Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Squadron Strike : Traveller is Wargame Vault's deal of the day.

https://adastragames.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b297dfbde535f58399f8d0ab7&id=9773d8d157&e=8e541ea770

$10 for PDFs of the rules, play aids, ships, setting, and tutorial.

We play and teach Squadron Strike online, no purchase required, schedule a tutorial here: https://www.ascbi.net/learn

Wow I didn't know that Attack Vector still existed. Nice miniature design but holy poo poo even reading the rules gave me a headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

The virtual tabletop started as a generic computerized AVID (the 3d orientation play aid), grew into being able to play Squadron Strike including rolling dice and (manually) marking hits on SSDs. Support for the slightly different mechanics in Attack Vector is being tested now. You should jump into a teaching session sometime, the VTT makes the game play much simpler, and having a real person explain the rules is a big help.

I always felt that it would have done so much better when run on a PC.

I recall someone posting a battle report on TMP which gave a truly terrible impression of the game. 1 ship a side, 3 hours and the conclusion was 2 ships disengaging due to too high relative velocities and 1 of them having some paint scorched off...

Edit - did the Honor Harrington game make the transition to an app?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Should give those characters the "PTSD" perk after their urchin dies.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

On that note, anyone have good 15 mm sci fi recommendations?

White Dragon Miniatures do amazing mecha and power armour.

Brigade Models have the Old Crow 15mm/Hammer's Slammers range and those are excellent sculpts in spite of their age.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Charles Get-Out posted:

Worth noting that Reaper stuff is generally slightly larger than Frostgrave models.

Frostgrave is heroic 25mm so will be shorter than Reaper's heroic 28-30mm. Not too noticeable from a distance but they are definitely on the smallest end of the spectrum of 28mm (and adjacent) figures.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
You don't make money selling rules. You make money selling minis.

Rules are just there to sell minis and if you can offload rule development to someone else so much the better.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I remember reading about a DIY wargames in a craft book which seemed more complex than what might be expected for a kid's book.

You had stands of infantry, cavalry and cannon moving across a gridded battlemat. Infantry and cavalry traded 1-1 when you ran into the other guy, and when you fired the cannon you used a slingshot to fire paper bullets at the enemy (everything was paper standups).

Is this based on an actual game or was the Usborne writer a closet grog.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thanks all, it is indeed adapted from Little Wars.

Was reading the original text on Gutenberg and in the very first chapter you get stuff like this

H G Wells posted:

One impossible paladin slew in succession nine men and turned defeat to victory, to the extreme exasperation...

H G Wells posted:

...individual freedom of guns turned battles into scandals of crouching concealment; there was too much cover afforded by the books and vast intervals of waiting while the players took aim.

Wargames, wargames never change.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried SLUDGE? Saw it on GMG and it looked interesting, particularly the grimdark Napoleonic style.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Thanks! The purple ones look the best, but boy you were right the shop pictures are all so blurry it looks like these guys made the shots while drunk or high

The GZG-models look good sometimes too, but I appreciate the warning of their quality being off sometimes.

The Namco ships I sadly could not find. Trying to Google any combination of "Namco" and "space ships" just lead me to be flooded with mechas, Yamato and video games. Oddly Google seems to think "Namco" is a code word for "GW space marines" too, which was a nasty surprise. Do you have a link to a shop where I can look at them in more detail?

That's amazing, I did not know that!

Re: Brigade and GZG have the same issue with variable mould quality - with GZG I don't think Jon has really added meaningfully to his starship ranges in recent years. Brigade's newer models are doing by 3D and it really shows through in the quality of the sculpts. They have thankfully moved away from "I'm leaving the undersides completely blank" mentality they had about 15 years ago.

If you're interested in fairly blank canvases for Homeworld/TTA-style paint schemes I used to do some, but the line's gone over to GZG and will be re-released "soon". These were made yonks ago so don't expect anything fancy.

For the plastic ship kits I would search for Space Battleship Yamato rather than going for Namco (or more accurately Bandai who are the toy division).

If you want to spend mad $$$ then Legend of the Galactic Heroes also have some interesting starships.

Edit - Just re-read your post. The Namco/Bandai ships are from Space Battleship Yamato. The one the other goon posted is from one of the non-human factions hence the appearance.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 7, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Do you know if the STLs are available separately? I love the aesthetic of ships from AV:T and AdAstra in general (games are a bit much though) but Shapeways always feels overpriced for questionable printing quality.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

Crossposting from painting thread:

If anyone has purchased Mierce Miniatures, how does the casting quality compare between resin and metal? I'm looking at picking some figs up on sale and I'd rather opt for metal than resin for durability, but I've been burned by some bad metal casting in the past.

I have a resin monster and a couple of 28mm heroes.

Resin casting is good, some flashing and gating but leagues but it's no TTcombat or Finecast.

Metal casting is also decent. Not as sharp as Infinity but it's definitely on the competent end of the spectrum.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
The minis for Void/Urban War still exist and most/all of the line can be had from Scotia Grendel at very competitive rates. Being that Kev White did many of the (older) sculpts they still hold up very well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The day Infinity goes all plastic is the day I get back into it.

