (!!!!) factions. They are all basically pick two of your guys to have your faction gimmick. The Monster Hunter Knights get two guys with boilerplate armor and silver bullets, Dracula guys get two vampires, the devil Cult gets a summoner and a possessed guy, Native Americans get two shape-shifting guys, Voudo guys get a guy who is ridden by a Loa and can raise fallen guys as Zombi, and the Dark Confederacy get a Necromancer and 1d3+1 free zombie chumps for free each game.

If you like western themed stuff this is a great little game. Hopefully I can give it a shot sometime soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

jodai posted:

Oh, hey, add Frostgrave as a game that can technically be played on a 2x2 board, as well as the previously mentioned Dracula's America: Shadows of the West.

I own DA because of Lord Hambrose's recommendation and a pile of Wild West Exodus cowboys I love but are not going to get used for the game they are for. I'm incredibly surprised how easy and fun the basic game seems but all of the supernatural stuff is integrated in a way that allows the players to choose their level of supernatural. From just a couple magic cowboys included in the shootout to a fight in a vampire infested town interrupted by a sasquatch who ignores the werewolves to go after the angel. It's got a similar feel to Malifaux in fluff but the gameplay is much more straight forward. It's great! Thanks for the rec!

Thanks! I really like how understated the supernatural stuff is. If you ignore the faction rules you are left with really solid western game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

I know someone upthread discussed Dracula's America - any other thoughts on it? I'm very tempted by the secretly-angelic gunslingers, and could use a Weird West setting that isn't bloody Deadlands.

I have played a few games of it now and It works pretty well. All the gangs are the same except for the two special guys that you get so it is pretty easy to keep track of everything.

One thing I particularly like that I was unsure about that I turned out really liking is that other than pistols you are only allowed one of each gun in your posse. Keeps one gang from just becoming a Sniper force and helps your otherwise generic owlhoots have more personality.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Korgan posted:

Was that meant to be "outlaws" or is there something even weirder lurking among the cowboys of Dracula's America?

Haha, no. It is just a term to refer to bandits and outlaws because they would use owl sounds to signal each other.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Commissar Kip posted:

I just order my Dracula poo poo through Annie (Bad Squiddo Games).

:drac:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Earthdawn 4 Life

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

spectralent posted:

What'd Mierce do?

Here we go

:allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Any reason at all to give a poo poo about the Confrontation Kickstarter?

The game is fun, so hopefully the will reveal the type of plastic soon. At this price point though...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Fortunately I already have all the Griffin figures they are offering and more besides, so I remain untempted.

They also have announced they are going to be doing a Kickstarter for the new edition in the future so this seems like just a way for them to get models produced for the game they actually want to make.

I will just wait for that, unless they come to their senses and offer faction bundles or something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

They still haven't shown materials or models. So I would be very hesitant.

Compare it to what was shown months before the batman kickstarter. Models, gameplay, board prototypes.

They are allegedly going to reveal the kind of plastic that they are going to be using today sometime. This is going to make or break this project for a lot of people on fence.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

As someone who loved what Confrontation I played at the end of its life, I am pretty much the target for this kickstarter. I even back a lot of Kickstarters!

Unfortunately there are too many red flags for the price they are charging. Not having all the information at launch is bad. I am backing at the one dollar level now in the event they get to the Mid-Nor Royal Court add on, bit lol at people backing for the full box with what we know now.

Especially when this isn't even the new edition they are kickstarting later

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Blood and Plunder looks amazing, especially if you embrace the madness of 28mm ship battles.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

If anyone has played GW's Lord of the Rings game, does anyone know of a game thats similar? Small skirmishes with heroes, and all of the fights are one-on-one duals.

I'm trying to write up some houserules for it to make it less finicky and make the magic not totally poo poo, and I was thinking there's probably another game that could be played that feels like a good alternative. Something that can be fun with 10 or 100 models per side.

http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/shop/product-category/otherworld-skirmish-rules-and-accessories/

I like the Other world miniatures rules set a fair bit for a few cool heroes vs cool villains and their trash helpers. It is pretty simple with a very GW style system and classic high fantasy stuff going on. You can modify the heroes slightly which is nice to flavor them which is a nice surprise.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just because they are dropping it doesn't mean they won't try and sell what they have already produced though. It is a good idea, but it died day one around here.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

S.J. posted:

Any decent fantasy skirmish games out there? Something more mechanically sound and competitive than frostgrave.

Honestly, the Lord of the Rings game is one of the best and just got a new edition. Pretty limited setting, but it plays like a dream.

