Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SERPUS posted:

Jesus, that's one starter?

It's not, I also see Aquan, Sorylian and Relthoza ships in there, and the starter box only has Terran and Dindrenzi.

Also, I really want to get that box, got a hankering for a Kurak fleet with a bunch of Terran, Sorylian, Hawker and Ryushi ships to choose from for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

And I'm still pissed they completely changed how all my factions ships look so now if I wanted to buy anything new I'd have to redo my entire force because the new ships look nothing like the old ones.

See that doesn't bother me at all, because I'd call it a fleet comprised of ships of various vintage still being kept in service alongside newer units, like every war time fleet ever. I've also been looking through all the existing FSA ships here, and I don't get the part about the new ones looking nothing like the old ones. They all look like evolutionary designs to me.

I can't speak for or against the rules though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Commissar Kip posted:

I'm looking for MDF round bases to base my minis on like in the Gripping Beast pictures. What size would those be?

Those are on the left 20mmx20mm squares, then two columns of 20mmx40mm rectangles, then a column of 40mmx40mm squares, then what looks like a column of 20mmx60mm rectangles - and if they aren't Renedra bases then they're the spitting image of them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 10, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Well, you should be able to user your imagination and overlay a 20mm circle base onto the 20mm square base in the first image and see what it looks like, you're basically just taking the corners off. That image there looks like 25mm round bases to me.

I don't actually know the rules so I can't tell you what's required, but I believe the smaller the base, the surer you need to be about their balance (ie not top heavy enough to topple over), and the amount of mini sticking over the rim that can be damaged or snagged and pulled over. Otherwise either seems to work? :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Worth adding that, for someone who wants to do all the base decorating themselves, Renedra has a pretty rad range of bases for pretty rad prices.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The concept and fluff for Wild West Exodus are from the mind of Romeo, owner, proprietor and shitlord of Battlefoam, so make of that what you will

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm sitting here looking at the Dust: Battlefield kickstarter stuff, partiularly the German walkers, and I'm wondering why Fantasy Flight hasn't crossed these things

To make this

Also who do I email at FFG to provide this idea and take credit tia

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mr.Booger posted:

Fantasy Flight doesn't own the Dust license/line anymore, that's Battlefield (FOW guys) now

I mean the concept, rather than strictly the Dust name. Use the Star Wars licence to make a grid based wargame-cum-boardgame using prepainted walkers and infantry from the prequels.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crossposting from my last two oaths, some Dystopian Wars Republique of France that I've been collecting from the discount bin to reach the free postage threshold when I buy paints and other supplies, mostly because I think they look rad. One day I might even get a game with them, though I'm strongly considering getting some of the Corsec magnetic Omni-Stands because the stock ones feel pretty flimsy and hard to glue straight. Plus I want my skimmers down at 1 inch off the table so they're at a different height from the true fliers.

Magenta Mk I skimming battleship Le Napoléon with 3 Marseille skimming cruisers and 4 Alma skimming frigates

La Rochelle heavy skimming battleship Majesteuex, Magenta Mk II battleships Duguesclin and Inflexible, Cherbourg battlecruisers Tonnant and Conquerant

Bastille Landship Marshal Soult with 8 L'Arman heavy tanks, 8 Focault medium tanks, 4 Marteau bombards, 4 Grele flak tanks and 4 Arbalete land carriers

And yes all my capital ships get names, it's the proper thing to do :france:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 2, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

Firestorm Armad and Planetfall
There is a 28mm Skrimish level for this in development, no rules have been posted but they have shown figures and a tank. Image

They actually released the two player starter box and two allied boxes for Planetfall a month ago, and announced the next batch this week.

Wait 28mm as well? :stare:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

I'm looking to scratch an itch from an idea I have in my mind. My ideal game right now:

Giant robots/mecha
Interchangeable wysiwyg parts
50mmish scale (for the fun of painting)
Warmachine-like location damage
Low mini count
Arena battle
Easy to learn rules

Anyone know a game like this?

http://www.mechafront.com/

Still working on backer fulfillment though, but it meets all of the above... except for the rules, which I haven't actually managed to see yet.

This is the guy who made the initial Robotech proposal to Palladium, before they told him it wasn't going to work and then turned around and took the idea to someone else.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

signalnoise posted:

Welp I went ahead and bought a fuckload of Dust stuff anyways because FFG is having a super crazy sale on it. The bigass 6-leg walkers even are down to like 9 bucks apiece. So I'll be able to speak to it soon I guess.