There's plastic Infinity miniatures now.

Too bad it's rubbery restic.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

Another thing is that any given player is only likely to buy any given box once. None of the units are really fieldable en-masse.

They should then stick to metal. Their metal casting quality is generally superb and metal is perfect for low model runs.

That or resin.

The only reason to make poo poo out of restic/bonesium is when you need 20x of them for the price of green army men to bulk out an army.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

Or my dream to just get release the files to 3d print.

Outside of someone who can print at scale like GW cranking out space marines, the current state of sculptors cranking out minis on patreon has me living in a golden age

$15 cad can get me 50 sculpts in 3 different poses per sculpt a month. Resin is $50 to print 100+ dudes

If you're lucky enough to be able to run a 3d printer it's fantastic. The rest of us will have to find friends or rely on printers for hire which end up costing more or less the same.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

The few resin prints I've gotten have beautiful quality but they aren't super sturdy. I'd almost consider casting them to do in metal TBH.

My experience as a consumer of 3d prints is the resins seem to have a tradeoff spectrum between tough and rubbery with softer details and hard but brittle with sharp details.

Certainly the guys printing robots and mecha seem to favour the latter and the figure printers the former.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Atlas Hugged posted:

There's just something about the weight of a metal dreadnaught that newer games have never been able to recreate for me.

Yeah, rage-chucking a plastic redemptor at your opponent/nearby wall can't compare to launching 250g of solid pewter.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hedningen posted:

Now I just need to make something people want to buy, and I’m golden.

Have you tried sculpting whatever takes your fancy then adding tits to it and labelling it "pinup"?

Arquinsiel posted:

I remember when 6th edition Warhammer came out the big metal Orc wyvern was a thing that people really liked to throw at each other for some reason. That fucker was heavy and pointy.

I remember the old Slaan. One fat metal fucker on an equally heavy palanquin attached by 4 tiny shoulder joints. And young me didn't know wtf was pinning.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you're not fussy about what you get you can get absolutely huge amounts of kickstarter miniatures direct from China. There's little rhyme or reason to how they've been organised but they cost about as much as army men.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Be aware that Conquest miniatures are 35mm scale so their humans absolutely will not fit in with most other lines other than Kingdom Death.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hedningen posted:

Just lol if you think scale is anything more than a vague suggestion.

To be fair anything from 28 to 32mm is fairly interchangeable unless you really go for the extreme ends of the spectrum (eg realistic 28mm vs super heroic 32mm). The 35mm+ models start to look really big and unless you stick to using them as lone characters they look out of place next to the midgets.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

zerofiend posted:

Yeah the two player starter is packed to the brim with sprues. It is not a fun assembly process.

Their sprue gating leaves a lot to be desired. They gate right on top of angled areas which means you have to be careful with the snipping. At least on the steel legion box I got.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Also how did people enjoy painting ASOIAF models?

They're about the same quality as good boardgame miniatures or unpainted Wizkids stuff. Nowhere near the level of a proper miniature manufacturer.

This was with a significant amount of manual work correcting and painting in details. They'll look nice with effort, but you won't get away with "drybrush + contrast = gg" that you can with some GW stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

EdsTeioh posted:

Aw poo poo man well that just UNsold me on the game. Thanks for that before I dropped $$$.

Don't get me wrong, they're fine but if you're looking for GW/Mantic/Infinity/Conquest quality they ain't it.

Edit - Actually the closest comparison for me would be Zombicide/Blood Rage/HATE and the other CMON BoardMiniGames.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah that unsold me as well.

I live in the middle of nowhere so actually playing is like pulling teeth and asking favors to play games.

I hate wizkid minis and (besides your insane freehand) I think I can paint those to your quality and that's more effort than I'm willing to put in with an existing massive backlog. Right now it's zenethal and contrast or I don't bother.

Like this I did with that method and it came out great for Fallout, but then doing a wizkid mini comes out like

Which was a somewhat similar painting method, the quality of the model and being able to undercoat it helps immensely, otherwise you have to do it the "normal way" which I have little interest until I clear more backlog

Oh yeah, I wasnt at home or I would have taken a photo of some nu-Kroot which was done with drybrush and contrast. The Kroot took less than hour vs the 3+ for one of the ladies and unless you looked really closely you wouldn't even realise the difference. Same technique wouldn't work with the ASOIAF minis as the detail is too soft.

Very much the same boat as your amazing Fallout guy and the much less amazing goblins.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

EdsTeioh posted:

Yes, that, and also that there were certain units that couldn't refuse challenges. Even barring that, the deal would be that you'd drop some sort of daemon prince in a unit of some trash dudes or a vampire count in a unit of skeletons with the express purpose of them being ablative wounds and a delivery system for that character. Once they're in combat, poo poo like skeletons technically sucked compared to like, say a unit of high elf spearmen or even Empire swordsmen so generally one on one the skeletons were going to lose that battle. However, when you add in the vampire count that is going to kill almost an entire front rank by himself, that drastically turns the tides of the battle. The penalty of refusing a duel is that the refusing character had to go to the rear rank and couldn't participate in the battle as they couldn't "reach" the front rank where the fighting was so at that point, the battle was a tarpit but the high cost character wasn't actually able to do anything.

ninja edit: when I say skeletons "technically sucked" I mean 1 on 1 and not the unit as a whole. Between their poo poo of causing fear and being immune to psychology, they were fantastic units.