As far as smaller press stuff I had a lot of fun with the Otherworld Skirmish Game, but you have to like that classic 70s and 80s style fantasy

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Yeah, I am excited to try Battle Companies. I am planning on trying it out as I build and paint up these new guys.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Struggling company Privateer Press has the courage to make a video to guarantee that a new product line is definitely going to be a huge failure, and I think we have to respect them for that.

Fingers crossed that someone decent will take over there properties when it is all over.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hedningen posted:

Any recommendations for small model-count fantasy with advancement? Considering running The Vampire Hunters in Mordheim, but the warbands are a bit limited.

This has been my hobby white whale for the last few years. I really should get back on building my town for it... At least getting all the enemy stuff isn't too much of a challenge.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

There is not a gaming store in the world that is going to see more than a game or two (at best) of Oathmark. I am definitely glad these guys are continuing to make cool multipart kits, and if the Oathmark rules are as cheap as the Frostgrave rules I will pick them up.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

Did some testing of Rangers for an LP I'm planning, and boy, do the dice swing.

Giant Rat (1 hp, Fight +0) took 6 of my Rogue's 10 HP and 3 off a Man-at-Arms before being killed by the Rogue in the third combat.

When you do a d20 roll-off and the best modifier in the team is +3 on the ranger, things are already rough, and when you take into account that you do damage of Your 20 roll + Modifiers - Enemy Armor (12 if you're wearing heavy/are a zombie)...

The fact that in practice every hit is either meaningless or insanely brutal is one of the big problems I have with the Frostgrave system. Still, it works well enough even if it is always extemely unsatisfying. I hope the Rangers stuff is better.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

That sounds really good. I liked This is Not a Test a whole lot, so I am glad he is doing more games.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

I was thinking of doing an LP of Rangers, but my first test... did not go well. I don't remember the specific at this point, but the damage system is very swingy and there's a good chance that your ranger will get taken out by a rat.

I played a bunch of Frostgrave when it first came out, but the combat always felt so weird and unsatisfying. I looked into Rangers of the Shadow Deeps because it sounds like a really cool idea but it having the same exact system killed it for me. Attacks either doing nothing at all or instantly slaughtering things isnt anything new, but at least GW gives you one or two wounds and not 10 so it feels less stupid.

Now Dracula's America is a cool game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I wonder how similar it will be to the previous Judge Dredd game from a few years ago. I assume it will use those models.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone try Crisis Protocol yet? The new Marvel game, the sculpts seem pretty good for it overall.

I think they were demoing it at Nova, and from what I remember people enjoyed it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

There have been some wonderful tournament rules for this in 7TV 2nd ed. Since the game is set in dubious 70s cult television shows, last year every tournament player was given two product placement mandates and had to slip them into their games somewhere for extra VPs.

This year it's public service broadcasting, so the first time a hero unit claims an objective both players have to do an edutainment skit explaining how kids really shouldn't do that at home. Remember, unshielded nuclear reactors are not places to play! You can also take "science consultants" to do square-jawed public education sequences discussing the real science behind your plasma weapons etc.

:allears: This sounds wonderful

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I hope this game does well enough that we start to see more Spider-Man villains. Just give me Electro and Mysterio!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Circle of Four was a gem :swoon:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Did they just kind of give up on Malifaux 3E?

Yeah, locally when 3rd came out everyone had already moved to other games and just shrugged indifferently about a new edition. It seems fine, but 2nd was fine too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Have you considered a roleplaying game?

The Space Hulk experience is pretty specific but otherwise just find a generic dungeon crawl game and call a gun a now. Not familiar with any.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cassa posted:

I should probably take it up in the Frostgrave thread, but I despise it's one roll resolution system.

It is a huge shame because I love everything about the game except for its extremely dogshit system.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Frostgrave is a lot like oatmeal. It can seem like something that you really want, and certainly is a nice thing from time to time. But no matter how many cool extra bits it has you are mostly eating flavorless mush.

I played a lot of Frostgrave when it came out, and maybe 2nd edition did something to balance the spell lists better, but it is ultimately just unsatisfying as hell. Your guys tend to either do nothing or one shot people. The differences in the stats mean that nearly every type of henchmen plays identically, as a cool knight is only slightly more deadly that a gold hauling hobo you picked up on the street.

They probably should have squished the dice down to d10s, the d20 just isn't that impactful.

Frostgrave isn't miserable to play or anything, it just... Isn't good? If I am going to spend hours playing a game I want something that feels better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just try Megamek and see if you like it. It is a great program, and the game hasn't changed in literal decades so no worries there.