Battlefield replaced Warfare, which FFG retained the rights to even after their contract ended. Battlefield is what Dust came up with to replace it with their new publisher, Battlefront. All the games use the same minis though, and I'm pretty sure FFG is just dumping their final stock of Warfare branded gear.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

When you run out of FFG Warfare branded boxes, try the new Tactics boxes and the new Studio store, there's a third faction and everything. They just completed a KS I was too short on cash to back, lots of new stuff due to come from that soon as well.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=13488

On why it's not so popular, I think part of the problem is that they launched a minis game with a small amount of stuff, and used a boardgame outfit as their publisher. Not enough publicity, not enough units to suggest longevity and sustain interest, and FFG didn't seem to know how to do it properly. On the one hand, the lessons FFG learned from this really helped them succeed with X Wing. On the other, Dust had to start from scratch again with a new publisher, which added the already mentioned "too many versions" problem.

This is what I found when I was doing some due diligence while the Operation Babylon kickstarter was on anyway.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 20, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Len posted:

What I want in a game doesn't exist but here goes:
*Preferably SciFi
*Larger than skirmish level
*10mm looks neat how do those play?
*I've always been a fan of space bug/mutant style things so if the game has those it's a plus

Ideally it would be a miniature game that feels like I'm pushing a full army worth of space men at other space men but not be as clunky as 40k.

Have you considered Dropzone Commander?

Seems to meet all of your criteria

VV I've seen someone buy a load of plastic army men and crib some pretty basic rules for making the army men shoot each other a bunch, might be worth trying?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Len posted:

Dropzone commander does look really cool but I can't seem to find any sort of reviews for it. How does it play?

Never played it myself, it's on my list of games I want to try one day.

If you have nothing against beasts of war, they have a demo game with two of the Hawk guys here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enxGJE2xNb4

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

News from the front, a HALO spaceship game, could be interesting. No doubt some manor of reskin of the FSA rules, but still.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Oath cross postin', my first three mechs from Mecha Front

NTRabbit posted:

:duckie: OATH COMPLETE :duckie:

Lynx in Alpha configuration

Beta configuration

Gamma configuration

Raptors in Beta and Gamma configurations

Alpha configuration (right), with the other two for fun

Lynx is on a 75mm base, Raptors on 60mm bases, and the scale is 15mm

Looking forward to getting my heavy mech and the rulebook

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 1, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Scut posted:

Shot in the dark here but are there any miniatures games or communities that use abstracted or unconventional miniatures? Tiny cubist sculptures, papercraft, mutated chess pieces, basically anything that leaves lots of room for the imagination to fill the blanks and isn't attempting to create a photo-real or hyper-detailed representation of war-guys.

There's Mobile Frame Zero which uses lego to make minis, or not abstract enough?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

jodai posted:

I think Osprey's big game is Bolt Action, can anyone give a rundown on what's good about that system? I usually lean towards fantasy/scifi but my lgs has some bolt action stuff and the figures look nice.

Try the historicals thread, most people posting there play Bolt Action, Flames of War or Saga

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Zombies are so over, why would they do this?

Look at the eyes, they're all glowing blue. Think about what was back on TV yesterday.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

OH hey, I have a $10 voucher for there, which of those on sale games is worth the time? I'm not interested in Bolt Action right now, otherwise In Her Majesty's Name is the only one I've heard of before. Ronin looks like it could be pretty sweet

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I like all kinds of themes, but fun and not too crunchy it takes forever to learn and play skirmish games are probably my go-to game so far

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

Warlord Games is absolutely delighted to have secured the licence to produce a miniatures game based on the BBC's enormously popular TV series, Doctor Who (back on BBC One on September 19th!). So delighted we might just have a celebratory jelly baby.

As lifelong Doctor Who fans ourselves, we are extremely pleased to have the chance to bring this iconic series to the tabletop with a game system you all know and love as well as the official range of miniatures to complement it.

The licence covers not just the latest series of Doctor Who but encompasses all of the Doctors, their companions and their foes. So, expect to see Sea Devils as much as Weeping Angels, Leela as much as Martha Jones, and a long, brightly coloured scarf as much as a fez (fezzes are cool, by the way...).

We'll bring you news, previews and work-in-progress in the coming weeks and months. Keep an eye on the Warlord Games website and weekly email newsletter for further details.

We've also created a dedicated Doctor Who Miniatures Game website where you'll find more information as we get it.

:ducksiren:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the deal with the two types of cruiser having the same stats? Is it based on how you orient the engines or something?