That was why you always took command with your units. So in this situation you'd have the skeleton champion accept the challenge and have a pillowfight with the wizard while the vampire turned the rest of the unit into slurry.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Vampire with another Heart of Woe and Carstein Ring: :smug:

for those unaware, the Carstein Ring was a one-time respawn, with all magic items renewed... including the HoW :drac:

This exact combo with a strength boosting item. Charge into combat with a Bloodthirster and evaporate it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lumpy posted:

Anyone have a preferred place to buy trees / bushes for 28mm games that ships to the US? Semi-related, S or O scale railroad stuff is usable / close enough, yes?

Lots from China - Amazon, eBay, aliexpress etc

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Covermeinsunshine posted:

If we are doing recomendations - what are my optons for ship to ship combat (fantasy or sf) or mech combat - star wars armada does not interest me? Was considering getting back into dystopian wars (haven't played since spartan games went under).

Also did anyone try Steel Rift?

Full Thrust and Starmada X.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Every wargamer you know has 4+ armies painted and would be thrilled if someone else wanted to push around the space elves they spent a month painting.

OP could get into properly groggy stuff and have arguments on the best way to round the corners of counters.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay you need to explain this to me because I can't even imagine the why let alone caring about the how.

Behold

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I bought it, realised that it was another ruleset designed for Brigade's lines, filled a basket, and then decided not to start yet another diversion I won't play. It's got some interesting complexity to the movement that I suspect will become a nightmare to track.

I have a whole bunch of aeronefs if you ever change your mind and want to help a fellow goon out...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Actually, speaking of warhams and Salute, there was a stall there that looked like it was about teaching you to git gud at 40k, and from what I could tell they laid out one of the four or five tables they had and then just packed the lot up and were empty by 12. I wonder did they massively misjudge the audience or was it something to do with the new rules being announced and their whole deal being kind of dead in the water?

I saw that and was quite curious as well because it didn't look like anything actually happened there. Quite a large area as well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Tbf Salute is all about the weird and creative games on show but this year it was quite disappointing. Most of the games were commercial and fairly standard historicals. I miss the days of Cloudships and MaK.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Presumbably someone ran a game using Machine Krieger kits?

I liked some of the tables on display but I wasn't expecting so much of it to be companies demoing their own game, or to see so many people running games that were just old GW games.

Yeah this. My first experiences with Salute all those years ago was staring in wonder at the Cloudships and Maschinen Krieger games.

There really wasn't that much creativity on show and it was sad. I saw the old Brexit game appear but yeah, nothing like the old Hawk carrier or other centerpiece attractions.

I guess the Dambusters game was a sort of spectacle but it's just a large scale model plane on a flat table.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

The Brexit game caught my attention but I feel like it runs afoul of Poe's Law and I wasn't sure if they were mocking Brexit or just really mad about small boats.

I overheard their opinions on Corbyn during the first unveiling of the game and decided they were definitely wrong uns.

Southern Heel posted:

Snip - spaceships

You should definitely give Full Thrust a go. It's got pseudo-momentum rules and a fairly detailed damage model which lets fairly funky things like ships with guns that cannot fire (due to loss of fire control) or fail to maneuver (engine loss) and just drift out of battle on whatever heading they were last on.

It's hidden written movement - you have thrust factors and you write down your acceleration and turning plans in secret and all movement happens simultaneously. All the weapon systems have a slightly different resolution mechanics which keeps things interesting though the 'standard' weapon system of beams is very straightforward - roll x dice and score successes on 4+ with exploding 6s. Bigger guns shoot further. The system has diy ship building and is very modular. You can keep things simple with just one weapon system or go nuts and have the entire gamut.

I never liked Starmada's system of all the weapons being resolved in the same way with modifiers. Just made everything feel very samey.

All rules are free here https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried the Hammers Slammers Crucible rules before? Suspect it's more historical-style "simulate a battle" rather than a hard-core balanced game but I've taken a shine to the 6mm tanks Brigade put out for it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Oh finally! Just when I'm not doing impulse purchasing, but that's good to know for later.

It's set up to simulate the battles in the stories from what I understand. Everything is built in preset detachments - the poorer quality your troops are, the more units you have per detachment. You use a pool of leadership points to move your units around, and shittier units get less of them. Everyone gets to shoot for free though.

So its highly mobile and flexible small elite forces fighting against big blocks of poor quality troops - everyone's kit has the same stats thought - only the to-hit values and leadership vary between units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Isn't Warzone just like a bad ripoff of 40k which in itself was a ripoff of every sci-fi universe in the 80s?

Except Warzone is still stuck in the Rogue Trader era.