One cruiser is one of the older, original models, the other is one of the brand new ones. It's their way of keeping legacy fleets alive without having to stat and balance all of the old and all of the new.

http://theblackocean.com/fleetrecog.html

You can see the different generations of design here

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Serotonin posted:

Ah right. The metal deals are all showing as out of stock now though. :(

I imagine they did quite a bit of trade when they put on their black friday sale

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

Clam dude is the leader for the lobster guys.

What kind of upside down world is this, where lobster is slave to clam?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Malthusian posted:

I'm a backer of Deadzone 1 (but not Infestation), and I thought we were supposed to be sent a copy of the rules, but I haven't gotten one yet. Any ETA of that pdf, or did I miss it already?

Infestation backers got an email from Mantic Digital on March 18/19 with a coupon code to get the digital rules for free. The March 25 update confirmed that, and said original backers should be getting their email "shortly", so might be worth checking your inbox and spam filter, as a lot of people found it there. Otherwise, send Mantic a Kickstarter PM.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 12, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Looks like Spartan had Halo Ground Wars going as well

https://www.facebook.com/spartangames/posts/1110553769014502

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

goodness posted:

Is that 6mm scifi?

Dystopian Wars is 1/1200, which is roughly 1.3mm

Dystopian Legions is 28mm

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know some goons were into All Quiet on the Martian Front before it died a rapid and unexpected death, apparently the license has been bought and revived by Ironclad Games

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I got my kickstarter shipment from Heavy Gear Blitz this week, and while I can't speak for the rules yet, the hard plastic sprues that have come out of it are excellent; they've really put a lot of thought into the design and engineering, and the manufacturing is quality as well. I wish the Robotech stuff had the same amount of thought put into it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was it a different minis game than Warlord's? Because I've been seeing Dredd mini's on Warlord's site for a long time.

It was a partnership between the two, and if you want any of the minis you'd best get to it, because Warlord is liquidating the final stock with a sale right now

Thundercloud posted:

They have been about to launch Warriors of Antiquity, a historical skirmish mini rules set in partnership with Victrix, for the last 18 months. They missed the biggest window of opportunity, when Age of Sigmar hit and lots of people were looking for a new game, and again nothing seems to have happened since then. Matt seems to spend most of his time promoting another companies product now (Age of loving Sigmar) and selling rpg stuff.

Why would he go to the trouble of trying to finish developing, release, and promote his own game when the perfect game to end all games already came out :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 4, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/catalogue/category/fantasy-flight-games_158/

Bunch of Dust stuff on sale very cheap, probably works for Konflikt '47 too if none of the Dust games are your thing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lilljonas posted:

Isn't Malifaux very close when it comes to style?

Wolsung is probably closer again

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warlord announced they'd picked up the 2000 AD license yesterday, first game off the ranks is going to be based on Strontium Dog, with more stuff to follow.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds like a new game, at least to start with

quote:

WARLORD GAMES OBTAIN 2000 AD MINIATURES LICENCE
December 14, 2016

Warlord Games is to produce a new line of miniatures and games based on the legendary British comic book, 2000 AD.

The worldwide licence covers miniatures games, scenery and collectable miniatures sets based on series and characters from weekly comic, which is the home of Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Nemesis the Warlock, and a whole galaxy of characters from over 40 years.

Game development and designs are in the very early stages but initial plans are for a game based on the world of Strontium Dog, the popular futuristic Wild West-style series where mutated humans such as Johnny Alpha are forced to become bounty hunters.

Paul Sawyer, Head of Product Design at Warlord Games, says “Many of us at Warlord are ardent 2000 AD fans so the chance to take on a licence to work with the stories we grew up with and continue to avidly enjoy was something of a dream come true. We have many ideas to bring the wonderful stories from our favourite strips – old and new – to the tabletop and work had begun in earnest to do justice (pun intended) to Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Flesh, Slaine, Kingdom and many of their sister strips. If a mere Earthlet might dare to quote The Mighty Tharg, this is going to be scrotnig!”.

Keith Richardson, licensing manager for 2000 AD, said: “Knowing how many of the Warlord staff are fans of 2000 AD and seeing the wonderful craftsmanship in their work has me really excited. Together I’m positive that we will produce some truly zarjaz games!”

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Reaper makes Sectoids in metal and bonesium, just search for alien

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Seriously? I got my backer reward in 2015, what's taking them so long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spiderdrake posted:

I've found little luck in discussing stuff in the KS thread.

Have you tried discussing an RPG?

West Wind has a weird war mech project up as well, for their Secrets of the Third Reich game

Also because it's gonna get lost in RPG general chat, Dream Pod 9 of Heavy Gear fame put up their Jovian Wars space ship minis game project; might be a little late to the space party, but they definitely have a unique aesthetic compared to all of the others, very Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 16, 2017